ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Giants 2020 Season Thread

Didn't watch much of that game other than very early and then the last 4-5 minutes. But watching the replay of that Jones run turned face dive provided some nice comic relief this morning.

As Chris Berman would say........rumblin, bumblin, stumblin he could go all the way. But he doesn't .

I’ve been down on him too, but his interception hit Engram in the hands, his fumble was bad but the game was already over.
The offensive line is terrible, specifically Thomas. Jones seems like he’s running for his life every play.
The only way the Giants stayed in the game was that the Eagles O-line was as poor at protecting their qb as the Giants' was.
And yes....it may be time to move on from Engram.

Last edited:
Disagree. Looked like his arms were not fully extended and It went through his hands. Something was off with him last night.....lapse in concentration caused the deflection off his hands and the INT in first quarter as well.
I thought that was pretty standard Engram. I'm not going so far as those above who say he's a bad player, but he's certainly not a good player. He's OK. The problem for the Giants is an OK player is one of our best weapons.

I'm still a proponent of Jones, he's one of the best running QB's in the league and he has a great arm. As far as raw materials go, he's as complete as any QB in the league.

But clearly he is having trouble getting acclimated to the speed of the game. Was the stumble a sign of a player who just isn't able achieve what his physical ability seems to have laid out directly in front of him? Or is it just a lesson that he doesn't need to push it to the breaking point in order to outrun the opposition?

And he needs to figure out the fumbling. Last nights fumble meant nothing but it is yet another turnover thrown onto the pile.

I saw an interesting video about blocking punches in a fight, and it reminded me of Barkley's blitz blocking issues. When I was OL in HS I struggled with blitzes at first because I was trying to "block" them. They would rush and I would try to follow and/or anticipate their movement. That's asking for trouble because it makes you the nail and not the hammer. Its much better to attack the blocking and look to pop him good before he pops you. Skill position players trying to block dont always get that. Carl Banks also said Barkley needed to hit people with attitude. The linked video says the same thing. Anyone trying to learn to pick-up blitzes should learn to become the hammer and dont sit back waiting to be the nail. Forcefully attacking haymakers is better than just trying to just strategically block them

Just not a clutch QB. Still making too many rookie mistakes this many games into his second season.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
I think it’s time to start thinking about moving on from Jones. He did some nice things, but the 2 INTs in the second half lost this game....and it’s the same old story.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
Seriously? My post was about Daniel Jones, not the NY Giants.

Eli sucked his first three years and that was on a decent team. Bradshaw was awful his first years. I really don't know when it began where QBs had to be good right away. Some are if they have a decent team to begine but Giants are worst team in NFL over last 5 years. Now even Hernandez isn't playing

I love sports analogies .....Daniel Jones is a 4th starter. 7 innings 1 run , next game 2 and a 1/3 innings 6 runs , ZERO consistency.

he is doing just enough to make giants go with OL Sewell for Oregon or best DL/DE

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
I think it’s time to start thinking about moving on from Jones. He did some nice things, but the 2 INTs in the second half lost this game....and it’s the same old story.
I agree. Tonight's game made me check out the quarterbacks available in the draft.
Decision making is sorta important for a qb. Jones has not shown that to be one of his strengths.

Reactions: tico brown
Same old story with Daniel Jones. As bad as this season has been, this was the second, maybe the third game Jones has cost with his mistakes and turnovers. It's not Joe Judge and it's not even Jason Garrett. Jones has actually gotten worse.

It's too bad the Jets has that #1 pick locked up with their eventual 0-16.

Same old story with Daniel Jones. As bad as this season has been, this was the second, maybe the third game Jones has cost with his mistakes and turnovers. It's not Joe Judge and it's not even Jason Garrett. Jones has actually gotten worse.

It's too bad the Jets has that #1 pick locked up with their eventual 0-16.

I'm not giving up on him yet.....although last night was one of his worst games in terms of forced throws for INT's and missed opportunities that he had a guy wide open. Based on all the close games and opportunities to win every game except SF - Giants might be the best 1-7 team in history LOL.

I'm not giving up on him yet.....although last night was one of his worst games in terms of forced throws for INT's and missed opportunities that he had a guy wide open. Based on all the close games and opportunities to win every game except SF - Giants might be the best 1-7 team in history LOL.
I m not a Giant fan but, while this season is probably excruciating for the people who are, it can work out really well for them.

If they keep losing games and finish with the 3rd pick they can get a tackle (Sewell) who is very highly rated. If they ever managed a top 2 pick they would get a huge haul of draft picks by trading back that could turn these close losses into wins pretty quickly.

Would you keep Jones if the Giants have the opportunity to get Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields?

Yes. Because behind that OL neither would solve the Giants' problems.

That's not the right analysis.
Every team with the 1st overall pick has a bad OL. Jets shouldn't draft a QB either because their OL was bad.
Tell the Bengals and Cards made bad picks because their OL was bad.

The analysis is: TL/JF vs. Jones?
Who gives you a better chance to win going forward?

The biggest mistake a team can do is give a mediocre QB a long term contract.
See 49ers, Vikings and Eagles.
See Bears, Bucs, Titans and Jets moving on from highly picked QBs.

Reactions: tico brown
You can improve decision making and improve getting the ball out faster.

You can't make the kind of throws such as the one to Golden Tate or the many Jones has made without innate talent and ability.

This is a kid who can run, escape the pocket and make the throw in tight places. He will get better with time and experience. He still has played only a little more than one full season and I think this was only his 3rd or fourth game with Engram, Sheppard, Slayton and Tate all on the field at the same time.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Purple-Ed
You can improve decision making and improve getting the ball out faster.

You can't make the kind of throws such as the one to Golden Tate or the many Jones has made without innate talent and ability.

This is a kid who can run, escape the pocket and make the throw in tight places. He will get better with time and experience. He still has played only a little more than one full season and I think this was only his 3rd or fourth game with Engram, Sheppard, Slayton and Tate all on the field at the same time.

And when he did have all 4 he didn't have Barkley.

I dont think Jones is the guy. Yes, the line isn't good but he also isn't getting any better. He has zero pocket presence and keeps making the same mistakes. He turns the ball over way too much and holds on to the ball too long in the pocket.. At this point I want Trevor Lawrence or if we don't have the first pick and he's off the board would strongly consider Fields.

What makes Daniel Jones better than Tua, who Miami is looking at to see if hes the guy NOW? If DJ keeps making the same mistakes no matter who he has with him, might as well make the change now while they have three opportunity.

Ohio St QB's scare me for some reason. Maybe it's that Haskins has been so bad. Barrett and Jones did nothing either. I remember everyone wanted the Giants to get Haskins and I was so glad when they didnt. So many analysts were saying Haskins was just about a cant miss. Well its still kinda early but he looks like a bust. Jones will make plays were he looks like he can be great but then comes the brutal untimely mistake. So fustrating.

Ohio St QB's scare me for some reason. Maybe it's that Haskins has been so bad.

Well it's not "for some reason" as the reason is pretty clear, any good college QB will put up huge numbers with this team and Haskins is a good recent example of that. Not that he is a bad player, but is he, or more relevant to this discussion Fields, any better then Jones as an NFL player/prospect? I think the answer to that question is very muddy. And maybe that is due to my ignorance of Fields.

But if Lawrence is on the board when the giants(ie Giants picking # 1) then that is an easy call. And it's an easy call in that if the Giants pick #1 Jones has continued to underperform. And that same call may be in place if Giants are picking when Fields is on the board.

What makes Daniel Jones better than Tua, who Miami is looking at to see if hes the guy NOW? If DJ keeps making the same mistakes no matter who he has with him, might as well make the change now while they have three opportunity.
I'm not sure if Jones is better then Tua. But there is no one in Miami right now wondering if they need to move on from Tua.

#1 Yells "throw me the ball" into camera
#2 Wife goes on IG and writes long post a about husband not getting the ball enough
#3 Now missing team walkthrough as disciplinary measure

At least he didn't kick a FG net though, right?

#Culture

Gettleman can't be fired soon enough.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/04/golden-tate-not-at-giants-practice-wednesday/
OBJ was a pain in the balls so I had no issue trading him.

But yeah, if your trying to create a positive culture you need to be very careful who you bring in, and Tate has proven to also be a pain in the balls.

Reactions: NickRU714
#1 Yells "throw me the ball" into camera
#2 Wife goes on IG and writes long post a about husband not getting the ball enough
#3 Now missing team walkthrough as disciplinary measure

At least he didn't kick a FG net though, right?

#Culture

Gettleman can't be fired soon enough.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/04/golden-tate-not-at-giants-practice-wednesday/
You ain't seen nothing yet, soon the player's will be kneeling before
Games so their husband's won't hurt themselves.

Last edited:
They need a true number one receiver and more help on the Oline. Engram should have been traded for picks.

They need a true number one receiver and more help on the Oline. Engram should have been traded for picks.
Always depends on what you get back, but I'd rather not undercut Jones at this point.

Tate on the other hand....

Traffic on this thread seems to have declined precipitously after Jones plays 2 consecutive games with no turnovers. Improved play by the OL doesn't hurt.

Also consecutive games with under 250 yards passing (212/242) and 1 combined passing TD in those 2 games.

But sure, throw a parade because he has been relatively invisible (positive and negative) as a passer.

Jones is still looking like the 4th best QB in just ranking the QBs from the last two draft classes:
#1 Murray
#2 Burrow
#3 Herbert
#4 Jones
#5 Tua (and closing the gap)

#25 Haskins (haha at least we can all still laugh at the WPF team).

Also consecutive games with under 250 yards passing (212/242) and 1 combined passing TD in those 2 games.

But sure, throw a parade because he has been relatively invisible (positive and negative) as a passer.

Jones is still looking like the 4th best QB in just ranking the QBs from the last two draft classes:
#1 Murray
#2 Burrow
#3 Herbert
#4 Jones
#5 Tua (and closing the gap)

#25 Haskins (haha at least we can all still laugh at the WPF team).

Well 2 of the guys you have above him were drafted #1, the other was, like Jones, drafted #6. The guy closing the gap was drafted #5.

So it's not crazy that he'd be ranked there.

I'd also say he was better then invisible as a passer today. Not to mention he was once again the teams leading rusher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT