ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

Right about now I should be making the turn at Metedeconk CC for a work "event", but ironically, work has prevented me from going. Sigh...

Man, I always agree it's the magician not the wand, but those Titleist Concepts are juiced up. I can't believe how much more distance they go. Almost too far. I can see pros don't use them.

Mickelson wins Champions Tour debut by 4 strokes.

Played Mountain Ridge today. Great track. They just hosted the Met Open Championship last week. The rough was brutal. Literally have to stand over the ball to find it.

Reactions: zappaa and red sail
The popularity of golf has waned.
I kind of tracked the popularity of two sports: tennis and golf.
I remember tennis was very popular in the 70s and 80s. The main reason was Connors and McEnroe and the baby boomers. You could not find courts.
Golf became very popular in the 90s and 2000s. Why? Greg Norman and Tiger Woods and Baby Boomers.
Now the baby boomers are getting old and young people are not taking up golf. The only savior for golf are Asians. Golf will become an Asian sport soon. They need one breakout Asian star for that to happen.
The virus has made money for people in curious ways. One is golf. This year is the first uptick in participation across the country in many years. Men and gals, just gotta get outta the house. Monmouth County is still flooded with players, tee times within a week are hard to get. Middlesex County is rocking too. Gotta get some of you younger fellas back to work.

The virus has made money for people in curious ways. One is golf. This year is the first uptick in participation across the country in many years. Men and gals, just gotta get outta the house. Monmouth County is still flooded with players, tee times within a week are hard to get. Middlesex County is rocking too. Gotta get some of you younger fellas back to work.
Link

Good timing on your post. Top story on Yahoo Finance this AM.

I should have been a golf ball designer, I buy dozen or more of everything and cut one open and then test another one. If I like them I buy more. I have a lot of boxes of ten balls.
What's your opinion of the Top Flite Gamer? I think Knightmoves called it the poor man's ProV1 in the Kirkland thread.

More Paige!
I'm more partial to Carly Booth. And she can actually play a bit.

e00pseef5l631.jpg

What's your opinion of the Top Flite Gamer? I think Knightmoves called it the poor man's ProV1 in the Kirkland thread.
The current Maxfli Tour is a poor man's ProV1. You can get them at Dicks for 2 for $50 and if you have the $10 off $50 coupon you can get them for $20 per dz. Here is a video comparison of the Maxfli Tour and ProV1.

Reactions: RUDutch
Another great story was Mackenzie Huges. What a life changing putt he made on 18th.

Buddy plays them and he gave me one to smack around. It wasn't bad. I am a fan of the Snell balls if looking for a Pro-V1 knockoff. As noted, the Maxfli Tour is supposed to be good but I haven't hit one.

Reactions: RUDutch
First time I played Pebble was in 1994.

The guy in the pro shop told us that the most sold item in the shop was those cardboard disposable cameras. This was before everyone had a camera on their phone and people didn't think to bring a camera to the golf course.

When they got there and realized how beautiful it really is they wanted pictures to take home
lol, I did the exact same thing when I played Pebble in 1991 - hard to take a bad picture at that place...

Reactions: knightinaz
Played the oldest course west of the Mississippi this weekend. 9 hole goat track in Catalina Island. Billion dollar views with $10 course.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I would like to see DJ take this. I am just glad to be able to enjoy watching some golf.

Right about now I should be making the turn at Metedeconk CC for a work "event", but ironically, work has prevented me from going. Sigh...

Played the 'Conk' back in the day and ran out of gold balls midway thru the round....

Dustin Johnson with a 54-hole lead for the 4th straight tournament. He leads by 5 going into tomorrow's final round. Last guy to lead in 4 straight tournament? Tiger Woods in 1999.

Dustin Johnson with a 54-hole lead for the 4th straight tournament. He leads by 5 going into tomorrow's final round. Last guy to lead in 4 straight tournament? Tiger Woods in 1999.
I think with this new format, it has to come with an asterisk.

Never played East Lake or remember anything big played there but this isn't a pretty course at all. Many holes look like Spooky Brook

Played the 'Conk' back in the day and ran out of gold balls midway thru the round....
I’ve played some tough tracks now but that place is definitely one of the hardest I’ve ever played. Castle Pines is another.

When you think about where Johnson's game was back around the Memorial, what's happened over the past month is even more incredible.

Reactions: wisr01
Never played East Lake or remember anything big played there but this isn't a pretty course at all. Many holes look like Spooky Brook
I haven’t played Spooky in a long time but that’s not how I remembered it. I remembered you can land a plane on most holes And it was the longest out of Middlesex County courses.

I haven’t played Spooky in a long time but that’s not how I remembered it. I remembered you can land a plane on most holes And it was the longest out of Middlesex County courses.
Spooky Brook is actually in Somerset County. But I do agree that you could land a plane on most of the holes. It’s basically a flat open piece of land. Miry Run had a fairway right next to an old runway strip from what I remember. And I remember a plane actually do an emergency landing on Royce Brook GC years ago.

Other than being a long time host of the Tour Championship, it hosted the Ryder Cup back in the 90's.

You would have a much, much better idea than me but watching on TV it appears the greens are what makes it tough. So many breaks every which way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT