ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Young Star$ of MLB

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
Looking at some of the young players in the league, makes me wonder how much $$$ will be doled out over the next few years or will GM's still play hard to get when guys like Bellinger, Albies, Acuna, Alonso, McNeil, Torres, Judge, Merrifield, Devers, Tatis etc come up to free agency?
I am sure teams will try to lock a few of these guys up with extensions but there is some really good talent still under control.

The Braves signed Acuna and Albies to long term deals earlier this year, both at very team friendly terms. In particular, the Albies deal looks like a joke: seven years for 35 million. Then there are two club option years at 5 million each. He left a TON of money on the table.

Acuna's deal is eight years, 100 million guaranteed with some options in 27 and 28 that would be 17 million each.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-ROCS
Yanks don't need to worry about money, therefore the Mets need to hire the Braves CFO now.

The Braves signed Acuna and Albies to long term deals earlier this year, both at very team friendly terms. In particular, the Albies deal looks like a joke: seven years for 35 million. Then there are two club option years at 5 million each. He left a TON of money on the table.

Acuna's deal is eight years, 100 million guaranteed with some options in 27 and 28 that would be 17 million each.

Thanks- hadn't realized that...

Not for nothing but both should fire their agents. lol

Yanks don't need to worry about money, therefore the Mets need to hire the Braves CFO now.
Even the Yankees are going to have to figure things out a bit...I am sure they will try for a guy like Cole this year but then what happens when all of their young guys start approaching FA at about the same time?

The Ozzie deal actually made me kind of mad for his sake when it was announced. I mean, $5 million per year is kind of journeyman salary, isn't it? At least with Ronald, while I thought he could be great, it's still $100 million and he signed it before he'd even had a full year at the major league level. But they are both woefully underpaid compared to their performance.

Edited to add Ronald is only 21, so his deal goes through 2028 when he will be 30. He can still get another big contract assuming he stays healthy. Ozzie is 22 and his deal expires after 2027 so he could be looking at a new deal when he's 30, too.

This is a cool link, you can see the dollar value of all contracts moving forward by team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/atlanta-braves-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

On the other hand, you've got Judge at age 27 still making less than 700k this year and eligible for arbitration next season. He won't be a free agent until 2023 (eligible for arbitration the next three seasons) so he might never get a monster deal. The 3rd highest paid Yankee this season? Jacoby Ellsbury, $21.14 million. He gets that again next year, too. Wow.

I watch every Padres game on MLB Network.
IMHO Tatis might be one of the 10 best all around players in the game. In addition to what he does at the plate no one has played SS for the Padres like him since Ozzie.

The Braves have been a well run organization for years. In the coming years, the Mets have 3 bad contracts on their books with Familia, Cano and Cespedes. Next year, those three will be paid a combined $65 million.

Reactions: redking

I agree 100% on Acuna and Albies. Their agent all but sold them out for a rate that is way under the market. Acuna is already better than the $330 M man Bryce Harper but he will make a small fraction of the over-hyped Bryce for the next TEN years!

The Ozzie deal actually made me kind of mad for his sake when it was announced. I mean, $5 million per year is kind of journeyman salary, isn't it? At least with Ronald, while I thought he could be great, it's still $100 million and he signed it before he'd even had a full year at the major league level. But they are both woefully underpaid compared to their performance.

Edited to add Ronald is only 21, so his deal goes through 2028 when he will be 30. He can still get another big contract assuming he stays healthy. Ozzie is 22 and his deal expires after 2027 so he could be looking at a new deal when he's 30, too.

This is a cool link, you can see the dollar value of all contracts moving forward by team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/atlanta-braves-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

On the other hand, you've got Judge at age 27 still making less than 700k this year and eligible for arbitration next season. He won't be a free agent until 2023 (eligible for arbitration the next three seasons) so he might never get a monster deal. The 3rd highest paid Yankee this season? Jacoby Ellsbury, $21.14 million. He gets that again next year, too. Wow.
I’ll be honest with you - I’m a huge Yankee fan and as of right now Judge doesn’t get paid huge. He’s really only had one big season. He’s been injured too much, and his slumps are too prolonged. After his rookie season I thought we had our Mike Trout. Right now I’m afraid he’ll be another Giancarlo Stanton, but a better outfielder.

I’ll be honest with you - I’m a huge Yankee fan and as of right now Judge doesn’t get paid huge. He’s really only had one big season. He’s been injured too much, and his slumps are too prolonged. After his rookie season I thought we had our Mike Trout. Right now I’m afraid he’ll be another Giancarlo Stanton, but a better outfielder.
I'm not a Yankee fan but love baseball and can only hope a guy like Judge can stay healthy and have a huge career, it is good for everyone. But this is something the Yanks do have to be concerned with. Maybe lucky with the kids/backups coming in and having huge years but both Judge and Sanchez have been injury concerns, what happens with Andujar? DiDi with the injury as well.Hicks, Severino...Do these guys end up without long term issues or do injuries linger in their futures? I'm not sure if the Yankees could ever withstand a season like this again and not only excel but even survive. So, far, everything has broken right for the Yankees when it comes to surviving maybe the worst of injury circumstances I have ever seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT