ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

There's a rule change worth mentioning that I am not sure everyone is aware of. It's actually not a change per se, just enforcement of a rule already on the books.

The "change" is that infielders will no longer be allowed to block a base with their foot or leg while fielding a throw on a tag play. This had become an art form in recent years.

The penalty is that the runner will be ruled safe at the advancing base. So if you try to steal second and the infielder is blocking the base, you are ruled safe at second. But if you are taking a lead off second, and the pitcher tries to pick you off, and the infielder is blocking the base as you dive back, you are ruled safe at third (the advancing base).

MLB is serious about promoting baserunning. Which puts an even greater premium on a catcher who can throw 'em out.

This has gonna lose it written all over it. Remove this now 🤦‍♂️

This signing is small n $$$ but could be huge in everything else- if the guy can do 90% of what he did last year- it is a HR...
Pete approves this signing lol

Martinez is a nice pickup. If the season is tanking, hopefully, he has a good 1st half and teams will want him at the deadline…like Pham.

Can’t put your foot in front of the base. He did. And they’re calling it now. That’s what that was.
his foot was barely there- I am a little confused how a guy is really going to defend against a steal this year. Year- I get it- straddle the base- but that is hard as F to do with a 90 mph throw from the catcher, 200lb man sliding in and applying a tag with your balls fully exposed to a guy popping up out of his slide.

Gotta say the new lineup looks soooooo much better- even if you go conservative on the numbers

1) Nimmo- near .400 OBP with some power
2) Marte- if he can get closer to 2022 than 2023 .270 with some pop and possible 30+ SB
3) Lindor- 30/30? again?
4) Pete- I am sure his under .220 will not happen again- so lets say he is closer to .250 that will make his power number even better but let's call him 45HR near 120 RBI
5) Martinez - let's say he drops a little but let's call it 30/100
6) McNeil- .300 hitter
7) Alvarez - 30/90
8) Baty/Vientos- 20/80 combined
9) Bader - .240-250 some pop and a ton of speed

his foot was barely there- I am a little confused how a guy is really going to defend against a steal this year. Year- I get it- straddle the base- but that is hard as F to do with a 90 mph throw from the catcher, 200lb man sliding in and applying a tag with your balls fully exposed to a guy popping up out of his slide.
This will create more leg injuries for the infielders. Just stupid mother f*ckers if you ask me.

This will create more leg injuries for the infielders. Just stupid mother f*ckers if you ask me.
I don't think there was a need to tweak this one. They gave enough advantages to the runner last year, which I was good with. I liked losing the shift and seeing more stolen bases, but this is a little over the top.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
JD Martinez has agreed to start the season in the minors. Think of it as a "pre-hab" assignment. Figure about a week.

WTF does that even mean? So many GM's are graded and compensated for having great trade deadline deals.
What basis do you have for that?

I’ll put my money on GMs developing a system that produces tons of talent as being by far the leading basis for compensation. And good in-season trades is only one of many (and more important) results that come from developing a top system.

this doesn't make sense- Stearn's job is going to require him to be obsessed with trade deadline deals...
This makes no sense, unless you retreat to a position that a GM should be obsessed about everything. Teams supplement current MLB rosters or begin to restock their systems with in-season trades. In either instance, it’s a losing game if you’re GM hasn’t spent much more time, effort, and analysis at building the system.

A well-run team will more often be using deadline deals, if at all, to fine-tune the MLB club. The obsession on this board with “deadline deals” is essentially an indicator of how badly the Mets system has been run over the last few years. The Mets always need a lot because they haven’t done the real work of building a system..

I think you’re just not getting it. They’re calling it now. That’s it. They’re calling it. They’re not kind of calling it. They’re calling it. Just get the message. I’m sure the MLB teams will get it soon enough.

Mets sign JD Martinez. 1 year $12 million.

Talk about a methodical first off-season from Stearns.
Bingo. Just another positive sign that this guy is good. It’s funny that he’s so young but is running the show like an adult. No panic moves. Build and protect the system. Make smart moves. Use the big money we have, but use it smartly, not like a panicked spendthrift.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I think you’re just not getting it. They’re calling it now. That’s it. They’re calling it. They’re not kind of calling it. They’re calling it. Just get the message. I’m sure the MLB teams will get it soon enough.
I get it and know they are calling it but forgot, need to remember not to respond to you unless I just say, yes, you are right.
It’s like you don’t even know how to just have a conversation.,,

Bingo. Just another positive sign that this guy is good. It’s funny that he’s so young but is running the show like an adult. No panic moves. Build and protect the system. Make smart moves. Use the big money we have, but use it smartly, not like a panicked spendthrift.
So you're not obsessed with this late spring training move that wasn't a trade? 👀 Sort of like a poor man's trade deadline no? 😎

I get it and know they are calling it but forgot, need to remember not to respond to you unless I just say, yes, you are right.
It’s like you don’t even know how to just have a conversation.,,
It was in response to your “his foot was barely there” comment. They’re calling it, and “barely there” is, above all things, “there.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT