ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball BREAKING -- Rutgers senior guard Paul Mulcahy plans to enter the transfer portal, he announced:

Articpe says he announced. So it's official and not another "Mag is transferring" fiasco?

Time for Pikiell to start going nuclear on the portal (not this offseason but starting next offseason). No being picky and choosy. Bring guys in and if that causes other players to transfer out, so be it. They're transferring out anyway.

Time for Pikiell to start going nuclear on the portal (not this offseason but starting next offseason). No being picky and choosy. Bring guys in and if that causes other players to transfer out, so be it. They're transferring out anyway.
This is what I didn’t get either. 2024 is great, but you are punting Cliffs last 2 years by not dipping in the portal enough

He did fade. There were rumors he was hurt.
I don’t see by him leaving on June 9 makes us a better team
We will get a backup. Fernandes, Simpson and JMike will be a better backcourt than we had last year, no question.

We had a culture that was in equilibrium.
And working.
Things are no longer in balance.
This is a moment of danger for the program. Our NIL resources are meaningful but limited.

And those who are here want to be retained as they read about Ace and Dylan.

Clearly they feel let down.

I believe they fell short in their communications and Pike fell short re his preparation for his new direction and management of his roster.

We had a culture that was in equilibrium.
And working.
Things are no longer in balance.
This is a moment of danger for the program. Our NIL resources are meaningful but limited.

And those who are here want to be retained as they read about Ace and Dylan.

Clearly they feel let down.

I believe they fell short in their communications and Pike fell short re his preparation for his new direction and management of his roster.
All the eggs in a basket for one year of Dylan and Ace…which probably won’t even happen…and if it does, we might have three walkons in the rotation with them.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Didn’t expect this. Dude played Rutgers worse than Cam. Where are the Paul fanbois / cam haters now.

Paul gave us 4 years.

Cam was a 1 year rental

Sorry, Pauls history/ dedication to the program is going to garner him a little more respect compared to Cam.

I am shocked by this. I am not a Paul "fanboy" - I 100% agree with the problems with his game. I too wanted to see his role reduced/ changed this year.

but maybe that's what makes this transfer different from Cam. Cam was set up to have a really big role (maybe even bigger with slashing PGs able to dish out to him and another shooter in Gavin to take pressure away from him) but perhaps Paul was told that his role was going to CHANGE and/or be REDUCED. if so that would make his decision very different from Cam (which was seemingly all about $$$$$).

if it was role/ playing time issue then Paul's transfer kinda smells like Mathis' transfer (where there seemed to be a mutually-agreed upon situation where his time here was kinda done). and for that reason Mathis didnt get a huge backlash.

granted - the timing sucks and IF he mislead his coaches (like Cam seemed to have done) THEN he would certainly be worthy of ample criticism

either way - I truly hate the current state of college basketball right now. luckily I am becoming numb to this whole mess. my enjoyment of college basketball decreases daily.

Paul received so much criticism from so many RU fans this past season. Many on this site ripped him up and down. I think that is why he is leaving. Now we only have 9 guys and Mag might be out for a while. This is bad but I know Paul was injured almost all of this past season and he gave his heart and soul to our team for the past four years. I know I will miss him and we just might struggle this coming season. Some on here I think will be happy but I can understand why he made this decision as so many on here ripped him constantly. I was hoping he would be 100% healthy this coming season and would finish a wonderful career. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Northwestern as they wanted him badly 4 years ago and Audidge is leaving. I wish him well. He did so much for RU and gave us 4 years.

Id honestly rather get all the young players experience and change our offense to a fast paced nba style offense that we will have to have with Dylan and ace. Everything is about 2024 at this point any success this year is just gravy.

Reactions: RUAir-Raid
Pikiell needs to stop sitting on his hands and go get some players. Not surprising that Mulcahy is leaving, timing stinks...he would be a key piece given Noah's injury history but was basically recruited over with GG and Noah arriving.

Paul gave us 4 years.

Cam was a 1 year rental

Sorry, Pauls history/ dedication to the program is going to garner him a little more respect compared to Cam.

I am shocked by this. I am not a Paul "fanboy" - I 100% agree with the problems with his game. I too wanted to see his role reduced/ changed this year.

but maybe that's what makes this transfer different from Cam. Cam was set up to have a really big role (maybe even bigger with slashing PGs able to dish out to him and another shooter in Gavin to take pressure away from him) but perhaps Paul was told that his role was going to CHANGE and/or be REDUCED. if so that would make his decision very different from Cam (which was seemingly all about $$$$$).

if it was role/ playing time issue then Paul's transfer kinda smells like Mathis' transfer (where there seemed to be a mutually-agreed upon situation where his time here was kinda done). and for that reason Mathis didnt get a huge backlash.

either way - I truly hate the current state of college basketball right now. luckily I am becoming numb to this whole mess. my enjoyment of college basketball decreases daily.
I agree in the respect of this being a Mathis type transfer. With Noah and Derek being fast guards, I think the tempo of the O will change. Paul not a spot up shooter. I could see his minutes being reduced. Timing still sucks.

Pike showed him more loyalty then he would his own children. Pike stayed with him as he melted down and cost us an NCAA bid. Below average player with multiple on court incidents. Seemed to be positive off the court. Absolutely predictable, whiney, brat look at me move to finish his whole offseason about himself. Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT