ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Edsall Contract Extended

evt_DT.gif

🤣

UConn has really all but abandoned its football program, which I believe will come back to haunt them when the next round of TV contracts and conference realignments are being negotiated. With a football program that has become a dumpster fire, with no rescue in sight, who will want them? The ACC and B12, the only likely candidates who have considered UConn in the past, wouldn't want them now, since their football program has been reduced to its current low state.

I doubt that UConn will be able to recreate the magic of Big East men's bball that brought them to prominence in the first place. Several of their major rivals from that version of the BE are now gone and have been replaced by schools in the Midwest that are not their traditional rivals.

Their women's program seems to be immune to conference alignments and has already been playing its major games out of the conference. But its major rivals from the previous Big East - ND, RU, and, later on, Louisville - are now departed, so it really has no major rivals in this version of the BE. St. John's, SHU, and Villanova don't quite cut it.

No one will take that job. He actually has leverage there.
I think you are probably right. I have been following college football for a long time. I can’t remember a coach getting an extension with a 6-30 record. i think this tells you the direction of the program. Give him a little longer and if he can’t bring it around they drop football. If the one guy who was able to win as your coach can’t do it then it’s easy to explain why you are giving up. Bill Snyder saved Kansas State twice. Edsall is not Bill Snyder but 6-30 with half your wins against FCS schools and close wins at that, you are close to extinction.

Last edited:
I think you are probably right. I have been following college football for a long time. I can’t remember a coach getting an extension with a 6-30 record. i think this tells you the dir of the program. Give him a little longer and if he can’t bring it around they drop football. If the one guy who was able to win as your coach can’t do it then it’s easy to explain why you are giving up.
Shea’s record had to be about the same when he got extended

I think UCONN has nothing to lose in extending Randy's contract which is set to expire Dec. 31, 2023.

They may just be playing a waiting game to see what happens with respect to the Big 12 Conference.

The Big 12 Conference TV contract and GOR's expire in 2024. Texas TV contract with ESPN expires in 2031.

The Big 12 is the only P-5 Conference that does not have their own TV Network (Small population states without Texas).

The last time the Big 12 won an NCAA National Championship was Texas in 2005.

Two big players in the Big 12 are Texas and Oklahoma.

Just as Rutgers got instant credibility by their membership into the B1G the same could happen to UCONN with the ACC.

UCONN proximity to New York City media market would be important.

Maybe a long shot but the next 3 years will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I don't get the extension. The school sold out football for mens basketball with the BE move. The basketball program will thrive but its going to be really hard in football as an independent and no worthwhile conference is taking them as a football only member.

Maybe they expect Bball to be so good (top 10 annually) that that will get them into a P-5 conference? I wonder if BC's leverage to keep them out of the ACC remains with Swofford moving on.

I think UCONN has nothing to lose in extending Randy's contract which is set to expire Dec. 31, 2023.

They may just be playing a waiting game to see what happens with respect to the Big 12 Conference.

The Big 12 Conference TV contract and GOR's expire in 2024. Texas TV contract with ESPN expires in 2031.

The Big 12 is the only P-5 Conference that does not have their own TV Network (Small population states without Texas).

The last time the Big 12 won an NCAA National Championship was Texas in 2005.

Two big players in the Big 12 are Texas and Oklahoma.

Just as Rutgers got instant credibility by their membership into the B1G the same could happen to UCONN with the ACC.

Maybe a long shot but the next 3 years will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Not sure I understand your post. You suggest that they are playing a waiting game to see what will happen with the Big 12. Then you talk about ACC membership.

Are you suggesting that the Big 12 might poach an ACC team (Louisville?) opening up a spot for UConn? If not, then I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Reactions: mdh2003
Not sure I understand your post. You suggest that they are playing a waiting game to see what will happen with the Big 12. Then you talk about ACC membership.

Are you suggesting that the Big 12 might poach an ACC team (Louisville?) opening up a spot for UConn? If not, then I'm not sure where you're going with this.
UConn is NOT going to the b12 or the ACC...they can play whatever waiting game they want, each of those conferences has far better choices...

Reactions: sherrane

Speculation

If Conference realignment begins again, it could start with the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

Oklahoma was making some noise about the Big 12.

What will the new round of TV Contracts for the Big 12 amount to compared to the old contract.

TV Sports viewership is down.

SEC is going all in with ESPN/ABC in 2023 leaving CBS out.

Big 12 is the 1st P-5 Conference to have their GOR's expire in 2024.

No P-5 Conference Team is going to the Big 12. Look at the teams the Big 12 could have gotten if they wanted to expand to 12 members.

Could we end up with 4 (16 member) major Conferences.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Maybe it is just me, but if I were the Big 12, I would think other schools are ahead of UConn—BYU, Colorado State, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Memphis.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Speculation

If Conference realignment begins again, it could start with the Big 12 in the next 3 years.

What will the new round of TV Contracts for the Big 12 amount to compared to the old contract.

No P-5 Conference Team is going to the Big 12. Look at the teams the Big 12 could have gotten if they wanted to expand to 12 members.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Or maybe all will remain the same...14 team conferences already basically splits most conferences into 2...no need to accentuate that. The PAC is already a cluster...do they really want to make that even more obvious? Is the b12 really that much more appealing from a tv contract POV with two more teams? Is it? The Fantasy of Texas and OU to the B1G is just that. The fantasy of Texas and OU to the PAC is an even bigger fantasy. Realignment (IMO) is done for a while. Texas will do all it can retain hegemony in their little plantation and preserve an easier route to playoffs and such. They already make more than anyone, why eff with that?

Reactions: JRZEER and RURM85
I don't see the B12 expanding unless potential TV partners insist on them doing so and with carefully selected schools that bring in new major markets. I don't see UConn doing that, especially with its football program in a shambles. None of the AAC schools really move the needle in that regard either. Only BYU might be a positive addition but they require special treatment. I can't see the B12 voting in another school that will cause headaches for them. They've already got Texas! One is enough.

Does the B12 have its own BTN-type network? The ACC now does, which would make it more difficult for the B12 to poach any schools from the ACC, as had been speculated during the last round of realignment with Clemson and FSU jumping ship to what they may have seen as a more football-oriented B12.

If anything, I see the B12 being the league that would be poached if the other 4 P5 conferences decide to go to 16.

Speculation

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
All fine and Dandy (like Randy), but no way ucrap will ever sniff the P5 ever again...ever. Did I mention ever? They took their licks and learned their lesson when they went crawling back like bee-otches to the BE. They won’t stray again.

Liberty has a better chance to be P5 over those loser nutmegers.

Back to the OP - Dedsell and his school are both at the level they should be.

We had a lot of posts back in the day about how awesome he and they were. Led by their weird mod pudge and a severely mistaken, secret pound puppy - doga2. Love the silence.

Speculation

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Interesting. Let's play it out. It's 2023 and the Big 12 GOR is about to expire.

The PAC-12, desperate to revive its athletic fortunes (and its leverage with the networks) makes a strong-ass offer to poach Texas and Oklahoma. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State happily tag along. This is similar to what almost went down back in 2010. This time, maybe it does go down. If so:

The SEC moves in on the Texas leftovers. They consider Houston, but go with TCU and Baylor.

The B1G, which cares a lot about geographic integrity, satisfies its eastern wing by adding WVU. They debate about a western team, but ultimately settle on Kansas.

That leaves the ACC. They decide to join the crowd and go to 16. Iowa State and Kansas State are still out there, but the ACC (correctly IMO) have no interest in them. They look to add two teams closer to home. Cincinnati is their first choice. Could UConn get the last seat on the bus?

ALTERNATE SCENARIO: WVU decides to go ACC, which probably makes Pitt fans happy. In that case Cincy probably gets the last seat on the bus. I can't see the B1G having any interest in UConn. Under this scenario maybe the B1G takes both Kansas teams. Or maybe ND decides they're ready for fulltime conference membership, in which case the B1G may be able to poach them. They are a better geographic fit in the B1G.

None of this will probably happen, but it's fun to do worry-free speculation. Unlike our worry-filled speculation of a decade ago.

Interesting. Let's play it out. It's 2023 and the Big 12 GOR is about to expire.

The PAC-12, desperate to revive its athletic fortunes (and its leverage with the networks) makes a strong-ass offer to poach Texas and Oklahoma. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State happily tag along. This is similar to what almost went down back in 2010. This time, maybe it does go down. If so:
***LOL***
The SEC moves in on the Texas leftovers. They consider Houston, but go with TCU and Baylor.
***ABSOLUTELT NO NEED WHATSOEVER FOR THE SEC TO DO THIS...NONE***
The B1G, which cares a lot about geographic integrity, satisfies its eastern wing by adding WVU. They debate about a western team, but ultimately settle on Kansas.
***AGAIN...LOL***
That leaves the ACC. They decide to join the crowd and go to 16. Iowa State and Kansas State are still out there, but the ACC (correctly IMO) have no interest in them. They look to add two teams closer to home. Cincinnati is their first choice. Could UConn get the last seat on the bus?

ALTERNATE SCENARIO: WVU decides to go ACC, which probably makes Pitt fans happy. In that case Cincy probably gets the last seat on the bus. I can't see the B1G having any interest in UConn. Under this scenario maybe the B1G takes both Kansas teams. Or maybe ND decides they're ready for fulltime conference membership, in which case the B1G may be able to poach them. They are a better geographic fit in the B1G.

None of this will probably happen, but it's fun to do worry-free speculation. Unlike our worry-filled speculation of a decade ago.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Nobody considers UConn to be part of the NY City media market ... check out a map. Maybe Greenwich and Stamford could be, but definitely not the Hartford area. Btw, Hartford is one of the most downtrodden cities in the US, used to be known as the insurance capital of the world, but most large insurers have either moved out or downsized their presence in Hartford. Bottom line, I don't see any media market attraction associated with UConn.

At least Syracuse is in New York State, Uconn is in Snores CT. They are West Hartford's team. They are so much a part of the NYC area Bob Disco could not recruit, even being from New Jersey. The school is like the state they are named for a falling star.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

You got it my friend.

Speculation revolving around money.

Each Conference compares itself with the other conferences as to how much money they make and share.

The Big 12 probably will not be able to poach any team from another P-5 Conference because of money and stability issues.

Because the GOR's are expiring each team member is now free to explore better offers.

The 2 lynch pin teams in the Big 12 are Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm sure the B1G, ACC and Pac-12 would love to have Texas (AAU member University) because it would bring them access to the Texas market (2nd most populous state in the US). The B1G could also consider Kansas (AAU member University) to bring the B1G to a 16 member conference.

The ACC at one time Swofford was exploring the addition of Texas and Notre Dame (combination) to get the ACC to 16 teams. ACC always would be interested in that duo (ESPN/ABC would like it).

As you mentioned, the PAC-12 was ready to bring in Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to bring the Pac-12 to a 16 member conference. Maybe, now is the right time to do it to revitalize their Conference.

As a defensive straegy the SEC, could they bring in Texas and Oklahoma. A strong/powerful conference made even stronger from a marketing perspective (ESPN/ABC would like it). The SEC going to a 16 member conference.

Other combinations Texas stays but Oklahoma leaves for the SEC with Oklahoma State. How weakened is the Big 12 from a financial perspective.

What happens after that is anybodys guess/speculation (musical chairs).

As you know Maryland (founding member) left the ACC to join the B1G in the last conference shake up.

OR. Every team in the Big 12 is HAPPY (Money) with what they are receiving and the conference remains intact.

The next 3 years will be interesting to see what happens.

As for UCONN, they are just hoping when/if the dust settles they have a seat at the table (long shot). Which brings me back to the OP which was keeping Randy for another 2 years. Why not.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Nobody considers UConn to be part of the NY City media market ... check out a map. Maybe Greenwich and Stamford could be, but definitely not the Hartford area. Btw, Hartford is one of the most downtrodden cities in the US, used to be known as the insurance capital of the world, but most large insurers have either moved out or downsized their presence in Hartford. Bottom line, I don't see any media market attraction associated with UConn.

I believe the greater New York Media market includes 6 of the largest 7 cities in Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury).

The Pittsburgh Media Market includes 2 counties in West Virginia (Monogngalia and Preston which includes Morgantown and WVU). WVU is about 90 miles from Pittsburgh and Hartford is about 110 miles from New York City.

Many people travel every day to New York city from Connecticut.😊

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Yukon is over a 2-hour drive to Manhattan, it's not in the NYC metro area.

Their hoops program is going to explode and dominate the BE with Nova, but, their football program is all but finished.

I believe the greater New York Media market includes 6 of the largest 7 cities in Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury).

The Pittsburgh Media Market includes 2 counties in West Virginia (Monogngalia and Preston which includes Morgantown and WVU). WVU is about 90 miles from Pittsburgh and Hartford is about 110 miles from New York City.

Many people travel every day to New York city from Connecticut.😊

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
correct. UCONN is apart of the ny media market. simple and plain. still think no chance in all of hell they get in any p5

Reactions: Panthergrowl13

Interesting but you lost me at WVU to the B1G. Don't see the fit. ACC maybe.

Reactions: JRZEER
If you had to bet the ranch, going forward, who draws bigger crowds, Temple at The Linc or UConn at Airport Stadium ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT