ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Ash was on Boomer and Carton Tuesday morning at 9:45 am

on Boomer and Carton at 9:45 am ? .... on a morning 6:00–10:00 a.m. drive-time radio show that time is tantamount to 'garbage time' the bulk of the listening audience has moved on with their day - and the hosts are ready to be done for the day - they put all of their attention into their major 9:00 hour guest - and if it was good - they may have pushed extra commercial spots into the close-out of the show ....

Ok - because it was at 9:30 we can all be proud of our coach - That makes a lot of sense.

it could have been better - but was inconsequential
what doesn't make any sense is all the posters with gasping hysteria and swooning and clutching at the pearls over whether the date of November 4th was or was not on the tip of Ash's tongue.
the point was that coming on at 9:45 and being off by 9:50 is essentially the low-value barren wasteland portion of any morning drive time show - stuff in that portion of the show did not even make the podcast of the show - so it is not like this was on 60 Minutes.

Reactions: mildone
Why not have Hobbs do more promo stuff with media....Ash is in a tough spot off a 2 win season...as any interview will be repeating this sad news. Ash may not be ready for NY media at this time.

it could have been better - but was inconsequential
what doesn't make any sense is all the posters with gasping hysteria and swooning and clutching at the pearls over whether the date of November 4th was or was not on the tip of Ash's tongue.
the point was that coming on at 9:45 and being off by 9:50 is essentially the low-value barren wasteland portion of any morning drive time show - stuff in that portion of the show did not even make the podcast of the show - so it is not like this was on 60 Minutes.
Keep sugar coating the fact that a B1G coach making 2 million a year was unprepared and sounded foolish. No excuses - just another indicator that he seems simply unprepared for this job. He may prove me wrong this year and I hope he does but the bad news just continues - When a coach is new he needs to set a vision and show progress - so far he has not shown neither.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is ready to fire the coach over this, but right now there is Zero Buzz around this program, zero! Marketing is part of the job for the head coach. Why go on the radio at all if it doesn't matter?

For the person that asked if I wanted a Flood who remembered the date or an Ash that did not, my answer is I want a Chris Ash that remembers the date.

what a stupid question, sorry, have to call this out. I don't think anyone here is being paid millions to coach 7 home games. Like I said earlier, if any of you worked for me and did something this, I'd can your ass and especially on the backside of such a $hitty debut last year

Imagine you are in a meeting and you don't know the date of implementation of a project YOU ARE WORKING ON. Fortunately, you are being paid less than 200k so it's a cheap fix

People make minor mistakes all the time. No excuse for not knowing the date, but do you really think that's a fireable offense? Seems like a great opportunity for a teaching moment, not a firing. Flood, Rice, Pernetti and Hermann all made major mistakes worth being fired for. This was not in that ballpark - not even close.

Okay, please highlight the post where ANYONE is saying we should fire him. I'll wait.....

Bingo, that's why it's important. The whole connection with RU playing there, being feted at the stadium tonight, being NYC's team, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

@DJ Spanky - your wait is over. 95 would clearly have fired Ash by now, if he were in charge. Which is just nuts for a minor faux pas like this. Yes, he should've known the date, but firing him for that? C'mon.

@DJ Spanky - your wait is over. 95 would clearly have fired Ash by now, if he were in charge. Which is just nuts for a minor faux pas like this. Yes, he should've known the date, but firing him for that? C'mon.
If u note, i said on heels of disastrous 1st season.

Yes, its fireable offense in real world. imagine being at Deloitte and presenting to ceo and not knowing date of regulation u are presenting on! you get fired that week...

It's not worthy of a canning.

It's simply a missed opportunity to promote and sound informative.

Nothing more, nothing less and should never happen again

Yes, its fireable offense in real world. imagine being at Deloitte and presenting to ceo and not knowing date of regulation u are presenting on! you get fired that week...
If getting a minor detail wrong is a fireable offense, then there'd be nobody left at work. Please be serious. I've made presentations to very senior management and not always been able to answer every question and I'm still around and one of my best friends at work is our CEO's chief of staff and he laughed at your comment that someone should be fired for this. Coached, yes, fired, no - especially if that person has an exemplary record in all other aspects of the job. Now, if you want to fire Ash over his first season, that's very different. I wouldn't, given the mess that Flood left, but the performance was still clearly below expectations.

If that was the first presentation date of a new series, then maybe. If it was in the midst of a bunch of similar weekly presentations where the specific focus on that specific presentation wouldn't start until the week before, then momentarily forgetting the specific date would not even warrant a discussion.

The degree of angst over this issue is nuts.

Agreed. It was a minor thing. But he should ensure that, for the future, he use a different approach to remembering the date of an event he is promoting.

If that was the first presentation date of a new series, then maybe. If it was in the midst of a bunch of similar weekly presentations where the specific focus on that specific presentation wouldn't start until the week before, then momentarily forgetting the specific date would not even warrant a discussion.

The degree of angst over this issue is nuts.
On heels of lackluster performance, u are gone regardless of pedigree.

By any measure, ash first year was disaster. its another indication, imo, that we chose poorly.

Reactions: RU31trap
Agreed. It was a minor thing. But he should ensure that, for the future, he use a different approach to remembering the date of an event he is promoting.
I find rubber bands around my wrist helpful.
And yet an hour later I still wonder, why the fu&k am I wearing this rubber band...lol

Last edited:
If getting a minor detail wrong is a fireable offense, then there'd be nobody left at work. Please be serious. I've made presentations to very senior management and not always been able to answer every question and I'm still around and one of my best friends at work is our CEO's chief of staff and he laughed at your comment that someone should be fired for this. Coached, yes, fired, no - especially if that person has an exemplary record in all other aspects of the job. Now, if you want to fire Ash over his first season, that's very different. I wouldn't, given the mess that Flood left, but the performance was still clearly below expectations.

You are right about not being fired for this, especially if said employee has an exemplary record everywhere else. If ash was 7-5 last year instead of 2-10 this thread wouldn't exist. But it's just another minor red flag on the ash tenure.

On heels of lackluster performance, u are gone regardless of pedigree.

By any measure, ash first year was disaster. its another indication, imo, that we chose poorly.
HAT, can you imagine the level of disarray our program would be in if you fired Ash yesterday.

That would have to enter that into your thinking

Here's the segment:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-rutgers-playing-maryland-at-yankee-stadium/
Carton: "Coach, when is the game."
Ash: Slight pause, "I knew you were going to ask that. . ."
Carton: Cuts right in, "I got it right here, it's Nov. 4."

My take? Does not sound to me like he "forgot" the date of the game. Carton cut him off before he could answer.
Ash did stumble right out of the gate when he said "We are playing Rutgers."
He was not smooth in the segment. But some of you folks are going way overboard in your criticism.

Reactions: mildone
Here's the segment:
http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-rutgers-playing-maryland-at-yankee-stadium/

My take? Does not sound to me like he "forgot" the date of the game. Carton cut him off before he could answer.
He was not smooth in the segment. But some of you folks are going way overboard in your criticism.

Those folks most likely never listen to the show and just went by what a certain blockhead wrote.

In other words, welcome to the internet.

Those folks most likely never listen to the show and just went by what a certain blockhead wrote.

In other words, welcome to the internet.
the link to the show was posted.Unless you believe the russians altered the broadcast,listen youreself.

Couldn't remember the name of a 4 star QB, but he knew the name of the qb
that had been made a WR at another team. He knew the name of another he brought
in who could not pass. And he knew the name of a qb that was absolutely terrible, so his OC
took him in that summer and made him his bff underage drinking buddy, Knew the name of
a young coach that was just a few years older than his drinking buddy.
When he was asked to interview for this East Coast team, his response was what's a Rutgers?\
If and when he blows this job, this board will blame Flood and probably Shea somehow.
He was unprepared for this radio interview, just like he was unprepared for this head
coach job, which is the worst job in college sports, a guy with experience should have
been hired.
If you are not tired of my ranting, just mention Shea again, and I'll be back.

Reactions: RU31trap
the link to the show was posted.Unless you believe the russians altered the broadcast,listen youreself.

I did, that is why I posted if anyone actually listened to it, he didn't forget, he was cut off before he got a chance to answer, the clip is above.

So what you posted was false, 4 pages based on something that never happen.

I did, that is why I posted if anyone actually listened to it, he didn't forget, he was cut off before he got a chance to answer, the clip is above.

So what you posted was false, 4 pages based on something that never happen.
That also sums up his posting history on recruiting on Rutgers "losing" recruits to other teams.

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
So you are still around because the CEO's chief of staff is a best friend of yours?

All Ash is truly worried about is going 1-0 this week. That is all we should care about as well.

Schooled again with fake facts.

Here's the segment:

I looked for the audio yesterday and couldn't find it, and today I was hoping to listen and then post 'haha, I'm an ass for taking other people's word for it'. I don't know, I just listened and it sounded an awful lot like he forgot.

Ash: Slight pause, "Aaaaaa.....I knew you were going to ask that, I'll be honest..."
Carton: Cuts right in, "I got it right here, it's Nov. 4.

Again, it's a tiny thing, but I can't listen to that and come away with any other conclusion than he didn't know the date.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
I looked for the audio yesterday and couldn't find it, and today I was hoping to listen and then post 'haha, I'm an ass for taking other people's word for it'. I don't know, I just listened and it sounded an awful lot like he forgot.

Ash: Slight pause, "Aaaaaa.....I knew you were going to ask that, I'll be honest..."
Carton: Cuts right in, "I got it right here, it's Nov. 4.

Again, it's a tiny thing, but I can't listen to that and come away with any other conclusion than he didn't know the date.
Russia intercepted the date. I don't see how you conclude that when Carton cut him off right after he said, "I knew you were going to ask that. . . " The next words out of his mouth could have been the date, but we will not know. But instead, we get BlockR's false narrative propounding a 5 page thread on a mole hill.

So you are still around because the CEO's chief of staff is a best friend of yours?

lol, no, he just got that gig a year ago - if they were going to fire me over not remembering some minor detail on some project presentation to senior management, they had 27 previous years to do it. Good managers realize that not everyone is perfect and that the response for a mistake should be proportionate - the idea is to help good employees get better, not to punish them and make them feel like morons, which is very demotivating.

Russia intercepted the date. I don't see how you conclude that when Carton cut him off right after he said, "I knew you were going to ask that. . . " The next words out of his mouth could have been the date, but we will not know. But instead, we get BlockR's false narrative propounding a 5 page thread on a mole hill.
Because he was saying "I'll be honest with you" as he got cut off. You don't say "I'll be honest with you" and then have the answer to the question.

Because he was saying "I'll be honest with you" as he got cut off. You don't say "I'll be honest with you" and then have the answer to the question.
Ash's reply exactly: "Uhhhhh, I knew you would ask me that. . . ." Carton cuts him off and says "November 4."
Where did you hear "I'll be honest with you." ???
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but people are jumping all over him for something that did not actually happen.
Yes, you could infer by his pause, he did not have it on the top of his head, but he seem prepared to answer.

This feels like MSNBC's vs. Fox News' analysis of what someone said about Russia.

Here's the segment:

It's not as bad as I thought, and I didn't know that he was calling in - I thought he was in the studio. Puts it in a different perspective.

But is it worthy of a caning? @mildone would support that.

Yep, the one thing I'd say is that he was probably trying to multitask while handling this phone in, which, in my experience, is a big no-no in this situation. Once you're on, you need to drop everything and focus on that phone call.

Reactions: MoobyCow
And for the funny post in this thread, I will summarize the interview.
Ash: "The game at Yankee Stadium is going to be one of the best sporting events of the year!"
Carlson: "Wonderful! When is the game?"
Ash: "I don't know"
Carlson: "Who is Rutgers playing?"
Ash: "Rutgers is playing? When?"
Carlson: "Yes, Rutgers is playing. Who is Rutgers' opponent?"
Ash: "I don't know. Can we talk about Boomer and how good he did as the Rutgers quarterback?"
Carlson: "Boomer didn't play at Rutgers. Boomer hates Rutgers because he was a Terp".
Ash: "Ohhhhh. So you played for Rutgers".
Carlson: "No I didn't play for Rutgers either. We are just about out of time, thank you for being with us".
Ash: "No problem. Can you tell me were I parked my car?"
This.

This debate really is insane and I hate to say it but it kills me that some of our fan base is this stupid to suggest firing Ash over this.
I have been party to many a presentation including ones given by Deloitte and people are not fired over missing a detail.

I am buying the product or the service, not the presenter. I have been to presentations where the big firms did not hit it out of the park.
Unless the presentation is a complete disaster I still give the product a chance. If Ash was marketing a calendar then I would have second thoughts.

To use missing a detail in a promo for a game as a basis for a change that would totally disrupt your program is mind numbingly short sighted.
If you want to debate Ash's on field performance, go for it, but leave this very minor misstep out of it.

Was Brian Cullinan removed from PWC for the Oscars fiasco? He won't be attending the Oscars but he was not fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT