ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash was on Boomer and Carton Tuesday morning at 9:45 am

what a stupid question, sorry, have to call this out. I don't think anyone here is being paid millions to coach 7 home games. Like I said earlier, if any of you worked for me and did something this, I'd can your ass and especially on the backside of such a $hitty debut last year

Imagine you are in a meeting and you don't know the date of implementation of a project YOU ARE WORKING ON. Fortunately, you are being paid less than 200k so it's a cheap fix

This reminds me of a meeting we had when I was in corporate America years ago. Long story short, guy kept referring to a help desk number for people to call. Finally, someone asked him for the number and you know the guy didn't know it . The guy didn't get fired or reprimanded because of who he was , but I learned a valuable lesson that day in the workplace: if your going to have a line of bs, you better have some details to back up the bs.
Obviously, this different than ash somewhat . Because if he wins games we won't care about this .

Should Ash have written down the date for himself before going on the show? Yeah. Does it really matter? Not even a little bit.

Ooh, let's fire him for that monumental transgression of titanic proportions. Give me a break.

This is not a big deal. However one has to add it to the growing list if seemingly not big deals. Like not reviewing film of the team from 2015, like not realizing his best QB was horrible, like hiring some real bad coaches.

The only conclusion I have at this point was that a unprepared young Schiano was more prepared than Ash.

Yeah, he should have known about the date and Boomer being a Terp. Why he's doing it in mid-June, 4 1/2 months before the game is a bit of a mystery to me. I don't know whose idea it was to do the spot now, but it makes NO sense that they didn't do it when Boomer was around, simply because of the UMD connection.

Makes no sense?! Tonight is Rutgers Night at Yankee Stadium.

hold on and be objective, has nothing to with hating. If you worked for me and did this, I'd fire you for being incompetent. You are on a station to promote a game and you don't know the date, never mind you are the HEAD COACH!

People make minor mistakes all the time. No excuse for not knowing the date, but do you really think that's a fireable offense? Seems like a great opportunity for a teaching moment, not a firing. Flood, Rice, Pernetti and Hermann all made major mistakes worth being fired for. This was not in that ballpark - not even close.

I personally find it silly, but going back to when Ash was hired but didn't start immediately, there's been a part of the fanbase wondering whether or not he's all in here.

Reactions: soundcrib
Ooh, let's fire him for that monumental transgression of titanic proportions. Give me a break.
Okay, please highlight the post where ANYONE is saying we should fire him. I'll wait.....
Makes no sense?! Tonight is Rutgers Night at Yankee Stadium.
Bingo, that's why it's important. The whole connection with RU playing there, being feted at the stadium tonight, being NYC's team, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I personally find it silly, but going back to when Ash was hired but didn't start immediately, there's been a part of the fanbase wondering whether or not he's all in here.

He's not the most dynamic personality, which I think comes across as dispassionate at times. Winning will overcome that.

Reactions: cicero grimes
This is not a big deal. However one has to add it to the growing list if seemingly not big deals. Like not reviewing film of the team from 2015, like not realizing his best QB was horrible, like hiring some real bad coaches.

The only conclusion I have at this point was that a unprepared young Schiano was more prepared than Ash.
That may be true but it was smaller magnifying glass and lower ceiling back then.

Ash's actions on this call tell me he has his head in the right place. He's busy preparing his team for game 1 and trying to remember what recruits he needs to talk to on the phone this afternoon. Not when the 8th or 9th game of the year is, and certainly not where some stupid radio personality went to college.

I'd much rather take a guy who is fully engrossed in his team than learning about 'Jersey culture.' Some of you people seriously need to get over yourselves with that garbage. I know the detractors here really wanted Al Golden to drive our team further into the ground. But you don't have to be a 'jersey guy' to be successful here. And when Ash drags you people kicking and screaming into the promised land, I hope you all shut up about 'jersey.'

Ash's actions on this call tell me he has his head in the right place. He's busy preparing his team for game 1 and trying to remember what recruits he needs to talk to on the phone this afternoon. Not when the 8th or 9th game of the year is, and certainly not where some stupid radio personality went to college.

I'd much rather take a guy who is fully engrossed in his team than learning about 'Jersey culture.' Some of you people seriously need to get over yourselves with that garbage. I know the detractors here really wanted Al Golden to drive our team further into the ground. But you don't have to be a 'jersey guy' to be successful here. And when Ash drags you people kicking and screaming into the promised land, I hope you all shut up about 'jersey.'
Yes, but the purpose of the spot was to promote that game and RU night at the stadium.

That may be true but it was smaller magnifying glass and lower ceiling back then.
smaller magnifying glass, lower ceiling but much greater grade of incline to traverse. Make no mistake, the two inherited monumentally different programs

Monumentally different programs?

Flood took Rutgers back to the Shea era. And possibly worse. The reputation Flood put on this program within NJ high school coaches and recruits was arguably worse than what Schiano inherited. The guy was a laughingstock of a coach AND had a team of jailbirds running loose. That's a toxic combination, and I'd argue it may be worse than where Schiano picked this place up from.

The one thing Ash does have going in his favor, is if he gets us back to 7 or 8 wins, the Flood days will be forgotten and the college football landscape will remember what Schiano did here again. Because right now, no one does except for this board.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Did they?

When Greg got here we were only on the Sports page.
hold on, you want to compare what Greg inherited to what Ash inherited. All this nonsensical talk of Ash inheriting Shea era program is pure stupidity. I was not a Greg fan but the two are not even remotely close

hold on, you want to compare what Greg inherited to what Ash inherited. All this nonsensical talk of Ash inheriting Shea era program is pure stupidity. I was not a Greg fan but the two are not even remotely close
I'm not saying that.

In 2000 we were just bad on the field. By 2015 we were "bad" off the field too.

Lot more moles to whack.

I'm not saying that.

Lot more moles to whack.
I don't disagree with that and my comment was more universal than directed at you. Apologies if you took it that way.

I agree we have much to fix

In Typical Freeboard form, A bunch of Whiny people complaining about a really nothing situation
There are plenty of very successful coaches who suck in front of a microphone. I don't care if he speak like he sound Learning Impaired on microphone, so long as he is a savant on the Football Field

First off.......On radio the Host generally has the information for the promo interview in front of him and generally leads the the guest into the promo after asking a few questions. That is just as much on Carton.
Also Who Gives a crap that he didn't know Boomer was a Terp. Boomer has been out of PLaying Football for almost 20 Years now, It is so minor, and the reaction in here is just ridiculous.

Considering previous comments about this game, Why do most of you care anyway:
None of you are going to the game anyway right?
The game was BS to begin with, and a waste of Money to the Alumni and school ....... Right?
Yankee Stadium is a dump for Football, I don't know why they would even bother ........Right?

The reaction in threads like this are why I am on this message board less and less the past 4 years, and also why are fanbase is looked at like a bunch of amateurs.

There I said My peace.

I'm not saying that.

Lot more moles to whack.
Let's not forget that between 2000 and 2004 we were also bad off the field, and some of those were Shea recruits. Street sign incident anyone? Alfred Peterson?

I don't disagree with that and my comment was more universal than directed at you. Apologies if you took it that way.

I agree we have much to fix
And for me it is a bigger fix than 2000.

I didn't feel that way initially, but I do now.

Let's not forget that between 2000 and 2004 we were also bad off the field, and some of those were Shea recruits. Street sign incident anyone? Alfred Peterson?
Again, not like recent times.

Under a microscope back then but now it has become an electron one.

I don't see how you can say that given we had nothing, only a stadium in 2000

why?
The stakes. Much higher.

Because now it is considered we aren't starting at nothing.

I am willing to wait for another 2006 (or even a 2005), not sure if the rest of us are.

There's no way to spin it, he was unprepared and that reflects poorly on him. Now, does something like this matter at all in the grand scheme of things? Of course not. That is, unless it is a reflection of his preparation in other areas having to do with selling the program and media, which like it or not, is part of his job.

It is what it is, when you go 2-10 and are having a pretty poor start to recruiting, you don't get mulligans in your PR appearances. What fans are looking for is some sign that he's doing something well, and he's not exactly helping his cause. He may be killing it behind the scenes, but a lot of his job has to do with perception, and he hasn't done much to help in that area yet.

Last edited:
2 things that are kind of alarming
2. He has no idea that Boomer was a Maryland Terp

I understand him and Hobbs are pissed about these deals being made before they got here, but they should put up a nice face and go along with it when they are told to promote it. This means at the minimum knowing when the game will be played.

Maybe Boomer was ambushing him with a trick question about when the game was!

So it would help with recruiting.
giphy.gif

Reactions: MoobyCow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT