ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020-2021 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If home run history was important than he wouldn't have been benched in the playoffs. But he was because past perfomance takes a backseat to current performance.

If every player was cut based on recency bias, in a game where HOF level excellence might be succeeding just 30% over an extended period of time, there would be no one left on the roster.

If every player was cut based on recency bias, in a game where HOF level excellence might be succeeding just 30% over an extended period of time, there would be no one left on the roster.
Try just 14.7% of the time and he can't play the field.

The current luxury tax only takes 3 straight years to get to the 50% tax rate. Gets expensive quickly.
I didn't know that. That would definitely make the case of no luxury tax stronger, especially if there are no fans. Hopefully, they can open it up starting in April.

I didn't know that. That would definitely make the case of no luxury tax stronger, especially if there are no fans. Hopefully, they can open it up starting in April.
The virtual winter meetings are working on when baseball may start. Don't count on a 162 game season in 2021. Don't book a spring training trip just yet.

You keep saying $6 plus million is a very small investment. You do understand the Yankees aren't going over the cap in 2021 so $6 million for a benched catcher is a lot of money. It's not emotional. Your the one that can't forget what he was and expect him to return to greatness. The fact is he might but it will probably be with another team as a DH because he has never been a good father since he was 16. Using $6 million of the cap money isn't money well spent for a terrible power hitter and an awful catcher.
It's not personal It's business.
Yankees have a lot of holes to fill.
What the heck does not being a good father have with ability to play baseball? Also never heard that about him or even that he had kids.

Try just 14.7% of the time and he can't play the field.

Again, you are basing all of your decisions with recency bias in a virus shortened season. Career .236. 116 OPS+, 320 OBP, .502 Slugging %. His defense is deficient only on extremely low pitches and that may be technique related. You have to look at the entire picture, not just cherry pick the most recent. This is not a high risk contract - only one year extension and worth another look.

He was benched. They certainly thought it was a big enough sample to have the backup catcher start most of the games in the playoffs.

Again, you are basing all of your decisions with recency bias in a virus shortened season. Career .236. 116 OPS+, 320 OBP, .502 Slugging %. His defense is deficient only on extremely low pitches and that may be technique related. You have to look at the entire picture, not just cherry pick the most recent. This is not a high risk contract - only one year extension and worth another look.
So his defense is only bad on low pitches? Well that's great considering how many pitchers use a slider in the dirt to finish off a batter.

So his defense is only bad on low pitches? Well that's great considering how many pitchers use a slider in the dirt to finish off a batter.

I didn't say bad, I said deficient - meaning that everyone calls him a crappy defensive catcher, but within the framework of his overall catching skills, this appears to be the only real issue. Can it be fixed? I hope so, but the conversation was in the framework of bringing Sanchez back for 1 year at $6M. His hitting was certainly an issue last year, especially effected by his Strike Out ratio. Some believe this can be fixed based on his performance in previous years (I am among those). In terms of his defense, people like to point out his propensity for passed balls.......interesting that Realmuto averages ~6.5 passed balls per season and everyone raves about him (and he will make >$20M per season)......and Sanchez averages ~8.5 passed balls per season (only 2 more per season) - and he is considered complete dog-sh!t in this regard.

Reactions: Kbee3
So finally it's looking like Cashman and the Yankees are getting back to business after sitting on their hand for months. Many reports that Yankees and DJ LeMahieu are close to a deal. Getting DJ on the field and in the line up was the #1 priority. Until they get this deal done the Yankees won't be involved in any other Major League deal. Get this done now and get back to work!

It is a move the Yanks really need to just get done- this guy is the glue to your team. And even at 32, he is not the type of batter that will age quickly and fall off the table. He is not a "power" hitter and doesn't rely on speed. At 37 or so- I would be willing to still pencil in a .290 or better Average with gap power and clutch as always.

Reactions: RU89
So finally it's looking like Cashman and the Yankees are getting back to business after sitting on their hand for months. Many reports that Yankees and DJ LeMahieu are close to a deal. Getting DJ on the field and in the line up was the #1 priority. Until they get this deal done the Yankees won't be involved in any other Major League deal. Get this done now and get back to work!
6 years and $90M...sounds kinda low. What am I missing?

Another win for Cashman. A lot of people. just wanted him to bid against himself because they were impatient and wanted a signing. Now, everyone wins and we can figure out the rotation. There is NO MONEY to be found out there from many teams. The Yankees should sweep up the crumbs at this point and make some moves because the players are over a barrel and there's no way to fix it.

Another win for Cashman. A lot of people. just wanted him to bid against himself because they were impatient and wanted a signing. Now, everyone wins and we can figure out the rotation. There is NO MONEY to be found out there from many teams. The Yankees should sweep up the crumbs at this point and make some moves because the players are over a barrel and there's no way to fix it.
And waiting hasn't lost them anything. Most FAs that the Yanks should be interested in are still on the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhuarc
The Yankees need starting pitching, as do a lot of teams, but Cashman think you can overcome pitching with home runs. That may work very well in the regular season has routinely failed in the playoffs.
And before anyone posts about Severino and German should be back, you can't count on players that have missed a season. We saw that with Montgomery last year.

Reactions: biker7766
The Yankees need starting pitching, as do a lot of teams, but Cashman think you can overcome pitching with home runs. That may work very well in the regular season has routinely failed in the playoffs.
And before anyone posts about Severino and German should be back, you can't count on players that have missed a season. We saw that with Montgomery last year.
Agree with you, have to plan on getting zero from Severino next year given the injuries he is coming off. If he comes back and is effective, then thats a plus.

It is a move the Yanks really need to just get done- this guy is the glue to your team. And even at 32, he is not the type of batter that will age quickly and fall off the table. He is not a "power" hitter and doesn't rely on speed. At 37 or so- I would be willing to still pencil in a .290 or better Average with gap power and clutch as always.
DJ best player on the team. I dont care what anyone says I know Judge sells alot of jerseys and puts alot of people in the stands but the one thing he doesn't put in is a lot of innings a year. I would trade him and get value while you can. Hes not going to magically find good health as he gets older. They need to move Sanchez and Stamton as well. They need to work on getting better not bigger

Reactions: RW90 and biker7766
DJ best player on the team. I dont care what anyone says I know Judge sells alot of jerseys and puts alot of people in the stands but the one thing he doesn't put in is a lot of innings a year. I would trade him and get value while you can. Hes not going to magically find good health as he gets older. They need to move Sanchez and Stamton as well. They need to work on getting better not bigger
Sanchez is easy. Just not resign him next year. Stanton sadly isn't going anywhere. The dumbest trade in baseball ever. Yanks can't trade him or cut him.

They will get something. Now that they don't need a true #1, they should be able to find a mid-level guy or 2 with the kids being backups. DJ had to get done first.

Sanchez is easy. Just not resign him next year. Stanton sadly isn't going anywhere. The dumbest trade in baseball ever. Yanks can't trade him or cut him.
As you said- it isn't horrible at the $$$ to live with Sanchez - he actually could come back with a monster year at the plate...and then you decide what to do. Stanton- no chance at all he is going anywhere unless the Yanks are picking up most of the $$$...does he have a no trade clause? Don't remember...On the other hand- he isn't really a negative if he can stay healthy but his money is.

Kluber?

Reactions: WhiteBus
As you said- it isn't horrible at the $$$ to live with Sanchez - he actually could come back with a monster year at the plate...and then you decide what to do. Stanton- no chance at all he is going anywhere unless the Yanks are picking up most of the $$$...does he have a no trade clause? Don't remember...On the other hand- he isn't really a negative if he can stay healthy but his money is.

If he has a big year he will be a tradeable commodity - although the Yanks will likely have to pick up a portion of his salary. Note that the Marlins are on the hook to pick up $10M per year for the last 3 years of Stanton's contract.

Tiajuan Walker & Kluber

Rotation would be:

1 - Cole
2 - Kluber
3 - Walker
4 & 5 - competition: Montgomery, German, Garcia, Severino

Other options - Loaisiga, Schmidt, King
Not interested in Walker. I’m fine with Montgomery, German, Severino and Garcia battling for the 3-5 spots.

Reactions: Kbee3
If he has a big year he will be a tradeable commodity - although the Yanks will likely have to pick up a portion of his salary. Note that the Marlins are on the hook to pick up $10M per year for the last 3 years of Stanton's contract.
Stanton has a no trade clause. He loves being on the Yankees. The only other team he would go to is the Dodgers and the Dodgers want no part of him. He isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: czxqa
Tiajuan Walker & Kluber

Rotation would be:

1 - Cole
2 - Kluber
3 - Walker
4 & 5 - competition: Montgomery, German, Garcia, Severino

Other options - Loaisiga, Schmidt, King
To be happy with this is to hope Seve gets back to a 1/2 spot...DJ was a huge part of your offseason but need at least 1 or 2 starters to be really happy. Not saying two big names but you do need help here

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT