Not open for further replies.
Phillies mid September …
Braves 3
Blue jays 2
Braves 4

Phillies end season with 10 on road

End 4 wash
Houston clinched 3

I was invited to a Mike Piazza symposium last night at Citifield before the game. Randazzo spoke to him for a half hour and then the crowd had a Q&A. About 150 people were invited.
Some comments from Piazza of interest who was very forthcoming.

1- Clemens has never spoken to and or written to Piazza to apologize. Makes you wonder about Joe Torre story about Clemens crying after the incident. What a douchebag. Piazza says he harbors no hate at this point given how long ago it was.

2- Piazza and Pedro Martinez did not get along. They had issues with each other

3- Piazza lives in Italy and will manage the Italian team in the WBC. Trey Mancini has agreed to play and Piazza wanted Mancini to come to Mets. Ottavino and Nimmo have provided soft yes to Piazza to play

4 - Piazza thanks a scout Mel Didier for forcing the Dodgers to play Piazza more in the minors. That same scout also forced the Expos to do the same for Gary Carter.

5- Piazza said Met fans are very loyal and need to be critical when needed as well as supportive.

Was a cool event !

Nola looked good.
Listened to first part of game on radio. Phillies are like 41-21 after firing the Albatross named Girardi. That's a great run, especially without Harper.
Phillies will be damn tough in playoffs especially when Harper and Schwarber return. They have 2 aces in Wheeler and Nola and a real good stopper with Robertson.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Nimmo to me has always been a 2 hitter - not lead off given his lack of stealing prowess. Solid player. Love his enthusiasm and defensive skills.
I had always thought I would have preferred Marte leadoff over Nimmo. But I think Nimmo seems to work deeper into counts. But would love to start with Marte...
I would prefer
Marte
McNeil
Lindor
Alonso
Vogel/Ruf
Nimmo
Cahna/Naquin
Escobar/LG
Catcher

Reactions: BigEastPhil
I was invited to a Mike Piazza symposium last night at Citifield before the game. Randazzo spoke to him for a half hour and then the crowd had a Q&A. About 150 people were invited.

1- Clemens has never spoken to and or written to Piazza to apologize. Makes you wonder about Joe Torre story about Clemens crying after the incident. What a douchebag. Piazza says he harbors no hate at this point given how long ago it was.

3- Piazza lives in Italy and will manage the Italian team in the WBC. Trey Mancini has agreed to play and Piazza wanted Mancini to come to Mets. Ottavino and Nimmo have provided soft yes to Piazza to play

4 - Piazza thanks a scout Mel Didier for forcing the Dodgers to play Piazza more in the minors. That same scout also forced the Expos to do the same for Gary Carter.

5- Piazza said Met fans are very loyal and need to be critical when needed as well as supportive.

Was a cool event !
Thanks

Phillies will be damn tough in playoffs especially when Harper and Schwarber return. They have 2 aces in Wheeler and Nola and a real good stopper with Robertson.
They could be a dangerous team but...If Harper makes it back, they have tough choices to make in the field. They are always "hiding" someone at DH that they need in the lineup. Harper would be fulltime DH so there is no hiding someone anymore and their D, no matter how you look at it, just isn't good.
Wheeler/Nola are very good but they aren't Max/Jake and we have Diaz
Out of playoff teams- Dogers have 4 guys that good, Braves match up with the starters and I think Phils have an advantage over the Cards and Padres
All the playoff teams will be able to go with 2 very good starters.
But ranked if you want top 2
Mets
Dodgers
Braves/Phils
Padres
Cards

Nido has to stop pushing the bunt so hard down the line. When he does, the other team has lots of options on defense given Nido’s lack of speed.

Of course, maybe he could just start hitting. Unfortunately, we have lots of data at this point to suggest that he likely will never be a decent hitter.

I’d prefer giving McCann more time. He’s been bad since he got here, but at least he has a history of hitting well in the majors for an extended period of time. Nido doesn’t. And if you give McCann time his D will ultimately be similar to Nido’s. I see him as the better of two bad options.

really?

We could go .500 the rest of the way and we end 98 wins...and we have a damn easy schedule once the Yankee series ends.
Phils are 10.5 back they would need to go 35-14
Every game better than .500 we go- just add that extra win Phils would need

No problem.

(LOLOLOLOLOLOL)

No problem.

(LOLOLOLOLOLOL)
Our problem over here as fans, we are so programmed that we are never as good as we are and we will always fail at the end of the season.
And that every other player and team is better than our player and team.

After 3 starts back- unless he gets hurt- Is anyone against making Jake the highest paid pitcher in MLB?

Much like the Yankkes have to everything to keep Judge, Met's have to do everything to keep Jake(again, as long as he stays healthy)

After 3 starts back- unless he gets hurt- Is anyone against making Jake the highest paid pitcher in MLB?

Much like the Yankkes have to everything to keep Judge, Met's have to do everything to keep Jake(again, as long as he stays healthy)

What number does he wear? I need to check to make sure the Phils haven't retired it. Phils have almost $77M coming off the payroll this winter...

I wonder if Strawberry wants to play on the Phils too? LOLOL

Our problem over here as fans, we are so programmed that we are never as good as we are and we will always fail at the end of the season.
And that every other player and team is better than our player and team.

As an earlier poster posted the Mets barely need to play .500 the rest of the way.

It's in the bag for them.

I'd limit deGrom to 85mph and 80 pitches/game until the playoffs.

As an earlier poster posted the Mets barely need to play .500 the rest of the way.

It's in the bag for them.

I'd limit deGrom to 85mph and 80 pitches/game until the playoffs.
Don't you be trying to sandbag us with the reverse RU Screw in our own thread!!! lol

As for Jake- We can't get him to limit himself to 99 mph...lol It just happens to come off his arm at 102
It is the 94 mph changeup that moves 8 inches that kills ya..

Jake and Max have a couple of the nastiest sliders I have ever seen.

4-5 at 45. 2 million more than max plus 1 or 2 more years
That’s 1.5 million per start 😳💰💰

Edit to see ⚾️ Vs 💰
As an owner and business man
43,000 @ $100 avg per person
4,300,000 million
How many starts at home during August September playoff run ?? Home Playoff games will help payroll too.

Pretty sure I read NJ Devils broke even in 2012 or one of the other Cup run years because of all the home playoff games .
Of course many more home games in hockey but 26,000 more seats at Citi

Cohen worth 15 billion , if he sees a way to even come close to breaking even he will pay as much as needed

Last edited:
Don't you be trying to sandbag us with the reverse RU Screw in our own thread!!! lol

As for Jake- We can't get him to limit himself to 99 mph...lol It just happens to come off his arm at 102
It is the 94 mph changeup that moves 8 inches that kills ya..

Jake and Max have a couple of the nastiest sliders I have ever seen.

Teeheehee.

deGrom is phenomenal.

He's worth whatever the Phils sign him for next year even if he is a bit fragile.

Ya'll can resign Thor to fill his spot. ; )

Bad enough when the Yankee fans come here and talk junk. Now we got Phillies Phans coming here talking junk for no reason.

And people wonder why this thread is double the size?

Reactions: rurichdog
Bad enough when the Yankee fans come here and talk junk. Now we got Phillies Phans coming here talking junk for no reason.

And people wonder why this thread is double the size?
Seriously, if you can’t take this type of fun but respectful banter- maybe start watching ballet instead.
This is what makes being a sports fan fun.
Myself- love having a tailgate and having the car next to us be fans of the other team, we combine tailgates and bust each other’s balls over drinks and BBQ.
Mr Screw has been fun and respectful in his posts.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Seriously, if you can’t take this type of fun but respectful banter- maybe start watching ballet instead.
This is what makes being a sports fan fun.
Myself- love having a tailgate and having the car next to us be fans of the other team, we combine tailgates and bust each other’s balls over drinks and BBQ.
Mr Screw has been fun and respectful in his posts.
Yup. Just what I thought the response would be.

👍🏼

Reactions: yesrutgers01
4-5 at 45. 2 million more than max plus 1 or 2 more years
That’s 1.5 million per start 😳💰💰

Edit to see ⚾️ Vs 💰
As an owner and business man
43,000 @ $100 avg per person
4,300,000 million
How many starts at home during August September playoff run ?? Home Playoff games will help payroll too.

Pretty sure I read NJ Devils broke even in 2012 or one of the other Cup run years because of all the home playoff games .
Of course many more home games in hockey but 26,000 more seats at Citi

Cohen worth 15 billion , if he sees a way to even come close to breaking even he will pay as much as needed
Not sure if he gets 6 years. But it will have to be at least 4/180
But - his value is so much more.even beyond his playing days. Only one of our greats have had their full career with us. And it is very rare anymore. And get us even 1 WS- but I feel it would end up a chance at more. Worth any price.
This is the single thing Cohen brings to us- aka Stienbrenner 1.0- but maybe smarter

And they are playing much better defense. I fear that not getting Robertson (and letting the Phillies get him$ will come back and bite the Mets in the ass.

Yup. Just what I thought the response would be.

👍🏼

And they are playing much better defense. I fear that not getting Robertson (and letting the Phillies get him$ will come back and bite the Mets in the ass.
How? What were we going to overpay for him?
And as much as we like to bitch- Ottavino has been very good and overall- our BP is Not that bad.
Outside of the Dodgers- I can almost argue our team against anyone and 2 fold in a short playoff series.

What number does he wear? I need to check to make sure the Phils haven't retired it. Phils have almost $77M coming off the payroll this winter...

I wonder if Strawberry wants to play on the Phils too? LOLOL
A few weeks back, the Braves said the same thing about signing deGrom in the off-season. I understand why some think Atlanta made sense because it's close to his Florida roots, but Philly is puzzling.

A few weeks back, the Braves said the same thing about signing deGrom in the off-season. I understand why some think Atlanta made sense because it's close to his Florida roots, but Philly is puzzling.
I would bet that they wouldn’t be the highest bidder anyway- neither would Atl.
It would be someone like LA or SD.

Last edited:
With the deGrom talk/ we also have
Bassitt/Walker - need 1 of the
Diaz- NEED
Nimmo- 80% need- see below

keep McNeil/ Alonso in mind

We are going over the Cohen tax next year.

MiG you are Cohen- you say F it- and go for mult WS in next few years or try to stay within and hope it is good enough.
Brings me to Nimmo as I feel we have to sign deGrom and he does understand the importance even with legacy but will cost
Does Cohen stay the course with above or let Nimmo walk and really say F-it and go balls out for Judge?

I would bet that they wouldn’t be the to bidder anyway- neither would Atl.
It would be someone like LA or SD.
The way deGrom is pitching now, Cohen is in a tough place if he doesn't offer Jake a crazy amount of money to re-sign. He can't afford to allow another team to sign deGrom away. Don't make this another Wheeler situation.

Pay Me Sophia Amoruso GIF by Girlboss

Show Me The Money GIF

Earning Fox Tv GIF by Almost Family FOX

With the deGrom talk/ we also have
Bassitt/Walker - need 1 of the
Diaz- NEED
Nimmo- 80% need- see below

keep McNeil/ Alonso in mind

We are going over the Cohen tax next year.

MiG you are Cohen- you say F it- and go for mult WS in next few years or try to stay within and hope it is good enough.
Brings me to Nimmo as I feel we have to sign deGrom and he does understand the importance even with legacy but will cost
Does Cohen stay the course with above or let Nimmo walk and really say F-it and go balls out for Judge?
I can't remember what show I was listening to on the radio, but they believe the Mets payroll will be around $345 million next year with the moves they expect to make. deGrom is the #1 priority, followed by Diaz. They said Bassitt is more likely to stay while Walker leaves. Walker will cost too much not to be the ace or #2 guy. Nimmo will cost some, but I can't see the Mets going over $20 million for him. The host said he thinks McNeil will be traded to make room (and save money) for one of the young guys down in the minor to make the switch to second. Doesn't Alonso have another year before you have to worry about it? Lugo is probably moving on. He's too inconsistent. May is likely back unless he's asking for too much.

Agree that Ottavino has been very good lately. Still need another good BP arm, and if it isn’t a respectable lefty, I would have loved Robertson….unless Magill can fill that role.

Why didn't the Mets move to Meadowlands?

It took almost 3 hours to get home last night.

So much for express trains.

I can't remember what show I was listening to on the radio, but they believe the Mets payroll will be around $345 million next year with the moves they expect to make.
They were quoting an article from The Athletic (paywall). $345M just to keep the team intact, to re-sign the guys they are expected to attempt to re-sign. It does not include any new additions.

Was a cool event !
FWIW, Clemens has a home in Sedona, near where we have a home. The electrician who did our electric did Clemens' house. He said Clemens is a really nice guy and very easy going. That is no defense of Clemens, and I asked the electrician if he would bring me to Clemens' house so that I could kick him in the nuts--he declined. 🤣 Who knows what was in Clemens' head our what beef he may have had with the Mets or Piazza at the time. People change over time and MAY have regret for things they did they were younger or in the heat of the moment. Again, this in now way is in defense of Clemens, but maybe he would do it differently if he had a choice. IDK about him going out of his way to apologize to Piazza about it.

Was there something between them or the Mets and Boston that led up to that pitch?

EDIT---
Found this too:

"Not really," Piazza said when he was asked if he holds any resentment towards Clemens. "I saw him at Michael Jordan's golf tournament in the mid-2000s, and just said hi. I guess life has a way of mellowing you out, so I have no resentment or bitter feelings towards it.

"Maybe in his mind he never wanted to talk about it. I'm a man, so if he came to me and said he wanted to talk about it, I would, but if you spend too much time wondering what goes on in other peoples' minds, you just waste a lot of time."

Totally think like Mike does not these things. Like Wade Garrett said to Dalton in Roadhouse--"Cut it the f loose."

Let's go with the story that Clemens cried. Maybe he was so ashamed about what he did, he could not summon the emotions to apologize without crying. Maybe not.

Last edited:
FWIW, Clemens has a home in Sedona, near where we have a home. The electrician who did our electric did Clemens' house. He said Clemens is a really nice guy and very easy going. That is no defense of Clemens, and I asked the electrician if he would bring me to Clemens' house so that I could kick him in the nuts--he declined. 🤣 Who knows what was in Clemens' head our what beef he may have had with the Mets or Piazza at the time. People change over time and MAY have regret for things they did they were younger or in the heat of the moment. Again, this in now way is in defense of Clemens, but maybe he would do it differently if he had a choice. IDK about him going out of his way to apologize to Piazza about it.

Was there something between them or the Mets and Boston that led up to that pitch?
Steroid Rage

I feel like we need to put something else up on the board. Bassitt has been like Houdini but it's hard to see shutting a quality major league team out 2 games in a row.

Steroid Rage
Could be, and I added a bit from something I found. Sometimes the manliest men on the outside are huge cowards (or pussies, if that is allowed anymore) on the inside and cannot be a man and apologize for being out of line. When I have been in situations like this, sometimes I look it as being a better man for not carrying anger around and just let it go. Seems like that's what Piazza has done. Clemens has to live with himself and his decisions. Not Mike. Maybe he lives just fine. Maybe not. Not Mike's problem.

I could see a scenario where Alvarez and Baty could be regulars in the lineup next season. If they could do so and find a way to subtract Ecscobar and one of Nido or McCann the payroll would automatically be lowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT