ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All attributed to the lootin and riotin.

Masks outside of the office, none inside. At my country club, all the employees are in masks. Members aren’t.

Some old sayings stand the test of time for good reason. This is a perfect case of two wrongs don't make a right. Just because some protesters ignored public safety by protesting without masks doesn't mean other people should ignore public safety good sense and not wear masks now. Based on your posting history, it doesn't surprise me that you apparently don't care about the health of people around you, by not wearing a mask.

Yup, just look how traffic has picked up last couple of weeks.

Yep. Easy tell tale sign. And who can blame anyone. After seeing these rioters/looters/protesters completely ignoring what we have been told kills people with no regard at all, all cheered on by those very same people saying it was of utmost importance to social distance, well, people aren't thaaaaat stupid. The jig is up. People are living.

Excellent update today on monoclonal antibodies (the science and the development of antibody cocktails for clinical trials/treatments) from Derek Lowe's Science Translational Medicine blog, In The Pipeline. He talks about the antibody cocktails from Lilly/Abcellera and Junshi Biosciences that just entered phase I clinical trials, as well as those from Vir and Regeneron, which will be starting clinical trials any day now.

Expect to start seeing some of these filing for approval by the end of summer, with the big questions being things like efficacy and safety, of course, but also manufacturing capacity for each and how to decide which people/patients to treat first, since there won't be enough to go around for a few months. As he says, overall this looks very promising, but it will also likely be a bit messy.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/09/lots-of-coronavirus-antibody-news

Which candidates will look the most successful? Keep in mind that success has several parts – efficacy against the virus, first of all, but also number of doses needed and the total amount of the actual agent that is being dosed. That, as mentioned above, is directly tied to manufacturing capacity. We could end up having to go with a slightly less efficacious treatment that can treat many more patients (and potential patients) versus a better one that has to be given at (say) five times the dose and would thus exceed the human race’s current capacity to produce it. Or versus a better-looking one (remember, these will be on limited data sets!) whose mode of production is just intrinsically more difficult. There will also be considerations about storage and shipment, stability of the production method, and many more: it’s going to be a hard call with a lot of variables involved.

Get ready for it later this summer and this fall, because this could get messy. There are surely going to be a lot of twists and turns, sudden reversals and surprises, and we should brace ourselves for the white water ahead. I think we’re going to come out of it with some real therapies – I really am optimistic about that – but there’s almost no way that it’s going to be a smooth process. . .

Some old sayings stand the test of time for good reason. This is a perfect case of two wrongs don't make a right. Just because some protesters ignored public safety by protesting without masks doesn't mean other people should ignore public safety good sense and not wear masks now. Based on your posting history, it doesn't surprise me that you apparently don't care about the health of people around you, by not wearing a mask.

Why should I care? The elected officials here don't. Based on your posting history, you're an alarmist. You'll be cowering in your house in 2023.

Speaking of looters, shootings up 200% last week in LA. Yea baby!

Literally you're wrong. My office building is packed. And so are others.

I’ve been back at my office for almost a month now. It was a ghost town when I got back but day by day it’s getting back closer to normal. Same with the downtown we are located in. Can see more volume in the parking decks and offices in general.

I assume it will pick up a bit more next week when retail starts to open. And the following week for sure when salons open. I feel like every block has numerous hair and/or nail salons.

Yep. Easy tell tale sign. And who can blame anyone. After seeing these rioters/looters/protesters completely ignoring what we have been told kills people with no regard at all, all cheered on by those very same people saying it was of utmost importance to social distance, well, people aren't thaaaaat stupid. The jig is up. People are living.
+1
Life is opening up, people rejecting the chicken littles:

Five charts that track the U.S. economy amid reopening progress
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/07/five-charts-that-track-the-us-economy-amid-reopening-progress.html

You take the horse and buggy into office too? Going into office every day is a dated concept and almost seems ridiculous after WFH for 3 months.
This is the first time I've worked for home EVER and I didn't particularly care for it, I could do it a once or twice a week but I would be miserable working home 24/7, don't underestimate how many people might be like me.

Can someone shed light on COVID mortality rates? I thought many said it would be around 1% in a worst case scenario, which is exponentially worse than the seasonal flu. We've had 165,000 confirmed cases in New Jersey and to date 12,200 have died. In Somerset County we've had 4,122 confirmed cases and 429 deaths to date. While many of the fatalities are in LTC patients (approximately 45%), the rest have been in the general population.

Can someone shed light on COVID mortality rates? I thought many said it would be around 1% in a worst case scenario, which is exponentially worse than the seasonal flu. We've had 165,000 confirmed cases in New Jersey and to date 12,200 have died. In Somerset County we've had 4,122 confirmed cases and 429 deaths to date. While many of the fatalities are in LTC patients (approximately 45%), the rest have been in the general population.
CDC's updated estimate is a fatality rate of 0.25%. When looking by age, corona is less dangerous than the flu to those 25 and under. Highest risk group is 65+ with diabetes and/or obesity (that rate is much higher).

I believe well over half of all Somerset county deaths have been LTC. Let me check.
EDIT = 286 of the 429 are via LTC (so 67%).

Its so hard to tell with God knows how many asymptomatic people... Depends who you talk to. FKAR100 insists that it's 5% LOL

Update on N95 respirator use/decon. just posted on another thread, but thought the folks who come here for useful info, might find this, well, useful. First off, if I had a public-facing job, I'd do whatever I could to find and wear an N95 respirator, which actually filters out most virus droplets/particles, as opposed to surgical masks which do little of that (they'll protect against larger droplets only). I still think all employees that are exposed to the public should have N95 respirators (we're using them for high contact essential jobs where I work).

With regard to decon/reuse, if one had 3 or 4, they could be rotated each day, such that every time one is used it would have sat for >72 hours (beyond which virus viability has not been seen to date), which should be safe. Alternatively, heating in an oven at 140F (70C) for 30 minutes will destroy any viruses, with what appears to be minimal impact to the filtration capability, although that hasn't been evaluated beyond a few cycles. Vapor phase H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) works best, but not many people have that at home, lol. And UV can work, but it's very technique dependent, as every surface needs to be irradiated for it to work. Don't use ethanol though.

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.20062018v1.full.pdf

Here's an update on heat decontamination of N95 masks. A new paper shows that 70C/160F for 60 min achieves 100% deactivation of SARS-CoV-2 (and E. coli destruction if interested in that) and can be used for 10 cycles if dry heat and 5 cycles if 50% RH, without impacting fit and functionality. This is fantastic news given the ongoing shortages of N95 masks.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.25.20112615v1.full.pdf

Conclusion Thermal disinfection (of both SARS-CoV-2 and E. coli) for 60 min at 70°C uses widely available equipment to enable the safe reuse of disposable N95 respirators without affecting their protective performance. Thus, it provides a feasible, effective and rapidly scalable low-cost method to temporarily expand the supply of N95 respirators during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Note that a paper from mid-April (in the link to my 4/18 post above) showed that 160F (70C) for 30 min could deactivate the SARS-CoV-2 virus, while retaining mask fit and functionality for at least 2 decontamination cycles, so this work extends the number of cycles of reuse.

Also, keep in mind that rotating masks also works, as per the 2nd link in the post above - where one simply waits 72 hours before reusing a mask, as that's the longest demonstrated virus viability - with 3 masks one could rotate their use for many cycles - the maximum number of cycles is not known.

Heat or rotation should also work for the civil KN95 masks, but anecdotally there have been reports of fit issues in less reuses - haven't seen any formal studies on these.

This is the first time I've worked for home EVER and I didn't particularly care for it, I could do it a once or twice a week but I would be miserable working home 24/7, don't underestimate how many people might be like me.
I've been doing my 8 hrs/wk from home, whiich is easy, but my old job would've been tougher to do without seeing people and interacting on teams and trying to manage modest-sized groups (20-40 typically). Maybe I would've adjusted to it, as most of management is still working from home - the people required to be on site are those running experiments in the labs or in the pilot plants (and those directly involved in manufacturing).

I literally cannot wait to go back in the office, I miss human interaction

I miss human interaction with family and friends, which has been starting up again over the last couple weeks. Interaction with work folks is just fine over video.

In the NYC/NNJ area many of the large firms are already starting to cut office space. Nobody misses the commute and being able to eat dinner with your family is not something people are looking to give up again.

I've been doing my 8 hrs/wk from home, whiich is easy, but my old job would've been tougher to do without seeing people and interacting on teams and trying to manage modest-sized groups (20-40 typically). Maybe I would've adjusted to it, as most of management is still working from home - the people required to be on site are those running experiments in the labs or in the pilot plants (and those directly involved in manufacturing).
It's hard to get a gripe of things just by virtuality alone, you need to be on the front lines of your business/job to get a true feel on what needs to be done or what isn't getting done. WebEx/Zoom is only a substitute for human interaction when need be, it should never be the end all solution.

But I think you're going to see companies start drifting away from the standard meeting rooms you see today, the new trends are going to be more laid back meeting rooms with couches and less tables or at least smaller ones. Kind of like a lounge or geared to make people feel more like at home.

Literally nobody wants to get back to the office. Working from home is the new normal and way better than going to the office.

In that case all the home workers can teach there kids also since where its going. Six day a week schooling whether it be some days in school and some at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT