ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao what? Or you can take some precautions so you can largely stay open without having to shut down businesses or have hospitals overrun. Hope you didn’t think that one through.

Yes, this too among a couple of other things. I didn’t fully articulate my position. I was more commenting on the gov being called a moron.

I would not be so quick to accuse people of calling you names... do you have a backbone ? You had multiple posts and called me names... insulted me... picked on a senior citizen and I ‘m not playing nice?... you are a child.

Last edited:
I'm in. This is not a good discussion at this point.
No it isn't. Philly may not go green next week. The Southern States have been spiking for weeks but those testing positive are leaving hospitals very early on and deaths are no where near the NE corridor as a % compared to the early stages here.

I would not be so quick to accuse people of calling you names... do you have a backbone ? You are multiple posts called me names... insulted me... picked on a senior citizen and I ‘m not playing nice... you are a child.
You two just need to put each other on ignore.

Or just ignore each other.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
No it isn't. Philly may not go green next week. The Southern States have been spiking for weeks but those testing positive are leaving hospitals very early on and deaths are no wear near the NE corridor as a % compared to the early stages here.

This is true, but my response to this remains the same, those fatalities are going to increase. Cases are the leading indicator, when they go up, hospitalizations follow, and fatalities follow that. So even if they don't get as bad as the NE, it's still heading towards very bad territory.

And yes that goes for CA, as well as FL, TX and AZ.

Sorry for even using the word, but the problem with politics talk is not the politics talk, I actually think there is a ton of relevant political discussion regarding Covids, it's people's inability to talk politics in a reasonable manner.

Thus let's keep it out, as best we can anyways.

This is true, but my response to this remains the same, those fatalities are going to increase. Cases are the leading indicator, when they go up, hospitalizations follow, and fatalities follow that. So even if they don't get as bad as the NE, it's still heading towards very bad territory.

deaths are what matters....we will watch what happens

Reactions: Knight177lb

Yes they are going to increase but will never approach anything like the early days of the NE corridor. They have learned alot about treatment from the East. So people are in and out of ICUs faster. Less people as a % will die but most of those have preexisting conditions. None of the protocols were put in place to eliminate this virus. They were put in place to help slow a massive overwhelming of hospitals. I've said this from day 1. Everyone will have to face the music. We are just kicking the can down the road. We close businesses for arbitrary reason but have done nothing to protect the old folks. Nothing.

Reactions: Knight177lb
No it isn't. Philly may not go green next week. The Southern States have been spiking for weeks but those testing positive are leaving hospitals very early on and deaths are no where near the NE corridor as a % compared to the early stages here.

was Philly not including in the green phase that took effect today for all the surrounding counties that hadnt moved to green,

That chart shows the US's recent new cases trending upward faster then Mexico's.

Of course - because Mexico has crummy stats (on purpose)

Mexico is severely — and maybe purposely — undercounting its coronavirus deaths
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/13/21255012/coronavirus-covid-19-mexico-death-count-cases

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican government is not reporting hundreds, possibly thousands, of deaths from the coronavirus in Mexico City, dismissing anxious officials who have tallied more than three times as many fatalities in the capital than the government publicly acknowledges, according to officials and confidential data.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/world/americas/mexico-coronavirus-count.html

As I noted cases are a leading indicator. Cases go up, then hospitalizations go up, then fatalities go up. Thus cases do matter.

I also think as a stand alone consideration, hospitals being overrun also matters

25 percent of cases just in recent days in CA..wow
25% of cases in CA in last two weeks
25% of cases in FL in last 6 days.
25% of cases in TX in last 8 days
25% of cases in AZ in last 6 days
25% of cases in OR in last 10 days
25% of cases in GA in last 2 weeks
25% of cases in NC in last 12 days
25% of cases in TN in last 12 days
25% of case in OK in last 9 days

Sorry, but while CA is bad, it is unfortunately far from the worst.

Yes they are going to increase but will never approach anything like the early days of the NE corridor. They have learned alot about treatment from the East. So people are in and out of ICUs faster. Less people as a % will die but most of those have preexisting conditions. None of the protocols were put in place to eliminate this virus. They were put in place to help slow a massive overwhelming of hospitals. I've said this from day 1. Everyone will have to face the music. We are just kicking the can down the road. We close businesses for arbitrary reason but have done nothing to protect the old folks. Nothing.
1)I think it is a good point that treatments have improved. Thus it will not be as bad as it was in the NE. But it will still be bad. It could still be very bad.

As per kicking the can down the road? See your own point above. If we do this, and in the meantime we are able to improve treatments, the virus mutates weaker, or best of all we develop a vaccine, then kicking the can down the road is a positive move.

2)I don't think it's fair to say we've done nothing to protect old folks.

Did we make some decisions early on that led to a lot of deaths? Absolutely, have they done things differently since then, or in other areas of the country? Yes I think they have done that.

was Philly not including in the green phase that took effect today for all the surrounding counties that hadnt moved to green,
Apparently Philly itself is delaying a week. Here in Chester county we moved to green today. Had dinner outside at one of our favorite local spots tonight. Great night to be outside. Live music, nachos and margaritas, can't beat it. Most people wearing masks as they moved around and then taking them off at their tables. Restaurant took over part of their parking lot for outside tables. Of course we have been able to eat at restaurants outside for a couple of weeks now, but being such a beautiful night lots couldn't pass it up.

Reactions: Greg2020
1)I think it is a good point that treatments have improved. Thus it will not be as bad as it was in the NE. But it will still be bad. It could still be very bad.

As per kicking the can down the road? See your own point above. If we do this, and in the meantime we are able to improve treatments, the virus mutates weaker, or best of all we develop a vaccine, then kicking the can down the road is a positive move.

2)I don't think it's fair to say we've done nothing to protect old folks.

Did we make some decisions early on that led to a lot of deaths? Absolutely, have they done things differently since then, or in other areas of the country? Yes I think they have done that.
I agree and disagree on your second point mostly disagree. The NE, hell the world, knew very early on that older people were at the biggest risk even before it consumed the US. The focus than and now isn't much better. We are trying to save the masses but don't have the resources. From the start the focus and effort has been poor in that respect. The elderly were underserved and there was so much focus on universal solutions.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU-05
I agree with you through the kicking the can down the road statement. I don't agree that businesses overall are being closed for arbitrary reasons, nor do I believe that nothing has been done to protect old folks. My father is one of those old folks(down in FL) and he has been pretty much in 24 hour isolation for the last 3+ months. Thank goodness his memory was going before this all started otherwise I am sure he would be going nuts from boredom. He has probably read the same book about 5 times and is still enjoying it.....

Now could we have done a better job on deciding what can open and what couldn't, of course, but that is in hindsight and of course this is the gov we are talking about. We purposefully built our system of gov to be in-efficient, it is unreasonable to ask it to be.

why is California spiking big time

Record rises in Texas, Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Wyoming. It’s unfortunate that many of these states will have to implement restrictions after mostly opening back up. Fortunately we have a better idea of treatments. Masks make a difference too. We didn’t acknowledge that at beginning.

I agree and disagree on your second point mostly disagree. The NE, hell the world, knew very early on that older people were at the biggest risk even before it consumed the US. The focus than and now isn't much better. We are trying to save the masses but don't have the resources. From the start the focus and effort has been poor in that respect. The elderly were underserved and there was so much focus on universal solutions.
US in general underserves our elderly, this is just one example of that.

Also you can see that in action just in some of the posts here in this thread that advocate for the closures to be an overreaction because young/middle aged people aren't impacted greatly. Based on that pervasive attitude we shouldn't be surprised that our elders didn't receive quite the support they needed.

I agree with you through the kicking the can down the road statement. I don't agree that businesses overall are being closed for arbitrary reasons, nor do I believe that nothing has been done to protect old folks. My father is one of those old folks(down in FL) and he has been pretty much in 24 hour isolation for the last 3+ months. Thank goodness his memory was going before this all started otherwise I am sure he would be going nuts from boredom. He has probably read the same book about 5 times and is still enjoying it.....

Now could we have done a better job on deciding what can open and what couldn't, of course, but that is in hindsight and of course this is the gov we are talking about. We purposefully built our system of gov to be in-efficient, it is unreasonable to ask it to be.
Sorry to hear about your dad. I went through the same. At 65 his dementia began. He died at 70. It is an awful thing to watch a loved one forget who you are, complete loss of speech etc. I don't believe the hindsight point of your post. Before the first case in the US we knew the very high risk people were them. Yet the US nationally and states in particular focused on a total plan which was wrong from the start. Peace and strength to you. I can't offer any any magic phrases to make it easier for you. It just sucks. God bless.

Back to the original purpose of this thread, here are the vaccines that are in or about to go into Phase III human testing (i.e. testing in humans where the virus is circulating to prevent infection):

A vaccine in development by t
he British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. Supported by Operation Warp Speed, the project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.

After promising early testing, the state-owned Chinese company Sinopharm announced in June that it would be moving into Phase III trials. They reached an agreement with the United Arab Emirates to start testing the efficacy of an inactivated virus vaccine in the Gulf state.

The private Chinese company Sinovac Biotech is testing an inactivated vaccine called CoronaVac. On June 13 the company announced that Phase I/II trials on 743 volunteers found no severe adverse effects and produced an immune response. Sinovac is preparing Phase III trials in China and Brazil and is building a facility to manufacture up to 100 million doses annually.

The Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine was developed in the early 1900s as a protection against tuberculosis. The Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia is conducting a Phase III trial, and several other trials are underway to see if the vaccine partly protects against the coronavirus.

I am personally also rooting for the PittCoVac which is based on previously approved vaccines using attenuated viruses or virus components and is administered via skin patch, similar to the old Smallpox vaccine which used a skin based application. This vaccine is not yet in clinical trials but should be soon. Should be easy to scale up and administer.

I would highly recommend putting posters on ignore who are filling this thread with fake news, trolling, and political nonsense. That would really help to clean it up and refocus on scientific updates.

Dude keeps saying no one's explained it, lol.

We'd have to physically shove it in his nostril to make it any more obvious.

Explained, again and again and again.
Protests. Still going on. Right now. Zero social distancing.

Back to the original purpose of this thread, here are the vaccines that are in or about to go into Phase III human testing (i.e. testing in humans where the virus is circulating to prevent infection):

A vaccine in development by t
he British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. Supported by Operation Warp Speed, the project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.

After promising early testing, the state-owned Chinese company Sinopharm announced in June that it would be moving into Phase III trials. They reached an agreement with the United Arab Emirates to start testing the efficacy of an inactivated virus vaccine in the Gulf state.

The private Chinese company Sinovac Biotech is testing an inactivated vaccine called CoronaVac. On June 13 the company announced that Phase I/II trials on 743 volunteers found no severe adverse effects and produced an immune response. Sinovac is preparing Phase III trials in China and Brazil and is building a facility to manufacture up to 100 million doses annually.

The Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine was developed in the early 1900s as a protection against tuberculosis. The Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia is conducting a Phase III trial, and several other trials are underway to see if the vaccine partly protects against the coronavirus.

I am personally also rooting for the PittCoVac which is based on previously approved vaccines using attenuated viruses or virus components and is administered via skin patch, similar to the old Smallpox vaccine which used a skin based application. This vaccine is not yet in clinical trials but should be soon. Should be easy to scale up and administer.

I would highly recommend putting posters on ignore who are filling this thread with fake news, trolling, and political nonsense. That would really help to clean it up and refocus on scientific updates.

Nice summary. My money is on one of the Chinese vaccines.

Also on the edge of my seat for treatments, which should be ready by end of year....maybe some in the fall.

Reactions: Greg2020
Record rises in Texas, Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Wyoming. It’s unfortunate that many of these states will have to implement restrictions after mostly opening back up. Fortunately we have a better idea of treatments. Masks make a difference too. We didn’t acknowledge that at beginning.
You forgot Ca.

So I read an interesting thought by Fauci and his gang about pooling tests. Instead of testing individuals you take the samplings and mix them together 25 at time. If that sampling is negative than you can eliminate 25 people at a time. If it test positive than you do individual testing on that group. However it also points out that testing is severely lacking in the US

Article on another possible route of COVID infecting healthy cells. Besides the spike proteins they observe that it simulates the growth of filipodia (or tentacles) which some think help inject the virus into new cells but others aren’t so sure. But regardless they do think those tentacles help enhance viral replication somehow. Some cancer drugs thought to be possibly helpful because they inhibit the growth of those tentacles.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/inside-body-coronavirus-even-more-150022628.html

I think that deaths isn't the only thing that matters. Number of cases matters because those who become symptomatic, then progress to more serious cases but survive, have been shown to have long term health consequences. The more of these types of cases we have, the greater the toll on the healthcare system in the long run...even with an effective vaccine. In these cases, people's bodies are getting pushed to the limit, and there are things that broke. Lung function, brain damage, other cardiovascular damage... and that's just the stuff we know. That's why it's important to suppress the case count in as responsible a way as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT