ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament Thread: NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 6, Saturday 8pm, FINALS W SURIANO V LEE !

Snyder giving up about 60 pounds. Coon is a monster.

Final Standings:

01 Penn St 141.5
02 Ohio St 134.5
03 Iowa 97.0
04 Michigan 80.0
04 North Carolina St 80.0
06 Missouri 61.5
07 Cornell 48.0
08 Virginia Tech 47.5
09 Nebraska 47.0
10 Arizona St 43.0
11 RUTGERS 42.5
12 South Dakota St 42.0
13 Illinois 37.5
13 Oklahoma St 37.5
15 Lehigh 36.5
16 Lock Haven 35.0
17 Minnesota 27.5
17 Wisconsin 27.5
17 Wyoming 27.5
20 North Carolina 27.0

Great some school from Cow Dung, USA can get their 1st champ ever. I'm quite bitter right now if you can't tell. I'm telling you those asshat's from psu come on here I might not be around for a while. Because I'm getting banned.
Don't worry, they'll be banned first.

Reactions: rondi and koleszar
Might be the truth but I didn't see any of the other psu guys or other wrestlers acting ungracious like that. Boasting about a move a 6th grader could pull and your opponent fell for it is not gracious. It's demeaning. Telling everyone how great you feel you are isn't gracious, it's being pompous.

Truth or not his act was not that of a gracious winner. I have no idea what backing it up has to do with being a gracious winner and why you even brought that into the conversation. Is that your philosophy on life, as long as you can back it up you can act like an ass. What are you 10 yrs. old with that philosophy?
He said he been doing that move since sixth grade. Not that a sixth grader could do it. He was confident in his ability. Like I said I think he needs to dial it back a bit but let’s be real. He just went through and emotional event and had a microphone put in his face. He let his emotions get the best of him. It happens. If you put in the hours he has and just won a national title and a team title you might also be a little fired up.

Wrestling is full of intense personalities. Have you seen some of the crap Ritchie Lewis has said on Twitter? If your skin is that thin that your are bothered by a over excited kid then perhaps you are watching the wrong sport.

He said he been doing that move since sixth grade. Not that a sixth grader could do it. He was confident in his ability. Like I said I think he needs to dial it back a bit but let’s be real. He just went through and emotional event and had a microphone put in his face. He let his emotions get the best of him. It happens. If you put in the hours he has and just won a national title and a team title you might also be a little fired up.

Wrestling is full of intense personalities. Have you seen some of the crap Ritchie Lewis has said on Twitter? If your skin is that thin that your are bothered by a over excited kid then perhaps you are watching the wrong sport.
I saw not a single wrestler act like he just did. Most were gracious to their opponents and for the ability to win a national title even the other psu winners. Every other wrestler just went through an emotional event yet were able to compose themselves during their interview. What did they not put in hours and win a national title?

Are you now trying to attack me personally, with the "if your skin is that thin" line? That once again is the mindset of a 10 year old. Which I am seriously starting to suspect is either your age or mental capacity.

I saw not a single wrestler act like he just did. Most were gracious to their opponents and for the ability to win a national title even the other psu winners. Every other wrestler just went through an emotional event yet were able to compose themselves during their interview. What did they not put in hours and win a national title?

Are you now trying to attack me personally, with the "if your skin is that thin" line? That once again is the mindset of a 10 year old. Which I am seriously starting to suspect is either your age or mental capacity.
Not one of the other wrestlers had just clinched their team national championship. If you think that interview defines Bo, you don't know Bo.

Suriano uniform was so nice. Time for Goodale to go to admin.....and let donny run this. Get Dubuque from Princeton and Hahn from Cornell. Next step is needed. Awesome tournament.

Suriano uniform was so nice. Time for Goodale to go to admin.....and let donny run this. Get Dubuque from Princeton and Hahn from Cornell. Next step is needed. Awesome tournament.
Princeton and Cornell have multimillion dollar wrestling foundations that fund assistant coaches in perpetuity. We just can't fund it.
IMO

Coach Goodale is a young guy, who has taken this program from nowhere to now #11 team in the country. He'll be the Head Coach as long as he wants. And it was his vision that brought Coach Pritzlaff to Piscataway. Coach Pritzlaff will have many good options, no doubt (Wisconsin?). He is a young man as well. Together they can make RU one of the top places to wrestle in College, it's close to that already. Whatever happens, the program is on very firm footing, with a new practice facility coming soon, an AD who supports the program, a fan base that packs the RAC, and a state that produces an abundance of quality High School wrestlers.

The future is bright !

Coach Goodale is a young guy, who has taken this program from nowhere to now #11 team in the country. He'll be the Head Coach as long as he wants. And it was his vision that brought Coach Pritzlaff to Piscataway. Coach Pritzlaff will have many good options, no doubt (Wisconsin?). He is a young man as well. Together they can make RU one of the top places to wrestle in College, it's close to that already. Whatever happens, the program is on very firm footing, with a new practice facility coming soon, an AD who supports the program, a fan base that packs the RAC, and a state that produces an abundance of quality High School wrestlers.

The future is bright !

The future is bright !

Agree with all that. That said, it seems that for us to take the next step up and compete with the big boys more closely, we need some sort of sugar daddy ($$$).

I am not saying we will not continue our upward trajectory. I believe we will. Just saying the "curve" will be much more linear without additional major infusion of dollars. The guys ahead of us are in another league support wise as noted above.

And to be clear I am thrilled with where we are as a program. Not lamenting it at all. Just talking about the future and potential.

Reactions: Abro1975
Bo Nickal is the corniest person I’ve ever seen. That was such a whack interview and I honestly am starting to think the PSU wrestling team is a cult. Their answers are all worded similar. Secrecy. You can tell during interviews it’s canned responses and when they are about to go off script they catch themselves.

Thank God Mark Hall lost. Mark Halls biggest fan is Mark Hall.... for all of his look at me antics you’d think he’d Have thrown a parade for his finish of second. All we would have heard if he won is “I clinched the team title. I am a sophomore wrestling men” ... as if he can’t rent a car at the lowest price. Smh.

Agree with all that. That said, it seems that for us to take the next step up and compete with the big boys more closely, we need some sort of sugar daddy ($$$).

I am not saying we will not continue our upward trajectory. I believe we will. Just saying the "curve" will be much more linear without additional major infusion of dollars. The guys ahead of us are in another league support wise as noted above.

And to be clear I am thrilled with where we are as a program. Not lamenting it at all. Just talking about the future and potential.

Just recently we've had some serious big money pledges (Some not made public yet). The wheels are continuously turning in the right direction. Yes, there will have to be some adjustments and additions to the program in order for us to take another step forward , but for right now, right on schedule.

The Goodale thing.. whats he going to say to a top recruit, stick with me Ill make you a champ?

Now compare to what Cael, Brands et al can say about knowing how to get there, from 1st hand experience and the success of their programs

Kids look up to champs... Donny is one guy that mat make a difference, more so as HC.

GIve Goodale lots of credit, he's made Rutgers relevant but if youre talking about getting to a level like PSU or Iowa or tOSU, I just dont see it happening without a top notch, champion HC... Donny, Jordan B etc ets jmho

Reactions: obrats
Just recently we've had some serious big money pledges (Some not made public yet). The wheels are continuously turning in the right direction. Yes, there will have to be some adjustments and additions to the program in order for us to take another step forward , but for right now, right on schedule.
Are you talking to the Scarlet Knights Wrestling Club or to the RFund? If your talking SKWC that's terrific it's where we are sorely lacking in funds to bring additional resident athletes in to train with the guys. If your talking RFund that's for all sports and not specific to wrestling. While outstanding, once the practice facility is completed we will be close to being on par with other B1G schools in this respective sport.

However our funds will still be sorely lacking in the SKWC. This is where RU can really advance the sport to another level. This is funded outside of Rutgers fiscal constraints and relies on donations. my wife and I found the difference out two years ago. We have decided our money would be best spent in this endeavor, as it provides a clear linear path to success. Get more and better resident athletes get better recruits. This is how the big boys do what they're doing.

Last edited:
When Bo Nickal was speaking, I thought he was talking to Nick Suriano.
I may have been reading too much into that, but that is how i took it.
If you want to win big matches and national Championships, you wrestle at PSU

Reactions: mandfense

I think hoping for a Sugar Daddy to fund the program is a little like hoping to win the lottery. We are different from Princeton and Cornell in that our fan base is quantum levels larger and local. We need to leverage our size with smaller/ticket donations too make our overall development pot grow. The fan experience at our home matches is unequaled outside of maybe four programs. Putting a small seat licence fee along with smart improvements to the experience might just do it. I think we need at 250K just maintain our commitments to the RTC. If we could ever get to 500K annually we could build an endowment that would let us compete with the deep pocket schools.
IMO

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Bo Nickal is the corniest person I’ve ever seen. That was such a whack interview and I honestly am starting to think the PSU wrestling team is a cult. Their answers are all worded similar. Secrecy. You can tell during interviews it’s canned responses and when they are about to go off script they catch themselves.

Thank God Mark Hall lost. Mark Halls biggest fan is Mark Hall.... for all of his look at me antics you’d think he’d Have thrown a parade for his finish of second. All we would have heard if he won is “I clinched the team title. I am a sophomore wrestling men” ... as if he can’t rent a car at the lowest price. Smh.

Cool story bro. Why don't you post it on our site? Since you seem to enjoy posting over there from time to time, I'm sure our fans would love to know how you really feel about the program.

Reactions: JBott

Guys win championships from all over the place. Arizona state, South Dakota...

We just have to keep moving in the right direction. We've only been at the big boy table for a short time -- we are now at a point where every year we are threatening to have multiple all-Americans. That's excellent

That was the first thing I thought of as well, but who knows.

Reactions: mandfense

After Suriano lost, we needed Hall to win for us to finish in the top 10--Hall's loss to an Arizona State wrestler enabled Arizona State to jump us, pushing us to #11. As for PSU's wrestlers' responses, they seem like decent guys (especially Nolf and Retherford). If there are talking points that they are schooled on ahead of time, maybe that's the sign of a cohesive unit and good coaching. Perhaps their coach had the guys prepare for the moments that a microphone would be shoved in their faces right after an intense (championship) match, and preparation and program promotion was in order. Maybe the wrestlers themselves came up with how they wanted to represent themselves if they won. I envy the unity that I see in other schools and programs, starting with their state governments and filtering down to the university administrators, coaches, and fanbase. It can be taken too far, but when kept in balance it's a great thing. Rutgers is still a fragmented organization, and I look forward to the pieces coming together to get us to a place where there is multifaceted, multi-level, cohesive support for the athletics programs and pride in the school.

This is coming from someone who dislikes PSU, but by and large their wrestlers seem like good guys. Nickal went off the reservation, but the natty rested in his hands--if he lost, tOSU was probably winning the title because of Snyder. If he won, which he did, he made Snyder's match irrelevant. I give him a pass.

Wng..how is VanBrill doing since his loss? Had to be heartbreaking for the kid. Had the match in the bag and had a brain fart/nerves? He just had to run around mat and circle. Couldn’t believe it.

Feel bad for him and hope he comes back stronger for it

After Suriano lost, we needed Hall to win for us to finish in the top 10--Hall's loss to an Arizona State wrestler enabled Arizona State to jump us, pushing us to #11. As for PSU's wrestlers' responses, they seem like decent guys (especially Nolf and Retherford). If there are talking points that they are schooled on ahead of time, maybe that's the sign of a cohesive unit and good coaching. Perhaps their coach had the guys prepare for the moments that a microphone would be shoved in their faces right after an intense (championship) match, and preparation and program promotion was in order. Maybe the wrestlers themselves came up with how they wanted to represent themselves if they won. I envy the unity that I see in other schools and programs, starting with their state governments and filtering down to the university administrators, coaches, and fanbase. It can be taken too far, but when kept in balance it's a great thing. Rutgers is still a fragmented organization, and I look forward to the pieces coming together to get us to a place where there is multifaceted, multi-level, cohesive support for the athletics programs and pride in the school.

This is coming from someone who dislikes PSU, but by and large their wrestlers seem like good guys. Nickal went off the reservation, but the natty rested in his hands--if he lost, tOSU was probably winning the title because of Snyder. If he won, which he did, he made Snyder's match irrelevant. I give him a pass.

well said...nobody hates PSU more than me. but I didnt have a problem with it.

I came away amazed by how cool, calm and composed the PSU wrestlers were. I also liked how they didnt seem to have a speck of fear in how they approached things. we've all seen really good teams, individuals, performances across numerous sports...and this is not how all top seed/ranked people behave. but the PSU wrestlers all seemed to exude this level of belief and confidence. almost like the UCONN women.

I am sure Sanderson is a big factor there. I tip my hat to them.

Funny you asked me about JVB. I just had a long text conversation with him. He is devastated as you can imagine. With that clock fiasco, he just lost focus and kind of went blank. He knows it will get better as time goes on but he is one hurting puppy. I spent time with him st last night’s social as well. Told him to focus on what he achieved out there like reversing a 16-4 loss to a 10-7 win. That is all good but the pain is still fresh and raw.

That’s what I thought too ...total douchebag in my book

Funny you asked me about JVB. I just had a long text conversation with him. He is devastated as you can imagine. With that clock fiasco, he just lost focus and kind of went blank. He knows it will get better as time goes on but he is one hurting puppy. I spent time with him st last night’s social as well. Told him to focus on what he achieved out there like reversing a 16-4 loss to a 10-7 win. That is all good but the pain is still fresh and raw.

I feel so bad for him.

several us discussed on fri night how he should have just 'run away' (love @koleszar 's Monty Python reference), but it was so obvious that the clock situation just really effed things up.

of course we all can say he (and the coaches) should have kept focus, but even watching, I was so confused as to what the hell was happening. it's just a shame.

hopefully he finds the positive lining (as you point out above) and grows from this. would have really been amazing had he won.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
I thought it was a shot at OSU and their head coach more than anything.
giphy.gif

Cool story bro. Why don't you post it on our site? Since you seem to enjoy posting over there from time to time, I'm sure our fans would love to know how you really feel about the program.

I used to enjoy the BWI site but it’s a giant circle jerk. Haven’t posted there in a while.

Which part is controversial? That mark halls biggest fan is mark hall? Or that PSU wrestling is become the same as the patriots when it comes to culture?

Yes, PSU wrestles well.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Chalk the interview to a couple of things. Adrenaline of the moment but he obviously had a rehearsed message that he was practicing in the mirror and attempted to deliver it. If I’m remembering right he gave all the glory to god last year but looks like he can handle on his own this time.

And we are forgetting the obvious. If it was the same ref who called the Marinelli pin match, we are talking tOSU title. Nickal was flat on his back for the same amount of time as Marinelli.

ADVERTISEMENT