ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wintry Pattern for 3/10 - 3/17 or so

Been snowing at light to occasionally moderate intensity here and in most locations, looking at the radar. At this intensity, will be surprised if we see much, if any accumulation on paved surfaces and there will be less accumulation even on grass with light to moderate snowfall. Need a fair amount more intensity to get snow on the roads with the indirect sunlight and temps at or above 32F in most locations, except well N/W of NYC (like where @DJ Spanky is). If we don't get that, this could be a bust.
It got an earlier jump up by Spanky and it was a little colder. I was surprised to wake up in North Plainfield at 5 a.m. and see nothing- no rain or snow. Left the house at 7 a.m. and it just started to snow.

As per SPC - this would get accumulations that were predicted and would even get some on roads, if it verifies...

C6j02YlXUAEt48d.jpg:large

Been snowing at light to occasionally moderate intensity here and in most locations, looking at the radar. At this intensity, will be surprised if we see much, if any accumulation on paved surfaces.....If we don't get that, this could be a bust.
[thumb2]

I am at 33 in Belle Mead so those to the north may be a tick colder. Snow just on grass not on pavement but now til noon will be height of storm with heaviest band and gasp maybe it sticks to the sides of the road. Never bought into the higher amounts being forecasted for this storm although those to the north will do better

Nothing sticking to my commercial lots in Somerville. Salted anyways just in case it starts coming down heavier later. Not too promising though. Coming down pretty moderate in Hillsborough now but just sticking to cars and grass. Not ebvn sticking to my patio pavers which is the first thing to get covered.

Nothing sticking to my commercial lots in Somerville. Salted anyways just in case it starts coming down heavier later. Not too promising though. Coming down pretty moderate in Hillsborough now but just sticking to cars and grass. Not ebvn sticking to my patio pavers which is the first thing to get covered.
Snow blower still in the shed .No snow on roads or driveways in East Brunswick.

heavy snows the past 90 minutes for alot of us...per radar looks like the last of the heaviest bands are in northwest NJ and moving southeast so maybe another hour of moderate to heavy before tapering off to lighter snows that will not accumulate. Grassy surfaces now probably between 1.5-2 inches here so we got pretty good snow rates the past hour and half.

yet pavements are just wet, perhaps a little sticking on edges, I hope they did not close schools in central jersey for this

So these are shots out the patio door around 9AM this morning:

MorningSnow%202017-03-10%201_zpsxqeccyai.jpg

MorningSnow%202017-03-10%202_zpsjr4z1buk.jpg

We had a little more than 3 inches down when I hit the road close to 10.

This winter has been Fing ridiculous. Yesterday I'm in short sleeves building a set of brick steps. Today I have my wood stoves going and 2.5" of snow on the ground here in Howell. With the potential for a Nor'easter next week. I mean come on winter sh*t or get off the pot already.

About 2.5" in Rahway and 3" in Metuchen (wife just measured, including sending me a pic, even) and reports of 1-3" across the area. At current rates, should easily be a 2-5" snowfall, which would meet the general NWS forecast. Could be 4" or more in some spots, given that there's already 3-5" in much of Morris/Sussex/Warren/Lehigh Valley/Poconos and the snow started there earlier. However, not much on the roads in most places, which is not a major surprise as it takes heavy snow to get road accumulations in mid-March, and it's mostly been moderate snow, with a few heavy periods. This will not be a busted forecast for the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
About 2.5" in Rahway and 3" in Metuchen (wife just measured, including sending me a pic, even) and reports of 1-3" across the area. At current rates, should easily be a 2-5" snowfall, which would meet the general NWS forecast. Could be 4" or more in some spots, given that there's already 3-5" in much of Morris/Sussex/Warren/Lehigh Valley/Poconos and the snow started there earlier. However, not much on the roads in most places, which is not a major surprise as it takes heavy snow to get road accumulations in mid-March, and it's mostly been moderate snow, with a few heavy periods. This will not be a busted forecast for the vast majority of people.
Nothing on the roads = bust

I think my farm animals would disagree with you, they're all holed up in the barn. My Great Pyrenees on the other hand, this stuff is like crack to them. The ducks also, I'm convinced those suckers feel no pain, give them water and they probably could survive in Siberia.:)

Last edited:
OK, now it's a complete white out here in Howell. Huge, I mean really huge snowflakes falling fast and furious. I can't even see the back pastures about 150 yards away. Thank God it's been so warm that nothing's sticking to the pavement. No shoveling.[thumb2]

This storm is over. Time to move on and start focusing on next Monday/Tuesday's storm.

This storm is over. Time to move on and start focusing on next Monday/Tuesday's storm.
Problem is now comes the deep freeze for the next day or so. Any melting today is going to quickly freeze tonight till Sunday.

models all over the place for Tuesday so a little doubt creeping in for the weenies as some western trends on models...which could lead to more wet than white even with a front end thump of snow. Way to far out still and no agreement and hopefully no more ridiculous weenie maps posted here

Reactions: RocktheRac
Bullshit - nobody was expecting much on the roads and the NWS forecasts made it pretty clear that there would not be much on the roads - they predict how much will accumulate and they nailed it. The only "miss" (not a bust IMO) in the forecast was the late breaking delay to the start/end of the precip, which wasn't noted until about 11 pm last night, after most were asleep - without that delay, we would have had some accumulation on untreated roads.

How is a storm a bust that was never really expected to be much of a storm anyway? Most estimates were 2-4 inches across the state. It seems that you just get off calling storms busts for some reason. To each his own I guess.

Because he's a troll - it's what he does - he can't help himself.

3.5" in Rahway and Metuchen. Will likely start compacting soon and the radar indicates accumulating snow should be over in western NJ already and in eastern NJ in the next hour or so.

Reactions: RUChoppin
For Central NJ via WeatherWorks:

This event begins as a stripe of snow in N. NJ before precip fills into our area 4-7 AM. Still thinking it begins as rain, but there will be a switch over to snow. This falls at a moderate intensity for the AM and note in the storm confidence, there is potential for higher amounts. However, this is on grassy surfaces as pavements will have difficulty accumulating due to preceding warmth and temps during snow 32-34. It's going to take a heavy intensity for the pavements to briefly cover up. After this ends late morning / midday, we have a second threat to watch for as scattered snow showers and squalls threaten 4-10 PM. This is just like last Friday and the later a snow shower falls, the better chance for pavement cover because temps fall in the evening (into the 20s).

Sounds like:
Whitebus = 1
RU#'s = 0

models all over the place for Tuesday so a little doubt creeping in for the weenies as some western trends on models...which could lead to more wet than white even with a front end thump of snow. Way to far out still and no agreement and hopefully no more ridiculous weenie maps posted here

Euro and UK show massive snowstorms - they're the two best models and the variability of the GFS/CMC are actually not unexpected. Still more likely than not that we get at least a major snowstorm (8" or more); whether or not we get an historic one (12" + is historic for mid-March) is still too early to call, but it's possible.

My scorecard shows numbers 1. white bus0. The forecast was right on the money. Tk, instead of trolling numbers, just stay off his threads, which many of us on here appreciate.
How do I get a zero?? I stated facts. At 5:30am it was 42 degrees with no precipitation. Fact! News called for it to start overnight. It didnt.

Euro and UK show massive snowstorms - they're the two best models and the variability of the GFS/CMC are actually not unexpected. Still more likely than not that we get at least a major snowstorm (8" or more); whether or not we get an historic one (12" + is historic for mid-March) is still too early to call, but it's possible.

The major storm last year was a NAM hit.

Reactions: bac2therac
SEPARATE THREAD!!!
@e5fdny - you with me?

And I fully support #'s and his forecasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisAsh
How do I get a zero?? I stated facts. At 5:30am it was 42 degrees with no precipitation. Fact! News called for it to start overnight. It didnt.
Final result was right on the money for central Jersey. I don't know what you got in Bucks County, but I assume it was similar to me near Princeton.

I'm hearing 2 feet plus. Of course it could happen but also a chance we get just a few inches. But the possibility does exist for a massive/historical/biblical snowstorm. Then again maybe nothing. Tune in on Sunday when all this nonsense on amounts will be fine tuned.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT