ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter storm for 2/12 - Big Mess of Snow/Sleet/Rain (after minor snowfall on 2/11)

Still getting sleet here, we've got 2.75 inches of combined snow and sleet.

Changed back to snow here around 1 pm - did not expect that - and it's been alternating between snow and sleet and a mix and coming down moderately. As of 2 pm, we're up to 3/4" of "new" sleet (with some snow) and the other table has 1.5" on it, as it should. Up to 28F from 27F.

Not much the last hour or so. Up to a total of 1.6" of snow/sleet from 1.5" an hour ago, but heavy precip is on our doorstep. Should still be sleet, I believe, but temps are up to 29F now and 32F temps are only about 15 miles from us now, so it's possible we'll get to 32F in the next couple of hours. It's also possible we'll have some freezing rain before then. The only saving grace there is that it wouldn't be accumulating on bare ground/pavement for the most part, so would hopefully not become a sheet of ice if it fell.

I'm in Souderton, PA (Upper Bucks/Montgomery county area) and now freezer rain as of 3:45pm

Last edited:
Should I be getting out and shoveling soon or will the warm up and rain take care of it? I’m in the Basking Ridge area.

Just a heads up. Today's 12Z global models show multiple winter weather threats on the table from the GFS, FV3, CMC, and Euro for 2/16 and 2/20 (and beyond). The 2/16 system ain't that far off, either - if tonight's models continue to show the potential for a 2-4/3-6" kind of event (which is what they show now), it'll be time for a new thread. And another winter storm looms for 2/20.
Thanks for the heads up, I will start that thread now.

Just a heads up. Today's 12Z global models show multiple winter weather threats on the table from the GFS, FV3, CMC, and Euro for 2/16 and 2/20 (and beyond). The 2/16 system ain't that far off, either - if tonight's models continue to show the potential for a 2-4/3-6" kind of event (which is what they show now), it'll be time for a new thread. And another winter storm looms for 2/20.
Of ****ing bite me (not you), I thought we be due for a mild winter but this be the third year in a row where it was going good and then toward the end it got all nasty on us, Feb-March is fast becoming the two worst months of weather in NJ, December and January have been pretty pleasant.

Reactions: RUPete
Of ****ing bite me (not you), I thought we be due for a mild winter but this be the third year in a row where it was going good and then toward the end it got all nasty on us, Feb-March is fast becoming the two worst months of weather in NJ, December and January have been pretty pleasant.
Don't worry, the weather looks to be mostly in the 40's for the next 2 weeks. If we get a little overnight snow, it will be gone by the afternoon.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Figures.

Not much the last hour or so. Up to a total of 1.6" of snow/sleet from 1.5" an hour ago, but heavy precip is on our doorstep. Should still be sleet, I believe, but temps are up to 29F now and 32F temps are only about 15 miles from us now, so it's possible we'll get to 32F in the next couple of hours. It's also possible we'll have some freezing rain before then. The only saving grace there is that it wouldn't be accumulating on bare ground/pavement for the most part, so would hopefully not become a sheet of ice if it fell.

Sleet picked up the last 20 minutes and we're now up to 1.75" of snow/sleet combined, as of 4 pm, and it's sleeting pretty heavily right now and the radar looks very juicy. Still 29F, so hoping this next hour or so of heavy precip is sleet and not freezing rain. HRRR still showing sleet for the NB/Edison area until about 6 pm or so; could have a bit of freezing rain after that for an hour or two. Kids having a blast across the street (small sledding hill) and the local roads are horrible.

Just back in from outside. About 3 inches of snow and sleet, still dry,
So snowblower worked well throwing it.
NW Essex County.

Actually, the 2" or so of sleet was ideal for the snowblower. Just enough to work without jamming up the works and a LOT easier on this old body.

The funny thing is it's still around 20-22° here, so don't see us getting rain out of this.

Sleet with some rain in Somerville...noticing the sleet is wetter

Lol ease up on the potential sunday threat ...posting 4-6 is fake news..why do that

Lol ease up on the potential sunday threat ...posting 4-6 is fake news..why do that
This thread was fake news to me. Complete bust. And told him he posted this thread a few days early and I was right again. Meanwhile it will be 50 on Thursday

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sleet picked up the last 20 minutes and we're now up to 1.75" of snow/sleet combined, as of 4 pm, and it's sleeting pretty heavily right now and the radar looks very juicy. Still 29F, so hoping this next hour or so of heavy precip is sleet and not freezing rain. HRRR still showing sleet for the NB/Edison area until about 6 pm or so; could have a bit of freezing rain after that for an hour or two. Kids having a blast across the street (small sledding hill) and the local roads are horrible.

Careful out there local folks - we now have freezing rain in Metuchen and many other locations in CNJ; it surprisingly started around 4:30 pm while I was shoveling (after we reached 1.8" of sleet/snow) with a temp of 29F. It's now up to 31F as of 5:10 pm and trees, cars, walkways that were cleared, etc., are icy. Be especially careful if you're cleared your driveway/walkway, like I did before it changed. Hopefully, this doesn't last too long.

Some major accidents out there, too - bus just overturned on the Turnpike in Woodbridge - freezing rain is some dangerous stuff and I think we'll be above 32F in the next hour, but models are showing extended freezing rain tonight north of 78 and especially north of 80.

Should I be getting out and shoveling soon or will the warm up and rain take care of it? I’m in the Basking Ridge area.
Depends how long you want to wait. It won't wash away where you are overnight, as the rain will be absorbed into the slush, but much of it will melt tomorrow during the day, as it'll be 40F and sunny. Also, if you shovel right now, like I just did, you run the risk of making your paved surfaces skating rinks when it changes to freezing rain for you, which will likely be in the next hour. The freezing rain won't matter if it falls onto slush.

Reactions: scarlet night
Dude, you are a grade-A troll.

Some people hold back...wah, wah, I don't want people to notice I'm a troll. But never you.

T2K puts 100% into the performance. The Daniel Day Lewis of weather trolls. I love it.

I didn't know you could flirt on these threads. I thought that was only for the CE boards?

You really need to read better. I said 2-4/3-6" not 4-6" and I said "potential" meaning it could happen, but might not. It's only 4 days away, so having multiple models showing a modest snowfall is worth a thread, IMO, if the models stick with this tonight (they've flirted with this date before, only to "lose" the storm, but that was 7-8 days out and we're much closer).

Depends how long you want to wait. It won't wash away where you are overnight, as the rain will be absorbed into the slush, but much of it will melt tomorrow during the day, as it'll be 40F and sunny. Also, if you shovel right now, like I just did, you run the risk of making your paved surfaces skating rinks when it changes to freezing rain for you, which will likely be in the next hour. The freezing rain won't matter if it falls onto slush.
How much will be left on roads, do you suppose, by around 4pm tomorrow in Hillsborough?

This thread was fake news to me. Complete bust. And told him he posted this thread a few days early and I was right again. Meanwhile it will be 50 on Thursday
I wouldn’t go that far. The conditions were fairly nasty central Jersey on up. Road crews did a good job on the main roads. They had to work hard today. Challenging conditions.

Sunday night could be a whopper

Careful out there local folks - we now have freezing rain in Metuchen and many other locations in CNJ; it surprisingly started around 4:30 pm while I was shoveling (after we reached 1.8" of sleet/snow) with a temp of 29F. It's now up to 31F as of 5:10 pm and trees, cars, walkways that were cleared, etc., are icy. Be especially careful if you're cleared your driveway/walkway, like I did before it changed. Hopefully, this doesn't last too long.

Some major accidents out there, too - bus just overturned on the Turnpike in Woodbridge - freezing rain is some dangerous stuff and I think we'll be above 32F in the next hour, but models are showing extended freezing rain tonight north of 78 and especially north of 80.

Warming up quickly now, as it just hit 33F around 5:50 pm, so the freezing rain risk is now over for Metuchen, but not for points N and W. Fascinating storm: clearly showed that 1.8" isn't always 1.8" - was actually about 4-4.5" of "snow equivalent" and had an impact like a 4-5" storm. Was nowhere near snowmageddon, but was certainly a close 2nd to the 11/15 storm for this winter. That one was so impactful because of the timing, starting after everyone was at work and had had lunch and the horrendously bad lowball forecasts right up until it started.

I wouldn’t go that far. The conditions were fairly nasty central Jersey on up. Road crews did a good job on the main roads. They had to work hard today. Challenging conditions.
I live in Bucks County, work in NE Philly. Wasted a complete bag of salt on my steep driveway. Didn't see a single snowflake. Rain and a short period of sleet. Forecast killed business last night and today. As I said earlier in the thread 6ABC was still hyping 1-3 of snow at 6:30am when it was very apparent that it wasn't going to even make a inch. Yes it was fake news. And it underperformed in most places.

I live in Bucks County, work in NE Philly. Wasted a complete bag of salt on my steep driveway. Didn't see a single snowflake. Rain and a short period of sleet. Forecast killed business last night and today. As I said earlier in the thread 6ABC was still hyping 1-3 of snow at 6:30am when it was very apparent that it wasn't going to even make a inch. Yes it was fake news. And it underperformed in most places.
I get that and I’m sorry business was hurt, but you still have to account for where it hit. And there is still the potential for ice accumulation north of 287, which still sucks.

Just shoveled 3-4 inches of packed snow. Fun, fun, fun!

I get that and I’m sorry business was hurt, but you still have to account for where it hit. And there is still the potential for ice accumulation north of 287, which still sucks.
I think you are missing my point. At 6:30 am 6ABC shouldn't be handing us BS to prop up their ratings. It was apparent way before than that this storm was a bust in all their viewing area. Yes the Lehigh Valley got hit but not as hard as predicted. The idea is to be accurate not scare people. Stop talking about the worst a storm will do. Talk about what is most likely.
I actually bought into the hype about freezing rain as I had an early morning. Was mislead again.

I think you are missing my point. At 6:30 am 6ABC shouldn't be handing us BS to prop up their ratings. It was apparent way before than that this storm was a bust in all their viewing area. Yes the Lehigh Valley got hit but not as hard as predicted. The idea is to be accurate not scare people. Stop talking about the worst a storm will do. Talk about what is most likely.
I actually bought into the hype about freezing rain as I had an early morning. Was mislead again.
I’m not missing your point. I think your beef is more with your local media outlets. The forecast in NJ is always challenging. When you go north of 78 the conditions can be very different. That’s a fine line.

Look at it this way, if they had downplayed a storm like this and it was as bad or worse than forecast, how many people would have gotten hurt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT