ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Since I enjoy it, and thus far have done pretty well at it, I'll keep with it.

But I might add ARKK into the mix.
Not sure how old you are and how much you are investing, but a large portion of your retirement assets should be in funds (managed or index). Steady compounding builds wealth:

These 2 funds have been rocking 15% returns since the 80s and 90s. That consistent return is amazing.

ARKK also has a amazing record (short, but so far so good).

I assume well respected pros can do a better job than me! The great thing about Morningstar Premium is its review of fund managers and analyst teams.

By the way, I like ARKK better then the others, since it is a composite of all areas of innovation vs the other ARK funds that focus on specific industries. Better diversity and more likely to perform!

Didn’t you say a few weeks ago, that you wouldn’t touch ARKK? Just curious, what changed your mind?

Reactions: T2Kplus20
T
Not sure how old you are and how much you are investing, but a large portion of your retirement assets should be in funds (managed or index). Steady compounding builds wealth:

These 2 funds have been rocking 15% returns since the 80s and 90s. That consistent return is amazing.

ARKK also has a amazing record (short, but so far so good).
The ARKK is pretty interesting in that it was flat it's first couple years(perhaps people were not aware of it?), then went up 150% in a year and a half, then was flat from mid 2018 right up to Covid. They have nailed the post covid recovery, but as many here like to point out, it's been easy to nail it in this market.

At this point though, people seem to buy into anything ARK buys, so that's a nice tailwind for their ETF's.

+1
Not touching Bitcoin or ARKK with a ten foot pole. Futures look pretty flat for the last trading day of the year.

Yes, you did and just 2 weeks ago. Now you are singing praises. I think it is a great investment, but always interested in knowing why people change their minds quickly and dramatically.

Didn’t you say a few weeks ago, that you wouldn’t touch ARKK? Just curious, what changed your mind?
2 weeks of research. :)

Learned more about its 5 year track record and Cathie Wood. Not into the other ARK funds since they are so focused, but ARKK casts a wider net. I'm planning for it to be 5% of my E-Trade account (which is only 15% of my retirement assets). So just a light touch.

Reactions: rurahrah000
T

The ARKK is pretty interesting in that it was flat it's first couple years(perhaps people were not aware of it?), then went up 150% in a year and a half, then was flat from mid 2018 right up to Covid. They have nailed the post covid recovery, but as many here like to point out, it's been easy to nail it in this market.

At this point though, people seem to buy into anything ARK buys, so that's a nice tailwind for their ETF's.
What sold me on ARKK was 2018. It's return was only +3.5%, but this was in a down market and well above category and benchmarks (outperformed both by 10% and 8%). You assume the first year or so what about getting the strategy right and getting noticed. However, the rocked it in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and so far so good in 2021.

Yes, you did and just 2 weeks ago. Now you are singing praises. I think it is a great investment, but always interested in knowing why people change their minds quickly and dramatically.
See above. I learned something new and took action! 😁

Seems to be a trend going on. :)

I'm one of the 10 million new accounts the article mentions. I'm also very much in on these trends.

And unless those 10 million accounts go away(I actually think it will continue to grow) I think those trends will continue, or in time, give way to new trends.

Because of that I think I'm going to start going over to WSB-Redditt more often to see which way the trends are trending. Edit: Aight, that didn't last long, but if there are WSB posters here who want to let us know whats going on over there, that would be cool.

Last edited:
I'm one of the 10 million new accounts the article mentions. I'm also very much in on these trends.

And unless those 10 million accounts go away(I actually think it will continue to grow) I think those trends will continue, or in time, give way to new trends.

Because of that I think I'm going to start going over to WSB-Redditt more often to see which way the trends are trending. Edit: Aight, that didn't last long, but if there are WSB posters here who want to let us know whats going on over there, that would be cool.

"Kid, you're on a roll. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it never does."
---Lou Mannheim. Wall Street

"Kid, you're on a roll. Enjoy it while it lasts, because it never does."
---Lou Mannheim. Wall Street
Are there any other movie quotes out there, or are people going to keep using this one over and over?

I'm in the stock market. But I also realize that if the SHTF, it's just paper and electronic chits. You can't eat bitcoin and equities.

People with financial advisors spend an average of 80 hours a year planning for their family’s financial future. Shouldn’t you also be planning for their future if the whole systems breaks down? Your wealth can't prevent climate change, but it can help you be prepared.

That's why I'm a partner and investor in Merriwood Sustainable Community. It enables you to convert wealth in the current system into assets that will support you and your family if the system struggles or fails.

www.merriwoodcommunity.com

I'm in the stock market. But I also realize that if the SHTF, it's just paper and electronic chits. You can't eat bitcoin and equities.

People with financial advisors spend an average of 80 hours a year planning for their family’s financial future. Shouldn’t you also be planning for their future if the whole systems breaks down? Your wealth can't prevent climate change, but it can help you be prepared.

That's why I'm a partner and investor in Merriwood Sustainable Community. It enables you to convert wealth in the current system into assets that will support you and your family if the system struggles or fails.

www.merriwoodcommunity.com
Climate change? Please take your hippie stuff to another thread. This one is about capitalism and making money! 😁

Reactions: RUBlackout
Are there any other movie quotes out there, or are people going to keep using this one over and over?
giphy.gif

Just don't get too greedy! LOL.

giphy.gif

Just don't get too greedy! LOL.
I feel I've actually been pretty prudent. I talk about it a fair amount, taking profits from high runners and putting that money towards established companies with consistent profits and reasonable multiples.

Some posters want to focus on the crypto talk, or the penny stock talk, but there is a lot more going on here then that.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Everyone:
@Frida's Boss
@RUTGERS95
@RU-05
@rurahrah000
@mdk01
@ScarletNut
And others.....besides CNBC, what is your daily source for investing and market news?
Well, as I've noted, I'm big on watching CNBC.

In addition to that, e-trade has outsourced news and opinions. I'll go through my portfolio daily to see what's happening, especially from the movers. Likewise I'll look at the big daily movers in the market and look to see what is driving those moves.

E-trade also has a stock screener where you can isolate stocks according to various metrics. Or tools where you can search for stocks that they view as undervalued, or overvalued, inexpensive growth, or a bunch of other options. Not exactly news here, but part of my process.

Everyone:
@Frida's Boss
@RUTGERS95
@RU-05
@rurahrah000
@mdk01
@ScarletNut
And others.....besides CNBC, what is your daily source for investing and market news?

CNBC is actually a great source. I've done quite well this year listening to their commentary. I've also done well investing in their final trades.

Wall St Bets & Twitter can also be assets. I used them to find obscure articles and information. WSB, take a lot of time to learn there language and learn the difference between what they're just trying to meme into existence and what is legitimate. Had I had the cahones of some of them, I would have purchased Tesla calls in early April and made a lot of money. I did very well off of Penn, NIO, NVAX and several others.

I also did really well on the SPACs sub reddit by getting in early on Nikola, HYLN, TTCF, CCIV and others. I sold Nikola at 70 for 600% profit.

I found SOLO & FCEL off twitter.

There's information everywhere. Your personal bullshit meter needs to be good to decipher what is legit, and who are the jerkoffs trying to pump & dump Hertz because they bought options for nothing.

Reactions: RU-05
This may be behind a paywall, but an interesting column from Jason Zweig in Saturday's WSJ about theme based ETFs. https://www.wsj.com/article/the-sto...est-funds-thematic-etfs-arkg-vegn-11610722419
Got access via my Fidelity account:

The Story Behind the Market's Hottest Funds
BY JASON ZWEIG, MARKETWATCH - 6:12 PM ET 1/15/2021
Email Facebook. Twitter. LinkedIn. Print
Investors used to love "story stocks." Now they love story ETFs.

A story stock is driven not by earnings or assets but by a simple, alluring narrative: a dynamic new boss, dazzling technology or customers going ga-ga for its products. A story ETF is an exchange-traded fund that invests not in an entire market or single sector but rather in a concept or trend.

You're probably better off buying a story ETF than a story stock; at least the fund is somewhat diversified. But story ETFs carry their own risks.

Often called thematic ETFs, these funds cut across industries, trying to capitalize on ideas like alternative energy, cloud computing or 3-D printing. Others buy stocks that could benefit as more people work from home, demand gender or racial diversity, or lavish money on their pets.

Assets in these funds have grown at an average of 45% annually over the past three years, says William Baun of Fuse Research Network in Needham, Mass.

In the fourth quarter of 2020 alone, thematic ETF assets shot up 78% to $104 billion (https://www.globalxetfs.com/ content/files/Thematic-ETF-Report-Q4-2020.pdf), according to Global X Management Co. LLC, which offers several such funds.

One reason is performance. Invesco WilderHill Clean Energy ETF(PBW) gained 205% last year. ARK Genomic Revolution ETF(ARKG) returned 181%, and its four sibling funds each went up at least 100%.

In addition, the pandemic undercut the traditional belief that stocks in the same sector tend to move together, says Jay Jacobs, head of research and strategy at Global X. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. and Amazon.com(AMZN) Inc. are both consumer discretionary stocks, but Norwegian's shares sank 56% in 2020 while Amazon shot up 76%. Meanwhile, ETFs pursuing the online-shopping theme across several industries were up between 74% and 123% last year.

In 2020, with investors stuck at home, trends hit home. "People now understand themes like cloud computing and collaborative software in ways they might not have appreciated before," says Scott Helfstein, head of thematic investing at ProShare Advisors LLC in Bethesda, Md. "All of a sudden, here they were. It was like, 'Invest in what you know.'"

Investors pursuing themes that seem obvious should remember a few principles that ought to be even more obvious.

Investing in only a slice of the market, instead of the entire market, lowers your diversification and raises your risk. Management fees can be at least 10 times higher than on ETFs that track the stock market as a whole. If a theme appeals intuitively to you, chances are it appeals to millions of other investors too, making a fund's underlying holdings more expensive.

A new study (https://ssrn.com/abstract=3765063) by several finance professors finds that, on average, such ETFs hold only about one-quarter as many stocks as do broad-based funds. Looking at more than 1,000 ETFs of all types between 1993 and 2019, the researchers found that thematic funds underperformed the overall stock market by about 0.5 percentage points per month, adjusted for risk.

They also found that these funds tend to launch months after a theme has gotten hot--amid a crescendo of media hype and stocks earning eye-popping returns.

It takes several months to launch an ETF, according to industry executives. Between the time a compelling theme emerges and an ETF hits the market, the stocks that play off that trend can become dangerously overvalued. That means fund managers are often "packaging dreams," says Itzhak Ben-David (http://ben-david.1@osu.edu/?fa=lowres), one of the study's authors.

In other words, investors have a natural tendency to buy at exactly the wrong time, and these funds can make that even worse.

"That is a risk," says Robert D. Nestor, president of Rafferty Asset Management LLC, which manages several thematic ETFs under the Direxion name. "It would be disingenuous to say otherwise."

Quirky rules of portfolio construction can also crop up. At the U.S. Vegan Climate ETF (https://www.wsj.com/market- data/quotes/etf/VEGN), the size of any single stock position is limited to 4.5%. Yet Tesla(TSLA) Inc., the fund's largest holding, has mushroomed to 7.9% of total assets.

The 4.5% limit is enforced twice a year, when the fund rebalances, or adjusts the size of its holdings, each June and December.

In its semi-annual rebalancing, the Vegan fund reduces any positions that are above 4.5%. It uses the proceeds of such sales to buy more of its other top holdings, says Claire Smith, chief executive of the fund's adviser, Beyond Investing LLC.

That could concentrate the fund in a handful of winners over time. The policy would come under review if it ends up making the fund too top-heavy, she says.

Overall, story ETFs are more fun than plain old index funds that hold everything in the market--but riskier, too.

In years past, "people might get a stock tip from a taxi driver," says Deborah Fuhr, founder of ETFGI, a fund-research firm in London. "Now, most people can have their own view on a theme."

These ETFs are "the new version of stock tips for the new world," she says.

Well, I've got a tip for you. If you think you've spotted a theme that other investors haven't fully appreciated yet, ask yourself how come there's already a thematic fund for it.

Everyone:
@Frida's Boss
@RUTGERS95
@RU-05
@rurahrah000
@mdk01
@ScarletNut

Today, I spend far less time looking for individual stocks or bonds than in the past, I’ve adopted a strategy where I look for outperformance in private investments and am satisfied with earning market returns in public issues. That said, I did shift last spring and would do so, market depending, again. In that type of market, I’d do as follows:

Absorb the WSJ and NYT business section daily in the morning (this I do always)
Weekly, review the 52 week low list
Weekly, rerun screens looking for cheaper stuff, on the one hand, and high quality businesses selling for fair prices, on the other.
Review disclosures from successful investors to see new positions, but looking for any big changes, quarterly reviews of 13Fs. The site dataroma is very useful.
Once I have a target list, it’s research on potential new stocks and on what I own.

I also subscribe to two research publications that I find useful and entertaining, and read investor letters from managers I respect.

That’s about it. I don’t really watch business news on television. I also never make predictions on what the market will do overall; rather, I try to assess where prices stand relative to valuations. This is falls out of the process for me, as I find lots more new potential stocks if values are attractive and fewer when they are not. I am always happy to sit with cash as the default position if nothing is interesting.

Today, I spend far less time looking for individual stocks or bonds than in the past, I’ve adopted a strategy where I look for outperformance in private investments and am satisfied with earning market returns in public issues. That said, I did shift last spring and would do so, market depending, again. In that type of market, I’d do as follows:

Weekly, rerun screens looking for cheaper stuff, on the one hand, and high quality businesses selling for fair prices, on the other.
Review disclosures from successful investors to see new positions, but looking for any big changes, quarterly reviews of 13Fs. The site dataroma is very useful.
Once I have a target list, it’s research on potential new stocks and on what I own.

I also subscribe to two research publications that I find useful and entertaining, and read investor letters from managers I respect.

That’s about it. I don’t really watch business news on television. I also never make predictions on what the market will do overall; rather, I try to assess where prices stand relative to valuations. This is falls out of the process for me, as I find lots more new potential stocks if values are attractive and fewer when they are not. I am always happy to sit with cash as the default position if nothing is interesting.
Interesting stuff, especially with the 52-week low list. Do you have any experience with Morningstar Premium? I signed up a few months ago mostly for funds and ETFs info. However, they also analyze stocks and rate them from 1-5 stars:
1 = Overvalued
3 = Fair value
5 = Undervalued

And of course 2 and 4 being in the middle of those ranges. Their list of 5 star stocks with economic moats is very useful. I have learned a lot.

ARKK’s biggest holding by far is TSLA.

Their next big bet is biotech.
+1
One thing interesting about their portfolio, it is only 48 stocks plus some cash. Its annual turnover rate is 80%, which is very high. They are continuously making changes and trying to catch new opportunities. This can be good or bad, depending on the skill of the management team!

If you miss the days they interview Daniel Yergin and a few others it's your loss.
why? what could they possibly enlighten me on?

I used to consistently beat the Lehman index when managing bond portfolios
My own portfolio consistently smokes the Dow and S&P

I don't need those buffoons even though I was on cnbc 2x

What‘s your feelings about wealth management advisors especially Fidelity? My sister in law put all their IRA into their hands and overall told them to invest it in conservative investments. I would have at least placed it with two different investment advisors, assets over $5 million. They just want to preserve the wealth for the kids. Are there better wealth management advisors? My sister also uses another one and I’m thinking about putting half of my assets under a wealth management advisor. I know they are familiar with different investment options other than stocks that might be safer.

Last edited:
why? what could they possibly enlighten me on?

I used to consistently beat the Lehman index when managing bond portfolios
My own portfolio consistently smokes the Dow and S&P

I don't need those buffoons even though I was on cnbc 2x

Goggle Daniel Yergin and find out. And Goggle "The Prize" as well.

I never buy individual stocks because I am too lazy to do the research but I used to look at the 52 week low stocks and things like dogs of the dow and wonder how you would do investing in those stocks

I have financial advisors running my fixed income, tax-free income and 2 of my retirement accounts. I can live comfortably off the income without touching the principal. I have another retirement account that I do all the trading and for which I have my high risk/high reward trades. I have some GBTC in that account and some in a non qualified TD account. They're both fee based, no trade commissions.
I subscribe to a service that has greatly formed my thinking of businesses going forward and my stock trades (America 2.0). Since following their leads, I've literally tripled the accounts I personally run. They've also turned me on to bitcoin and educated me on crypto and blockchain in general. I've learned about SPAC's on my own.
I also look weekly for executives/insiders buying or selling shares in their companies, a pretty good indicator of where a stock is heading.

Interesting stuff, especially with the 52-week low list. Do you have any experience with Morningstar Premium? I signed up a few months ago mostly for funds and ETFs info. However, they also analyze stocks and rate them from 1-5 stars:
1 = Overvalued
3 = Fair value
5 = Undervalued

And of course 2 and 4 being in the middle of those ranges. Their list of 5 star stocks with economic moats is very useful. I have learned a lot.

Their former head of research, Pat Dorsey, wrote one of those little books on investing focused on “moats.” It’s a good, concise summary. I like morningstar’s display of 10 years worth of historical spreads and ratios.. Good to see at a glance, can’t comment on their rating accuracy, but think there is merit to the qualitative assessment of sustainable advantages. I do look for their factors when assessing good businesses at fair prices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT