ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shoprite changing self serve to be 20 items or less

Going on seven pages of complaining about supermarkets and coupons and debating whether or not it's worth turning the Buick wagon around to save 50 cents on prune juice. Nursing home dining halls are embarrassed this thread still exists.

TKR didn't just jump the shark, it went unconscious on landing and drowned quietly.

Going on seven pages of complaining about supermarkets and coupons and debating whether or not it's worth turning the Buick wagon around to save 50 cents on prune juice. Nursing home dining halls are embarrassed this thread still exists.

TKR didn't just jump the shark, it went unconscious on landing and drowned quietly.

Oh, shut up and go clip your coupons!

you are no longer young yourself

Not by the calendar, but I certainly haven't started dedicating my days to intermittently complaining about expired coupons, coffee not being hot enough and my aching back just yet.

One at a time, maybe ...😜
do you have grays....that didnt happen in the 80s 90s and 00s, an unsual observation.....the stress and anxiety weighing on their shoulders

Not by the calendar, but I certainly haven't started dedicating my days to intermittently complaining about expired coupons, coffee not being hot enough and my aching back just yet.

One at a time, maybe ...😜
I started using shop rite digital coupon this year. It’s a rip off since many of the coupons don’t work and I have to always call a helper.

I started using shop rite digital coupon this year. It’s a rip off since many of the coupons don’t work and I have to always call a helper.

Really? I never have any problems with them. Stop & Plop, on the other hand, as I've noted above seems to deliberately not program some in.

I do detest "Must by $X other products" to get some discounts. Especially when that's put in deliberately tiny type in the ad.

So to be clear, if you buy:

- 12 two liter bottles of coke
- 14 cans of Starkist Tuna
- 4 same OJs
- 5 loaves of same bread
- 3 2% milks
- 10 cans of chicken noodle soup

That's 6 items and not 48?

LOL.
Counting is hard for some folks.

- 4 same OJs
- 5 loaves of same bread
- 3 2% milks

LOL.
You are correct on that … in fact just returned from the store had 26 boxes, bags , bottles and more . And the woman at the 20 items checkout said that’s ok. She reiterated the stores don’t like the change but the theft has been a real issue. Petty theft is ok with 1/3 of the country but the idiots will still allow DA’s to look the other way.

Not sure what you're talking about. Our SR and the others close by me had a fullsize cart, a smaller cart and a basket you carried. They eliminated the latter shortly after snaggle tooth ball-less had us go bag-less.
I thought you had some smarts ? Lol

Now if I recall the mods ( was that you?) were punishing those who complained about this grand leader in Trenton. They voted him in again because he promised them a reward. The rewards will be coming soon enough.

Oh, there is a study that shows plastic use went up after the single use ban. Lol

- 4 same OJs
- 5 loaves of same bread
- 3 2% milks

LOL.
96 bottles of water count as 4 items :-)

I am cheating though, a case of 24 waters is bundled.

- 4 same OJs
- 5 loaves of same bread
- 3 2% milks

LOL.
Yes, there are 6 different items with differing quantities of each item.
When stores order items from a distributor they order the item and the # of cases of that item.
When you buy something selling for 5/$1.89 are they saying you are buying 5 items or is it 1 item but 5 of that item. I'm pretty sure their POS system says that you bought 5 of item xyz and their
on-hand inventory was reduced by 5.

Self serve is a scam to increase profits by hiring less people and paying less benefits, I refuse to use it. haha
A true conspiracy theorist in our midst. Literally every supermarket chain in the country is similar in sale formats. Actually that’s what companies attempt to do … increase their profits… do you know the actual margins of profit food chains produce yearly ? Evidently not … they are all struggling believe it or not … the Economy is not as good as suggested… don’t just look at the stock market as many are attempting to push upon the people.

Reactions: gef21
A true conspiracy theorist in our midst. Literally every supermarket chain in the country is similar in sale formats. Actually that’s what companies attempt to do … increase their profits… do you know the actual margins of profit food chains produce yearly ? Evidently not … they are all struggling believe it or not … the Economy is not as good as suggested… don’t just look at the stock market as many are attempting to push upon the people.
Shoprite profits were 630 million dollars last year. They are doing okay.

I agree most big chain stores are trying to increase profits, and pay less in salaries and benefits while rarely worrying about product value.

Reactions: Kbee3
When stores order items from a distributor they order the item and the # of cases of that item.
When you buy something selling for 5/$1.89 are they saying you are buying 5 items or is it 1 item but 5 of that item. I'm pretty sure their POS system says that you bought 5 of item xyz and their

This is the craziest logic I have ever seen. The whole point of the 15 or less items lane is to move people quickly due to less things to scan.

You showing up with 48 things to scan but thinking you really only have 6 items.......... hahahaha.

If you buy a bag of goldfish, does each goldfish count as one item?

I agree most big chain stores are trying to increase profits, and pay less in salaries and benefits while rarely worrying about product value.

But margins are thin for supermarkets. $630 million profits on what amount of sales? As long as they don't try to go self-scan on people with full shopping carts I'm OK with it. For 3 or 4 items I find it convenient.

Reactions: gef21
Yes spread out over 80k employees… 19.5 billion in sales from 370 stores in 11 states . So now after labor costs , depreciation, new technologies and a multitude of miscellaneous expenses you see where those “ profits go”… do you know what this translates to in actual margin of profits. Sorry not going to waste my time with an uninformed biased person.

Just spoke to another corporate friend today. Theft needs to be addressed and it even has impacted big home supply places.. Lowe’s, Home Depot…completely different service industry. We have for 3+ years watched an administration support, turn a blind eye and literally destroy small business. Next prime objective large companies. There should be consequences for those who perpetrate crimes upon the law abiding public . Equal for equal sounds about right. Enjoy the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:

What did Shop Right pay to get those items into the stores. Billions.
More than likely they made less than 1% profit on those items.

Reactions: RUBOB72
People have no idea of the costs… the government blames the companies ... lol…Truth is the administration plays a large role in why we are paying what we do for our food.It was like the poster who lamented about the produce quality… I love fresh produce not frozen. We all do . The issue with transportation , weather, labor issues and even getting drivers from west coast or south up to the north is the real culprit . One of the key things in the supermarket industry is making sure people have access to good , fresh and safe produce.

BTW, ShopRite Paramus now has signs on the door s saying to hold onto your receipts

People have no idea of the costs… the government blames the companies ... lol…Truth is the administration plays a large role in why we are paying what we do for our food.It was like the poster who lamented about the produce quality… I love fresh produce not frozen. We all do . The issue with transportation , weather, labor issues and even getting drivers from west coast or south up to the north is the real culprit . One of the key things in the supermarket industry is making sure people have access to good , fresh and safe produce.
But seems like greed and the willingness to pay more is the driving factor for the cost of groceries
>Conagra attributed the rise in quarterly profits to inflationary price increases, despite facing more impactful supply chain disruptions than anticipated. Sean Connolly, Conagra chief executive, said on the earnings call with shareholders that the company’s sales growth was “primarily driven by inflation justified price increases” and a willingness by consumers to pay the higher prices. Conagra did not respond to a request for comment.<

https://time.com/6269366/food-company-profits-make-groceries-expensive/

As for grocery stores , a quick google found this:
>Kroger gross profit for the twelve months ending October 31, 2023 was $32.519B, a 3.13% increase year-over-year. Kroger annual gross profit for 2023 was $31.778B, a 4.71% increase from 2022. Kroger annual gross profit for 2022 was $30.349B, a 1.79% decline from 2021.<
>Albertsons gross profit for the twelve months ending November 30, 2023 was $21.986B, a 1.52% increase year-over-year. Albertsons annual gross profit for 2023 was $21.756B, a 4.99% increase from 2022. Albertsons annual gross profit for 2022 was $20.722B, a 1.51% increase from 2021.<

But seems like greed and the willingness to pay more is the driving factor for the cost of groceries
>Conagra attributed the rise in quarterly profits to inflationary price increases, despite facing more impactful supply chain disruptions than anticipated. Sean Connolly, Conagra chief executive, said on the earnings call with shareholders that the company’s sales growth was “primarily driven by inflation justified price increases” and a willingness by consumers to pay the higher prices. Conagra did not respond to a request for comment.<

https://time.com/6269366/food-company-profits-make-groceries-expensive/

As for grocery stores , a quick google found this:
>Kroger gross profit for the twelve months ending October 31, 2023 was $32.519B, a 3.13% increase year-over-year. Kroger annual gross profit for 2023 was $31.778B, a 4.71% increase from 2022. Kroger annual gross profit for 2022 was $30.349B, a 1.79% decline from 2021.<
>Albertsons gross profit for the twelve months ending November 30, 2023 was $21.986B, a 1.52% increase year-over-year. Albertsons annual gross profit for 2023 was $21.756B, a 4.99% increase from 2022. Albertsons annual gross profit for 2022 was $20.722B, a 1.51% increase from 2021.<
Thank the guy who is in charge of transportation . What’s his name? Remember the backlog of ships , containers and truckers that was just the start. How about the poultry industry shortages, egg shortages… they shutdown an entire country for months and you think it is the supermarkets industry?As for Albertsons or Safeway , Publix, Shop Rite , Wegman’s , Acme and others don’t read into their posted gross… use it’s net after all bills are paid. You also realize that 4.99 % increase is due in part to people having extra $$$$ to spend. Food is perhaps one of 3 largest drivers . Those prior years we were restricted by a pandemic… I think that’s what they called it.

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT