ADVERTISEMENT

OT: One heatwave ends, another begins, and a sneaky third probable

It took me 5 seconds to look up what IMBY means. And another 15 to type these sentences. Ugh.
Ha. I know right! I yell at my kids all the time when they respond to texts in their code.
“Just tell me what you are trying to F’ing say....
I’m old!” TTYL

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhuarc and Jm0513
Ha. I know right! I yell at my kids all the time when they respond to texts in their code.
“Just tell me what you are trying to F’ing say....
I’m old!” TTYL
Me too..mine is 15. It's weird, very weird. Example "Ik"(I know), "ig" (I guess) and "buh" (but) she's also called me "bruh" and then I took the phone for an hr.:Laughing she knows better now and completes the words

Last edited:
Me too..mine is 15. It's weird, very weird. Example "Ik"(I know), "ig" (I guess) and "buh" (but) she's also called me "bruh" and then I took the phone for an hr.:Laughing she knows better now and completes the words

my youngest is 15. this one threw me for a loop when I told him he had to help me clean out the garage and he responded with this. "deadass"

Reactions: Jm0513

At least she isn't calling you ma'am :eek:

Reactions: Jm0513
109704063_3451301451569895_6633721955158141863_n.png

At least she isn't calling you ma'am :eek:
Bwhahahaha I laughed out loud!
my youngest is 15. this one threw me for a loop when I told him he had to help me clean out the garage and he responded with this. "deadass"
Let me google. Ok, I see it means seriously.. Smh...:Laughing
I'd trade her for 3 infants any day. (G*d forgive me) All I hear is her singing on that TikTok crap "I'm a savage." I'm like "A what?" I'd like to kick her butt to Alaska and then see how savage she is. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: red sail
Impressive. How long did it take?
Riding time just under 4 hours. Add in three 15mins rehydration breaks. Post ride hydration stops were the Biergarten Atlantic City on the Boardwalk and Tennessee Beer Hall on Tennessee Ave.

Riding time just under 4 hours. Add in three 15mins rehydration breaks. Post ride hydration stops were the Biergarten Atlantic City on the Boardwalk and Tennessee Beer Hall on Tennessee Ave.
That's a nice pace.
I mountain/trail ride, and my average is usually between 8-10 mph (sometimes lower), but the there are a lot of hills, stumps, logs, and technical/narrow and windy trails (at least for me). There is also the usual multiple stops to pick ticks off our legs. Despite all that, we love riding trails over roads.

Reactions: ashokan
That's a nice pace.
I mountain/trail ride, and my average is usually between 8-10 mph (sometimes lower), but the there are a lot of hills, stumps, logs, and technical/narrow and windy trails (at least for me). There is also the usual multiple stops to pick ticks off our legs. Despite all that, we love riding trails over roads.
I used to ride trails a lot. Manly for a change of pace and getting in hills for leg strength. Currently have 3 road bikes and zero mountain bikes but have been looking. Plenty of places to ride around Philly.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's a nice pace.

I biked roads for years, but the roads in NY have become the worst in the nation according to several rankings. Pot holes and cracked roads are everywhere. Nails, glass, grease, tar etc are thrown-in for effect. Then there are the drivers (OMG). I've had three friends end-up in the hospital riding bikes on the road.

Thankfully, I got a 29er mtb and everything changed. I can do trails through farm fields (rail trails also) in New Paltz. I do park roads without a lot of traffic. The 1.5-2.0" tires without knobs really roll. The rough spots don't matter as much with the front suspension (no full squish on roads). The hydraulic breaks are great (clencher brakes on step hills @225 are a workout) I used to feel every pebble with a road bike. I'll always use a road bike now and then. But riding road bikes in a racing configuration (drop for breaking) on wrecked roads seems a little weird to me now

Reactions: Knight Shift
Had a late push to 95 imby

Day 1: 92
Day 2: 96
Day 3: 95
Day 4: 95

Cherry Hill, Sicklersville, Moorestown and some others were top dogs at 97

turning out to be a pretty solid moderate type heatwave.

Wednesday is likely to continue the heatwave for a 5th day.. It will be a dirtier sky but it will be much more humid than today causing oppressive conditions and the threat of thunderstorms exists from mid afternoon into the evening.

Thursday much of the area figure to continue the heatwave but for some locations the heatwave will end. Sunday may be the start of yet another heatwave with temps soaring back into the mid 90s next week. Will start a NEW thread on that over the weekend.

Hazard 1 -- The Heat

The temperature/heat index forecast for Wednesday is quite
challenging, owing to several conflicting factors that will play
critical roles in diurnal heating and mixing. First, a weak warm
front (mainly tracing a sharper change in surface dew points) will
be lifting northward through the day. By late afternoon, the front
will likely have made progress through all of the CWA. Generally,
dew points will exceed 70 degrees south of this boundary, though
this may not be entirely the case by afternoon, as stronger
south/southwest winds develop. This increased mixing will allow for
a fairly deep boundary layer that may permit dew points to drop to
near/below 70 by afternoon. If the higher dew points win out, some
areas will flirt with excessive heat warning criteria, but I suspect
mixing will be sufficiently strong to keep the environment mostly
within advisory levels.

The next issue involves residual effects from a passing shortwave
during the overnight hours. Some passing showers may occur in the
northern CWA into the early morning hours, and lingering cloud cover
will be a factor early on in the day. The question will be how long
this cloudiness remains (as it will have effects on the northward
progress of the front and insolation/diabatic heating in general).
Some guidance is quite aggressive in eroding these clouds, but
confidence is not high (though this is the time of year where it
would happen). With such low confidence, have kept northern New
Jersey out of the heat advisory for now (thanks to OKX for
coordination).

The final complicating factor is convection (more on that below).
Should convection develop or overspread the area earlier than
anticipated, maximum heat indices will be lower than forecast. Once
again, this is especially possible for the northern/western fringes
of the CWA. However, the downstream/preconvective environment will
be hot/humid and likely early enough in the day to result in a few
hours of advisory criteria being met (especially along/southeast of
the urban corridor).

Have hoisted a heat advisory for areas roughly south of the I-78
corridor for Wednesday (except for the immediate coasts of NJ/DE),
where confidence is highest in warm-frontal passage, more limited
effects from morning cloud cover, and longer duration of insolation
prior to convection. In this region, highs generally in the lower to
mid 90s are expected (locally upper 90s in the urban corridor and
Delmarva), with maximum heat indices generally 100-105 north of I-76
and slightly higher to the south. Some fine-tuning of the advisory
may be required given what transpires overnight.

I biked roads for years, but the roads in NY have become the worst in the nation according to several rankings. Pot holes and cracked roads are everywhere. Nails, glass, grease, tar etc are thrown-in for effect. Then there are the drivers (OMG). I've had three friends end-up in the hospital riding bikes on the road.

Thankfully, I got a 29er mtb and everything changed. I can do trails through farm fields (rail trails also) in New Paltz. I do park roads without a lot of traffic. The 1.5-2.0" tires without knobs really roll. The rough spots don't matter as much with the front suspension (no full squish on roads). The hydraulic breaks are great (clencher brakes on step hills @225 are a workout) I used to feel every pebble with a road bike. I'll always use a road bike now and then. But riding road bikes in a racing configuration (drop for breaking) on wrecked roads seems a little weird to me now
I hear you about road conditions. I lived in Washington Crossing PA. One of the most beautiful places on the East Coast. Historic. Yet the roads for the most part were mostly way too narrow to ride a bike safely. And most needed work. Most of my rides took places across the Delaware from Pennington to Lambertville and beyond. Strangely the Philly area has many great and safe options.

My bad..i hit reply on the wrong post..this was meant for Rhuarc
I teach 1st grade so I'm lucky I don't have to deal with cell phones and child angst. My biggest problems are kids not having food for snack, ones that fall asleep on the carpet after recess or gym and the ones that tell me things about their families that you would never want out in public. That last one happens ALL the time.

I don't have a great cell phone story to share, but something similar was when the special ed. teacher across the hall from me had a parent that wanted to "catch" the classroom teacher doing something wrong to their child because they didn't like them or think they were a good match for their child. So, the parent puts a baby monitor in the kid's backpack and drives their car into the parking lot which is adjacent to the school to monitor the classroom each day. Nobody had a clue because the parking lot was always packed and they just sat there. Eventually, the baby monitor caught some ridiculous feedback and the teacher figured out what happened. The parents took off but they ended up admitting it when the principal called home about it. It had been going on for days.

Needless to say, I believe they had a district lawyer present at every IEP meeting from that point on. :WideSmile:

95 again today..heat index 103...heat index of 106 in parts of the state

Surprisingly today is the most brutal day of this powerful heatwave

[2:59pm] A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is now in effect for the region through 10 PM this evening. Please be weather aware and have a way to receive warnings in case they are issued for your location.

112754357_3454058951294145_2571972935947809313_o.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT