ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The love Cashman has for Hicks has always left
me baffled. I'm now guessing he thought he made out, because 70 million for 10 years is cheap. I believe Hicks took it as security for him and his family And the way he looks at it now is " I'll have some fun and stay healthy and have a stress free life." No goals for RBIs, Homer's, or batting average.
+1
Don't understand the Hicks fascination either. One more chance to prove himself over a full season or it is time to move on.

Time to get it done. All signs point to yes soon.
I'm above a 50/50 possibility now. Toronto was the biggest threat.
Realmuto is still the big money spend. Have no idea where goes. And unlike most players he will go where he really wants to go and not go to the highest bidder. Years above $$ too.

How is this even a negotiation? DJ's agent throws out some numbers and we just agree to it. Based upon his recent numbers and the importance to the team, it just needs to get done.

How is this even a negotiation? DJ's agent throws out some numbers and we just agree to it. Based upon his recent numbers and the importance to the team, it just needs to get done.
Like Realmuto's future deal I think both are less about annual salary but more about years. Sounds like DJ is looking five years.

Tender or non tender for Sanchez? Seems most believe that they will tender a contract but since they haven't yet there is still hope.

Tender or non tender for Sanchez? Seems most believe that they will tender a contract but since they haven't yet there is still hope.

Beyond JT, the FA market for Catchers is lack-luster. Sanchez is still arbitration eligible - so if they bring him back at ~$6M for one year it won't break the bank. Rather than letting him go for nothing, can try to increase his trade value or if that does not work, cut him at a later time.

Beyond JT, the FA market for Catchers is lack-luster. Sanchez is still arbitration eligible - so if they bring him back at ~$6M for one year it won't break the bank. Rather than letting him go for nothing, can try to increase his trade value or if that does not work, cut him at a later time.
Disagree on the lack luster catchers market. Realmuto, Molina and McCann have a lot of interest and giving Sanchez $6million for part time work isn't a good deal for anyone except Sanchez.

And....................... they did.😝

Like someone else mentioned... hope he gets hot enough to dump to some team that's desperate.
Dumb choice. You can't get a bag of shells for him. They need a real catcher.

Reactions: MitchLL
Jim Bowden was doing one of his click bait articles about "one possible trade" for each MLB team. He mentioned a potential Wilson Contreras for Andujar, Clarke Schmidt trade. I thought that was good for both sides. Contreras has really improved his defense and would probably bomb a crap ton of homers in NY.

Jim Bowden was doing one of his click bait articles about "one possible trade" for each MLB team. He mentioned a potential Wilson Contreras for Andujar, Clarke Schmidt trade. I thought that was good for both sides. Contreras has really improved his defense and would probably bomb a crap ton of homers in NY.
Why would the Yanks consider trading Schmidt ?

Disagree on the lack luster catchers market. Realmuto, Molina and McCann have a lot of interest and giving Sanchez $6million for part time work isn't a good deal for anyone except Sanchez.

It doesn't make sense to run a business on pure emotion. I indicated that JT was the exception, also he will command over $20M per year. Molina will be 39 years old. McCann is lack-luster and may end up costing over $10M per. Until the Yankees have another catcher in hand, it made no sense cutting Sanchez loose. $6M is a back-up range MLB catcher salary .

Dumb choice. You can't get a bag of shells for him. They need a real catcher.

So essentially your philosophy in life is to sell low and buy high. Got it.

It doesn't make sense to run a business on pure emotion. I indicated that JT was the exception, also he will command over $20M per year. Molina will be 39 years old. McCann is lack-luster and may end up costing over $10M per. Until the Yankees have another catcher in hand, it made no sense cutting Sanchez loose. $6M is a back-up range MLB catcher salary .

So essentially your philosophy in life is to sell low and buy high. Got it.
No my philosophy on life is too never throw good money after bad.
The highest trade value for Sanchez was 2 years ago. Wake up.

Makes sense to sign Sanchez, I mean, what are you going to d, just let a guy you have invested so much time in just walk away and have no chance of getting anything for him. If the Yanks sign another catcher, there will be a market for Sanchez. You may not get a big time player for him but maybe a serviceable middle relief and either draft picks or a couple of prospects. And in the scheme of things, the money given for him is not that big of a deal.

No my philosophy on life is too never throw good money after bad.
The highest trade value for Sanchez was 2 years ago. Wake up.

Your acting as if this is coming out of your personal bank account. Sanchez total salary over the past 6 seasons is less than $4M (that averages to about $750K per season) - so not sure how the Yanks spent "Bad" money. Further his estimated arbitration figure for 2021 by MLB standards $6M is not "good" money. It is platoon catcher level salary. So your point makes no sense. Sanchez trade value from 2 years ago also is irrelevant at this point. If you don't have a replacement for him on the current roster, you take actions to fix him and/or raise his value until you secure that replacement and/or he is fixed.

Reactions: Kbee3
Your acting as if this is coming out of your personal bank account. Sanchez total salary over the past 6 seasons is less than $4M (that averages to about $750K per season) - so not sure how the Yanks spent "Bad" money. Further his estimated arbitration figure for 2021 by MLB standards $6M is not "good" money. It is platoon catcher level salary. So your point makes no sense. Sanchez trade value from 2 years ago also is irrelevant at this point. If you don't have a replacement for him on the current roster, you take actions to fix him and/or raise his value until you secure that replacement and/or he is fixed.
You cut him and get a better catcher and hitter easily.
Fix him? Have you watched his game? It's going backwards. Did you watch the playoffs last year where he was benched nearly every game. The Yankees don't trust him anymore. Why do you??
Your love affair with a has been is crazy and you have zero business sense. Turn the page and move on.

Reactions: coldsprings
Why would the Yanks consider trading Schmidt ?
Are the Yankees going to stick with him and give him a chance to start? If not, they're better off trading him for a true position of need at a good price. Recent track history with young Yankees starters has not been good, in my opinion.

This...Yankees are not really paying him starting catcher money. Even if it goes to trade deadline and a team feels it really needs a power bat at DH who may be able to catch a few games- he would have some value. And even if he is batting .200 his 12-20 HR's at the time would have had at least some positive impact.

Though, 2 years ago- Yankees could have named their price for him.

Last chance hotel for Sanchez. They give him winter league, spring training and 125 at bats when season starts to see if he can get back to anything close to where he was 2 yrs ago. He’s pocket change for the yanks so it’s worth final shot, although he’s been brutal last couple yrs

You cut him and get a better catcher and hitter easily.
Fix him? Have you watched his game? It's going backwards. Did you watch the playoffs last year where he was benched nearly every game. The Yankees don't trust him anymore. Why do you??
Your love affair with a has been is crazy and you have zero business sense. Turn the page and move on.

Again, you said the same thing about Frazier and wanted to cut him when he had post concussion syndrome. Your judgment is clouded. I DON'T even like Sanchez, but I'm looking at this from an unemotional purely business based standpoint as opposed to the emotional wreck drama queen type you continue to be on this board. Of course the Yankees did not trust him in the playoffs, his strikeout ratio spiked last year from a league average (~ 20%) to over 40%...and he went from crushing the fastball to not being able to hit it at all in 1 season. These guys are human, not robots. obviously something is going on in Sanchez' head. He has the physical tools, he is supposedly a hard worker, he's not a clubhouse problem, not a criminal nor a wife beater, he hasn't been accused of juicing......he performed for Girardi.....maybe he needs to be coached differently........maybe he need's a shrink and try to fix him. This is a very small investment - If it works, it will pay for itself multi-fold either on the field or in trade value. If it doesn't work and options are exhausted, then you pull the trigger. Easy ....Peasy.

Again, you said the same thing about Frazier and wanted to cut him when he had post concussion syndrome. Your judgment is clouded. I DON'T even like Sanchez, but I'm looking at this from an unemotional purely business based standpoint as opposed to the emotional wreck drama queen type you continue to be on this board. Of course the Yankees did not trust him in the playoffs, his strikeout ratio spiked last year from a league average (~ 20%) to over 40%...and he went from crushing the fastball to not being able to hit it at all in 1 season. These guys are human, not robots. obviously something is going on in Sanchez' head. He has the physical tools, he is supposedly a hard worker, he's not a clubhouse problem, not a criminal nor a wife beater, he hasn't been accused of juicing......he performed for Girardi.....maybe he needs to be coached differently........maybe he need's a shrink and try to fix him. This is a very small investment - If it works, it will pay for itself multi-fold either on the field or in trade value. If it doesn't work and options are exhausted, then you pull the trigger. Easy ....Peasy.
So true.
My guess is that they'll try one more time to fix him. And If it doesn't work, they'll hope a change of scenery might work and trade him for whatever they can get.

So true.
My guess is that they'll try one more time to fix him. And If it doesn't work, they'll hope a change of scenery might work and trade him for whatever they can get.
For the investment they are making this year- why not try to correct this guy. His rookie and 2nd year shows he has the potential to be a difference maker in any lineup. It isn't like you are throwing him stupid money.

You keep saying $6 plus million is a very small investment. You do understand the Yankees aren't going over the cap in 2021 so $6 million for a benched catcher is a lot of money. It's not emotional. Your the one that can't forget what he was and expect him to return to greatness. The fact is he might but it will probably be with another team as a DH because he has never been a good father since he was 16. Using $6 million of the cap money isn't money well spent for a terrible power hitter and an awful catcher.
It's not personal It's business.
Yankees have a lot of holes to fill.

The Yanks say they want to get under the cap, that doesn't mean they will. I don't see anyway they can unless they only add 1 or maybe 2 pieces. I think they will blow past that.

The Yanks say they want to get under the cap, that doesn't mean they will. I don't see anyway they can unless they only add 1 or maybe 2 pieces. I think they will blow past that.
The narrative keeps coming up from them on how much money they lost last year. Doesn't sound like a team looking to break the bank. They are out on Realmuto. Trying to get DJ cheap. Are relying on pitchers that didn't pitch last year. Where is the big money move??

You keep saying $6 plus million is a very small investment. You do understand the Yankees aren't going over the cap in 2021 so $6 million for a benched catcher is a lot of money. It's not emotional. Your the one that can't forget what he was and expect him to return to greatness. The fact is he might but it will probably be with another team as a DH because he has never been a good father since he was 16. Using $6 million of the cap money isn't money well spent for a terrible power hitter and an awful catcher.
Yeah, but the fact of the matter is if you cut him loose, you have to sign someone. They've drafted a few catchers high in the last three years or so but none of them is ready, and they all missed a year of development this season. There is no answer yet in the system. So who do you sign? They're not going out and signing Realmuto, we all know that. We'll be lucky to get DJ and Tanaka back. SO we have McCann, Molina, Ro, Zunino, Castro? They all have their warts. McCann is blah with no upside at the same price, Molina is as old as Beaced, Ro was Dirty's backup and the other two strike out even more than him. So what are we gaining? The only logical choice is to bring him back and hope that this jacked up season was an aberration. If it's not, the kids will be one year further along, revenues will be more normalized, and they'll address it then. Whether we like it or not, they're kicking the can a year and taking a chance that they can still fix him. It is what it is.

Reactions: RUDave_01 and Kbee3
Yeah, but the fact of the matter is if you cut him loose, you have to sign someone. They've drafted a few catchers high in the last three years or so but none of them is ready, and they all missed a year of development this season. There is no answer yet in the system. So who do you sign? They're not going out and signing Realmuto, we all know that. We'll be lucky to get DJ and Tanaka back. SO we have McCann, Molina, Ro, Zunino, Castro? They all have their warts. McCann is blah with no upside at the same price, Molina is as old as Beaced, Ro was Dirty's backup and the other two strike out even more than him. So what are we gaining? The only logical choice is to bring him back and hope that this jacked up season was an aberration. If it's not, the kids will be one year further along, revenues will be more normalized, and they'll address it then. Whether we like it or not, they're kicking the can a year and taking a chance that they can still fix him. It is what it is.
There actually catchers they can get for 1 or 2 million a year who are miles better than he his.

The narrative keeps coming up from them on how much money they lost last year. Doesn't sound like a team looking to break the bank. They are out on Realmuto. Trying to get DJ cheap. Are relying on pitchers that didn't pitch last year. Where is the big money move??
I think they'l get DJ and then add a bunch of depth pickups. 2 starting pitchers, at least 1 reliever. A left handed bat for somewhere off the bench. Perhaps blow past was too strong a word but I think they'll go over based upon others being conservative on the market and the Yanks jumping at opportunity.

I think they'l get DJ and then add a bunch of depth pickups. 2 starting pitchers, at least 1 reliever. A left handed bat for somewhere off the bench. Perhaps blow past was too strong a word but I think they'll go over based upon others being conservative on the market and the Yanks jumping at opportunity.
If they go over than go way over. Otherwise stay under and restart the payroll tax to its lowest level. If they knew that they would get 4 months of unlimited capacity at the Stadium I'd think they would be big players but right now no one has a clue.

Are there any local rumblings about Kluber to the Yanks? Wherever I read that, it was rumored that the Mets were going hard after McCann.

If they go over than go way over. Otherwise stay under and restart the payroll tax to its lowest level. If they knew that they would get 4 months of unlimited capacity at the Stadium I'd think they would be big players but right now no one has a clue.
I agree with this mostly, but a hard reset is not 100% essential as they reset a few years ago. However, I'm sure they want to save some money and don't want to spend anything on luxury tax if they can avoid it.

I agree with this mostly, but a hard reset is not 100% essential as they reset a few years ago. However, I'm sure they want to save some money and don't want to spend anything on luxury tax if they can avoid it.
The current luxury tax only takes 3 straight years to get to the 50% tax rate. Gets expensive quickly.

When you are the fastest catcher in BASEBALL HISTORY and the fastest player (any position) to reach 100 home runs.............you pay 6 million and give it one more chance.

When you are the fastest catcher in BASEBALL HISTORY and the fastest player (any position) to reach 100 home runs.............you pay 6 million and give it one more chance.
If home run history was important than he wouldn't have been benched in the playoffs. But he was because past perfomance takes a backseat to current performance.

Reactions: MitchLL
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT