ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft - should Redskins consider Tua at #2?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Was listening to a mock draft podcast and they raised the question:
Should be the Redskins consider a QB - specifically Tua - at #2?

New HC.
Haskins wasn't great last year.
Everyone seems iffy on Haskins as a long term solution anyway.

Cardinals already broke the seal on this process - dumping Josh Rosen (#10 pick) after 1 year to pick Kyler Murray #1 overall the next year.

To extend further - I think Jones showed enough last year that the Giants dont need to consider a QB (not that Gettleman would anyway).

As a Dolphins fan, with the team sitting at #5, needing a QB, but with ammo to move up at least, I say no way should Washington take Tua!

Reactions: gnamur
Rosen turned out really bad though. I don't think Haskins is comparable to that mess. Plus, with Ron Rivera as the new head coach, I have to think he's going to be pushing to stay at 2 to take Chase Young. He's a once a decade player.

I'm a Skins fan and want to see them develop Haskins. If they pick Young and pair him up with Sweat, their defense pass rush is going to be crazy. They won't get a good deal for Haskins so it would be stupid to dump him. He was much better at the end of the year and just needs more time.

Reactions: jorand
Rivera is blowing everything up (which is good)...... If he doesn't want Cam Newton... then yes, Tua w/b the choice (though I personally would stick with Chase Young)...

As a Giants fan I want someone to move up to take Tua.

This puts the Giants pick at #4 in play as teams like the Chargers may scramble to trade up & take Herbert.

If Gettleman's plan is to take on OL at #4, hopefully he can trade down, add some picks and still have his choice of almost any of the OL on the board

Reactions: RU-1975
Way too injury prone to risk at 2. I think he's too big a risk even in the top 10, but it sounds like someone will scoop him up somewhere in that range.

I'm a Skins fan and want to see them develop Haskins. If they pick Young and pair him up with Sweat, their defense pass rush is going to be crazy. They won't get a good deal for Haskins so it would be stupid to dump him. He was much better at the end of the year and just needs more time.
Ya, take Young, give Haskins a year to prove himself, and if he falls flat, you guys will likely stink, and you can draft a QB next year.

Id take young, safer pick. Kyle Allen pick up is a lil insurance for haskins. Hopefully land a sleeper at Qb. Can Always try free agency for a QB.

Gotta love the internet GM's who have never broken down

game tapes or practice tapes. When does rutgersal chime in?

I love Tua and have been a fan of him since that National Title game (I still pat myself on the back for telling everybody in my house at halftime that Saban needed to put him in). But he's extremely injury prone and people need to remember he had arguably the best group of receivers ever at Bama...
Ridley- First round pick, even though Tua had him just for that one Championship game.
Jeudy- Top 15 pick most likely
Ruggs- Possible first round pick
Jalen Waddle- Will be a high pick next season
Davonte Smith Also going to be a high pick next season.

I think Washington takes Young, and as a Dolphins fan I hope we trade up to 3 and take Tua just because, despite everything I just said, he probably has the highest ceiling. And we suck every year anyway so who cares.

I think he's supremely overrated. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
Might be the dumbest thing I’ve read in awhile. The guy is ridiculously accurate and has a cannon. You can hate on Alabama and that’s fine, but Tua is the teal deal. Everyone know that

I love Tua and have been a fan of him since that National Title game (I still pat myself on the back for telling everybody in my house at halftime that Saban needed to put him in). But he's extremely injury prone and people need to remember he had arguably the best group of receivers ever at Bama...
Ridley- First round pick, even though Tua had him just for that one Championship game.
Jeudy- Top 15 pick most likely
Ruggs- Possible first round pick
Jalen Waddle- Will be a high pick next season
Davonte Smith Also going to be a high pick next season.

I think Washington takes Young, and as a Dolphins fan I hope we trade up to 3 and take Tua just because, despite everything I just said, he probably has the highest ceiling. And we suck every year anyway so who cares.
Reminds of watching that game with my boys. I let them take the next day off of school so they could watch the whole thing. My youngest was 9 at the time and he flat out said, “ they need to start Tua in the second half”. Terrific memory

Reactions: Spare130
Ya, take Young, give Haskins a year to prove himself, and if he falls flat, you guys will likely stink, and you can draft a QB next year.
Exactly. I don't see the point of taking a chance on another QB when you have no good receivers for him to throw to. Focus on defense, become competitive, then build up the offense.

Exactly. I don't see the point of taking a chance on another QB when you have no good receivers for him to throw to. Focus on defense, become competitive, then build up the offense.
Are you guys going to Blowy for Joey?
:)

As I Giants fan I hope they don’t take Tua and stick with Haskins. This game is all about the QB and Haskins sucks.

I also hope the Cowboys sign Prescott to a lifetime contract.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I think he's supremely overrated. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

He's properly rated as the 2nd best QB in this draft. Taking him or Young is a tough decision, QB is the most important position in today's NFL, and stopping the QB is 2nd. A healthy Tua has a higher ceiling, but Young offers a higher floor, so I guess it depends on the team's risk aversion.

Ted Nguyen on the Athletic had an excellent breakdown on him yesterday, https://theathletic.com/1645127/202...oa-is-tantalizing-but-he-comes-with-concerns/ . Also somewhat related he had an excellent how to watch football film article that explains a ton of concepts, https://theathletic.com/1145757/201...ike-an-expert-from-the-comfort-of-your-couch/ .

During the outbreak the Athletic has made their articles free for 90 days

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT