ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball BREAKING -- Rutgers senior guard Paul Mulcahy plans to enter the transfer portal, he announced:

NIL started and loyalty is gone forever. All the so called insider info means zilch but I will root for whichever players is wearing the RU laundry come the first week of Nov. knowing those players may only be here for this year only. As far as Ace and 2024, it’s a long way off and you can’t count on anybody from this 2024 stellar class until they are wearing the RU laundry in Nov 24.

maybe.

but, honestly, we on this board are irrelevant.

its all about what the coaches knew. were either of them upfront with the coaches? were the coaches blindsided like us fans? did either mislead the coaches of their intentions?

e.g., if Paul had been upfront with Pike all along ("hey coach dont count on me coming back" but only publicly announced just now and maybe that prompted Pike to pick up Fernandes as insurance? then IMHO criticism is not really deserved.

on other hand if he's been telling Pike the opposite (or nothing) all along then, yes, youd be 100% right... this would be worse than Cam.

but we know none of this so really our opinions on here (including mine) are meaningless and ignorant
I believe he said he was staying to multiple folks

If Cam and Paul left right after the season, we could have found replacements. Also could have helped transitioned to being a faster paced team that fits players like Simpson Noah and Cliff. Now we are kind of screwed with limited portal options

We need to be tampering with B1G quality potential grad transfers. The depth at guard is scary. Paul could maybe play some minutes at the 4 at his size if needed too before Mag gets back. We need help there too

Interested to see what Pike does with 4 open scholarships this late in the year. I'd take Ogbole or Bodo with 1 of them

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Pike said in the podcast with Recco that college BB has changed and you can’t relyon kids staying 2,3,4 years because of NIL. He also said he’s dealt with obstacles since he took the job, facilities, attendance and housing.
This is another obstacle, a huge one that at the moment the optics aren’t looking too good. I’m sure he knows he’s got to get out in front of this and hopefully he has a plan so we have a legit shot at a NCAA tourney bid. Otherwise, this obstacle Pike now has may be too difficult to conquer.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
There was always big money involved it's just bigger and on the table now. Also, I'm hearing that money is not the driving force behind Paul's decision.
Is that why his family member is shopping him around for NIL money? The fan criticism is simply an excuse, every fan base in America would have ripped him for his play down the stretch. He’s trying to make someone else that bad guy so he still looks like then golden child.

Last edited:
Pike said in the podcast with Recco that college BB has changed and you can’t relyon kids staying 2,3,4 years because of NIL. He also said he’s dealt with obstacles since he took the job, facilities, attendance and housing.
This is another obstacle, a huge one that at the moment the optics aren’t looking too good. I’m sure he knows he’s got to get out in front of this and hopefully he has a plan so we have a legit shot at a NCAA tourney bid. Otherwise, this obstacle Pike now has may be too difficult to conquer.
Just hope that Pike isn’t “too nice of a guy” to make it in this new world, where loyalty and respect is out the window and developing players may actually be wasted time when they bolt after improving.

Reactions: 4theknights
I wanted PM to stay, although he played poorly down the stretch this year. Him leaving this late is a HUGE kick to the nads of the program. I don't think he gets much more than polite applause at best if he ever shows up at a future Rutgers game, and won't be surprised if he is booed if he plays against us on our floor.

Thanks for the memories, Paul, but this is burning bridges.

If he's been struggling with the decision, the team wouldn't expect him to be back and the experts/insiders wouldn't say he's 99% back.
Oh well, like I said Idk what's in Mulcahy's mind. I'm sure RU will be fine.

Is that why his family member is shopping him around for NIL money? The fan criticism is simply an excuse, every fan base in America would have ripped him for his play down the stretch. He’s trying to make someone else that bad guy so he still looks like then golden child.
He was the Golden Child?

Didnt he say he wouldnt want to play for any other coach

He needed to do whats best for him but reality is in the NIL era forget about loyalty and what players say

Boo hoo if Paul was mentally weak
I forgot about that. Yeah - he belongs in the same category with Cam.

Still predicting Wisconsin is in the mix. Paul leaving in June is pretty lousy. Liked the guy, but a dick move, particularly after 4 years when program treated him real well, IMO.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
It doesnt appear John Fanta is too bright a person: "The decision to transfer is a result of the disappointing and frustrating back half of the season that Rutgers had". It didn't take a rocket scientist to realize over the last half of the season Paul's play was pretty terrible and was a big part of the meltdown. The team had much more of a pulse when he was off the court and Simpson was on the court.

Reactions: RUDivision
It doesnt appear John Fanta is too bright a person: "The decision to transfer is a result of the disappointing and frustrating back half of the season that Rutgers had". It didn't take a rocket scientist to realize over the last half of the season Paul's play was pretty terrible and was a big part of the meltdown. The team had much more of a pulse when he was off the court and Simpson was on the court.
Fanta bleeds SHU blue but he has solid connections

Just hope that Pike isn’t “too nice of a guy” to make it in this new world, where loyalty and respect is out the window and developing players may actually be wasted time when they bolt after improving.
Oh stop . He’s not

Paul's loss is not as big as some think. Quite honestly, he played terrible last year. I think Fernandes and Simpson will quickly make Paul's loss an after thought. Paul slows the game down too much, which is not a recipe for success in today's game. I do think him waiting two months to announce his departure was in very bad form though. I don't think too many Rutgers fans will be giving him a standing ovation if he ever returns to RAC.

Paul's loss is not as big as some think. Quite honestly, he played terrible last year. I think Fernandes and Simpson will quickly make Paul's loss an after thought. Paul slows the game down too much, which is not a recipe for success in today's game. I do think him waiting two months to announce his departure was in very bad form though. I don't think too many Rutgers fans will be giving him a standing ovation if he ever returns to RAC.
Talent-wise, it’s not a great loss. However, when you only have two small guards right now and no bench, it’s huge.

This happened last season to St. Bonaventure. 5 starters who graduated all got a covid year. 1 went G-league other 4 were going to stay for a fifth year. That changed with NIL. 2 went to Iowa St. 1 to Florida (Kyle Lofton) 1 to Alabama. None found the success they had at Bona.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
Really dumb move, blows his legacy connections away, he’s a respected NJ guy no longer. In reality this could potentially cost him more over time than any one year NIL deal will provide. He just another hired piece somewhere else, he will end up with no lasting connections.
As an ex RU athlete alumni and team connections were and are very helpful career and post Grad wise. My team mates are still my best friends years later. My personal experience tells me this a really short sighted move that could cost him for years to come and that factors in whatever NIL delivers in this one shot deal, I just thought he was brighter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT