ADVERTISEMENT

Butch Jones

rutgers4life11

All Conference
Jan 22, 2014
I think all these big-time recruits swarming to Tennessee are in for a rude awakening with this guy at the helm.

Jones is 12-13 so far at Tennessee, which consisted of 'big time' wins over such storied programs as:
South AlabamaWestern KentuckyAustin PeayChattanooga (FCS)Vanderbilt (when they were 3-9)KentuckyKentuckyUtah StateArkansas StateYeah... and we complain about Flood's wins! lol

Oh, and let's not forget that the last two times we've faced Jones - Rutgers won.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

If recruits want to buy into the snake oil, then let them. Just ask for Marques Ford's opinion. Our current program bested Butch Jones on the field and has consistently developed more NFL talent. Take the coach over the salesman any day. Sorry JG.

Jones is an excellent coach and he will turn Tenn. around without a doubt.

That statement says nothing about our ability to be great.

He had a great record at central Michigan and a fairly good record at Cincy. Keep in mind he rode the cote tails of Brian Kelly the whole time as he replaced him twice.

Originally posted by zappaa:

Zap, this is the SEC , not exactly a hotbed of patience for coaches.

The Vols have Alabama and Arkansas as their division crossover games this year with Oklahoma OOC. Next year they have Alabama and Texas A+M with VTech OOC.

His seat could get hot very quickly, regardless of how well he recruits (and the excellent recruiting sometimes ADDS to unrealistic on-field expectations by fans/boosters).

Agree Jones is an excellent coach.
I thought that when Tenn hired him and still do now.
Getting a recruit Rutgers fans wanted to pick RU, doesn't make Butch a bad coach.
Just one I'm not too found of now
wink.r191677.gif

Play Alabama, Georgia, and Florida guaranteed every year, and oh throw in an Oregon or Oklahoma every now and then and tell how that works out for you. Not to mention we have played Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, and LSU through the last 3 years so what would Rutgers record be with Derek Dooley at the helm like we had prior to Butch Jones with no offensive lineman, not one, signed for your 2012 class?

Yeah, STFU

If you don't do so well in sec games, maybe you should move to the acc. duh. Good luck Butch!

Originally posted by volsrus1:

Play Alabama, Georgia, and Florida guaranteed every year, and oh throw in an Oregon or Oklahoma every now and then and tell how that works out for you. Not to mention we have played Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, and LSU through the last 3 years so what would Rutgers record be with Derek Dooley at the helm like we had prior to Butch Jones with no offensive lineman, not one, signed for your 2012 class?

Yeah, STFU

Jones also took schollie from Marques Ford two weeks from signing day. Shows what a class act he is.
This post was edited on 4/15 3:25 PM by shields

Yeah, STFU
We have Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St. Michigan St. every year. And this year we also have Nebraska & Wisconsin in the B1G.
Add in Washington St and Kansas

This post was edited on 4/15 5:26 PM by OntheBanks

Here's our 2015 Schedule

Yeah, STFU

I will trade you Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and LSU every year for Ohio State, Michigan St., Penn State, and Michigan any day of the week.
Throw in our crossover games with Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Thanks to CBJ we should be favored in every game this year outside of UGA and Alabama and are the trendy pick to win the East this year. We have UGA at home and they will be breaking in a new QB so that will be a good game.

The way he has overhauled the roster this quickly is nothing short of amazing. We started like 7 true freshmen against UGA last year and almost pulled off the win. We return 18 starters and will return 16 next year. In 2016 we should be competing for a playoff spot.

^^ This is the thing with the SEC. If Tenn wins the east, will it be "well UGA has a new QB" etc and the league is down? No, of course not. It must be the Tenn is the greatest team ever and will be ranked in the top 5 after basically only beating FCS and WAC teams the past 2 years.

Butch is beloved right now. Tennessee is one to the top 10 winningest schools in history and Derek Dooley, and to a smaller extent, Lane Kiffin destroyed it. To say the program was in shambles when CBJ took over is an understatement. He took what was possibly the worst roster in school history when he took over and overhauled it in basically two and 1/2 classes. We have had two top five finishes in a row in recruiting for a team that had been bad for half a decade. Last year we played the 2nd toughest ranked schedule in the country and made it to 7-6 playing pretty much all freshmen and sophomores.

Of course, he will need to keep the program on it's current trajectory. We should be favored vs Oklahoma, UF, Arkansas and the rest if the games. We return a lot more than UGA this year and barely lost that game the last two years. Mizzou lost a ton and their DC. Bama will of course be really good, but we played them tough last year. It should be a good year, we will lose some of course because we aren't deep yet. In 2016 this team will be absolutely loaded though and will be able to compete against anyone.

The SEC east is not the same as the SEC west. B1G east is way tougher than the SEC east. Our crossover games were Wisconsin and Nebraska so save the bull.

If you put a ton of stock into recruiting rankings (I don't ), it's hard to argue that Tenn was lacking talent when Jones took over. Rivals had the classes leading up to his tenure ranked at 10-9-13-17-21. That's hardly lacking talent. The Tenn fan base may love Jones because he has signed 2 top 5 classes in a row prior to the upcoming class. Many fans are like that...they seem to be swayed more by perceived recruiting success than winning big on the field. Sometimes the rankings don't equate to on field wins..look at UNC, Texas and Michigan recently. I would say Tenn needs to win 9 or more games this year ..otherwise Jones seat will be getting pretty warm going into next season.

If you think Butch inherited a talented team just watch the NFL draft in a couple of weeks. For the first time in 51 years Tennessee may not have a player drafted. Dooley didnt recruit one single offensive lineman in 2011. A lot of those highly rated players either never panned out or left the program. That's the reason UT played 22 freshman last season. He bleeds to win atleast 8 this season, and contend for the SEC in 2016.

This post was edited on 4/15 8:10 PM by All_Orange

As long as your Tenn Players actually go to class, do their own work, and don't get busted for crimes or taking bribes I'll continue to be pro Tenn. I have no ill will there. As for most of the the rest of the SEC....yeah, right.

Wouldn't mind playing them again in the near future as long as we can get impartial refs next time. We've had plenty of southern hospitality both on the Football Field and Woemn's BB court in the past.

Well I thought Butch Jones was overpaid when he was hired and still think that but these days that 3M+ salary is more a norm than a premium. I don't care about recruiting, never pay much attention to it. I don't complain about who we get or don't get. I care more about coaching and developing players, etc...I'm not sold on Butch Jones yet but it's still early in his tenure at Tenn.

So he can recruit gangbusters but it doesn't impress me, Brady Hoke did too so did Lane Kiffin but they didn't succeed very much. I would've like to see what Butch Jones would have done at his last 2 stops had he stuck around longer after Brian Kelly got things rolling. I tend to think Butch Jones will be at best an average coach for Tenn. I think a bunch of 5-8 win seasons and around .500 in conference. The occasional stinker season and possibly a special season but generally average.

Gotta wonder what Butch is telling all the other QB's if he told jg he would be a 4 year starter...

I think Butch Jones is a better coach than Brady Hoke. I'm only comparing the recruiting ability and how I don't put a lot of stock into it even though they are both excellent recruiters.

The comparison has to be against Richt, Saban, Miles, Bielema, Mullen, Pinkel, Spurrier, Malzahn, Sumlin and a few of the newer names. In that environment, how will he stack up? There are some coaches on that list that I think are better than Jones and even they'll have a hard time moving up or maintaining their positions inside the conference.

Yeah well i'm not sold on Butch. He hasn't done anything of note yet. In Cinci he rode the coattail of Brian Kelly(whos not that great himself.) Don't get me wrong i think he's an excellent recruiter and thats really more then half the battle. In terms of X's and O's he never stood out to me. Now that he recruited back to back top 5 classes he could get it rolling again. The funny part is his last two classes both had 62 commits combined think about that for a second, that teams about to run about space pretty soon. If your recruiting 62 kids in only two classes some of those kids have to pan out.

Gotta wonder what Butch is telling all the other QB's if he told jg he would be a 4 year starter...

the same thing he will tell the 4 star qb he signs for 2017, you are a four year starter.

he inherited a train wreck situation left by dooley.....including dooleys decision to not sign a single offensive lineman in one class.....if you dont think tennessee is about to be back very quickly you are fooling yourself.....jones had to rebuild the roster from what was left behind.

I understand all that, but he still hasn't shown it on the field. I swear this reminds me of Brady Hoke, he was pulling in top 5 classes left and right, and everyone assumed he was going to run rough shod over the rest of the B1G and he did absolutely nothing. All i'm saying is let the man prove it on the field first, they have some good pieces, now let him prove it on the field.

Originally posted by rutgers4life11:
I think all these big-time recruits swarming to Tennessee are in for a rude awakening with this guy at the helm.

Jones is 12-13 so far at Tennessee, which consisted of 'big time' wins over such storied programs as:

South Alabama
Western Kentucky
Austin Peay
Chattanooga (FCS)
Vanderbilt (when they were 3-9)
Kentucky
Kentucky
Utah State
Arkansas StateYeah... and we complain about Flood's wins! lol

Oh, and let's not forget that the last two times we've faced Jones - Rutgers won.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

If recruits want to buy into the snake oil, then let them. Just ask for Marques Ford's opinion. Our current program bested Butch Jones on the field and has consistently developed more NFL talent. Take the coach over the salesman any day. Sorry JG.
I have no idea if Jones is a good coach but knocking him for 12-13 so far isn't really fair considering the shit show he inherited after Kiffin had them in trouble with the NCAA and then Dooley proved to be totally inept.

Originally posted by RU#1fan:

Yeah, STFU

I will trade you Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and LSU every year for Ohio State, Michigan St., Penn State, and Michigan any day of the week.
Throw in our crossover games with Wisconsin and Nebraska.
That's a silly trade off. OSU, MSU, PSU and UM are considered the historical "elite" programs in the BIG. A more comparable trade would be OSU, MSU, PSU and UM for Alabama, Georgia, Florida and LSU.

You making that trade now?

There's no doubt Tennessee has great history, but the program is certainly the victim of a series of duds at HC, and suffered more disappointment on the field than Rutgers over the past 5-10 years.

So when JG kind of implied that he picked Tennessee because he wants to 'contend' at highest level for titles under 'Coach Butch' - it kind of makes you wonder if he's done his homework, and just bugs our fanbase.

Kyle Flood beat him. Schiano beat him. Tennessee has only won 4 bowl games in 15 years. Comparatively, Rutgers has only missed going to a bowl in one year - 2010, which we all know why that was such a difficult year.

Now Butch does seem to have South Carolina's number and you got to give him some credit there, but beyond a particular matchup with a team most people feel is overrated each year, he hasn't exactly proven he can be a world-beater yet at Tennessee Of his other wins, 9 are cupcakes, and the bowl win last year was over a mediocre Iowa team in which UT was favored to win.

But the point at fact here... is he has multiple years of insane recruits and arguably some of the best facilities in the country - so he'll have to start competing at that highest level very soon, or will just become another lameduck. I certainly wouldn't declare him an 'excellent coach' yet, because he has a lot to prove. Inherited programs at Central Michigan and Cincy (that couldn't beat Rutgers)... don't make an excellent coach.

His trajectory on recruiting is great of course, but as Michigan with Hoke has proven, you can have the best players in the world - and still lose to us.

Lastly, if you're talking about the ability to play the best in the country... all I can say is Rutgers is only ONE of 5 teams in the nation that get to play the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS at our home next year. We can battle SEC vs. B1G all day, but at end of the day, you can't get better than the true playoff champs.

Take off the Orange colored glasses .Tenn. will go ,at best,6-6 this year and may not even go bowling.
Originally posted by Snowvols:
Butch is beloved right now. Tennessee is one to the top 10 winningest schools in history and Derek Dooley, and to a smaller extent, Lane Kiffin destroyed it. To say the program was in shambles when CBJ took over is an understatement. He took what was possibly the worst roster in school history when he took over and overhauled it in basically two and 1/2 classes. We have had two top five finishes in a row in recruiting for a team that had been bad for half a decade. Last year we played the 2nd toughest ranked schedule in the country and made it to 7-6 playing pretty much all freshmen and sophomores.

Of course, he will need to keep the program on it's current trajectory. We should be favored vs Oklahoma, UF, Arkansas and the rest if the games. We return a lot more than UGA this year and barely lost that game the last two years. Mizzou lost a ton and their DC. Bama will of course be really good, but we played them tough last year. It should be a good year, we will lose some of course because we aren't deep yet. In 2016 this team will be absolutely loaded though and will be able to compete against anyone.

Originally posted by rutgers4life11:
There's no doubt Tennessee has great history, but the program is certainly the victim of a series of duds at HC, and suffered more disappointment on the field than Rutgers over the past 5-10 years.

So when JG kind of implied that he picked Tennessee because he wants to 'contend' at highest level for titles under 'Coach Butch' - it kind of makes you wonder if he's done his homework, and just bugs our fanbase.

Kyle Flood beat him. Schiano beat him. Tennessee has only won 4 bowl games in 15 years. Comparatively, Rutgers has only missed going to a bowl in one year - 2010, which we all know why that was such a difficult year.

Now Butch does seem to have South Carolina's number and you got to give him some credit there, but beyond a particular matchup with a team most people feel is overrated each year, he hasn't exactly proven he can be a world-beater yet at Tennessee Of his other wins, 9 are cupcakes, and the bowl win last year was over a mediocre Iowa team in which UT was favored to win.

But the point at fact here... is he has multiple years of insane recruits and arguably some of the best facilities in the country - so he'll have to start competing at that highest level very soon, or will just become another lameduck. I certainly wouldn't declare him an 'excellent coach' yet, because he has a lot to prove. Inherited programs at Central Michigan and Cincy (that couldn't beat Rutgers)... don't make an excellent coach.

His trajectory on recruiting is great of course, but as Michigan with Hoke has proven, you can have the best players in the world - and still lose to us.

Lastly, if you're talking about the ability to play the best in the country... all I can say is Rutgers is only ONE of 5 teams in the nation that get to play the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS at our home next year. We can battle SEC vs. B1G all day, but at end of the day, you can't get better than the true playoff champs.
You are overthinking this.

If you polled 1000 high school recruits, college coaches, college reporters and current college players and asked each one who is more likely to compete for a NC over the next 5 years, the answer would be definitively Tennessee.

So I am not sure how one can get on JG for saying what he said. Plus, let's be honest, it's cliche most kids say as to why they choose one of the power, name schools.

Originally posted by krup:

Zap, this is the SEC , not exactly a hotbed of patience for coaches.

The Vols have Alabama and Arkansas as their division crossover games this year with Oklahoma OOC. Next year they have Alabama and Texas A+M with VTech OOC.

His seat could get hot very quickly, regardless of how well he recruits (and the excellent recruiting sometimes ADDS to unrealistic on-field expectations by fans/boosters).
Did you watch them play last year? They were a good competitive team in most games last year and won their bowl game. With the way they have stepped up recruiting the last couple of years, it's going to show on the field even if Jones was a bad coach (which he is not). They also play in the weak division of the SEC so they have a built in edge going forward.

Tenn has had 2 winning season since 2008 and those were 7 win seasons. And they have much more "so called" talent then us.
Flood goes 9-4, 6-7, 8-5 and many of our fans want to rip him. B Jones doesn't even get close to that and he is this great all mighty...It cracks me up

And what fans are we talking about that would pick Tenn for the NC vs our chances? And why? They have a LOT of work to do to even think about a 9 win season in the next 3-4 years much less a NC.

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:

Tenn has had 2 winning season since 2008 and those were 7 win seasons. And they have much more "so called" talent then us.
Flood goes 9-4, 6-7, 8-5 and many of our fans want to rip him. B Jones doesn't even get close to that and he is this great all mighty...It cracks me up

And what fans are we talking about that would pick Tenn for the NC vs our chances? And why? They have a LOT of work to do to even think about a 9 win season in the next 3-4 years much less a NC.
You are in la la land.

Tennessee is more likely (which mind you isn't really that likely) to compete for a NC in the next 5 years than RU.

I am not sure how anyone could argue with that. Note, I am not saying Tennessee is likely to compete for a NC in the next 5 years but if people are trying to argue that JG has a better chance to win at RU over UT, I think that's just not reality outside of the RU fanbase.

Originally posted by yesrutgers01:

Think I'll save this one and come back in about eight months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT