ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

I play with awesome guys at very prestigious clubs. It's fine, don't worry. Not to mention, seems like you need to learn the rule. There is no way you would know if he carded the correct score without knowing the answers to my questions.
You often post real dumb stuff. This is one of those times. Nice try.

I've seen some Hollywood handicaps, but never that bad before.
Yea he made it for a pretty uncomfortable day. Should have listened to my buddy and accepted the offer for a sizable match. First time playing with this guy and wanted it to be a friendly day.

Funny thing is rest of the group now plays together regularly. "Hollywood" hasn't been invited back.

Yea, Bel Air Country Club, Annandale, Pebble, Castle Pines. Last four places I've played.

You do the math.
I did the math. 4 is the correct answer.

Try memorizing this and we will all be impressed: ‘Person, woman, man, camera, TV'

I did the math. 4 is the correct answer.

Try memorizing this and we will all be impressed: ‘Person, woman, man, camera, TV'

Correct answer is, places you will never play. Except Pebble, being the muni course that it ultimately is. You might be able to get on their if you can save enough beans.

Historic deal between Israel and UAE. #Face!

Correct answer is, places you will never play. Except Pebble, being the muni course that it ultimately is. You might be able to get on their if you can save enough beans.

Historic deal between Israel and UAE. #Face!
Nice list Cali. Congrats. When it is all said and done if you get to have half of the golfing experiences I have had you will be truly blessed.

It's amazing he's willing to dig a hole this big an jump in it. All because he doesn't like me lol. #triggered
Yup. Plus he keeps discussing "most" golfers report the wrong (lower) score. I would argue "most" golfers do not even have a handicap so they don't even know anything but their actual score. And if they pickup / cheat on a few strokes ,no harm since they have no handicap / would only hurt themselves if in a tournament anyway. No one like sandbaggers. You take easy money from vanity handicaps.

Reactions: Caliknight
Yup. Plus he keeps discussing "most" golfers report the wrong (lower) score. I would argue "most" golfers do not even have a handicap so they don't even know anything but their actual score. And if they pickup / cheat on a few strokes ,no harm since they have no handicap / would only hurt themselves if in a tournament anyway. No one like sandbaggers. You take easy money from vanity handicaps.
This is pure beauty. You know and understand very little about the topic you keep posting on. You might want to stop.

I love how people misinterpret scoring for handicap and scoring. Played with a guy 3 years ago, client of a friend of mine. Guy was bragging at the range that he was a 5. All I heard for 30 minutes was that he was a 5. Go out and play and the guy literally finished 4 holes. He picked up after he met "MAX ALLOWABLE." After the third time picking up from 150 yards out I had to tell him that's not how scoring works. You continue to play to completion you only post "MAX ALLOWABLE." Needless to say he never paid on the nassau.

its called a vanity handicap. A lot of “executives” like to claim they are“single” digit indexes to brag, but when in a money game, their “handicap” doesn’t travel very well. These are the kind of guys I love taking $$$ from. You should have made pay out the Nassau to teach him a lesson. Don’t make the bet if you are going to Welch. That’s bad form. No 5 index I know is ever out of the hole when he is 150 out.

Geez, didn’t think my post was that controversial...lol. Golf is a game of rules, and I admire people that are fascinated by that aspect. I don’t pretend to know the book front to back but I’m always learning something from people that do.

I do like the Rutgers course. Prefer the back nine especially that stretch of 10, 11 and 12. Then 17 and 18.
I am a fan of Hal Purdy, the designer of the Rutgers course. Before he went off on his own he was Robert Trent Jones construction manager. I play one of his designs most days of the week. He has designed a lot of courses in our area.

I am a fan of Hal Purdy, the designer of the Rutgers course. Before he went off on his own he was Robert Trent Jones construction manager. I play one of his designs most days of the week. He has designed a lot of courses in our area.
The biggest problem with Rutgers Golf Course is that it is 700-1000 yards too short for modern day D1 tournament play. Where does RU’s men’s and women’s team play their home matches? Or do they just play away at tournaments?

The biggest problem with Rutgers Golf Course is that it is 700-1000 yards too short for modern day D1 tournament play. Where does RU’s men’s and women’s team play their home matches? Or do they just play away at tournaments?
Golf in 2020 is a lot different than 1961.

Let's get back on topic. US Open this week at Winged Foot. I have to assume favorites are Rahm, DJ and JT. Green speeds look ridiculous from the previews. Not a fan of over tricked courses but looking forward to watching all 4 days.

Reactions: jtung230
They showed the rough yesterday and it’s nasty. Also saw some potential lines Bryson will take off the tee. my bet is that he will card a 10 this week.

Reactions: Section124
They showed the rough yesterday and it’s nasty. Also saw some potential lines Bryson will take off the tee. my bet is that he will card a 10 this week.
Rough looks crazy. Greens look fast. Heard some commentators talking about how the late summer conditions are gonna make this one of the hardest us opens ever.

Let's get back on topic. US Open this week at Winged Foot. I have to assume favorites are Rahm, DJ and JT. Green speeds look ridiculous from the previews. Not a fan of over tricked courses but looking forward to watching all 4 days.

I can see it being someone like Rahm or JT, a player who can chip and putt the lights out of the ball because from what I'm hearing there is so little room for error approaching the green even the best iron players are going to leave the shot in unexpected places. If the rest of his game didn't suck, Phil could still have contended for the same reason.

Webb Simpson is a guy who could be around Sunday too.

its called a vanity handicap. A lot of “executives” like to claim they are“single” digit indexes to brag, but when in a money game, their “handicap” doesn’t travel very well. These are the kind of guys I love taking $$$ from. You should have made pay out the Nassau to teach him a lesson. Don’t make the bet if you are going to Welch. That’s bad form. No 5 index I know is ever out of the hole when he is 150 out.
As I said he has not been invited back to play with this group. It was easier not to collect on a $10 Nassau then to have to deal with him on a regular basis. Buddy has played with him since and he is still up to the same crap. Wasn't like it was a bad day.

His mass exaggeration of his handicap was unbelievable to say the least. I regularly play with scratch and very low single digit handicaps and I have very rarely seen them out of any hole,much less multiple ball in pockets on the same round.

I can see it being someone like Rahm or JT, a player who can chip and putt the lights out of the ball because from what I'm hearing there is so little room for error approaching the green even the best iron players are going to leave the shot in unexpected places. If the rest of his game didn't suck, Phil could still have contended for the same reason.

Gonna be wide open. Too bad Koepka is hurt. Would have liked to see him on this course. I haven’t seen the pairings. Is Tommy Fleetwood playing. He played Shinnecock really well two years ago.

Nice list Cali. Congrats. When it is all said and done if you get to have half of the golfing experiences I have had you will be truly blessed.
I already have been. Only been paying for two years and my list is very strong.

There's a young man from Scotch Plains, John Pak, in the Open field. Plays for Florida State where he was the ACC champion. Member of the last US Walker Cup team

Reactions: Section124
Gonna be wide open. Too bad Koepka is hurt. Would have liked to see him on this course. I haven’t seen the pairings. Is Tommy Fleetwood playing. He played Shinnecock really well two years ago.

Yes. Paired with Kisner and Ancer.

Reactions: HALL85

Good call on Webb. Webb will definitely be a contender. If I had to make a prediction, I would probably go with JT as the winner. He's been playing so well lately and hangs around. As you said, chipping and putting will be crucial.

My US Open "to win" wagers this week:

JT, Schauffele, Matsuyama, Berger, Finau. Hit Morikawa at 33-1 in the PGA. Hope my luck continues.

Had the opportunity to play Winged Foot a long time ago, but to be honest, I don’t remember it being a memorable course. Clubhouse was amazing but I barely remember any of the holes as being spectacular.

Had the opportunity to play Winged Foot a long time ago, but to be honest, I don’t remember it being a memorable course. Clubhouse was amazing but I barely remember any of the holes as being spectacular.
Had the pleasure of playing Winged Foot twice West both times. Once in an outing and once with a buddy and his stepfather/member. When I played in an outing Winged Foot was nice but did not shine. We were rushed through to say the least. When I played with the member it was an amazing experience. The course is as old school Tillinghast as you can get. Most of the difficulty begins from 130 yards in. The greens and bunker complexes are tough but fair. You do not want to be above the hole. Winged Foot is a very special experience overall but I think Quaker Ridge across the street is a better course.

Last edited:

JT, Schauffele, Matsuyama, Berger, Finau. Hit Morikawa at 33-1 in the PGA. Hope my luck continues.
Berger's odds were crying for action but it seems the cat is out of the bag there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in contention Sunday.

My guess is another JT /Morikawa duel.

I don't like this setup for Tiger and Phil - particularly the latter.

Schauffele has played well on Open courses. I believe he's in the top 4 or 5 on the betting line along with DJ, Rahm, and Thomas.

Berger's odds were crying for action but it seems the cat is out of the bag there. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in contention Sunday.

Neither Tiger or Phil will ever win another US Open or in Phil's case, win one. It's a young mans tourney.

Their best chance is Augusta. For a major, that's it.

Not a shock with Phil. He played in the Safeway which has notoriously narrow fairways and deep rough last weekend. He was playing from places even us hackers never see lol.

Winged Foot rough is expected to be 3-5 inches this week. It can be especially long around the greens. Will make for some difficult up and downs for the field.

Neither Tiger or Phil will ever win another US Open or in Phil's case, win one. It's a young mans tourney.

Their best chance is Augusta. For a major, that's it.
You know that would be an interesting bet. Tiger or Phil to win at least one US Open going forward. Cap it at 10 years so there's some certainty (in reality 5 years is probably enough based on age and health). What odds would that be? I'd imagine probably something silly like 5/1 when it really should be multiples.

You know that would be an interesting bet. Tiger or Phil to win at least one US Open going forward. Cap it at 10 years so there's some certainty (in reality 5 years is probably enough based on age and health). What odds would that be? I'd imagine probably something silly like 5/1 when it really should be multiples.
I remember reading that only three golfers have won a major after the age of 46. Hale Irwin was one and the Irish guy that won the British Open several years ago was two.

I remember reading that only three golfers have won a major after the age of 46. Hale Irwin was one and the Irish guy that won the British Open several years ago was two.

Correct on three. Incorrect on Irwin. Irwin was 45 when he won the 1990 US Open. Darren Clarke was 42 when he won the Open.

Julius Boros- 1968 PGA- 48 years 4 months
Old Tom Morris- 1867 Open- 46 years, 3 months
Jack Nicklaus- 1986 Masters- 46 years, 2 months

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.ATR84.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT