ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Hmm, not sure if this is good or bad?

Anyone watching ADBE? Down nicely from its high, but earnings and revenue continue to grow. Also, they seem to be one of the first movers to monetize AI add-ons to their products.
Jana took a huge position knowing the intrinsic value of the company/technology but is impatient, not wanting to wait for WOLF to get to full speed on its own vs having a major established chip maker buy them up. Quick profit for Jana. But WOLF could be worth much more five years out rather than $60/share now.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
no
cc companies still reporting record sales. we don't get out of inflationary pressure till people don't spend
Spending means higher earnings. A very good thing for stock prices. As long as productivity stays strong, inflation will be fine.

Tesla has now halved itself in nine months. I’m guessing Cathie Wood is scooping up shares all the while anyway.😂
Edit: She really is.
People who have bought these large TSLA dips in the past were handsomely rewarded.

People who have bought these large TSLA dips in the past were handsomely rewarded.
To me Tesla now has to compete against the very practical PHEV’s for many years to come and the legacy companies like Toyota have some really great offerings for those who want to dip their toes into EV’s but who may also want to have agasoline engine kick in after 40 miles or so. I just saw that Mercedes has an amazing PHEV that can last 55 miles on EV-only mode and another 625 miles on gasoline. It’s pricey but shows that maybe PHEV’s could become so advanced that they may be around for many more years (Europe so far is the only region intending to ban PHEV’s completely in 2035). And if carbon capture technology ramps up (it is included in federal “green” subsidies after all)….

Last edited:
I think some analyst calls took it down to its 52 week lows before yesterday's news on Jana. JPM neutral reduced PT from 43 to 35 and WFC reduced from overweight to equal weight PT from 55 to 30....said most of the suggestions seem like a wishlist but suggestions not to overinvest seem prudent. Take analyst calls with a grain of salt but they can move a stock. even if they are often late to the party.

GE with good earnings and raised full year forecast because of what I mentioned above...BA's problems is actually a good thing for GE. Older planes means more servicing which is where they make their money as opposed to making little to none on selling the brand new engine. I like the stock and like the stock long term and love the CEO but I think I may exit the rest of the position on this pop. If it ever fell back to 120-140 area I may loo to get back in.

KMB with good earnings and guidance raise as well. It looks like it's held support for the last month or so and retaken the 200DMA. One of the names I've liked over the years because of the somewhat better yield over other consumer staples.

GE with good earnings and raised full year forecast because of what I mentioned above...BA's problems is actually a good thing for GE. Older planes means more servicing which is where they make their money as opposed to making little to none on selling the brand new engine. I like the stock and like the stock long term and love the CEO but I think I may exit the rest of the position on this pop. If it ever fell back to 120-140 area I may loo to get back in.

KMB with good earnings and guidance raise as well. It looks like it's held support for the last month or so and retaken the 200DMA. One of the names I've liked over the years because of the somewhat better yield over other consumer staples.
Never got into GE or one of the baby GEs directly, but own a good amount of them via my funds. Got all 3 on my watchlist to buy if price gets to a nice level.

To me Tesla now has to compete against the very practical PHEV’s for many years to come and the legacy companies like Toyota have some really great offerings for those who want to dip their toes into EV’s but who may also want to have agasoline engine kick in after 40 miles or so. I just saw that Mercedes has an amazing PHEV that can last 55 miles on EV-only mode and another 625 miles on gasoline. It’s pricey but shows that maybe PHEV’s could become so advanced that they may be around for many more years (Europe so far is the only region intending to ban PHEV’s completely in 2035). And if carbon capture technology ramps up (it is included in federal “green” subsidies after all)….
Yes, the second wave of hybrids are hot right now. Much improved products.

That was the last time I bought. This thread had it going to the 80’s then. Might be a good indicator of when to buy.
Not usually easy to call bottoms or tops (short term/long term) that's why I generally wade in buying, and selling too for that matter.

A lot of bad news is priced into TSLA so a potential for a pop is possible on a shred of good news but would it last if the overall trend is still down and can a person time it right if that's the case. Stepping in ahead of earnings of any company can be volatile, particularly one like TSLA. No way to know for sure, so if you want to take a position you don't have to take a full one.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Not usually easy to call bottoms or tops (short term/long term) that's why I generally wade in buying, and selling too for that matter.

A lot of bad news is priced into TSLA so a potential for a pop is possible on a shred of good news but would it last if the overall trend is still down and can a person time it right if that's the case. Stepping in ahead of earnings of any company can be volatile, particularly one like TSLA. No way to know for sure, so if you want to take a position you don't have to take a full one.
+1
With all the bad news and then some expected, kind of wondering about a small call option play for a TSLA bounce tomorrow. Hmm.

Then again, if Elon is on the conference call, it may be another epic trainwreck.

The narrative on high interest rates and inflation is changing. Makes a lot of sense:

8/8 robotaxi

Based on the valuation, still has a lot of downside.

I think some analyst calls took it down to its 52 week lows before yesterday's news on Jana. JPM neutral reduced PT from 43 to 35 and WFC reduced from overweight to equal weight PT from 55 to 30....said most of the suggestions seem like a wishlist but suggestions not to overinvest seem prudent. Take analyst calls with a grain of salt but they can move a stock. even if they are often late to the party.
Goldman puts WOLF takeover/buyout share price at $126. Knowing the founders of Cree Research, then Cree, and now Wolfspeed, it's not about $. It's a 37-year pursuit. I suspect they'd like to see the company realize its full potential independently vs via a buyout, as the build out of the two new manufacturing facilities are just now happening. But, things happen quickly in Big Chip land.

Goldman puts WOLF takeover/buyout share price at $126. Knowing the founders of Cree Research, then Cree, and now Wolfspeed, it's not about $. It's a 37-year pursuit. I suspect they'd like to see the company realize its full potential independently vs via a buyout, as the build out of the two new manufacturing facilities are just now happening. But, things happen quickly in Big Chip land.
I’m deep in the red on WOLF so that would be a Godsend…but since the stock has already reversed today I’m guessing folks aren’t buying the story

8/8 robotaxi

Based on the valuation, still has a lot of downside.
Yea I said I'm skeptical of any significant news with regards to 8/8...Chinese see 8 as powerful, trying to curry favor and get some luck lol.

I still think there is downside too but who knows and you can still get a relief rally as well in the interim.

Hard rally from GE today and it's reached just about the upper range mentioned (150s-lows 160s). I've exited the position on this surge. I like everything about the company currently but valuation seems rich and it's been on crazy run with just minor pullbacks. I planned on selling just a 1/4 of what I had left, then sold more up to a 1/3 and now decided to fully exit....ended up being 3 tranches. I feel like this area will be hard to break through on a first attempt so ended up exiting but who knows. If it pulls back meaningfully, I may re-enter.

GEV also up nicely today too. I wanted to play the yoyo but barely got a chance lol. Exited at 138 and it pulled back to 132...wanted it in the mid to high 120s but today I guess because of GE earnings it's up at 147....oh well.

Noticed UNH is back below that low 490s level I said could be resistance. If it can't retake then I think 470s can come into play.

VZ rebounding today too after the selloff yesterday off solid earnings. It didn't reach my target so didn't buy it. Not really sure about the reason for the selloff, other rates and maybe their debt but that seems like a known thing in my mind not something new but stocks sell off on known things too I suppose lol.

I’m deep in the red on WOLF so that would be a Godsend…but since the stock has already reversed today I’m guessing folks aren’t buying the story
Maybe a good time to add? I have a small WOLF position at $25.5'ish.

Hard rally from GE today and it's reached just about the upper range mentioned (150s-lows 160s). I've exited the position on this surge. I like everything about the company currently but valuation seems rich and it's been on crazy run with just minor pullbacks. I planned on selling just a 1/4 of what I had left, then sold more up to a 1/3 and now decided to fully exit....ended up being 3 tranches. I feel like this area will be hard to break through on a first attempt so ended up exiting but who knows. If it pulls back meaningfully, I may re-enter.

GEV also up nicely today too. I wanted to play the yoyo but barely got a chance lol. Exited at 138 and it pulled back to 132...wanted it in the mid to high 120s but today I guess because of GE earnings it's up at 147....oh well.

Noticed UNH is back below that low 490s level I said could be resistance. If it can't retake then I think 470s can come into play.

VZ rebounding today too after the selloff yesterday off solid earnings. It didn't reach my target so didn't buy it. Not really sure about the reason for the selloff, other rates and maybe their debt but that seems like a known thing in my mind not something new but stocks sell off on known things too I suppose lol.
If you like GE so much, just buy and hold. Don't get too complicated.

FYI - just noticed that my $490 UNH sell order was hit. I moved it up when it hit $510'ish. Oh well, quick 10%.

No action on TSLA today. It rallied a bit, so that may have diminished the likelihood of a surprise rally.

Last edited:
If you like GE so much, just buy and hold. Don't get too complicated.
I have for quite a few years and got it when it tanked and said it would be a long slog back. It was actually kind of speculative (funny to say about GE) at the time. I’ve exited portions here and there as it has run up.

Now I think it a good time to exit completely because of the technical level and frankly the valuation. Eventually, I think it can get through this area but I don’t think right now so I’ll see if I can reacquire at lower levels. If not so be it.

I have for quite a few years and got it when it tanked and said it would be a long slog back. It was actually kind of speculative (funny to say about GE) at the time. I’ve exited portions here and there as it has run up.

Now I think it a good time to exit completely because of the technical level and frankly the valuation. Eventually, I think it can get through this area but I don’t think right now so I’ll see if I can reacquire at lower levels. If not so be it.
Makes sense. I added to my post above regarding UNH.

The narrative on high interest rates and inflation is changing. Makes a lot of sense:

This makes no sense at all. Inflation persists because of out of control deficit spending. All of the "growth" we have seen in recent years has been the result of government spending and real growth has been negative because inflation has outpaced GDP growth.

Powell will stay higher for longer and probably won't cut at all this year. Between the sharp rise in commodities and base effects in the coming months the YOY inflation numbers will start climbing again soon.

if he does cut, inflation will explode, yields on US gov't debt will rise and he won't be able to get the genie back in the bottle.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
This makes no sense at all. Inflation persists because of out of control deficit spending. All of the "growth" we have seen in recent years has been the result of government spending and real growth has been negative because inflation has outpaced GDP growth.

Powell will stay higher for longer and probably won't cut at all this year. Between the sharp rise in commodities and base effects in the coming months the YOY inflation numbers will start climbing again soon.

if he does cut, inflation will explode, yields on US gov't debt will rise and he won't be able to get the genie back in the bottle.
If a wind farm gets built with the help of tax credits it is still a real wind farm. And no, real GDP growth hasn’t been negative because that would mean we are in recession/depression. But yes, for a variety of reasons, deficits are too high.

Also….Inflation by many measures is already down to the 2 to 2 1/2% range.

Tsla numbers out. Looks like it was priced in. Up 7% after hours, clearly on news that they still hold $700M of Bitcoin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT