ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Not that hard when you just bend over.

It won’t be long before China yanks out the red carpet from under Tesla. This is just the beginning. Allowing Tesla in China was a publicity stunt and will serve as revenge for Huawei. Tesla raised EV awareness in China and helped establish the initial market while the Chinese EV companies were playing catch-up. Now, the Chinese EV companies are ramping up and positioned to push Tesla aside. Chinese regulators are just getting started with Tesla. And, they will use Tesla as a either a bargaining chip or punishment for the US treatment of Huawei.

It won’t be long before China yanks out the red carpet from under Tesla. This is just the beginning. Allowing Tesla in China was a publicity stunt and will serve as revenge for Huawei. Tesla raised EV awareness in China and helped establish the initial market while the Chinese EV companies were playing catch-up. Now, the Chinese EV companies are ramping up and positioned to push Tesla aside. Chinese regulators are just getting started with Tesla. And, they will use Tesla as a either a bargaining chip or punishment for the US treatment of Huawei.

One wonders whether this means they've stolen enough of the technology that they don't need Tesla anymore.

Always thought they would do the same thing to apple or Starbucks, especially when Trump was publicly humiliating them on a near daily basis. Never did....

Always thought they would do the same thing to apple or Starbucks, especially when Trump was publicly humiliating them on a near daily basis. Never did....
I thought the same thing, but Apple and Starbucks established deep roots in China making it hard to rip them out of Chinese daily life. On the other hand, Tesla is an easy target for China domestically and China wants to own the EV market worldwide. What better target than Tesla (Silicon Valley darling) and Musk (richest man in the world)? Plus, notice they waited until Trump was gone. These issues did not miraculously appear this week.

TSLA is too big to fail right now in China. It is the only EV company big enough to support all the ancillary businesses. Once the domestic EV companies can walk, it will be a slow squeeze for TSLA in China.

TSLA is too big to fail right now in China. It is the only EV company big enough to support all the ancillary businesses. Once the domestic EV companies can walk, it will be a slow squeeze for TSLA in China.
Tesla is already feeling the squeeze. BYD unseated Tesla as China's top selling electric car brand last month, and other Chinese automakers (Nio, Geely and Xpeng) are moving fast. Will be interesting to see how Musk responds.

Tesla is already feeling the squeeze. BYD unseated Tesla as China's top selling electric car brand last month, and other Chinese automakers (Nio, Geely and Xpeng) are moving fast. Will be interesting to see how Musk responds.
He already did. #Bitcoin

We'll see. Tesla is a massive valuation bubble. But there are many others in the market. I thought David Einhorn's recent note was interesting. He said there is just a lot of newish investors who are unaware or simply don't care about valuation. They buy and don't sell.

At some point, Wall Street will crush them all. Probably long before China crushes Tesla. When the fed stops injecting and starts uwinding...LTFO below.

Reactions: patk89
We'll see. Tesla is a massive valuation bubble. But there are many others in the market. I thought David Einhorn's recent note was interesting. He said there is just a lot of newish investors who are unaware or simply don't care about valuation. They buy and don't sell.

At some point, Wall Street will crush them all. Probably long before China crushes Tesla. When the fed stops injecting and starts uwinding...LTFO below.
good point. But I think the buy and don’t sell will change when the market sells off.
Wonder they’ll ever interview any retail investors that are still long GME. To the moon!!!

One wonders whether this means they've stolen enough of the technology that they don't need Tesla anymore.
ML put out a research report last week that said the next global arms race will be over the climate. This also may lead to a Europe revival as the EU is well ahead of both China & USA in regulations and infrastructure. It's a pretty good 85 page report if you can get your hands on it.

I read the Einhorn note and have argued the point with Tesla bulls - of course without success. Same applies to Disney. These RH traders are buying stocks they think are cool, or that they know, without regard to fundamentals. Then, the hedge funds ride the RH trends pushing the stocks even higher. But, they will jump ship long before the RH traders realize there is a problem.

Reactions: chase07470
I read the Einhorn note and have argued the point with Tesla bulls - of course without success. Same applies to Disney. These RH traders are buying stocks they think are cool, or that they know, without regard to fundamentals. Then, the hedge funds ride the RH trends pushing the stocks even higher. But, they will jump ship long before the RH traders realize there is a problem.

BTW- Did you see that the CEO of the Robin Hood Foundation, a non-profit doing good work in NYC, was getting threatening e-mails? And a front page article in today's WSJ reports that the head of the Worldwide Robin Hood Society in the UK, a group of Robin Hood impersonators with the Twitter account @robinhood has the same thing happening?

The gang that couldn't shoot straight?

A couple interesting Halftime Report notes.

Stephanie Link buys IBM. Thinks they are going to turn it around behind a new CEO. They are in some hot sectors such as AI and Blockchain. I've been looking at it as a value add to balance the portfolio.

Josh Brown notes BRK.B is breaking out after doing not much of anything since the beginning of 2018. Another interesting value option.

China wants to sell it's EVs globally.
GM is in China already, but I think it's a joint venture with a Chinese company. Perhaps that is their work around?
They are, as are other US companies. This notion that China is going to single out Tesla is absurd. China wants to be a global EV player and the market is huge.

That's where you keep getting this wrong. No one is moving faster than Tesla. Please provide evidence to the contrary. "The next Tesla killer" and "the competition is coming" are years old arguments. Still waiting.... Ford, GM, VW? How do you catch a moving target that keeps pulling away from you? And in all of your rants, you've never once compared vehicle specs. I wonder why.

Reactions: redking and lne001

Stephanie Link buys IBM. Thinks they are going to turn it around behind a new CEO. They are in some hot sectors such as AI and Blockchain. I've been looking at it as a value add to balance the portfolio.

Josh Brown notes BRK.B is breaking out after doing not much of anything since the beginning of 2018. Another interesting value option.
Bought the rest of my planned GBTC and ETHE for phase one of my crypto account. Thankfully, I bought most of my GBTC when it was <$30, but the last few orders at >$40 were tough! I was planning to wait more, but Fox Business was talking about a rumor that Apple may soon announce accepting BTC for payments. KABOOM if that happens. I will have phase two funds available on Friday to buy on the dip (as needed).

Fully loaded with HIVE and Galaxy. Still need more Argo. Surprised with how well RIOT and MARA has done during this run. But the stocks I'm looking for are those with 20x potential. :)

It's just not a bubble until IBM gets love.

IBM is the chunky girl at the bar at closing time. Every single tech rally for the last 30 years.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Bought the rest of my planned GBTC and ETHE for phase one of my crypto account. Thankfully, I bought most of my GBTC when it was <$30, but the last few orders at >$40 were tough! I was planning to wait more, but Fox Business was talking about a rumor that Apple may soon announce accepting BTC for payments. KABOOM if that happens. I will have phase two funds available on Friday to buy on the dip (as needed).

Fully loaded with HIVE and Galaxy. Still need more Argo. Surprised with how well RIOT and MARA has done during this run. But the stocks I'm looking for are those with 20x potential. :)
Greedy bastard 😁

• Haha
Reactions: T2Kplus20
Old talking points from the TSLAQ gang. What's next, regulatory credits?
I didn’t realize that with every Tesla purchase you get a free pair of blinders and glass of KoolAid. I’m a Tesla fan just not a Tesla investor at these insane levels. The Tesla narrative is so warped that the guy that sold less than 500K cars last year is now the richest man in the world. Oh, sorry, I forgot Tesla isn’t a car company. My bad...

China wants to sell it's EVs globally.

They are, as are other US companies. This notion that China is going to single out Tesla is absurd. China wants to be a global EV player and the market is huge.
It’s about as absurd as the US singling out Huawei. Payback will be a...

Interesting, NIO, one of Tesla competitors in China, replaces their batteries at battery swap stations.

They give customers 2 choices. Buy a battery with the vehicle, or buy a subscription for battery swaps.

Buying a vehicle without a battery saves about $10K, depending on the size of the pack.

About $150/month for battery swap subscriptions. Good for 6 swaps.

Tesla tried this with their original Roadster, but very few used it, and the service was discontinued. It might be more of a China thing based on the needs of the customer and access to charging. No idea how many customers choose swap subscriptions vs battery purchase.

That's where you keep getting this wrong. No one is moving faster than Tesla. Please provide evidence to the contrary. "The next Tesla killer" and "the competition is coming" are years old arguments. Still waiting.... Ford, GM, VW? How do you catch a moving target that keeps pulling away from you? And in all of your rants, you've never once compared vehicle specs. I wonder why.
Tesla is pulling away at such a rapid pace that BYD (backed by Warren Buffett) just outsold Tesla. And, I’m guessing you didn’t see the GM super bowl ads - they are not year old arguments - Ford and GM are pushing all their chips in the middle. And, by the way, that’s not to say Tesla won’t be successful and sell a bunch of cars. But, anyone that thinks Tesla will rule the car world is fooling themselves. You may want to consider relenting on a single point so you don’t sound so arrogant, or worse, ignorant. We get it - you love Tesla.

Tesla is pulling away at such a rapid pace that BYD (backed by Warren Buffett) just outsold Tesla. And, I’m guessing you didn’t see the GM super bowl ads - they are not year old arguments - Ford and GM are pushing all their chips in the middle. And, by the way, that’s not to say Tesla won’t be successful and sell a bunch of cars. But, anyone that thinks Tesla will rule the car world is fooling themselves. You may want to consider relenting on a single point so you don’t sound so arrogant, or worse, ignorant. We get it - you love Tesla.
Tesla's been in Shanghai for 15 months with 1/3 of a factory. I'd say they're doing pretty good.
And yes, the "competition" has been coming for years. It's a very old argument.
I have plenty of stuff to talk about, but I'm compelled to correct all of your BS. It is getting boring though.

I've thought about getting aTesla but in the end, the only one that looks cool is the big sedan and I'm not spending $120K on a car. The rest look like a cousin of the Prius. They're just not cool looking. The truck is absurdly stupid.

I see a lead in software, but the design is an issue. If Musk can beat everyone to self drive then all the dreams come true. If not, the stock will come crashing down like a '99 internet stock.

Reactions: RUAldo
If anyone doesn’t believe in the RH and retail trader effect just look at Twitter. It’s up 30% from recent lows and hit a 7-year high. Trump was a huge driver for Twitter and now that he’s banned the stock skyrockets? Tesla, Disney, Twitter...see a pattern?

Sweet looking ride coming from Audi/VW. Tesla killer?

"Audi has announced the E-Tron GT, an expensive new high-performance electric sedan built on technology developed for Porsche’s first EV, the Taycan.

Due out this spring in Europe, the E-Tron GT will start at €99,800 with a top-spec RS version starting at €138,200. It will then come stateside in the summer, with the base GT starting at $99,900 and the RS beginning at $139,900.

For all of that money, buyers will get the most performance that Audi has squeezed out of an electric car to date. The standard E-Tron GT can output 350kW of power, or roughly 470 horsepower, while the RS version boasts 440kW, or about 590 horsepower. In overboost mode, those numbers jump to 522 horsepower and 637 horsepower, respectively. With overboost and launch control, the E-Tron GT can sprint to 100 kilometers per hour in 4.1 seconds, and the RS version makes that run in 3.3 seconds. Not bad for a car that weighs about 5,100 pounds.

Audi promises “more than” 488 kilometers / 298 miles of range as a best case scenario

Both models achieve that performance with a dual-motor, all-wheel drive setup that’s powered by a 93kWh battery pack (with 85kWh of usable energy). The battery pack uses 800-volt technology, too, which not only lets the GT perform at high levels but will also enable faster charging. Audi says just five minutes will recover 100 kilometers, or 62 miles, of range when hooked up to a high-speed charging network like Volkswagen’s Electrify America." 😊 😊😊

Last edited:
Highly recommended. Just listened to ARK Invest's monthly webcast (today's should be loaded for replay soon):

CW and her team tackled a lot of issues, including a response to Jason Zweig's column that I posted a few days ago (about ARK's rapid growth and size becoming a problem).
@mdk01

Great listen.

Sweet looking ride coming from Audi/VW. Tesla killer?

"Audi has announced the E-Tron GT, an expensive new high-performance electric sedan built on technology developed for Porsche’s first EV, the Taycan.

Due out this spring in Europe, the E-Tron GT will start at €99,800 with a top-spec RS version starting at €138,200. It will then come stateside in the summer, with the base GT starting at $99,900 and the RS beginning at $139,900.

For all of that money, buyers will get the most performance that Audi has squeezed out of an electric car to date. The standard E-Tron GT can output 350kW of power, or roughly 470 horsepower, while the RS version boasts 440kW, or about 590 horsepower. In overboost mode, those numbers jump to 522 horsepower and 637 horsepower, respectively. With overboost and launch control, the E-Tron GT can sprint to 100 kilometers per hour in 4.1 seconds, and the RS version makes that run in 3.3 seconds. Not bad for a car that weighs about 5,100 pounds.

Audi promises “more than” 488 kilometers / 298 miles of range as a best case scenario

Both models achieve that performance with a dual-motor, all-wheel drive setup that’s powered by a 93kWh battery pack (with 85kWh of usable energy). The battery pack uses 800-volt technology, too, which not only lets the GT perform at high levels but will also enable faster charging. Audi says just five minutes will recover 100 kilometers, or 62 miles, of range when hooked up to a high-speed charging network like Volkswagen’s Electrify America." 😊 😊😊

I could buy an ICE car for cash and live for a year, obviously not in luxury, and keep the total under $99,900. It may kill a top end Tesla, but that's about it.

I could buy an ICE car for cash and live for a year, obviously not in luxury, and keep the total under $99,900. It may kill a top end Tesla, but that's about it.

Kind of tongue in cheek as "Tesla Killer" was mentioned above by our favorite Tesla bull.

I would be a buyer of Model 3 AWD for mid 30s. My oldest is about to hit the road. I’m looking at a CX-5 or CX-30. Just can’t justify paying an extra 20k (70% prem).

If anyone doesn’t believe in the RH and retail trader effect just look at Twitter. It’s up 30% from recent lows and hit a 7-year high. Trump was a huge driver for Twitter and now that he’s banned the stock skyrockets? Tesla, Disney, Twitter...see a pattern?
Add Shake Shack to that list.

Now you have gone too far. Shake shack is going to the moon.
I love Shake Shack’s food, but the last quarter was terrible yet the stock ripped higher. Q4 revenue only rose 4% while same-store sales dropped 17.4%. And, urban same-store sales plunged 31%, while Shake Shack’s suburban same-store sales were flat. Obviously the COVID impact is huge but does that mean the stock should be up 70%?

I love Shake Shack’s food, but the last quarter was terrible yet the stock ripped higher. Q4 revenue only rose 4% while same-store sales dropped 17.4%. And, urban same-store sales plunged 31%, while Shake Shack’s suburban same-store sales were flat. Obviously the COVID impact is huge but does that mean the stock should be up 70%?
Also, PE is -188

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT