ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/26/floridas-coronavirus-spike-5-things-to-know/

Detailed article from the Tampa Bay times about the virus spread in Florida. The most interesting part i think is that Floridians began decreasing social distancing before the phased reopenings. Interesting part is NJ and NY are following the same pattern but at a lag from Florida.
Riding my bike into work today I passed a cross fit gym that is outdoors, but a bunch of people there, some gathered in groups, none with masks.

Bars are similar, even worse when the indoors open.

You are right, we will be following the same pattern.

This is some good news for our area....hopefully it’s maintained to some degree.

From CNN:

Less than 1% of Covid-19 tests conducted in New York state on Friday were positive

New York state has reported that less than 1% of the people tested for Covid-19 were positive, according to data released by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Of the roughly 73,000 tests conducted Friday, .96% were positive, the governor’s office said in a release.

New York City’s positivity rate is at 1% for Friday – down from 1.4% reported the day prior.

The state added 703 Covid-19 cases, bringing the statewide total to 391,923.

“Today's numbers show a continued, steady decline in our hospitalization and death rates, and proves that a response based on science, not politics, is only way to defeat this virus,” Cuomo said. “While this is good news, New Yorkers cannot become complacent — we must continue to remain vigilant and smart in the fight against Covid-19. Wear a mask, socially distance — be New York tough"
That is great news for our area , NY and N.J. plus if you exclude NYC the rate is .91%. So the 5 regions of NY and maybe even 7 that are in Phase 3 with restaurants and bars open are not seeing a spike and it seems definitive now that the protests that were all over NYC , in all 5 boroughs , plus upstate in Buffalo and Syracuse , did not elevate the rate and those protesters, probably because most of them wore masks , did not increase or spread Covid. That should open up more things in NYC. Murphy is just a step behind. I cannot find the number of tests done per day on the N.J. dashboard like the NY one , so I cannot tell the exact rate , but NY tests daily and has 24 hour results. Still not sure N.J. does.

Reactions: Greg2020
A buddy of mine recently relocated out to AZ, and he was saying that the state started a massive and aggressive testing push into LTC facilities and other senior citizen communities in May. Any segmented stats on this to be found in media reporting? The link is confirm of the AZ testing surge in theses communities as an FYI.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ing-all-147-arizona-nursing-homes/3088611001/

A buddy of mine recently relocated out to AZ, and he was saying that the state started a massive and aggressive testing push into LTC facilities and other senior citizen communities in May. Any segmented stats on this to be found in media reporting? The link is confirm of the AZ testing surge in theses communities as an FYI.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ing-all-147-arizona-nursing-homes/3088611001/
I’m glad Arizona is finally testing LtC facilities. Of course, National media won’t mention this as reason for surge in cases.

Riding my bike into work today I passed a cross fit gym that is outdoors, but a bunch of people there, some gathered in groups, none with masks.

Bars are similar, even worse when the indoors open.

You are right, we will be following the same pattern.
Were they distanced by at least 6’?

Wrong . Ny had 13 deaths yesterday. This after being as high as 800 and bringing it all the way down. You comparison sucks because Texas and Florida never got hit the way NY did. Ny ‘s positivity rate is 1%., which is nothing short of remarkable. Get your facts straight and do an apples to apples comparison if you were honest. Such a silly misleading post .

Look at stats for under 65 - better chance of falling down the stairs. Data doesn’t lie.
True, but you do. So far, COVID deaths in those under 65, in less than 4 months, total about 25,000 (127K total dead, with ~20% of those under 65). Deaths from total falls in the last year available (2017) were 5000 in those under 65 (36.3K total). Last time I checked, 5000 is a little bit less than 25,000. And that's just over 4 months and the fall data is all falls, not falls down stairs, so the disparity will likely be at least 10:1 vs. the current 5:1 by the end of the year. You might want to research something the next time you decide to post. I really can't stand the amount of made up shit that gets tossed around on the internet.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf

I'm 44, so the lack of under 25 year old deaths doesn't exactly fill me with exuberance.
I've touched on this before but beyond death I'd not want any long term effects of the disease either which at this point is unknown. It's not just severe patients too, it's patients who don't end up in hospital but still have these debilitating effects.

From Reuters article I came across this morning.

While much of the focus has been on the minority of patients who experience severe disease, doctors increasingly are looking to the needs of patients who were not sick enough to require hospitalization, but are still suffering months after first becoming infected.

“We hear anecdotal reports of people who have persistent fatigue, shortness of breath,” Butler said. “How long that will last is hard to say.”

While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.

Salisbury said many of her patients have normal chest X-rays and no sign of inflammation, but they are still not back to normal.

“If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real,” she wrote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lth-problems-caused-by-covid-19-idUSKBN23X1BZ

True, but you do. So far, COVID deaths in those under 65, in less than 4 months, total about 25,000 (127K total dead, with ~20% of those under 65). Deaths from total falls in the last year available (2017) were 5000 in those under 65 (36.3K total). Last time I checked, 5000 is a little bit less than 25,000. And that's just over 4 months and the fall data is all falls, not falls down stairs, so the disparity will likely be at least 10:1 vs. the current 5:1 by the end of the year. You might want to research something the next time you decide to post. I really can't stand the amount of made up shit that gets tossed around on the internet.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf

Out of the 25,000 under 65, do we know how many of those had some condition where their immune system was compromised or other serious health conditions? Are these kinds of statistics being kept? I have not been able to find anything.

is this graph accurate, yes or no

EbdItZoWkAc_dkJ

Wrong . Ny had 13 deaths yesterday. This after being as high as 800 and bringing it all the way down. You comparison sucks because Texas and Florida never got hit the way NY did. Ny ‘s positivity rate is 1%., which is nothing short of remarkable. Get your facts straight and do an apples to apples comparison if you were honest. Such a silly misleading post .

LOLz, I'm not Steve.
You thought that was me?

His tweet was from yesterday, not today.

thanks...its funny that the media didnt report on it, first time I saw deaths were dropping so much the past month, thats why its tough to take politics out of this thread, when its clearly baked in on how the media presents., we can go back to the days of the protests and the narrative pushed that it was okay to go out (and back then they had no idea that cases would or wouldnt spike), they were just holding a different standard for rioters and protesters

so the media has taken the path that they will always report on the most negative news and never positive. In fact before the Trump rally its as if they stopped covering the coronavirus and once cases when up a bit they jumped back in.

interesting to see what happens next 2 weeks, the bottom line is that northeast and blue states still make up the majority of the top 10 daily deaths....we wouldnt know that from this thread or without searching into the numbers. The media is really gross at this point

Saw on sign on the Parkway heading in to work that said the testing center at the Art Center last day is Monday. Closing up shop.

Were they distanced by at least 6’?
The gym folk? Nah.

Not all in one big group. But multiple small groups.

I was feeling like @WhiteBus today with all the people roaming around the store with their noses out. Plus a guy who consistently comes in with the mask around his chin. Just a blantant eff off maneuver.

I see these numbers sky rocketing around the country and people just skimping by doing the bare minimum. It's frustrating.

thanks...its funny that the media didnt report on it, first time I saw deaths were dropping so much the past month, thats why its tough to take politics out of this thread, when its clearly baked in on how the media presents., we can go back to the days of the protests and the narrative pushed that it was okay to go out (and back then they had no idea that cases would or wouldnt spike), they were just holding a different standard for rioters and protesters

so the media has taken the path that they will always report on the most negative news and never positive. In fact before the Trump rally its as if they stopped covering the coronavirus and once cases when up a bit they jumped back in.

interesting to see what happens next 2 weeks, the bottom line is that northeast and blue states still make up the majority of the top 10 daily deaths....we wouldnt know that from this thread or without searching into the numbers. The media is really gross at this point
This sounds like the Horowitz article a couple weeks ago where he lambasted the media for spreading panic, and sites the recent AZ dashboard to show recent admissions were near zero, not realizing there is a lag in reporting.

Check back a couple weeks later and those days he cited were the highest to that point. Soon they won't be, with cases rising, hospitalizations will then rise soon after, and unfortunately deaths begin to rise soon after that.

Then Horowitz again pulls a similar gaffe a week later.

There is a lag in official reporting. It's a concept that you need to get a handle on.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/declining-death-rate-from-covid-19-in-hospitals-in-england/

This sounds like the Horowitz article a couple weeks ago where he lambasted the media for spreading panic, and sites the recent AZ dashboard to show recent admissions were near zero, not realizing there is a lag in reporting.

Check back a couple weeks later and those days he cited were the highest to that point. Soon they won't be, with cases rising, hospitalizations will then rise soon after, and unfortunately deaths begin to rise soon after that.

There is a lag in official reporting. It's a concept that you need to get a handle on.

thats great but lets not cheer for the blue states that they did so well which they didnt..with masks..as they are filling the top 10 deaths and cases..dont you see my point

all of sudden, the libs here and in the msm are shouting at the red states yet perhaps some self reflection...beyond the pale there was a thread laughing at SEC states and saying they are going to be why we dont play football in the fall..wow..embarrassing for those posters...ditto for cuomo who chided De Santis at the same time sent grandma to die nursing homes, you cant get around that and that is not political...very glossed over in this thread..very

thats great but lets not cheer for the blue states that they did so well which they didnt..with masks..as they are filling the top 10 deaths and cases..dont you see my point
There is not a NE state in the top 10 of new cases yesterday. NY is the only one in the top 10 today, but at less then 10% of Florida NJ is way down the list yesterday and today.

Deaths? Yes but see above.

There’s big $$$$ going into the negative news... what gets more hits... more reads... more discussions going? That’s right... negative , shock news, news that will cause seniors over 65... people with a weight problem , HBP, pulmonary/ heart issues to panic...if we did not listen to all the BS MSM we would be ok... most of the mask issues where elevated by incorrect info filtered down from the task force ...we’ll see about the “ lag death rates “ very soon ... if they don’t follow the NY- NJ scenario well what’s the reason going to be?

Reactions: Knight177lb

all of sudden, the libs here and in the msm are shouting at the red states yet perhaps some self reflection...beyond the pale there was a thread laughing at SEC states and saying they are going to be why we dont play football in the fall..wow..embarrassing for those posters...ditto for cuomo who chided De Santis at the same time sent grandma to die nursing homes, you cant get around that and that is not political...very glossed over in this thread..very
Should FL, TX, CA, AZ be concerned and tighten things up, or no? Forget the media coverage, in your opinion, should they stay open or should they tighten restrictions?

Just to be clear, that AZ dashboard in the first Horowitz article did turn out to be invalid but the rest of his article was pretty spot on re: first hand sources describing the reasons for case increases. As for that specific chart and its lag in reporting, I don't recall any media reporting about such lags at the time. And importantly, it's still kinda difficult to understand how and why there would be 1-2 week lags in reporting such vital information in this era of high tech medical recordkeeping and high speed telecommunications, imo.

There is not a NE state in the top 10 of new cases yesterday. NY is the only one in the top 10 today, but at less then 10% of Florida NJ is way down the list yesterday and today.

Deaths? Yes but see above.

cases are not death, we are testing alot now...moving goalposts, i am not saying that they arent spiking in some areas, i just find the coverage of it to be entirely poltical and negative at this point...was this how they were covering the horrific number of cases in ny and nj...absolutely not, they werent blaming people for not wearing masks and not social distancing

Should FL, TX, CA, AZ be concerned and tighten things up, or no? Forget the media coverage, in your opinion, should they stay open or should they tighten restrictions?

might need to tighten things up a bit...yes, but bottom line is everyone has to open, people seem oblivious that this isnt going to go away and the new normal will have plenty of cases and deaths as well

There’s big $$$$ going into the negative news... what gets more hits... more reads... more discussions going? That’s right... negative , shock news, news that will cause seniors over 65... people with a weight problem , HBP, pulmonary/ heart issues to panic...if we did not listen to all the BS MSM we would be ok... most of the mask issues where elevated by incorrect info filtered down from the task force ...we’ll see about the “ lag death rates “ very soon ... if they don’t follow the NY- NJ scenario well what’s the reason going to be?

that the health community wrote papers saying that it was IMPORTANT for people to protest superceding coronavirus spread says it all,

my thing on CE has always been about hypocrisy and we are seeing it here with coverage of coronavirus

I've touched on this before but beyond death I'd not want any long term effects of the disease either which at this point is unknown. It's not just severe patients too, it's patients who don't end up in hospital but still have these debilitating effects.

From Reuters article I came across this morning.

While much of the focus has been on the minority of patients who experience severe disease, doctors increasingly are looking to the needs of patients who were not sick enough to require hospitalization, but are still suffering months after first becoming infected.

“We hear anecdotal reports of people who have persistent fatigue, shortness of breath,” Butler said. “How long that will last is hard to say.”

While coronavirus symptoms typically resolve in two or three weeks, an estimated 1 in 10 experience prolonged symptoms, Dr. Helen Salisbury of the University of Oxford wrote in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday.

Salisbury said many of her patients have normal chest X-rays and no sign of inflammation, but they are still not back to normal.

“If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real,” she wrote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lth-problems-caused-by-covid-19-idUSKBN23X1BZ
This was an older guy, 60ish, and he had it in Febuary, says he still can't go to the bathroom without feeling out of breath.

cases are not death, we are testing alot now...moving goalposts, i am not saying that they arent spiking in some areas, i just find the coverage of it to be entirely poltical and negative at this point...was this how they were covering the horrific number of cases in ny and nj...absolutely not, they werent blaming people for not wearing masks and not social distancing
1)You said cases, that was your point about masks no? New cases?

2)I really don't watch the media. I agree they suck(and this does go both ways).

I check worldometer, I check the states dashboard.

The media at a minimum need more balance in its reporting during this crisis and provide real and substantive coverage on the horrific societal consequences of this economic shutdown like suicides, depression, addictions, family traumas, crime, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT