ADVERTISEMENT

6K of us donating 5K gets us a BB practice facility

Originally posted by hinson32:
bscharf, that is like asking does football really need the Hale Center.That not what it is like at all. I think you're missing my point here.

The Hale Center was renovated to what it is now about 5-6 years ago. The football programs success built the Hale center. Not the other way around.

Im not saying they couldn't use new facilities. Of course they can. But there is a thought process on this forum that the barrier between mens bb and success is a practice facility and I think that's silly.

I will attempt to summarize Julie's points on finances:

- Julie is charged with and has to make the AD free of University support by 2021.
- Barchi and the BOT, will NOT allow Julie to float bonds, borrow from future BIG $$ or use University funds to build. If facilities are to get built the money has to come from donations and athletic revenue.

- In five years when we receive our first full BIG share, we still have to pay off the subsidy before we spend the money.
(lets use $40mm as out first full payment)

- If our subsidy if still $29mm, we only would have $11mm to play with.
- I asked Julie about his and she projects that in five years the subsidy with be around $11mm, giving us $29mm to play with for facilities, salaries, etc.

I thought Julie was great last night. She was honest and we might not have liked her answers, but she told us the truth.
Bottom line, unless we find out own T. Boone, the earliest we start to build in ernest is five years from now.

Baseball/Softball are getting a new indoor facility soon because the supporters of Baseball/Softball are in the process of paying $3.3mm to build it.

It is totally frustrating for us long time hoops fans, but somehow we need to find someone with big pockets to fund basketball.

This post was edited on 2/17 10:28 AM by hinson32
The truth is sometimes tough to hear. But I certainly respect and support JH more for saying it.

Barchi has got to go. He's tying Julie's hands when it comes to funding, and it's gonna pretty much kill our already dying hoops program.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The small number of alumni that contribute is a big problem in regard to funding all the needs of a large university.Rutgers mens basketball has been ignored for decades and it makes me wonder why anyone would want to be the head coach.If you don't have facilities comparable to the competition,you can't recruit top talent.Without top talent you can't win.Its really a abyss Rutgers mens basketball is stuck in with no way out.

Originally posted by bscharf:
bscharf, that is like asking does football really need the Hale Center.That not what it is like at all. I think you're missing my point here.

The Hale Center was renovated to what it is now about 5-6 years ago. The football programs success built the Hale center. Not the other way around.

Im not saying they couldn't use new facilities. Of course they can. But there is a thought process on this forum that the barrier between mens bb and success is a practice facility and I think that's silly.
The Hale Center was built about 25 years ago before there was any football success at all. Renovating is one thing, building is another. It was built as an absolute necessity way back when. Your opinion that a practice facility does not matter is not shared by people like Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim, and every other knowledgeable person associated with college basketball that I've heard. In fact, it is the first thing that people outside Rutgers talk about as an impediment to our success.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:

The Hale Center was built about 25 years ago before there was any football success at all. Renovating is one thing, building is another. It was built as an absolute necessity way back when. Your opinion that a practice facility does not matter is not shared by people like Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim, and every other knowledgeable person associated with college basketball that I've heard. In fact, it is the first thing that people outside Rutgers talk about as an impediment to our success.

First off- i never said that practice facilities don't matter. Not sure where you're getting that from. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that brand new state of the art facilities help recruiting so we are on the same page there.

Secondly- comparing the hale center of today to what it was 25 years ago is absurd. Even ten years ago. Have you been in there? The before and after is unrecognizable. Even former players will tell you that. The renovation came sometime around 2008 after the program started having unprecedented success. It is now one of the nicest buildings you can find.

My point is that people think a practice facility is what is holding the program back. Its not like our struggles are recent. We haven't had a winning conference record in 24 years! Do they need new facilities? Yes. Would it help? no doubt. But this programs struggles span a quarter of a century. Its about much more than a practice facility. Thats all im saying.

When I saw that RutgersAl started this thread, I knew I had to check in.

FWIW Al - regardless of how many basketball fans Rutgers may have, it's not the common, every day fan that funds large projects like these. It's the T. Boone Pickens and Kevin Planks of the world that do.

be careful shill they may ask you what you're doing ($ wise) to help your school--tit for tat

David stern, ex comissioner of the NBA went to Rutgers. You think maybe he cares about basketball,right?

I guess not.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:

bscharf, that is like asking does football really need the Hale Center.

That not what it is like at all. I think you're missing my point here.

First off- i never said that practice facilities don't matter. Not sure where you're getting that from. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that brand new state of the art facilities help recruiting so we are on the same page there.

Secondly- comparing the hale center of today to what it was 25 years ago is absurd. Even ten years ago. Have you been in there? The before and after is unrecognizable. Even former players will tell you that. The renovation came sometime around 2008 after the program started having unprecedented success. It is now one of the nicest buildings you can find.

My point is that people think a practice facility is what is holding the program back. Its not like our struggles are recent. We haven't had a winning conference record in 24 years! Do they need new facilities? Yes. Would it help? no doubt. But this programs struggles span a quarter of a century. Its about much more than a practice facility. Thats all im saying.
bscharf...what are you not getting...not having a practice facility is representative of the overall lack of investment financially and institutionally....the infrastructure as been neglected. The practice facility is just one example but the most obvious one. Perception on the street about RU basketball is abysmal, from high school coaches, to AAU to basketball recruits, they feel this school is all about football and football spending and does not care about basketball.

Originally posted by Jim_from_RU:
Barchi has got to go. He's tying Julie's hands when it comes to funding, and it's gonna pretty much kill our already dying hoops program.
He is not stopping ANYONE from donating $$$$ to RU Athletics.

$$$ are out there amongst the 460,000 alums (let alone those "friends of the Univ" that never earned a degree from RU but have supported other RU programs in the past)....just like most of all the other Univ have done...RU needs someone to go get it...because obviously those responsible today haven't.

Or even those RU spouses that "married into money" (from a family that didn't attend RU).

$$$ are there for the taking...sometimes, all you have to do is ask (and show a little attention).
This post was edited on 2/17 2:09 PM by Knight_Light

Originally posted by Local Shill:
Well, sounds like the only thing left to do is to start pestering the BOG. I'm willing to annoy them and get under their skin. Sure it won't accomplish anything but at least we'll feel better about this shit sandwich they've seved us.

they don't care...they are only concerned about saving their own asses. They and Barchi think everything is hunky dory and they will look good in the eyes of the NJ politicians...funny things those same politicians will pay lip service and shit on RU anyway and look to take the Big 10 money you watch

That the BOG and Barchi are not willing to come up with a plan to help Julie get its sports programs up to Big 10 level is total failure on their part. To punt the issue once again shows how weak and incompetent they truly are...and this attitude will not change even when the money starts flowing

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

Originally posted by Jim_from_RU:

He is not stopping ANYONE from donating $$$$ to RU Athletics.

$$$ are out there amongst the 4060,000 alums (let alone those "friends of the Univ" that never earned a degree from RU but have supported other RU programs in the past)....just like most of all the other Univ have done...RU needs someone to go get it...because obviously those responsible today haven't.
it is their job...problem is decade and decades of history indicates that RU alums don't give all that much...and more importantly we really do not have any big donors and the ones we do support football strongly

they are going to have to think outside the box in getting new big donors...that the school isn't helping one iota just ties their hands even more

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Originally posted by Local Shill:
Well, sounds like the only thing left to do is to start pestering the BOG. I'm willing to annoy them and get under their skin. Sure it won't accomplish anything but at least we'll feel better about this shit sandwich they've seved us.

they don't care...they are only concerned about saving their own asses. They and Barchi think everything is hunky dory and they will look good in the eyes of the NJ politicians...funny things those same politicians will pay lip service and shit on RU anyway and look to take the Big 10 money you watch

That the BOG and Barchi are not willing to come up with a plan to help Julie get its sports programs up to Big 10 level is total failure on their part. To punt the issue once again shows how weak and incompetent they truly are...and this attitude will not change even when the money starts flowing
Athletics, at any school, is "just another dept", where its up to the Dept Heads come up with a vision of the future and introduce plans/projects to the BOG/Prez to consider.

Its not the BOG's job to come up with every department's future projected projects.

Do you really think at other Univ...Athletics (or any dept/college) sits around and waits for every future idea/project to trickle down from BOG's?

um hello...other schools spend MONEY...what are you missing here. This is not about a nice little fundraising project that Julie has to do. This is an ENORMOUS undertaking....EVERY PROGRAM OTHER THAN FOOTBALL IS AT A MAC OR MAAC LEVEL FACILITY, INFRASCTURE AND SUPPORT WISE....WHAT ARE YOU MISSING ABOUT THIS.

Other schools get okays to spend money. Julie is under directive not only to not spend money for 6 years but to eliminate the subsidy as much as possible...two double whammys...how absurd than it is to expect the all the basketball and Olympic sport issues to be fixed. Its takes more than just fundraising...this is not a trivial upgrade

meanwhile the stupidity of not spending on sports while you have basically lucked into the Big 10 solely on media location to bring money to the league is STUPENDOUS

pernetti had the same requirement about "not spending money"--its not new

Originally posted by ru66:

pernetti had the same requirement about "not spending money"--its not new
you are right...and he like Bob also punted on Olympic sports and basketball upgrades...we are still here except now we are in the Big 10 and once again we are punting the issue for 5 more years.

that's my biggest trouble here...its the BOG and our less than esteemed President Clown Barchi. Its status quo for them just like it has been for 30 years around here except for Bob bulldozing his way through with football along with Schiano...the anomaly here rather than the rule. History shows that every time this schools has penny pinched and done things on the cheap just to get by it has blown up royally in their faces costing millions of dollars, scandals, and embarrassment...and yet they still will not learn their lesson and it will happen again oh yes it will.

bac:

I know what history says about bob...but...like you said, he is the only one that had the political backbone to bully athletic funding through in any form...even if it "only" the football program and that's all that could be done.

We need his support (and teaming up with Julie) for political reasons as much as anything

The good news is Julie has the backbone, like Bob...to bully it through, media hacks and political cronies be damn

The athletic supporters of this school need to be UNITED 100% support her...even when the unpopular comes to light

Bac I have to disagree with that premise.

Spending money you don't have when you're taking the amount of dollars Rutgers Athletics is taking from the General Fund is IMO bad policy. This is a university not an NBA Franchise. If JH went out and raised half of the 25-30 million she would need to build the facility then there's a case to be made for it. But to go out and borrow 25 to 30 million for a facility that basically serves 30 athletes is IMO folly-------and would be viewed as such by the entire university system not to mention the media and the politicos.

WRONG...

Spoken like a true outsider

It is good policy if it is an investment you HAVE TO MAKE, money is cheap now, and building cost are NOT going to go down...

It is called INSTUTIONAL COMMITMENT

The school should be borrowing money to get the ENTIRE athletic department facilities now while money is cheap. You build a program that people are proud off and the long term donations will come to fund the improvements and everything else over the next 20-50 years

bscharf...what are you not getting...not having a practice facility is representative of the overall lack of investment financially and institutionally....the infrastructure as been neglected. The practice facility is just one example but the most obvious one. Perception on the street about RU basketball is abysmal, from high school coaches, to AAU to basketball recruits, they feel this school is all about football and football spending and does not care about basketball.

I've come to the conclusion that my posts are being read in fragments.

I understand the lack of financial support to basketball program. My family and I have had season tickets to basketball/football for 30 years. I'm well aware of the status of the program. Im also well aware that we are lacking in facilities.

BAC- I think everything you're saying is true and I agree. I absolutely believe that our lack of funding is a problem and we desperately need new facilities .I just disagree with the consensus on this forum is that a practice facility is standing between us and a being a top program. I feel its much more than simply funding. I also think if a $30 mil facility popped up on livingston tomorrow morning we still wouldnt be a player for the Briscoe's, Richardson's and Battle's of the world.

Now someone will read the last line and go off on me about how important a practice facility is again. IM AWARE
laugh.r191677.gif

um hello...other schools spend MONEY...what are you missing here.

Weird comment. No other school in the country subsidizes athletics as much as Rutgers. I think a lot of folks have things backwards.

Alums/fans are supposed to pay for this stuff, not the school. There are exceptions of course...RU being the #1 example of a school that relies on school subsidies rather than alumni contributions. Considering the lack of success, I am going to go out on a limb and say that expect the school to spend even MORE money is a ridiculous notion. What you should be asking is why aren't alums and other fans willing to contribute?

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:

WRONG...

Spoken like a true outsider

It is good policy if it is an investment you HAVE TO MAKE, money is cheap now, and building cost are NOT going to go down...

It is called INSTUTIONAL COMMITMENT

The school should be borrowing money to get the ENTIRE athletic department facilities now while money is cheap. You build a program that people are proud off and the long term donations will come to fund the improvements and everything else over the next 20-50 years
Shack:

The message is clear. There will be no borrowing. IF there are to be improved facilities, we are going to have to pony up.

every other alumni base got this done via alumni donations. Syracuse got it done. ND got it done. We can get this done if the desire is there.

are you really comparing us with those schools

this undertaking is the same as Rider or Monmouth moving up from the MAAC to the Big 10. ..because that's where we are right now as a program

RU football did not make it on its own. Basketball is in pretty much the same spot as football was back in the late 90s. There is no denying that.

Its going to take more than fundraising to get this done...and this isn't just for basketball...EVERY sport but football is suffering through embarrassing conditions.....RU should be embarrassed to be in the Big 10 right now because everything about it screams second rate besides football and even then its second division stuff

Originally posted by Shimmy24:
When I saw that RutgersAl started this thread, I knew I had to check in.

FWIW Al - regardless of how many basketball fans Rutgers may have, it's not the common, every day fan that funds large projects like these. It's the T. Boone Pickens and Kevin Planks of the world that do.
Unless you're willing to lend us Kevin Plank or Google Guy, we are going to have to do this on our own. Otherwise, we will have to watch our basketball program languish on the vine.

at some point, I hope we can engage the CEO of Ford or one of Home Depots co-founders, but for now, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

are you really comparing us with those schools

this undertaking is the same as Rider or Monmouth moving up from the MAAC to the Big 10. ..because that's where we are right now as a program

RU football did not make it on its own. Basketball is in pretty much the same spot as football was back in the late 90s. There is no denying that.

Its going to take more than fundraising to get this done...and this isn't just for basketball...EVERY sport but football is suffering through embarrassing conditions.....RU should be embarrassed to be in the Big 10 right now because everything about it screams second rate besides football and even then its second division stuff
The avenues that helped RU Football are not available, and it wouldn't surprise me if this policy came directly from the Fat Man in the governors office.

Originally posted by TDIrish1:

Spending money you don't have when you're taking the amount of dollars Rutgers Athletics is taking from the General Fund is IMO bad policy. This is a university not an NBA Franchise. If JH went out and raised half of the 25-30 million she would need to build the facility then there's a case to be made for it. But to go out and borrow 25 to 30 million for a facility that basically serves 30 athletes is IMO folly-------and would be viewed as such by the entire university system not to mention the media and the politicos.
Every private school I'm aware of, raises the money then builds the facilities. For the longest time, Rutgers has borrowed the money via bonds, then tried to pay back the bonds via ticket proceeds. It's how the new Rutgers stadium was built, weight room expansion was undertaken, and how stadium expansion was undertaken.

So the fanbase has been conditioned in this manner, which is why it's difficult for some to accept the notion of having to raise the funds before anything is built. It's a shock to the system.

Originally posted by rutger80:
So, what happens first; Barchi resignation or an NCAA hoops bid?
Fairly certain that Barchi has always planned to leave after the 2016-17 school year, so it's not even close.

Because Rutgers is the only school in the power 5 to not have an athletic infrstructure...you cannot compare it schools who have been doing this for 100 years...this is akin to Uconn moving from 1AA to 1A

Originally posted by rutgersal:

Spending money you don't have when you're taking the amount of dollars Rutgers Athletics is taking from the General Fund is IMO bad policy.
Every private school I'm aware of, raises the money then builds the facilities. For the longest time, Rutgers has borrowed the money via bonds, then tried to pay back the bonds via ticket proceeds. It's how the new Rutgers stadium was built, weight room expansion was undertaken, and how stadium expansion was undertaken.

So the fanbase has been conditioned in this manner, which is why it's difficult for some to accept the notion of having to raise the funds before anything is built. It's a shock to the system.
And if the stadium was not expanded, it is doubtful we would have received a Big Ten invite.

RutgersAl

The method is there

The leaders are afraid to show the balls to do what needs to be done

They should build a take a lesson from bob mulchay who had the balls to expand the stadium bexause he knew James Delany was watching closely

I don't agree with no spending,...

But the fact of the matter is our donors need to step up.

I do find it interesting that we are getting donations in football and softball and baseball but not in bball.

The admin has to come up with a plan...but we have the worst level of alumni donation in the B1G, Maryland is ahead of us in that but not by much, and look what it has done for their other programs.

Originally posted by scottsdaleal:

And if the stadium was not expanded, it is doubtful we would have received a Big Ten invite.
I supported stadium expansion then , but if you will recall, they tried to raise 30 million of the amount privately and the effort was a failure, so all the construction proceeds were raised via bond sales.

I was explaining to the ND fan because Rutgers context is very different from Notre Dames and many other schools.

the Hale Center renovation occurred in 2004. I remember this so clearly because I got a tour of the facility after the renovation was completed. The 12.5 million in construction funds was raised via bond sales. What you are remembering is that Schiano wanted to replace Hale Center with another facility which also contained an indoor practice field in 2008. This was eliminated from the 2008 project scope as it was deemed too costly. That 2004 renovation was instrumental in turning the recruiting tide against a Syracuse and Boston College in Football. The 2004 class had Mike Teel and Zuttah. The 2005 class had Ray rice, who came because Pasqualoni was whacked and it also had the McCourtys and Courtney Greene. We hope that a new BB practice facility will have a similar effect on a Rutgers Basketball, that the 2004 Hale Center renovation had in football. Sadly, Hale Center will also have to be replaced ultimately, as it is not competitive with facilities at Ohio state and Nebraska, and won't be competitive with upcoming facilities at Maryland and the renovated PSU facility.

Because Rutgers is the only school in the power 5 to not have an athletic infrstructure...you cannot compare it schools who have been doing this for 100 years...this is akin to Uconn moving from 1AA to 1A
How about comparing what RU has/hasn't been able to do while mostly being a member of the Big East and now in the Big Ten...with dozens and dozens of programs that are in smaller, much poorer conferences like AAC, CUSA, Missouri Valley, A-10, MWC, which seem to have been able to raise $$$$ for their own basketball practice facilities.

That's what so alarming...its not that RU is woefully behind other Big Ten programs...its that RU Hoops is woefully behind scores of teams from much smaller conferences...yet their administrators have been successful raising $$$, coming up with detailed plans to get $$$ rolling thru their programs so their hoop programs can improve their facilities.

The lack of foresight/planning by Julie is a major strike against her leadership...as she has the power and mic to lead the charge.

This post was edited on 2/18 7:48 AM by Knight_Light

I actually think this is the only compromise position. We need to raise at least enough to expect incremental revenues from basketball would pay off the rest in a short period of time 5-7 years. You can't borrow for everything but you can if incremental profits will pay for it.

I will attempt to summarize Julie's points on finances:

- Julie is charged with and has to make the AD free of University support by 2021.
- Barchi and the BOT, will NOT allow Julie to float bonds, borrow from future BIG $$ or use University funds to build. If facilities are to get built the money has to come from donations and athletic revenue. Hey maybe everybody will finally believe what some of us have been telling the boards for a year or so now!

- If our subsidy if still $29mm, we only would have $11mm to play with. Did Julie use $29M or are you? $29M includes the student fees and really isn't correct. It should be down to $18/19M - which still sucks - but that gives us a lot more "wiggle room." Just curious, Hinson, thanks!

- I asked Julie about his and she projects that in five years the subsidy with be around $11mm, giving us $29mm to play with for facilities, salaries, etc. Okay this answers my question, lol, and I believe is based on the student fees, as they shouldn't be, not accounted for in the deficit.

I thought Julie was great last night. She was honest and we might not have liked her answers, but she told us the truth.
Bottom line, unless we find out own T. Boone, the earliest we start to build in ernest is five years from now.

Baseball/Softball are getting a new indoor facility soon because the supporters of Baseball/Softball are in the process of paying $3.3mm to build it.

It is totally frustrating for us long time hoops fans, but somehow we need to find someone with big pockets to fund basketball. Yup. Same for EVERY other sport as well (look at what wrestling has been able to do the last 5 years...). Trust me, my dad has had season tickets since before THE RAC opened, with 2 seats in Row A for years, so I get everybody's frustration. Somehow, someway, we've got to find "that" guy.

This post was edited on 2/17 10:28 AM by hinson32
Great stuff, Hinson, thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT