ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA 2023 season

6/29
Well the Liberty just got *itch slapped by Vegas. Never cared much for Coach Brondello, and she got schooled by Becky Hammon tonight. The whole team was off. Why she keeps bringing Epiphanny back just to sit on the bench I don't understand. Finally put her in at garbage time, and she scored 8 pts in 7 minutes.

Whoa, James Wade has been hired as a Toronto Raptors assistant and has stepped down as the Chicago Sky's GM and head coach, the WNBA team announced Saturday. Emre Vatansever has been named interim general manager and head coach. In the middle of the season to boot. Shitty move by him.

Whoa, James Wade has been hired as a Toronto Raptors assistant and has stepped down as the Chicago Sky's GM and head coach, the WNBA team announced Saturday. Emre Vatansever has been named interim general manager and head coach. In the middle of the season to boot. Shitty move by him.
I'm not particularly upset with Wade, per se. And this "is" when it would happen, the NBA off-season.

What is upsetting is that an assistant position in the NBA is more attractive than being a head coach and general manager in the WNBA. Not a good look for the "W". You may remember that Bill Laimbeer at one point did something similar (I think in the WNBA offseason).

Probably not the best idea to have the head coach also be the GM... Wade also left the Sky devoid of first round picks in the next few years, and Kahleah is free to leave at the end of this season if she wants to... Maybe it's just me, but the future doesn't look too bright for the Sky. Maybe new coach Vatansever will be able to make the current roster highly successful, but he probably has a tough task ahead of him.

Steaming a little bit over Betnijah in regard to the all-star game. She is the ultimate team player....and an ABSOLUTE 2023 All-Star in my book.

I see her impacting almost every play, either defensively on the toughest assignment or helping out a teammate. I see her boxing out so teammates can get rebounds, always getting open, running the floor hard or spotting up on the arc, stretching the defense creating open lanes for Stewie, Sloot, Ionescu.

Hope she continues to play with the confidence and swag of an All-Star player, which she is.

Betnijah is doing exactly what is asked of her. All Stars are mostly about offense, and she's being asked to do a lot less offensively with everyone around her. I'm hoping she's getting serious looks for all defensive teams though.

Betnijah is doing exactly what is asked of her. All Stars are mostly about offense, and she's being asked to do a lot less offensively with everyone around her. I'm hoping she's getting serious looks for all defensive teams though.
Agree 100%. I just wanted to see her more included/activated in the offense from the beginning. A player who's a capable scorer at all three levels shouldn't just be sent to the corner as a last option, IMO.

Thankfully, the last several games she's being incorporated in more of the action. And her points have come up to where one would expect( a lot of 15-19 pts in the flow of the game, lately). I know it's going to take time for the Liberty to get to the comfort level that the Aces are enjoying right now with their team chemistry. I just want to see the Liberty try to play more like the Aces with the ball movement and sharing the offensive load, ....consistently. Too many ocasions when they are forcing things to Stewie. Yes, she's whole-nother level, talent-wise, but the team is better off taking advantage of having a top 7, arguably, that can make plays offensively (similar to the Aces). Stewie is going to get hers much easier if the other team is concerned about all five players.

I think my frustrations stem from, again, the media. Betnijah didn't really have a chance from the very beginning after the big offseason acquisitions. She and Sabrina, IMO, were both the face of the franchise the last couple of seasons. Although Betnijah was and still is a central piece to the Liberty puzzle, media kinda cast her aside for Stewie, Sloot, Ionescu. My concerns and hopes were that the coaching staff wouldn't do the same. Early on,....not so much as of late....it seemed like the staff was going to disappoint me.

In conclusion, hopefully the Liberty can get that chemistry down to where we see all the weapons playing at a high level simultaneously like we just saw with the Aces. Hopefully Jonquel can get back to her top form, Sabally continues to get acclimated, and we will see the battle that everyone expected in regard to Liberty v Aces.

Reminder, NY Liberty vs Phoenix Mercury @ Barclay's 7pm, think it is on YES. Betnijah, and crew vs Taurasi/Griner. Our baby Rutgers Betnijah is all grown up and got married last year. Jordan Hamilton played in the NBA, and now in Japan. If they have kids they will be hooping at an early age.

Entertaining game tonight. Someone at the station must have heard me in my previous post. Nice halftime feature on Betnijah.

The team played well tonight. They got thrown off a bit by the officiating IMO. The calls on K. Thornton and Taurasi seizing the moment to get Phoenix back in it added to the drama. Liberty did what they needed to do for the win.

The offense flowed more like it should for most of the game. They kinda settled for too many threes down the stretch but Stewie with 43

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Stewie's 43 was in the flow of the game and offense. I don't remember seeing many dump ins where she had to create a shot. The game clinching bucket by Stewie was her getting it on the move from the pg who had everyone as an option to pass to from the top of the key, therefore creating a wide lane for Stewie to cruise to the basket. That was Ace like offensive execution which they exhibited for most of tonight's game.

Liberty 99-Phoenix 95. Liberty did their best to almost blow their 20 point lead, not that I was worried 😬. Ionescu, and Vandersloot were off, so why not unglue Piph from the bench? Really don't care for Brondello's coaching. Phoenix is a last place team for crying out loud. Griner looked kinda slow, as did DT. Crowd in Brooklyn was great.

Oh, forgot to add that Betnijah was having a really nice game especially on defense, so why not give her some of Sloot's, or Ionescu's minutes??

Oh, forgot to add that Betnijah was having a really nice game especially on defense, so why not give her some of Sloot's, or Ionescu's minutes??
I think Betnijah had to sit for a small for a stretch because they called two quick fouls on her in the third that gave her four fouls. That's when they lost their momentum on Taurasi's "kick-out" three-pt shots.

They are going to have to clean up how they call that closeout play. IIRC, that's what James Harden used to do, following, maybe the originator, Reggie Miller. Hated when he got away with that.

I think the Libs are better off giving MJohannes the minutes to spell Sloot or Ionescu,....as long as they keep one of them on at all times for running the offense.

Johannes really wasn't on the court long enough to get into the flow.

Despite Kahleah scoring 28 pts Chicago still lost. Also, Kelsey Plum had 40 tonight for the Aces.

Busy day on Wednesday.
Betnijah, 10 pts, and very solid D in the OT game the Liberty were lucky to win. Kahleah with 22, but another loss for the Sky.

7/25/23
Some person we all know scored 37, 37 points! Poor Kah, and the hopeless Sky still lost.
Betnijah had a really good game for New York as well.

Sky (and especially Copper) played well, the Aces are just that good!

Laney has really settled into her role with NY and finding her spots. Now shooting close to 50% from the field, over 40% from 3-pt range. Since All Star Break, she's shooting 60% from the field.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Heads up. NY Liberty with Betnijah go against LA Sparks @ 4pm on ESPN! Liberty are now in 1st after Conn. loss today.

WHY??! Would the league put any of the games between their two superteams on Prime Video only????

Why punish your growing fan base and all of us loyal viewers? I can't see there being nearly as many eyes on the game tonight versus if it were on NBATV, ESPN, Ion, etc. Must have gotten a really good deal with Amazon..........
but is it worth pissing off your fanbase whose attendance/viewing numbers have finally started getting people's attention.

Or am I the only one who doesn't have Amazon Prime??

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Everything Crazee said. Really, really piss poor BS by somebody. I won't spend another penny on another channel.

Adding insult to injury it looks like NY kicked LV asses, and held Ms. Arrogance's(A'ja Wilson) to only 9 points, and we didn't get to watch it. Laney must have gotten in early foul trouble from the box.

Nice chunk of coin.
The most significant aspect of the Cup, actually, is cold, hard cash. The final has a prize pool of $500,000 for the players -- the winning team's players receive $30,000 each and the losing team's players get $10,000 -- with at least $165,000 in charitable donations!

Everything Crazee said. Really, really piss poor BS by somebody. I won't spend another penny on another channel.
"Television" is a mess these days. To be honest, we are switching from DirecTV to YouTube TV because that's where we will find NFL Sunday Ticket.

We have Amazon Prime and the streaming service is included. They have one of the NFL games each week, I think the Thursday night one. Yeah, I'm lost. We binged Survivor and Amazing Race last year and that got a bit expensive, as one was included with a subscription to some service (maybe Discovery+) while the other mostly required fees per season. I hate this landscape, which is why i largely haven't subscribed to BTN+ or any of that.

Reactions: RUcrazee
"Television" is a mess these days.

I hate this landscape, which is why i largely haven't subscribed to BTN+ or any of that.
Totally agree. BTN+ is horrible.

IMO, it somewhat holds back the conference. The ESPN networks cover the SEC and ACC so thoroughly that it very likely is an advantage for those schools in terms of their recruiting.

Fox sports is a pain to navigate, IMO. Seemed like the PAC10, 12 or whatever it is was kept from being seen by the rest of the country. Good way to run a conference into the ground.

The Big Ten is going to be packed with powerhouse programs. They need to do better with basketball coverage, especially for the women. This thing of making people pay extra, just to get poor-quality coverage, is a way to squander the opportunity to be THE premier conference in the country.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT