ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Interesting footnote in Tesla’s 10-K regarding bitcoin.

In January 2021, we updated our investment policy to provide us with more flexibility to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity. As part of the policy, we may invest a portion of such cash in certain specified alternative reserve assets. Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy. Moreover, we expect to begin accepting bitcoin as a form of payment for our products in the near future, subject to applicable laws and initially on a limited basis, which we may or may not liquidate upon receipt.

We will account for digital assets as indefinite-lived intangible assets in accordance with ASC 350, Intangibles–Goodwill and Other. The digital assets are initially recorded at cost and are subsequently remeasured on the consolidated balance sheet at cost, net of any impairment losses incurred since acquisition. We will perform an analysis each quarter to identify impairment. If the carrying value of the digital asset exceeds the fair value based on the lowest price quoted in the active exchanges during the period, we will recognize an impairment loss equal to the difference in the consolidated statement of operations.

The cost basis of the digital assets will not be adjusted upward for any subsequent increases in their quoted prices on the active exchanges. Gains (if any) will not be recorded until realized upon sale.

So the accounting rules treat bitcoin not as a cash equivalent but as an intangible asset. As such, if the price of bitcoin declines, they must write it down but can’t write it up unless they sell it. Pretty interesting,

Somewhat separately, I do wonder whether they will price cars in bitcoin or dollars. If dollars, then accepting bitcoin as payment is interesting but somewhat cosmetic.

Reactions: Postman_1
Anyone have any feedback on these EV ETF's? I was thinking of getting into one of them. Maybe IDRV
This is from a article on Seeking Alpha.

The real EV boom has only just begun so there is still time to get in, ideally sooner rather than later. With 2020 electric car market share at only 4.2%, this leaves plenty of room for growth this decade. My forecast is for 20% share by 2025 and 70% by 2030. Ark Invest is more bullish with 40% by 2025. Mid-2022 into 2023 is likely to be the start of exponential EV sales growth as we hit EV/ICE purchase price parity.

I have covered 6 EV ETFs in this article. The 6 ETFs can be broken up into 2 key groups, with plenty of overlap.

• EVs + AVs and some supply chain ETFs - DRIV, KARS, HAIL, IDRV.
  • EV + EV supply chain (battery makers, miners (notable lithium)) ETFs - LIT, BATT.
They do give broad coverage to the EV and EV supply chain thematic, but none are really pure play EV funds. My view is that they are all worth consideration if you want exposure to the 'broader' EV thematic and supply chain thematic, and in several cases the AV thematic.

My top picks for now would be HAIL, IDRV, and BATT. If I was to choose my number one ETF from the group, then I would go with BATT at this time as I like their top ten holdings the most. I also like the battery manufacturer focus at a time when there is battery shortages across the industry.

Valuations are in some cases not cheap due to the recent run up in the sector, but given the growth ahead, they should still be worth accumulating and taking a 10 year time investment frame.

My personal preference is to hold some of these ETFs, but also to create your own purer play electric vehicle ETF by selecting your top 5 EV stocks. My top 5 are shown in my Sept. 2020 article "Top 5 EV Stocks To Buy". They were Tesla (TSLA), BYD Co. (OTCPK:BYDDY) (OTCPK:BYDDF), NIO Ltd. (NIO), Renault (OTC:RNSDF), and Fisker Inc. (FSR). To update my top 5, I would remove Renault and add in XPeng Inc. (XPEV). I would look to accumulate these top names on price dips and to continue to hold them long term if their businesses were doing well.

As usual, all comments are welcome.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Anyone have any feedback on these EV ETF's? I was thinking of getting into one of them. Maybe IDRV

The real EV boom has only just begun so there is still time to get in, ideally sooner rather than later. With 2020 electric car market share at only 4.2%, this leaves plenty of room for growth this decade. My forecast is for 20% share by 2025 and 70% by 2030. Ark Invest is more bullish with 40% by 2025. Mid-2022 into 2023 is likely to be the start of exponential EV sales growth as we hit EV/ICE purchase price parity.

I have covered 6 EV ETFs in this article. The 6 ETFs can be broken up into 2 key groups, with plenty of overlap.

• EV + EV supply chain (battery makers, miners (notable lithium)) ETFs - LIT, BATT.
They do give broad coverage to the EV and EV supply chain thematic, but none are really pure play EV funds. My view is that they are all worth consideration if you want exposure to the 'broader' EV thematic and supply chain thematic, and in several cases the AV thematic.

My top picks for now would be HAIL, IDRV, and BATT. If I was to choose my number one ETF from the group, then I would go with BATT at this time as I like their top ten holdings the most. I also like the battery manufacturer focus at a time when there is battery shortages across the industry.

Valuations are in some cases not cheap due to the recent run up in the sector, but given the growth ahead, they should still be worth accumulating and taking a 10 year time investment frame.

My personal preference is to hold some of these ETFs, but also to create your own purer play electric vehicle ETF by selecting your top 5 EV stocks. My top 5 are shown in my Sept. 2020 article "Top 5 EV Stocks To Buy". They were Tesla (TSLA), BYD Co. (OTCPK:BYDDY) (OTCPK:BYDDF), NIO Ltd. (NIO), Renault (OTC:RNSDF), and Fisker Inc. (FSR). To update my top 5, I would remove Renault and add in XPeng Inc. (XPEV). I would look to accumulate these top names on price dips and to continue to hold them long term if their businesses were doing well.

I own IDRV and HAIL, which compliment each other nicely to cover EV, self-driving, smart mobility and corresponding value chains. Great performers! IDRV is more focused on larger caps, HAIL on small/mid caps/emerging tech.

Reactions: Postman_1
The Cybertruck will be the next DeLorean. It became obvious that it’s more of a gimmick than anything else the second Tesla only required a $100 deposit. The design will appeal to virtually no one other t
Actually, it was a great commercial for Tesla. Since you can't buy an EV from GM other than the Bolt (yuck), anyone watching who's considering an EV will definitely consider a Tesla. Ya know, the company that actually has a product.
lol someone else already said it.

Let me spell something out for you, any product that relies on brand cachet, styling, and delivers statements about the owner - there will never be a hegemon in that space.

Tesla cannot be an amazon repeat - amazon just sells you everything you want and takes a cut. They revolutionized how you buy and get those retail items. They monetized their app, data, and expanded into the entertainment industry. They have cornered a majority of those segments. But Notbody cares if everyone buys through Amazon because at the end of the day they still buy whatever they want. There's very little product that carries the Amazon name.

Tesla will not capture that mojo! The second they become too common folks will want something else. It's already evident in the model S. If everyone drove a tesla how boring would that be? You will have at least 15 players in every major nation because that's the name of the game.
I think the Hummer is GM's way of telling loyal GM customers that EV's can be big and powerful. Where as the Bolt(or even worse the Prius) came across as pretty wimpy.

Ford is doing the same with Mustang. Fast and exciting.

TSLA owners know that Performance and EV need not be mutually exclusive, but many Americans do not.
It's a brilliant pr and marketing move to use the hummer name. It's going to be wildly successful. And the fact that GM is finally thinking this way is why I'm bullish on their Future. I think ford shit the bed using the mustang name for a car that isn't a sports car ev. They should have used a different name for a halo effect. Hummer as an EV deserves a marketing of the year award. Complete convergence of huge badass monstrosity + EV environmentalism = huge margins on a high price vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05
When ARK says 40%, is that purchases or vehicles on the road? We will barely turn over 40% of the fleet by 2025. And will somebody PLEASE tell me how the charging station issue will be solved by 2025 to the extent that it will facilitate a 40% purchase rate.

It's a brilliant pr and marketing move to use the hummer name. It's going to be wildly successful. And the fact that GM is finally thinking this way is why I'm bullish on their Future. I think ford shit the bed using the mustang name for a car that isn't a sports car ev. They should have used a different name for a halo effect. Hummer as an EV deserves a marketing of the year award. Complete convergence of huge badass monstrosity + EV environmentalism = huge margins on a high price vehicle.

They are great at marketing, not so good at making cars. I agree the Hummer looks great and the mustang is a fail.

When ARK says 40%, is that purchases or vehicles on the road? We will barely turn over 40% of the fleet by 2025. And will somebody PLEASE tell me how the charging station issue will be solved by 2025 to the extent that it will facilitate a 40% purchase rate.
40% new car purchases. The most important charging station is your home. 😜

40% new car purchases. The most important charging station is your home. 😜

Oh to be an electrician in the coming years. There are going to be a shitload of detached garages that have to be wired to do that. I guess all those Hoboken, JC residents are going to be SOL.

what’s your point?
Only that valuation doesn’t matter anymore. RH and retail traders are pushing Shake Shack to the atmosphere simply because they like their burgers and shakes. I owned Shake Shack pre-COVID and lost my shirt after every earnings report because their same store sales numbers actually mattered.

Oh to be an electrician in the coming years. There are going to be a shitload of detached garages that to have to be wired to do that. I guess all those Hoboken, JC residents are going to be SOL.

Also, nobody seems to be factoring in America's failing electrical grid and the issue of single point of failure. The dependence on the electrical grid definitely makes me hesitant on buying one.

They are great at marketing, not so good at making cars. I agree the Hummer looks great and the mustang is a fail.
I don't know about that... Have you been in their vehicles lately? Product quality is up on all their brands. Satisfaction is up. I don't expect a chevy to be on par with MB but the caddy fit and finish is very close.

Purchase. That seems like a bullish forecast to me, but I don't think it will be far off. Disruption moves the needle quickly. Also, what's the value of a used ICE in 5-10 years? Smart buyers will consider that.

As for charging, most EV owners who are homeowners will mostly charge at home. But, you're correct. Charging infrastructure needs to accelerate. Tesla has 20K+ superchargers currently, and they will double that by the end of this year. Bunch of others out there like Charge Point and EVGo, but I'm not familiar with their numbers or what type of fast charging they offer. Also, on Tesla's website you can apply for a supercharger if you're a business owner.

In January 2021, we updated our investment policy to provide us with more flexibility to further diversify and maximize returns on our cash that is not required to maintain adequate operating liquidity. As part of the policy, we may invest a portion of such cash in certain specified alternative reserve assets. Thereafter, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin under this policy. Moreover, we expect to begin accepting bitcoin as a form of payment for our products in the near future, subject to applicable laws and initially on a limited basis, which we may or may not liquidate upon receipt.

We will account for digital assets as indefinite-lived intangible assets in accordance with ASC 350, Intangibles–Goodwill and Other. The digital assets are initially recorded at cost and are subsequently remeasured on the consolidated balance sheet at cost, net of any impairment losses incurred since acquisition. We will perform an analysis each quarter to identify impairment. If the carrying value of the digital asset exceeds the fair value based on the lowest price quoted in the active exchanges during the period, we will recognize an impairment loss equal to the difference in the consolidated statement of operations.

The cost basis of the digital assets will not be adjusted upward for any subsequent increases in their quoted prices on the active exchanges. Gains (if any) will not be recorded until realized upon sale.

So the accounting rules treat bitcoin not as a cash equivalent but as an intangible asset. As such, if the price of bitcoin declines, they must write it down but can’t write it up unless they sell it. Pretty interesting,

Somewhat separately, I do wonder whether they will price cars in bitcoin or dollars. If dollars, then accepting bitcoin as payment is interesting but somewhat cosmetic.

There are many new and probably evolving issues around accounting for digital assets. The link below identifies many, but doesn’t suggest all the answers are known.

Reactions: Frida's Boss
If you are into the EV play I also think you should be into the battery recycling space. Could be a great time to get in super early

I think most legacy automakers are doomed, and would only investment in companies that are EV only and aren't shackled to the ICE business.

Purchase. That seems like a bullish forecast to me, but I don't think it will be far off. Disruption moves the needle quickly. Also, what's the value of a used ICE in 5-10 years? Smart buyers will consider that.

As for charging, most EV owners who are homeowners will mostly charge at home. But, you're correct. Charging infrastructure needs to accelerate. Tesla has 20K+ superchargers currently, and they will double that by the end of this year. Bunch of others out there like Charge Point and EVGo, but I'm not familiar with their numbers or what type of fast charging they offer. Also, on Tesla's website you can apply for a supercharger if you're a business owner.

40K ready by year end. There are over 100 million cars in the fleet. Adequate coverage for a 40% purchase rate by '25 remains a mystery.

And for those like me who drive a car into the ground before replacing the value in 5-10 years is irrelevent .

Also, nobody seems to be factoring in America's failing electrical grid and the issue of single point of failure. The dependence on the electrical grid definitely makes me hesitant on buying one.
Good point. Stationary storage needs accelerate rapidly. Southern Australia has stabilized their grid with massive stationary storage projects and saved $millions by doing so. Of course, the current limiting factor is batteries. We need lots and lots of batteries.

Only that valuation doesn’t matter anymore. RH and retail traders are pushing Shake Shack to the atmosphere simply because they like their burgers and shakes. I owned Shake Shack pre-COVID and lost my shirt after every earnings report because their same store sales numbers actually mattered.
You need to invest in sarcasm meters.

Reactions: RUAldo
For those interested in risk arbitrage, I would look into purchasing APHA. APHA and TLRY are in agreement to merge at an unspecified date (maybe April or May of 2021). 1 share of APHA will convert to ~0.84 shares of TLRY. At the close today APHA was trading at $14.74 and TLRY at $23.49. APHA trades at a $6 discount. That is wide. APHA can go up to catch up to TLRY; TLRY could go down; both go down, with TLRY going down faster than APHA. Merger could also get cancelled, although there are a lot of cannabis stocks out there. My guess (only my personal guess) is that APHA will go up. I would buy APHA.

After just 1 week, this trade is looking good. The gap is widening for APHA.

40K ready by year end. There are over 100 million cars in the fleet. Adequate coverage for a 40% purchase rate by '25 remains a mystery.

And for those like me who drive a car into the ground before replacing the value in 5-10 years is irrelevent .
The need for a charging station isn't like the need for a gas station. Many EV owners will never visit a charging station. Others maybe a few times/year. And again, Tesla isn't the only game in town when it comes to charging. The whole network is expanding rapidly. Perhaps there are some good investment opportunities.
I'm not dismissing the issue, just don't think it's that big of a problem. Didn't we go from horses to cars in a decade? If we were able to figure it out in the 1920s, I think this is a solvable problem.

Will it be like TSLA sells every car they built discussion?
Well, it's a bs argument only used by the TSLAQ boys, aka the dumbest investors on Wall St. Reg credits didn't seem to stop Tesla's inclusion into the S&P. Knowing that Tesla is a growth co, I suspect you know it's bs too.
Musk said, "We want to be profitable, but only slightly profitable. We want to maximize growth and try to make our products as affordable as possible"

Don't you think this will make global transactions easier, rather than dealing with various foreign currencies? No idea if this is a motivating factor.
I also think they'll start small with purchases. Things like software upgrades, items from the online shop, monthly premium connectivity subscription, supercharging fees.

The need for a charging station isn't like the need for a gas station,

It is if you park on the street or a large lot.

If we were able to figure it out in the 1920s

I think you mean the '10s and 20s. 2 decades and a lot less than 100+ million vehicles. And as someone above said, how do you charge those 100+ million vehicles with the current electrical generation and transmission capabilities.

Don't you think this will make global transactions easier, rather than dealing with various foreign currencies? No idea if this is a motivating factor.
I also think they'll start small with purchases. Things like software upgrades, items from the online shop, monthly premium connectivity subscription, supercharging fees.

The post you replied to was more about bitcoin than Tesla (even though I pasted in an excerpt fro Tesla’s 10-k filing). I found it fascinating that the accounting treatment classifies crypto as a) long term, and not current; b) intangible; and c) subject to the same rules as intangible impairment rather than traded items which can be easily marked to market. Granted, that’s how accountants have decided to characterize crypto under US GAAP, and they aren’t the last word, but it is fascinating.

To your point, I don’t love the purchase by Tesla. Here is a company with massive growth potential and correspondingly massive investment needs. As a shareholder, it’s reasonable to expect future share issuance, and dilution, to help finance these needs. In my opinion, it’s not reasonable to dilute shareholders who invest in the presumed EV global powerhouse only to see them turn around and make a speculative purchase of crypto currency. Just not the proper allocation of resources, and not what shareholders expected, I suspect.

I also don’t love the argument that this will facilitate global purchases. Chinese pay in CNY, and expenses incurred to manufacture cars in China are also remitted in CNY. Same with USD and Euros. These provide natural hedges against currency movements in each jurisdiction, and bitcoin provides none of those natural hedge benefits. A business should care about such hedging, and I don’t see how bitcoin meets that need at all.

Good point. Stationary storage needs accelerate rapidly. Southern Australia has stabilized their grid with massive stationary storage projects and saved $millions by doing so. Of course, the current limiting factor is batteries. We need lots and lots of batteries.

Power storage is the holy grail. Whoever figures that out will be richer than Musk. I don't think current battery technology will be the answer in the long run.

Reactions: RUBlackout
I do agree. I think it would have made more sense to call it the Explorer if they were intent on making an SUV, but maybe it says something about where they feel they see the future sales of the Mustang?

But I think think they will get back in the game when the E-Bronco comes out. The E F-150? Not so sure about that one just yet.

I don't know about that... Have you been in their vehicles lately? Product quality is up on all their brands. Satisfaction is up. I don't expect a chevy to be on par with MB but the caddy fit and finish is very close.

If I buy one, it will be a Tesla, not a GM or Ford.

The need for a charging station isn't like the need for a gas station. Many EV owners will never visit a charging station. Others maybe a few times/year. And again, Tesla isn't the only game in town when it comes to charging. The whole network is expanding rapidly. Perhaps there are some good investment opportunities.
I'm not dismissing the issue, just don't think it's that big of a problem. Didn't we go from horses to cars in a decade? If we were able to figure it out in the 1920s, I think this is a solvable problem.

Agree, if there is a real need for charging stations they will be popping up everywhere, in every walmart, McDonalds, etc.

See BLNK. HUGE run already, but still only a 2.5 B market cap.

Oh to be an electrician in the coming years. There are going to be a shitload of detached garages that have to be wired to do that. I guess all those Hoboken, JC residents are going to be SOL.
People will have to stop working from home just so they can go to work and get their car charged.

If I buy one, it will be a Tesla, not a GM or Ford.
Ok - good for you.... Still haven't stated why?

Is it because of fit and finish? Tesla's sucks btwis it because autopilot is superior? Have you compared with super cruise? Because some industry folks think it's superior.

Love your blanket statements that aren't grounded in anything real. Lol

So BTC was finding support around 30K for the past month, but I wonder if, after breaking past that previous high around 42K if that will now act as the new support level.

I just shorted this stock.
So what are the specifics when you short? Do you agree on a timeline at the time of shorting, or can you play it by ear? How long can you be short a stock?

I haven't wanted to chase but BLNK has just kept rocketing higher. Still a small company, and I think you could get in trouble in they start signing deals with gov't agencies for large installations, but if it does have a big drop in the near future I'd probably look to get in.

Rev's nearly doubled 2019 to 2020. And are expecting to double again in 2021. Sign some big deals and that could jump by multiples.

GM up on better then expected profits and revs as well as reaffirmation on EV and autonomous investment, $7b investment this year.

Edit:Now GM is down 1%, apparently because of the lack of chips slowing down production.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT