ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano to BC?

Where did this Alabama guy come from? Just surprising a guy from bama would be on this board, figured maybe tennessee board.
It's not the worst thing that we have an Alabama fan on here rather than our old crustacean visitors from Cuse et al.

Reactions: RURod
Rutgers, NFL, co-defensive coordinator Ohio State, BC

Not exactly an upward career trajectory lately.

BC... no fan support... meh....I guess ok if you are a young up-and-comer planning to make a mark there solely to land a better job, or an old guy after a long career just wanting a gig to make a few bucks in a low pressure job with low expectations and ride it out until retirement.
BC lost their coach to NC State. Schiano is not going there.
AND...

He never got a dinner.

Wow! That was friggen hysterical.

I'm with Kbee. People are fooling themselves to believe that we can compete with the top of this league. Our best case scenario is a 2006 type season once every 8-10 years and even that wasn't good enough. We're never going to a Rose Bowl. And, yes, I'm a long time season ticket holder and donate. But, I'm also a realist.
We are well on our way to the National championship, but if Gary goes to BC it
all ends there, because he will take all the Jersey guys, and with his on field coaching
totally destroy all competitors. and win more national championships than Bear Bryant
and Woody Hays combined.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: drewbagel423
Cripes, now we have fans saying that we will NEVER be good with an occasional good season every decade. And this is after seeing RU announce the investment of 115 mil into athletic facilities. Hobbs is dedicated to take this to the next level guys. It may take a while but "never" is one of the most ignorant words in the dictionary.
If we happen our way to an 8-9 win season in the next couple of years, watch what happens from there.
Now, as for getting into the B1G- Bob get huge credit, Tim gets almost as much(more so for his knowledge outside of being AD) he really knew what to sell. And Greg also gets credit. If Greg didn't bring respectability and a National presence to our team, it also never would have happened. Anyone who takes any of the 3 out of the equation is wrong.
As for ever wanting Greg back(and I don't think he ever wants back)- I didn't want him back in the first place but after hearing that there is a very good chance he stumbled upon the atrocities at PSU and didn't do the right thing, that rules him out completely for me and says that if true, he is scum.

He's not going to BC. After another year at tOSU (this year), assuming he kills it with the defense, he'll either take a bigger job elsewhere, or stay in place and take over for Urban a year or two later.
Who knows, but I'd guess taking over at OSC is more likely than jumping to BCU. With head coach somewhere else in P5 more likely still.

In power Five the first thing you have to establish in a program to compete is recruiting. Yes, Schiano put his three cents too much on the offense,but one would have to think hes matured from that approach and would allow and OC to run the show..name all the other NFL players RU has produced since Schiano left?..that's Zero non Schiano recruits in NFL as RU alums.

You're correct - recruiting is one of the keys in college football. Along with player development (athletic and character) and then game day Xs and Os. But the first key is recruiting. So, here's the question - do you think Ash is doing a bad job recruiting?

I'm unconvinced Schiano would recruit particularly well in our current situation. And I'm skeptical that he could produce any better results. Again, this is the guy that never beat West Virgina. Never won a weak Big East or AAC or anything.

I saw an organizational genius and great defensive coach. I never saw a great head coach; just a competent one. We're going to have to aim a lot higher than merely competent in order to compete with the elite programs in the Big Ten.

I'm personally indifferent to Schiano coming back. He would recruit well with the B1G to sell, provided he surrounds himself with Hafley, Angelichio and Hafley types again. If only he didnt meddle in the offense and left it completely to a competent OC, sky would have been the limit for him. Greg + Fridge for example would have done some damage I think. Who know if he's changed. If he goes to BC I guess we'll find out.

the amount of hate for Schiano on this board is laughable...this coming from someone who was very critical of his time here but I am still scratching my head about how everyone turned on him, either some were lying out of their asses and just being shills or he must have slept with your wives.

when Flood got canned, I wouldnt have minded that Schiano was the one hired...there I said it.

the amount of hate for Schiano on this board is laughable...this coming from someone who was very critical of his time here but I am still scratching my head about how everyone turned on him, either some were lying out of their asses and just being shills or he must have slept with your wives.

when Flood got canned, I wouldnt have minded that Schiano was the one hired...there I said it.
me also....right now the program does not seem like its headed with steam in any direction,kind of in same spot as when Elmer Flood left..

Cripes, now we have fans saying that we will NEVER be good with an occasional good season every decade. And this is after seeing RU announce the investment of 115 mil into athletic facilities. Hobbs is dedicated to take this to the next level guys. It may take a while but "never" is one of the most ignorant words in the dictionary."

Indiana hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in 50 years. Purdue has gone once in 50 years and Illinois has been there once in the last 33 years. Sure, you can take the word "never" literally or you could take it practically. I hope we get there one day but I'm not fooling myself.

1. Just hauled in our best recruiting class in years after being in a huge tailspin.
2. Donations are way up.
3. New weight room due to donations that came in as a result of hiring Chris Ash.
4. New practice fields under construction.
5. Hire one of the best turnaround coaches in college football who was head coach at a B1G team for 4-5 years as our OC.

yet, no steam in any direction, in the same spot as when Flood left. OK. Got it.

1. Just hauled in our best recruiting class in years after being in a huge tailspin.
2. Donations are way up.
3. New weight room due to donations that came in as a result of hiring Chris Ash.
5. Hire one of the best turnaround coaches in college football who was head coach at a B1G team for 4-5 years as our OC.

yet, no steam in any direction, in the same spot as when Flood left. OK. Got it.
^^^What he said^^^

Reactions: Knight Shift
Boston Globe
Boston College hires Martin Jarmond as new athletic director
Seems they could have had Seton Hall's Lyons.
I believe Lyons would've jumped if offered. He's a New England guy with hockey in his veins. I'm glad to keep him at the Hall.

As for Addazio, he's likely heading into his final year at BC. He can't coach or recruit, and he's not exactly Mr. Likable. He was about to be fired at Temple if BC didn't inexplicably and thankfully take them off the hook (think Bob Knight without the championships to lean on...). Assuming Jarmond has picked up anything from a well-run P5 athletics department, he won't be satisfied to have that mamaluke be the face of his football program for long.

I believe Lyons would've jumped if offered. He's a New England guy with hockey in his veins. I'm glad to keep him at the Hall.

As for Addazio, he's likely heading into his final year at BC. He can't coach or recruit, and he's not exactly Mr. Likable. He was about to be fired at Temple if BC didn't inexplicably and thankfully take them off the hook (think Bob Knight without the championships to lean on...). Assuming Jarmond has picked up anything from a well-run P5 athletics department, he won't be satisfied to have that mamaluke be the face of his football program for long.
Lyons was a good candidate. He would have had a positive impact on BC basketball, but football is the key in college sports and it needs as much attention as basketball. Jarmond is in a pretty good spot. Major facilities upgrades are finally approved and in motion. Other sports are in good shape and should improve with upgrades.

2. Donations are way up.

It's the narrative that certain fans keep repeating. They just simply hate Ash.

The one I don't understand is recruiting. Last year's class was pretty darn good. But they poopoo it. This year, recruiting is different because many NJ recruits 1) wants to leave the state, 2) were affected a little too much by the wins and losses last year and 3) quite frankly aren't being heavily pursued by the staff. Not to mention it will be a small class. So, it's perfect storm.

Nevertheless, I think recruiting will be fine. We could get some good news as early as this weekend. My guess is we will get many of our recruits from outside of NJ. Won't stop the haters though.

The one I don't understand is recruiting. Last year's class was pretty darn good. But they poopoo it. This year, recruiting is different because many NJ recruits 1) wants to leave the state, 2) were affected a little too much by the wins and losses last year and 3) quite frankly aren't being heavily pursued by the staff. Not to mention it will be a small class. So, it's perfect storm.

Nevertheless, I think recruiting will be fine. We could get some good news as early as this weekend. My guess is we will get many of our recruits from outside of NJ. Won't stop the haters though.
said poster gets upset when he gets called out, but has nothing to answer with except vapid statements about "no steam" and "not going in any direction." Don't know what some folks expect after a 2-10 season-- 11 4 star commits in April? We are going to be on the Wisconsin or Minnesota trajectory- classes full of solid 3* recruits, and ranked in the 40's or 50's until we can show on the field that we can compete head to head and beat the PSUs, MSUs, Michigans and Ohio States. I am fine with that.

bac- when do some of you ever get it through your thick heads that EVERYONE loves and respects what Schiano did here for the program! EVERYONE!!!!! There is very little "hate" for him.
There are a lot of opinions on if he was a good or bad HC and that is a fair argument and regardless of what side anyone falls on, they still love what Greg did for the program. There are quite a few that talk about his ego and control. They talk negative about how he tried to control everything including the offense. There are a few that will tell you through direct and personal contact with the man that either he could charm them like no other and also come off very genuine and make a person always feel like they were his most important thought at that moment but just as many will tell you that he was an asshole. Both would be right. Arguments about gameday coaching and if he was or was not a good recruiter.
I don't understand how people having these varying opinions takes away from EVERYONE appreciating what he did for the program.

Reactions: mildone
bac- when do some of you ever get it through your thick heads that EVERYONE loves and respects what Schiano did here for the program! EVERYONE!!!!! There is very little "hate" for him.
There are a lot of opinions on if he was a good or bad HC and that is a fair argument and regardless of what side anyone falls on, they still love what Greg did for the program. There are quite a few that talk about his ego and control. They talk negative about how he tried to control everything including the offense. There are a few that will tell you through direct and personal contact with the man that either he could charm them like no other and also come off very genuine and make a person always feel like they were his most important thought at that moment but just as many will tell you that he was an asshole. Both would be right. Arguments about gameday coaching and if he was or was not a good recruiter.
I don't understand how people having these varying opinions takes away from EVERYONE appreciating what he did for the program.
Exactly.

I don't actually love any coach. I save my love for hookers. But I had and still have enormous respect for what Schiano did for the RU program.

But one can have respect without becoming a Paterno-esque sycophant. I hardly think it's unfair to or hating of Schiano to consider that in his eleven years, he couldn't consistently win big games or get a Big East championship. And I don't think it's hating to say that I'd prefer to go with an experienced and demonstrated winning head coach, should Ash turn out not to be that guy.

I far from hate Ash, but I get it.

- The 'best recruiting class in years' was 43rd. That is the best in years, but it is also likely not the sort of class that gets us where we need to go. It's a start.
- Recruiting has slowed considerably since the results on the field came in last year. It's early, but it is not looking likely that we match or improve on last year's class.
- He made an awful OC hire

I see lots of things he does well, he's organized, he's hard working, he is obviously a skilled DC...

Still, it's easy enough to see why some people might be down on Ash for reasons other than they hate him. There are signs of progress, but they aren't exactly big neon signs, and they could easily be overwhelmed by another bad year on the field.

Reactions: bac2therac
Exactly.

I don't actually love any coach. I save my love for hookers. But I had and still have enormous respect for what Schiano did for the RU program.

But one can have respect without becoming a Paterno-esque sycophant. I hardly think it's unfair to or hating of Schiano to consider that in his eleven years, he couldn't consistently win big games or get a Big East championship. And I don't think it's hating to say that I'd prefer to go with an experienced and demonstrated winning head coach, should Ash turn out not to be that guy.
Thank you for not using "hating on" in your post. And I agree.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
My opinion:
Schiano would have been a good hire from a gaining back respect and confidence in the way the RU FB program was going to move on from the way Flood ran the program and compete for Jersey talent along with a Florida recruiting being added to that.
But for Greg making RU into one of the top BIG programs, I have my doubts because
he couldn't reach the next level after he made RU FB into a respectable program , but no good enough ( except for one year) that was a BCS Bowl contender after the season was over. In all of Schiano's years as the RU HC,not one BE title nor a BCS Bowl appearance.

Greg proved he could build a program ,but fail to prove he could make it good enough to be considered one of the better ones. RU was just below that under Greg and he never was able to make the RU FB program more than one that might be a top program, but never reached its potential.
I thank Greg Schiano for all he did to make RU FB a respectable program, but I don't think he earned another shot as the RU HC because he never could make RU FB more than a respectable program in all the time he was the HC.

It's time to move on and give Ash a chance to do better than Greg had done, or give him the boot if Ash can't turn Rutgers around after being given 4 years to
fix the damage Flood left .
Schiano gave RU FB fans expectations of greatness, from none at all.
Greg never fulfilled those expectations, now it's Ash's turn to make what we thought Schiano would bring and if Chris doesn't do that in a reasonable amount of time, someone else should be hired to try.
Reaching for the stars s what RU FB should do, not be satisfied with just standing on the ground without falling.

- The 'best recruiting class in years' was 43rd. That is the best in years, but it is also likely not the sort of class that gets us where we need to go. It's a start.
- Recruiting has slowed considerably since the results on the field came in last year. It's early, but it is not looking likely that we match or improve on last year's class.

I see lots of things he does well, he's organized, he's hard working, he is obviously a skilled DC...

Still, it's easy enough to see why some people might be down on Ash for reasons other than they hate him. There are signs of progress, but they aren't exactly big neon signs, and they could easily be overwhelmed by another bad year on the field.

That's fair. I just mentioned the recruiting reference because that's easy to shoot down. There is no disputing that Ash's first year recruiting was better than any of Flood's and is easily comparable to Schiano's best recruiting years. So, I don't get this narrative that Ash can't recruit. Now has it slowed down? Sure, but as I explained there are reasons for that - which I believe are temporary setbacks. This year's recruiting I will predict will be opposite of last years in the sense that last year started out well but struggled at the end. This year, we start slow but then finish strong. Time will tell.

As far as criticism of Ash, the criticism of the young OC hire is fair. The thing though is, if the offense improves, will people give Ash credit for quickly correcting the situation? On the flip side, if we don't do well, will people finally acknowledge that perhaps the talent factor (bare cup board and all) is very real and will take time to correct?

Year 1 was about building a new culture, a new way doing things. Year 2 will have more of an emphasis on winning. I personally think people will be surprised this year. We'll see.

said poster gets upset when he gets called out, but has nothing to answer with except vapid statements about "no steam" and "not going in any direction." Don't know what some folks expect after a 2-10 season-- 11 4 star commits in April? We are going to be on the Wisconsin or Minnesota trajectory- classes full of solid 3* recruits, and ranked in the 40's or 50's until we can show on the field that we can compete head to head and beat the PSUs, MSUs, Michigans and Ohio States. I am fine with that.

As you mentioned classes of solid 3*s with a few 4s will compete in this league. No doubt. If I may also add, development will have a lot to do with it as well. Already, the defensive players are developing nicely - DBU returning to RU is not a fantasy, these kids will be much improved. I also think the LB play will be much improved which is the lynch pin to Ash's defense.

Injuries and depth could easily replicate last year's results but for now, I am excited to see how this season plays out.

how is he organized? we had plays come in so late on D last year that players were looking at the sidelines for the call as the ball was being snapped.

team look unprepared in numerous games, on D no less

not trying to be a dik just asking

how is he organized? we had plays come in so late on D last year that players were looking at the sidelines for the call as the ball was being snapped.

team look unprepared in numerous games, on D no less

not trying to be a dik just asking

In game stuff I can chalk up to a very young staff. On being organized, it is a universal observation from people who have worked with him. It was apparent in his interview, which Hobbs said the the most impressive he ever had, with detailed plans and steps to get where he needed to go. Apparently the practices are scripted, swift and well organized and everything the team does, every drill, everything outside of practice is designed with a specific goal in mind.

In game stuff I can chalk up to a very young staff. On being organized, it is a universal observation from people who have worked with him. It was apparent in his interview, which Hobbs said the the most impressive he ever had, with detailed plans and steps to get where he needed to go. Apparently the practices are scripted, swift and well organized and everything the team does, every drill, everything outside of practice is designed with a specific goal in mind.
gotcha, thanks for the clarification

Concept of GS in Boston is laughable. He will have much better offers than to go talent-poor New England and run a program in a city that last cared about college football for 6 or 7 weeks when Flutie was a senior.

Reactions: RURod
People are mistaking will he do well at BC and will he hurt Rutgers by being hired there. I don't think he would do well there at all. However if he is hired we will basically be completely shut out of the north Jersey parochials and lose 5-10 of the NJ top 20 every year to him. I hope you like basketball because football will be a non starter here.
If he's at BC and getting 5-10 of the NJ top 20 every year, he would win. A lot.

no doubt Schiano would rebuild the program quickly now with B10 as his recruiting tool.So far Ash and staff has created little juice or excitement in local recruiting,press,and thats just not a reflection on win/loss record. Im of the belief that not having any local ties on the staff or a veteran recruiter on board is tough for a midwestern staff on east coast,and in NJ where you need contacts..This year things have to get going with some progress shown or...
Agree GS would rebuild program quickly now. You stating CA and staff has created little juice or excitement etc is wrong. Go back and look at GS recruiting in his first couple of years and you could have said same thing about him as your saying about CA. We can now recruit Midwest, east, and south where we had no shot when GS was here to me that is juice for recruiting. CA needs his 4 years to prove if he is a good recruiter and coach. Putting label on him at this point as not creating juice etc is premature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT