ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano to BC?

Link! Link!
I don't have a link, but Martin Jarmond has officially been named the new AD. One blog already mentioned Schiano and Ryan Day as potential candidates b/c OSU connection, if Addazio falters this season. Daz probably needs 8 wins and to be much more competitive in division, or seat will get hot quickly.

Reactions: BlockR
It's been said about Schiano before, and it bears repeating. He created a culture of winning and expectations around RU football. Annual bowl game appearances and winning seasons were the Holy Grail for RU fans before Schiano. Because of him, fans now expect those things, and sometimes take them for granted.

People are mistaking will he do well at BC and will he hurt Rutgers by being hired there. I don't think he would do well there at all. However if he is hired we will basically be completely shut out of the north Jersey parochials and lose 5-10 of the NJ top 20 every year to him. I hope you like basketball because football will be a non starter here.

We don't get those at this point so you are telling me that he is going to out recruit ND Michigan Ohio State Penn State and even Stanford?

Last edited:
We don't get those at this point so you are telling me that he is going to out recruit ND Michigan Ohio State Penn State and even Stanford?
We got it last year and we will do the same this year even with the sanctions.

You’re right if you mean never won playing major college schedule (D-1A ) ,but there was a time RU FB made it’s fans proud by winning them all ( playing a D-1AA schedule)

The 1961 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their second season under head coach John F. Bateman, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 9–0 record, won the Middle Three Conference championship, outscored their opponents 246 to 102, and were ranked No. 15 in the final AP Poll

The 1976 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their fourth season under head coach Frank R. Burns, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 11–0 record while competing as an independent, outscored their opponents 287 to 81, and were ranked No. 17 in the final AP Poll.
Yes. Im fully aware of those succesful coaches and teams. They were not playing a D1 schedule and Rutgers was not committed to making Rutgers a D1 school.

Rutgers, NFL, co-defensive coordinator Ohio State, BC

Not exactly an upward career trajectory lately.

BC... no fan support... meh....I guess ok if you are a young up-and-comer planning to make a mark there solely to land a better job, or an old guy after a long career just wanting a gig to make a few bucks in a low pressure job with low expectations and ride it out until retirement.

Schiano is the only head football coach at Rutgers to not get shown the door but in fact get hired by an NFL team as their head coach.
He was the best we've ever had. The fact that some RU fans want to downplay his contribution to this program is laughable.
Remember this is the same board where a lot of guys said "meh, I would pass" on Kate Upton.

I don't have a link, but Martin Jarmond has officially been named the new AD. One blog already mentioned Schiano and Ryan Day as potential candidates b/c OSU connection, if Addazio falters this season. Daz probably needs 8 wins and to be much more competitive in division, or eseat will get hot quickly.
I was just busting chops. Honestly, I don't see Jarmond firing Addazio unless he falls off a cliff. He's won 7 games a year 3 out of 4 years he's been there. Yes, you definitely want to see upward momentum, and new AD's tend to want to put their own guys in, but it's not like he's completely failing over there. I think hoops coach Jim Christian is much more likely to be given his walking papers...

I think the point about Schiano being at RU can best be summed up by the late great Texas Tech coach Sonny Dykes: "They say you lose 10 percent of your fan base every year. And I’ve been here 11 years, so you do the math.”

I wonder if Schiano will demand a piece of the gate like he did at Rutgers. $100,000 bonus every year season tickets go over 25,000.

Remember this is the same board where a lot of guys said "meh, I would pass" on Kate Upton.
same board that said..PJ Fleck? we cant hire him! ..look at Fleck,he dumped his wife for that new girl hes marrying with Tattoos OMG we cant have that here!! then we hired a Coach on his second wife....lol.
If there was a real Poll.half to 65% of RU fans would take Schiano back right now as HC to right this wayward ship of a program....I would..

Last edited:
I wonder if Schiano will demand a piece of the gate like he did at Rutgers. $100,000 bonus every year season tickets go over 25,000.

Is your point he was a pig or just a smart business man who happens to coach football? I laugh at people in my profession who don't ask for benchmark bonuses, etc. In fact, I would question whether someone was worth any money if they didn't try to get as much as they can.

dont forget RU and Hobbs not only had a chance to rehire Schiano,Hire Fleck but also Narduzzi...who called late in Coach search but Hobbs said he had a 'verbal' agreement already with Ash..

Schiano was a very good program builder. He recruited pretty damn well considering the difficulties of recruiting to RU at the time. He didn't have serious off-field issues. He seemed pretty good at coaching defenses. He was very organized, had a plan and stuck to it. Those are his positives.

But...

He never won a championship. He never beat West Virginia. He was the king of WTF losses and relatively weak schedules. He was no game day coaching genius. He was stubborn and unforgiving w/players (e.g. his doghouse). Worst of all, he hired Flood and then left him here.

I'm grateful that he built up the program and for his efforts while here. But I don't want him back, thanks.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Schiano was a very good program builder. He recruited pretty damn well considering the difficulties of recruiting to RU at the time. He didn't have serious off-field issues. He seemed pretty good at coaching defenses. He was very organized, had a plan and stuck to it. Those are his positives.

But...

He never won a championship. He never beat West Virginia. He was the king of WTF losses and relatively weak schedules. He was no game day coaching genius. He was stubborn and unforgiving w/players (e.g. his doghouse). Worst of all, he hired Flood and then left him here.

I'm grateful that he built up the program and for his efforts while here. But I don't want him back, thanks.
no doubt Schiano would rebuild the program quickly now with B10 as his recruiting tool.So far Ash and staff has created little juice or excitement in local recruiting,press,and thats just not a reflection on win/loss record. Im of the belief that not having any local ties on the staff or a veteran recruiter on board is tough for a midwestern staff on east coast,and in NJ where you need contacts..This year things have to get going with some progress shown or...

Reactions: RUaMoose
no doubt Schiano would rebuild the program quickly now with B10 as his recruiting tool.So far Ash and staff has created little juice or excitement in local recruiting,press,and thats just not a reflection on win/loss record. Im of the belief that not having any local ties on the staff or a veteran recruiter on board is tough for a midwestern staff on east coast,and in NJ where you need contacts..This year things have to get going with some progress shown or...
I'm unconvinced Schiano would recruit particularly well in our current situation. And I'm skeptical that he could produce any better results. Again, this is the guy that never beat West Virgina. Never won a weak Big East or AAC or anything.

I saw an organizational genius and great defensive coach. I never saw a great head coach; just a competent one. We're going to have to aim a lot higher than merely competent in order to compete with the elite programs in the Big Ten.

Reactions: RUonBrain
But...

AND...

He never got a dinner.

Reactions: mildone
I'm unconvinced Schiano would recruit particularly well in our current situation. And I'm skeptical that he could produce any better results. Again, this is the guy that never beat West Virgina. Never won a weak Big East or AAC or anything.

I saw an organizational genius and great defensive coach. I never saw a great head coach; just a competent one. We're going to have to aim a lot higher than merely competent in order to compete with the elite programs in the Big Ten.
In power Five the first thing you have to establish in a program to compete is recruiting. Yes, Schiano put his three cents too much on the offense,but one would have to think hes matured from that approach and would allow and OC to run the show..name all the other NFL players RU has produced since Schiano left?..that's Zero non Schiano recruits in NFL as RU alums.

Why would he even leave Ohio State. He runs the defense and recruits 5 star players. Those freshman corners he now has are unbelievable. They won't even play this year.

Are you sure it can be done ? A coach is gonna have Rutgers recruiting successfully vs. Ohio State, Michigan, and Pedd State ?
We're gonna be in a Rose Bowl ?
You must have done too much blow tonight.

Are you sure it can be done ? A coach is gonna have Rutgers recruiting successfully vs. Ohio State, Michigan, and Pedd State ?
I'm sure it can be done, yes. But it's not going to be easy and it's not going to be quick.

I have a ton of respect for what Schiano accomplished here. But Schiano had eleven years to win a much easier conference championship and couldn't. I think he may have peaked.

We need to give Ash some more time. If Ash doesn't work out, then in a few years, we'll have lots more money to work with and we should hire a proven winner against tough competition. Schiano, no matter what anybody thinks of him, is not a proven winner against tough competition.

In power Five the first thing you have to establish in a program to compete is recruiting. Yes, Schiano put his three cents too much on the offense,but one would have to think hes matured from that approach and would allow and OC to run the show..name all the other NFL players RU has produced since Schiano left?..that's Zero non Schiano recruits in NFL as RU alums.
If Ash doesn't work out after a few more years, we should hire a proven winner against tough competition. Schiano never proved to be a consistent winner against tough competition.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Why would he even leave Ohio State. He runs the defense and recruits 5 star players. Those freshman corners he now has are unbelievable. They won't even play this year.
I think he should stick to coaching defense because I think he's probably really good at that. Maybe go do it in the NFL.

He's not going to BC. After another year at tOSU (this year), assuming he kills it with the defense, he'll either take a bigger job elsewhere, or stay in place and take over for Urban a year or two later.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
He's not going to BC. After another year at tOSU (this year), assuming he kills it with the defense, he'll either take a bigger job elsewhere, or stay in place and take over for Urban a year or two later.
I would think OSU would reach out to Tom Herman before they'd consider Schiano.

I'm with Kbee. People are fooling themselves to believe that we can compete with the top of this league. Our best case scenario is a 2006 type season once every 8-10 years and even that wasn't good enough. We're never going to a Rose Bowl. And, yes, I'm a long time season ticket holder and donate. But, I'm also a realist.

I'm with Kbee. People are fooling themselves to believe that we can compete with the top of this league. Our best case scenario is a 2006 type season once every 8-10 years and even that wasn't good enough. We're never going to a Rose Bowl. And, yes, I'm a long time season ticket holder and donate. But, I'm also a realist.
I think it's being a realist to say it will take a long time, and some good luck. But I think it's defeatist to say it will never happen.

Seems to me that if, at some point, RU makes having a very competitive football team a priority, the funding will be there. It will all depend on how much RU is willing to commit to the program, once we get a full share of the Big Ten money, either to keep a hopefully successful Ash and staff from leaving, or else to bring in a proven D1 winner.

No friggin way would I want Schiano back.

Thankful for what he did here, but after 11 years, he still hadn't won anything and his game day coaching and underachieving against teams we should have beaten had gotten old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT