ADVERTISEMENT

Politi Doubles Down on Being Debbie Downer

Like a bunch of battered wives. STOP GOING BACK. Politi is Politi. Always will be an ahole who thrives on being ‘controversial’ by thrashing RU. Probably fancies himself an edgy journalist when reality is he is nothing more than a garbage blogger who mailed away for a degree from a school that holds no classes. He is without a soul and writes nothing worth reading.

Politi (and On the Banks for that matter) completely disregards how bad it would’ve looked perception wise if we declined this and Illinois went out there and played. I can’t believe they are overlooking this.

We had to try to play. we’d be far better off failing Covid protocols as it gets closer to the event having at least tried to prepare than declining up front. Saying no would’ve sent the message that our kids had disconnected and had no interest in one more game.
No way Schiano declines. There are probably contract bonuses that give him and his staff extra money for a bowl appearance even it is "backing into a bowl" with a 2 - 7 record in the Big Ten.

WF vs an aggressive Schiano defense could be interesting.

Pitt beat WF by pressuring Hartmann - who was sacked five times and threw 4 INTs
I know the Schiano style of defense could be a nightmare for Hartman but I don't know how the personnel matches up.

Just controlling the ball doesn't work vs WF. It can take just a few seconds for them to score. They have two top WRs and not just one. Its hard for defenses to handle that for a whole game. Hartman is the key

Keep it simple and execute. Don't shoot ourselves in the foot and RU will be OK. Make the plays you can and concentrate on the guy in front of you. No need to get fancy or tricky.
That's easier said than done, especially when playing defense. Being prepared for their system is going to take a ton of work by our staff and players. It's not just line up and play man free and let's go.

Reactions: Kbee3
Line is all about getting equal $ on both sides. Its about enticing gamblers. How do we get the folks on the side less likely to bet into the mix. This line says to me that the Wake folks are the ones being enticed. That's it.
Just a number.
Nobody knows how this game will play out. If they say they do? Its a lie.
Right . And if I was a wake forest fan I would jump all over -4.5. Just think if this was the other way around , rutgers fans would jump on that spread

That's easier said than done, especially when playing defense. Being prepared for their system is going to take a ton of work by our staff and players. It's not just line up and play man free and let's go.
Too much time to prepare can be just as bad as not enough. You tend to overcomplicate things.
Free and loose with nothing to lose is a great way to play. D keeps the ball in front of them we'll b OK. No homeruns. Much harder to string singles together for a team without a strong run game.

Reactions: Scarlet83
No way Schiano declines. There are probably contract bonuses that give him and his staff extra money for a bowl appearance even it is "backing into a bowl" with a 2 - 7 record in the Big Ten.

Yeah a guy who makes millions of dollars per year is going to give up the holiday week with his family and risk getting embarrassed on National TV for an extra $50,000 that he’s not even entitled to under his contract. Respectfully, you’re a dope. Haha.

Reactions: redking
Right . And if I was a wake forest fan I would jump all over -4.5. Just think if this was the other way around , rutgers fans would jump on that spread
Agreed and that's why it's -4.5.
Not because we're better than people think.
Game is a tough call. Too much uncertainty all around. Absolutely big pressure on Wake to not choke.

I would be surprised. The only reason they hang 60-70 on us is if we score just as much.
If we don’t pressure their QB, they will go HAM on our secondary and I doubt we can keep up. That said, if we bring pressure early and force him to throw an early pick they guy has a habit of getting into his own head and folding like a cheap suit. Just worried we won’t have a solid defensive game plan in place with the limited time to prepare.

If we don’t pressure their QB, they will go HAM on our secondary and I doubt we can keep up. That said, if we bring pressure early and force him to throw an early pick they guy has a habit of getting into his own head and folding like a cheap suit. Just worried we won’t have a solid defensive game plan in place with the limited time to prepare.
Don't worry. Just relax and enjoy the game. We thought the season was over, but now we get another football game to watch and the players get another football game to play. That's all this is. Don't over think it.

To be fair, any 5-7 team getting and taking a bowl bid is going to have people watching to see if they flop. It's a chance for them to prove cynics wrong. If they don't, they have nobody to blame

I'm going to take the glass half full approach to my response. The way they ended the season, a 0-28 loss @ PSU and a 16-40 loss at home to Maryland, wasn't positive going into Spring ball. They have been given a 2nd chance to finish the season right, and gain positive momentum into the Spring and the 2022 season. The possibility of RU hanging with a 10-3 Wake Forest team for a half, 3Q, or pull off an upset playing loose and free will far outweigh an additional loss they are expected to lose on short notice, and who knows maybe a few players are given a chance to shine or blossom in this game that didn't this season or we don't expect, a few building blocks for the future. Not much difference between 5-7 or 5-8, but it would be huge to finish on a Win, 6-7.

I'm going to take the glass half full approach to my response. The way they ended the season, a 0-28 loss @ PSU and a 16-40 loss at home to Maryland, wasn't positive going into Spring ball. They have been given a 2nd chance to finish the season right, and gain positive momentum into the Spring and the 2022 season. The possibility of RU hanging with a 10-3 Wake Forest team for a half, 3Q, or pull off an upset playing loose and free will far outweigh an additional loss they are expected to lose on short notice, and who knows maybe a few players are given a chance to shine or blossom in this game that didn't this season or we don't expect, a few building blocks for the future.
NAILED IT.

If RU plays well win or lose, Politi will write that he predicted it. If RU does manage to pull out a win or close lost, it’s the whole ACC that will be embarrassed.

Yea this stuff about being lazy sitting on the couch eating chips is way overblown. They’ve had a week off. They are in peak physical condition entering the peak physical prime of their life. You can argue we didn’t actually practice thus our schemes might not be air tight but to think they aren’t physically ready is laughable.

As pointed out elsewhere our O scheme only has three plays in it anyway. And if they can't run a bubble screen by now well I don't know how that's possible.

I look at it this way.

Yes, there is a chance Rutgers gets blown out, but in that case a lot of the criticism will divert to the NCAA for not picking a team that already played in a bowl this week instead of going to the 5-7 teams that ended their seasons weeks ago,

If Rutgers is able to put up a good fight, let alone win, the payoff is huge. There are only two other bowls during the day on the 31st and they aren’t compelling matchups. The story of Rutgers putting up a fight with little preparation will get highlighted a bunch of times to one of the two biggest cfb viewing audiences of the year (the playoff semifinals are that evening). Huge positive publicity.

The potential upside far outweighs the downside.

Reactions: TM94goRU
He’s not not getting any bonus. Had to be .500 to receive one.

I mean, he's not wrong - at least with respect to the casual, bowl watching CFB fan. The comments on the Gator Bowl tweet announcing the game are clear indication of that - many, if not most, simply asked "why?".

Fact is, Rutgers football has an image problem, nationally. People don't think we're a major program.
That’s correct. And until we make a habit of showing otherwise, few besides RU fans will change their minds. And that’s okay. Success is better when earned.

This is partially why I don’t join in our threads bashing other football programs. Who are we to make fun of anybody else?

The seeds of eventually becoming respectable have been planted now. So hopefully GSII, with the school’s backing, can help us bloom.

Yea this stuff about being lazy sitting on the couch eating chips is way overblown. They’ve had a week off. They are in peak physical condition entering the peak physical prime of their life. You can argue we didn’t actually practice thus our schemes might not be air tight but to think they aren’t physically ready is laughable.
tRUth.

The problem is if we don't win there is no benefit from this trip.
Win and it's a great decision.
Lose and it's a bad decision.
Lose really bad and sustain injuries it's a really dumb decision.
Why lose and it's a bad decision? They somehow, someway keep this a game going into the 4th, people are no longer going to say Rutgers should have never been there. They'll change their tune to Rutgers is better than I thought, as everyone expects a blowout by halftime.

I also like how Penis head never mentions that if Rutgers didn't accept, Illinois would have in a heartbeat. Are they somehow, someway in a better position to play this game than us? Is Illinois closer to Jacksonville or something along those lines? Rutgers did beat them you know. Or does it simply not fit dick heads narrative.

Last edited:
To be fair, any 5-7 team getting and taking a bowl bid is going to have people watching to see if they flop. It's a chance for them to prove cynics wrong. If they don't, they have nobody to blame
Would you watch a game just to see a 5-7 team lose? I wouldn’t.

"Let's be real here: Many people are going to watch just to see if Rutgers embarrasses itself."

"If they get their doors blown off, that's what everyone was expecting (and hey, everyone will change the channel and move on."

If they "immediate fall into the punch bowl, they will have opened themselves up to ridicule."

spicoli-you-dick.gif

Glad to see Politi is still a Dickhead.

Reactions: TM94goRU
The problem is if we don't win there is no benefit from this trip.
Win and it's a great decision.
Lose and it's a bad decision.
Lose really bad and sustain injuries it's a really dumb decision.

Another benefit - we break our streak of no bowl since 2014, 2nd longest streak in the nation.
I was getting tired of hearing that stat all of the time.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Very easy to write an article whose premise is RU academics earns bowl bid, but the SL and NJ.com have been haters for literally forever. I have not read his article, but is there one source within the RU athletic community that thinks the Gator Bowl is a bad idea?

Two things I know while keeping this huge challenge in perspective.
Rutgers has played way better on the road.
Schianno knows how to prepare for bowls.
Agree but usually he knows the opponent well in advance. Same with the practicing.

To be honest , in yesterdays presser , when the young woman said” , next up Steve Politi for coach Schiano” If Greg’s look didn’t look pleased It wasn’t. He handled it as he normally does professionally and with thought. Politi is not and should not be a Rutger’s fan favorite. He has been this way for years. Did North Carolina get a bid?
mayobowl

If Wake plays our schedule. what is their record? Maybe 7 wins. They went to OT vs Syracuse, and gave up 56 to Army.
They are not Alabama, or even Mississippi.
Key is to not fall far behind, control the ball on the ground, & get some turnovers.
While I still would favor Wake to win here, limit the big play TDs by Wake & we have a shot

Why lose and it's a bad decision? They somehow, someway keep this a game going into the 4th, people are no longer going to say Rutgers should have never been there. They'll change their tune to Rutgers is better than I thought, as everyone expects a blowout by halftime.

I also like how Penis head never mentions that if Rutgers didn't accept, Illinois would have in a heartbeat. Are they somehow, someway in a better position to play this game than us? Is Illinois closer to Jacksonville or something along those lines? Rutgers did beat them you know. Or does it simply not fit dick heads narrative.
Well, and this fact pisses me off, Illinois was in the Big Ten from the beginning and has just a bad history in football as RU but I don't know why they don't get any criticism like RU. It didn't help the we have really sucked most of our time in the Big Ten. But nobody would make a big deal if they got crushed nobody would care. If Rutgers plays like the Northwestern game or Maryland we are going hear the "we don't belong". Some have posted about possible injuries. Very possible. Training in the weight room is nothing like practicing.
Agree that a close game isn't a bad decision. Never even thought about close game. Possible. I feel it's we win or get rocked. I'm voting for a win!!

I mean, he's not wrong ...
No.. he is wrong. The casual fans you mention do not matter one bit. The knowledgeable fans will know what a task this is even if this was done with proper rosters and prep.

What Politi is doing is trying to set the standard of measurement for this game before the game.

It can also be said that if we have a decent showing then it is Politi who is the laughingstock.. oh.. wait.. he has passed that threshold some time ago.

I see this as pretty much no-lose. If we get beaten badly (which I don't think we will be), we will still get credit for having the guts to play a bowl game on a week's notice. If we do OK, we will look really good. The only downside (which is uncontrollable) is that a player could badly hurt. But I don't see the risk for that as being much higher than for any game.

I think Vedral is going to start and play almost all the way. As a Texas coach once said, "you dance with who brung you." Beside, there isn't time to do anything innovative. The practices are going to consist of trying to get our players into game shape. We're going to running the same plays we've run all year, except perhaps for one or two gadget plays.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I see this as pretty much no-lose. If we get beaten badly (which I don't think we will be), we will still get credit for having the guts to play a bowl game on a week's notice. If we do OK, we will look really good. The only downside (which is uncontrollable) is that a player could badly hurt. But I don't see the risk for that as being much higher than for any game.

I think Vedral is going to start and play almost all the way. As a Texas coach once said, "you dance with who brung you." Beside, there isn't time to do anything innovative. The practices are going to consist of trying to get our players into game shape. We're going to running the same plays we've run all year, except perhaps for one or two gadget plays.
Taking guys with zero practice to full speed/full contact is a recipe for disaster for no contact injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT