ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't respond last night because I work everday and actually have to go to bed. In the last 12 hours you have 29 posts or likes on this thread alone. Must be boring in mom's bunker. Keep the fear mongering alive.
You can't find the post, because you are a fake news liar. And you responded to other people's posts after that. You got called out on your bs and slinked away.

You do the work. Please repost a post of yours that is positive today or yesterday. Fear monger. Go troll another CE board. You killed 2 of them
No you do the work. You claimed I posted we shouldn't leave our house until we get a vaccine. You made the claim that I posted it. Produce evidence of it. You can't.

Where did I say that? God you really are a clown. Negative post after negative post and bringing up states that are spiking and their death totals were topped by NJ in a single day. Fear monger.
Well Nevada has 3 times less people than NJ, so Nevada would have 1,300 deaths if it's population were the same size as NJ according to math. How many deaths is acceptable to you per state?

More than 50% of states have less than 10% percent of NJ deaths from Covid 19. Yet idiots keep pointing to these states as spiking

Powerful stuff. You want to protect yourself from corona? Forget masks or staying at home.....just lose some weight.

A Tale Of Two Pandemics: COVID-19 And Obesity

https://www.wgbh.org/news/lifestyle/2020/06/12/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-covid-19-and-obesity

here are a lot of possible explanations for why Japan has weathered the COVID-19 pandemic better than the United States. It’s possible that the Japanese are more used to wearing masks, that the government used contact tracing to more effectively to contain outbreaks, and that handshakes aren’t a widespread cultural practice. But according to Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and the dean of the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, one of the major reasons Japan is dealing with the coronavirus more successfully than the United States is because of another problem: obesity.

America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the developed world, and Japan has one of the lowest. And it’s obesity that’s making America’s response to COVID-19 much more difficult.

How difficult? According to a recent study of COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York City, it’s a major concern.

“If someone has moderate obesity … they’re about four-fold more likely to be hospitalized. If they have severe obesity … they have a six-fold higher risk of being hospitalized,” Mozaffarian said. Obesity was more important in determining hospitalization than high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer or kidney disease. In fact, after age, it was the biggest factor driving hospitalizations.

And that means America is uniquely vulnerable, Mozaffarian said.

“About half of all American adults have diabetes or pre-diabetes, and three in four American adults are overweight or obese," he said. "So very few of us are actually healthy, and COVID-19 is basically like pouring gasoline on a smouldering fire.”

In his opinion, the country is facing the intersection of two tragedies: COVID-19, which is fast-moving, and obesity, which has been building for decades.

What can we do now? According to Mozaffarian, a surprising amount: “People think that if you’re obese, it takes years and years to deal with that and get healthy. But many well-controlled trials have shown that if you’re overweight or obese and have poor metabolic health, and you just change what you eat … within four to six weeks, [there are] dramatic improvements in many metabolic parameters.” Increased physical activity can help too, he says.

Mozaffarian is quick to point out that some Americans don’t have access to affordable, healthy food, which makes following his advice difficult. However, for those who are able to improve their diets, Mozaffarian said he believes that at the very least, the government should be telling people to eat healthier, as much as hand-washing and mask-wearing is encouraged.

And Mozaffarian says we could do a lot more than that. Before COVID-19, obesity was already a huge crisis, killing more people worldwide than car crashes and costing America hundreds of billions of dollars. That's why Mozaffarian said he thinks it’s time for a moonshot on diet, a concerted effort to address obesity in the United States.

The three ways Mozaffarian would change the status quo are, on their face, pretty simple. First, he wants the government to create a nationwide response: an office of food and nutrition whose director can report directly to the president. Second, he says we need to make sure that the vast amount of money that is spent on health care also impacts how we eat. According to the CDC, on average, over $10,000 is spent on health care for every person in America. Considering how much our diet affects our health, Mozaffarian believes it makes sense to spend some of that money ensuring everyone has healthy food. And finally, he thinks there needs to be more research on diet and nutrition. Knowing more about the issue will help us address the crisis.

Addressing the obesity crisis will improve our ability to deal with COVID-19, as well as future pandemics.

Ya no crap the virus started spreading in the USA In New York and here. That doesn’t mean Nevada shouldn’t be concerned. Fauci is concerned
Washington was the first state so another lie from you. Do the math deaths by state vs population % get back to me with facts not returic.

I posted about that story a little while ago....that's just sad to see what happens to a person's body. Like they say for some it makes their lungs look like they've been smoking for decades or in this case worse and she's only in her 20s. Good to read that here chances for a normal life are good.

Washington was the first state so another lie from you. Do the math deaths by state vs population % get back to me with facts not returic.
wrong washington was the first state that found a confirmed case, it was certainly already here in NY and NJ at the same time. Multiple people had already died from Corona in California by the time washington found their first case.

Reactions: scripts
Well, this isn't great news with regard to the virus, as a new preprint paper (2nd link) just came out from the Scripps Institute showing that the strain of the virus which has been predominant in Europe and the NE US has a mutation that appears to make the virus more stable and significantly more transmissible, at least in cell culture tests (using "psuedo-viruses" built to mimic the coronavirus, but not dangerous versions). The authors feel that this is why this strain has become the predominant strain in the world. The difference in the two strains is just one amino acid substitution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/...tion=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

https://www.scripps.edu/_files/pdfs...n the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein reduces S1.pdf

Not all experts agree on the increased transmission effect, though, as per the Times article below, as some feel the predominance of this strain is due to the "founder effect" which simply states that whatever version seeded the infections early on in key, densely populated locations like northern Italy and NYC naturally became the predominant strain as it spread rapidly. More work needs to be done here, clearly, to confirm the laboratory findings truly result in greater person to person transmission. Clearly, however, nobody is seriously talking about the virus weakening (even though that is possible).

The one piece of good news from the study was that the original strain (from Wuhan, which is what infected most on the US West Coast) and this strain both respond well to neutralizing antibodies obtained from survivors' plasma, indicating that convalescent plasma, engineered antibodies and vaccines would very likely work for both strains. There is also no indication that either strain exhibits different patient impacts.

This is all potentially the result of a mutation in just a single amino acid residue at position #614 (substituting a glycine for an aspartic acid) on the viral spike protein on the S1 domain, which mediates receptor binding and fusion of the viral and cellular membrane at the interface of the spike protein and the ACE-2 receptor sites on human lung/endothelial cells, allowing the virus to gain entry into these cells and take over the genetic machinery of such cells, turning out boatloads of new viruses to continue the infection. See the pic below.

LqJcWvg.png

Powerful stuff. You want to protect yourself from corona? Forget masks or staying at home.....just lose some weight.

A Tale Of Two Pandemics: COVID-19 And Obesity

https://www.wgbh.org/news/lifestyle/2020/06/12/a-tale-of-two-pandemics-covid-19-and-obesity

here are a lot of possible explanations for why Japan has weathered the COVID-19 pandemic better than the United States. It’s possible that the Japanese are more used to wearing masks, that the government used contact tracing to more effectively to contain outbreaks, and that handshakes aren’t a widespread cultural practice. But according to Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and the dean of the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, one of the major reasons Japan is dealing with the coronavirus more successfully than the United States is because of another problem: obesity.

America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the developed world, and Japan has one of the lowest. And it’s obesity that’s making America’s response to COVID-19 much more difficult.

How difficult? According to a recent study of COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York City, it’s a major concern.

“If someone has moderate obesity … they’re about four-fold more likely to be hospitalized. If they have severe obesity … they have a six-fold higher risk of being hospitalized,” Mozaffarian said. Obesity was more important in determining hospitalization than high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer or kidney disease. In fact, after age, it was the biggest factor driving hospitalizations.

And that means America is uniquely vulnerable, Mozaffarian said.

“About half of all American adults have diabetes or pre-diabetes, and three in four American adults are overweight or obese," he said. "So very few of us are actually healthy, and COVID-19 is basically like pouring gasoline on a smouldering fire.”

In his opinion, the country is facing the intersection of two tragedies: COVID-19, which is fast-moving, and obesity, which has been building for decades.

What can we do now? According to Mozaffarian, a surprising amount: “People think that if you’re obese, it takes years and years to deal with that and get healthy. But many well-controlled trials have shown that if you’re overweight or obese and have poor metabolic health, and you just change what you eat … within four to six weeks, [there are] dramatic improvements in many metabolic parameters.” Increased physical activity can help too, he says.

Mozaffarian is quick to point out that some Americans don’t have access to affordable, healthy food, which makes following his advice difficult. However, for those who are able to improve their diets, Mozaffarian said he believes that at the very least, the government should be telling people to eat healthier, as much as hand-washing and mask-wearing is encouraged.

And Mozaffarian says we could do a lot more than that. Before COVID-19, obesity was already a huge crisis, killing more people worldwide than car crashes and costing America hundreds of billions of dollars. That's why Mozaffarian said he thinks it’s time for a moonshot on diet, a concerted effort to address obesity in the United States.

The three ways Mozaffarian would change the status quo are, on their face, pretty simple. First, he wants the government to create a nationwide response: an office of food and nutrition whose director can report directly to the president. Second, he says we need to make sure that the vast amount of money that is spent on health care also impacts how we eat. According to the CDC, on average, over $10,000 is spent on health care for every person in America. Considering how much our diet affects our health, Mozaffarian believes it makes sense to spend some of that money ensuring everyone has healthy food. And finally, he thinks there needs to be more research on diet and nutrition. Knowing more about the issue will help us address the crisis.

Addressing the obesity crisis will improve our ability to deal with COVID-19, as well as future pandemics.

Anytime this is pointed out some butt hurt fat person rushes to point out that healthy people are dying too. As if 1 healthy person dying for every 100 fat dying is the same.

Anytime this is pointed out some butt hurt fat person rushes to point out that healthy people are dying too. As if 1 healthy person dying for every 100 fat dying is the same.
+1
The data is crystal clear. If you are not obese or diabetic, corona is meh for the vast, vast, vast majority of people. How about people use this as a wake up call to lose weight and get healthy?

I didn't respond last night because I work everday and actually have to go to bed. In the last 12 hours you have 29 posts or likes on this thread alone. Must be boring in mom's bunker. Keep the fear mongering alive.
Exactly right about this imbecile being in his bunker typing away protected by mommy and daddy. You just know if push came to shove in this world he would fold like the proverbial “ cheap suit”... maybe a place like CHAZ would fit him better.

Reactions: WhiteBus
People go to CNN for serious news?
Yes we ALL IN folks should put our trust into what CNN says ... they are so honest and pure....to be open and blunt scientists really don’t have the answers and probably won’t have them for many months... if any still believe in a God may I suggest we do some praying and contemplation instead of lusting for the demise of our culture and civilization as we know it.

+1
The data is crystal clear. If you are not obese or diabetic, corona is meh for the vast, vast, vast majority of people. How about people use this as a wake up call to lose weight and get healthy?

Total BS
20 States have seen the cases skyrocketing. I guess the another 50k deaths this year doesn’t bother you.
How about another 100k ? Still the arrogant fool.

+1

I mean until you know the long-term effects of this virus its too early to make such a blanket statement. I (late 20s very good shape) had the virus in late March. My symptoms were that of a minor cold with the occasional chest pain and loss of taste/smell. Two months later my sense of smell and taste are still greatly diminished and my lung capacity is not what it once was.

Just as a funny example—the other day I was cooking something that I had neglected for a little too long and my girlfriend freaked out ( burned the hell out of the food)—if it wasn't for her I would have had no idea.

NJ with 83 deaths still amongst the highest in the nation.

I think that says a couple things.

1)This was talked about a little the other day. While ventilators may keep a person alive for awhile, it's not saving many lives. So we are seeing deaths from people who were intubated a whiles back.

2)Covid fatality rates are even more cloudy at the present time as it takes some Covid victims a long time to die.

3)As an extension of the above, in order to determine if Covid is weakening we should be tracing the death back to time of initial symptom. We may see deaths now and think, look people are still dying from this, but these may be people who had been fighting this for a month(maybe more, I don't know).

Possibly..there are now long term vent patients who are languishing in the hospital. New admission rates, ICU/ventilator patients are down dramatically from their peaks.

So after California at #1 in new cases it goes:

Texas
Florida
Arizona
NC
Georgia
Alabama.

Bright side here is hopefully this gets us on the same page where we acknowledge this is a countrywide issue and not just a democratic state issue.

Conversely dems need to acknowledge that shutting down the economy again is not a real option.

Kinda weird...all the places rising are places who have opened up quicker than others and have shown a rather cavalier attitude towards CV19.

“This is our concern, Dude.” From WSJ:

In Arizona, the state’s health department over the weekend reminded hospitals to be in emergency mode as intensive-care units in the state approached 80% capacity. Texas set three straight days of hospitalization records this week, surpassing 2,000 a day for the first time. Utah hospitals have hit records twice in hospital admissions since May 25.​

Arizona is very close to being in knee deep. Check back on AZ in about 2 to 3 weeks and see where they stand. If there is an undermining explosion of cases, there will be a lag and they will be smacked in the face very soon.

So what is the science that says the protests have led to spikes in AZ, Florida and Texas but not New York, PA, Mass, and NJ

Protests will not help the cause and probably won't result in much of a bump in cases if most have been wearing masks. I think the true source is the ignorance of those states towards CV19 and jumping back into the fray too quickly/early.

+1

You are sorely mistaken and it wouldn't be the first time. Hypertension/cardiovascular disease is the most common comorbidity associated with CV19. See below. On a side note, what happened to your earlier boasting about all the southern and western states opening up early without problems? Other than GA (which I wouldn't trust any of their disclosed data), everything doesn't look so rosy. The virulence of CV19 has not changed and knows no boundaries. These states could see a big surge over the next few weeks, and their rise in cases was pretty easy to predict.

Study of 5700 patients

Study of 1500+ patients

Johns Hopkins

Total BS
20 States have seen the cases skyrocketing. I guess the another 50k deaths this year doesn’t bother you.
How about another 100k ? Still the arrogant fool.
Please stop being so emotional. Your reply literally had nothing to do with my post and the topic being discussed. Perhaps you should read the article and then respond. Thank you!

Bill Maher had a a doctor on from Tufts University who gave out a lot of good information. He said that if a person is motivated they can change their whole metabolism in three months. There is definitely a correlation between obesity and contracting COVID-19.

However, not being obese does not insure you won't get the virus.

It is actually possible that both arguments hold truth.

Exactly right about this imbecile being in his bunker typing away protected by mommy and daddy. You just know if push came to shove in this world he would fold like the proverbial “ cheap suit”... maybe a place like CHAZ would fit him better.
You’ve posted about CHAZ 100 times. Did your wife run off there or something?

I mean until you know the long-term effects of this virus its too early to make such a blanket statement. I (late 20s very good shape) had the virus in late March. My symptoms were that of a minor cold with the occasional chest pain and loss of taste/smell. Two months later my sense of smell and taste are still greatly diminished and my lung capacity is not what it once was.

Just as a funny example—the other day I was cooking something that I had neglected for a little too long and my girlfriend freaked out ( burned the hell out of the food)—if it wasn't for her I would have had no idea.
That guy thinks it’s the flu don’t bother with him

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT