ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winter storm for 2/12 - Big Mess of Snow/Sleet/Rain (after minor snowfall on 2/11)

No, snow/sleet line has actually moved back south, under heavier precip rates. Sleet shows up really well on radar (the bright yellows) - looks to be sleet from Doylestown to Trenton, then up to just south of NB right now. It's snowing moderately in Metuchen and we have 1/4" on the ground. If we can somehow keep from changing to sleet for an hour more, we'll get an inch at this rate.

image.png.a2d81e2027ff09f35c923dcd371ac4db.png
Funny thing-woke up to rain here in Wall (right across the river from Ocean County). It is not sleeting and accumulating here. I keep updating the hourly forecast graphic from Mount Holly, and the latest update shows it raining here in my zip code. Tough storm to predict:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapCli...9&textField2=-74.0926&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=

Snowing moderate to heavy here at my office in Bridgewater. Really just kicked in during the last 15 minutes or so

No, snow/sleet line has actually moved back south, under heavier precip rates. Sleet shows up really well on radar (the bright yellows) - looks to be sleet from Doylestown to Trenton, then up to just south of NB right now. It's snowing moderately in Metuchen and we have 1/4" on the ground. If we can somehow keep from changing to sleet for an hour more, we'll get an inch at this rate.

image.png.a2d81e2027ff09f35c923dcd371ac4db.png

Absolutely pouring snow here now - just measured 1/2" of snow and it's 29F. Might actually make that 1" of snow I was hoping to get, although looks like sleet line isn't far away...

Absolutely pouring snow here now - just measured 1/2" of snow and it's 29F. Might actually make that 1" of snow I was hoping to get, although looks like sleet line isn't far away...
You know I love snow. But this is not a good time. Please make it stop.

I will have to lunch at N today, assuming they open, and enjoy the weather. If you're home, come on by and grab a bite.

Had been a thin layer of sleet with wet roads but in the past 20 minutes it started coming down heavier and coating even busy streets.

Watching it fall by the window with a coffee and my pup snuggled up on me.

Glad I got out in it when it was pouring snow, since it's now 90% sleet as of about 9:55 am (and 100% as of 10 am). We got 3/4" of snow before the change. Now let the sleetfest will begin - guessing we will get at least 1" of sleet out of this. Roads are treacherous - I can see Route 27 from my house and people are moving very slowly, as everything is covered. As I've said countless times, 1" of sleet is the same mass as roughly 3" of 10:1 snow and roads aren't going to be better with sleet, especially since sleet will melt more slowly than snow (much lower surface area to volume ratio).

Latest HRRR has me at sleet, with surface temps at or below 32F until 5 pm with another 0.3" liquid equivalent (LE) or so of sleet falling (would be ~1" sleet on top of the snow) - seems like precip forecast has really gone down, though. Changeover to rain would be around 6 pm as modeled, with a total of 1" LE for the storm, meaning about 0.5" LE as rain - if it's that late, the pm commute will be a tough one. 12Z NAM, on the other hand, also has me changing over around 5 pm, but with 0.6-0.7" total LE as frozen before then (6-7" worth of snow, as sleet mostly) and a total of 1.4" LE for the storm, so another 0.7" of plain rain after that.

The mesoscale, short-term models are showing significant freezing rain risks for much of the area (those models are best at detecting such risks). The HRRR and CMC-RDPS are both showing about 0.1" of freezing rain for the 95 corridor NE of Trenton (and NW of Philly) and are showing a lot more than that NW of there, i.e., up to 0.5", which would be horrendous if it verified. Nobody wants to see that, but folks should be aware of this risk. NAM is showing the freezing rain risk to be NW of 95, not along it, at least in NJ. Maps below.

52100115_10215598451468401_5744184094548295680_o.jpg

zr_acc.us_ne.png

52595776_10215598476149018_4840842207504105472_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be at O later, not sure if they're open. :joy::joy::joy: If not I'll try P or Q..
Well, you're certainly invited to join me at N. N is Novita, in Metuchen. A nice quiet place with great people and big windows to watch it snow (or sleet, which it's doing at the moment).

Well, you're certainly invited to join me at N. N is Novita, in Metuchen. A nice quiet place with great people and big windows to watch it snow (or sleet, which it's doing at the moment).
Sounds like a nice time. My daughter just went to her dads. I'm going to stay cozy in my town of N. and make some soup and bake cookies.

It's been snowing pretty steadily up here for a while now. Got about an inch down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT