ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article on another possible route of COVID infecting healthy cells. Besides the spike proteins they observe that it simulates the growth of filipodia (or tentacles) which some think help inject the virus into new cells but others aren’t so sure. But regardless they do think those tentacles help enhance viral replication somehow. Some cancer drugs thought to be possibly helpful because they inhibit the growth of those tentacles.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/inside-body-coronavirus-even-more-150022628.html

This is a very rare phenomena for a virus and not typical of a coronavirus. The only other one I’ve heard of that does this is smallpox and its apparently not as effective as SARS-cov-2

Sadly this is not a surprise to anyone who has been reading posts like this in this thread, but the US had over 30K new cases today, the most in over 6 weeks and the states of Florida, California, Arizona, Nevada, and South Carolina all hit record highs for the pandemic and Texas was just barely below its record high from yesterday.

Deaths are not up yet, but deaths lag cases by 1-2 weeks at least, although there is also some indication that treatments are improving and death rates per cases may be decreasing, but hospitalization rates will likely be unaffected.

Also, by having much more testing in place than we did when the NE US was hit so hard in mid-March, it's unlikely we'll see the kind of explosive exponential growth we saw back then, but these numbers are very concerning and these states need to start thinking about mandatory mask-wearing and possibly restricting activities again if rates continue to rise.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/20/us-reports-his-number-of-daily-coronavirus-cases-since-may-1.html

And record cases, from about 4000/day for a bit up to 5500 on Monday and 6500 today - pretty big jumps, which is why Gov Newsome instituted mandatory mask requirements in public. Finally a Gov in a state with a growing outbreak who gets it. It should be required for the whole damn country.

M1,

There is an interesting political thing that seems to be going on here. California has been hitting new case highs almost daily basically tracking what's happening in Arizona, Texas and Florida, but California is not mentioned and it even did not make the list of states in Murphy's ban. And it isn't talked about in this thread, the other day California had more new cases than Texas, but only Texas was mentioned. Texas's Gov was called a moron, but nothing about Newsom. I bet some suspect that criticism is being aimed at Red state gov and not a Blue state gov.

I think maybe you haven't been paying attention. I've discussed California a few times, but at least CA is taking significant action to try to address the rapidly growing number of cases by requiring masks in public, which ought to be done nationwide.

Anyway, back to analyzing the virus in several states. The graphic below (thanks @TroothSkr!) really shows well the relative trajectories of the outbreak in 5 of the states doing the worst right now, FL, TX, CA, GA, and AZ, which are all spiking at record numbers of cases (shown graphically as a 7-day moving average vs. that state's previous single day high) and all have key areas that are showing exponential growth, meaning we're likely to see these peaks continue to accelerate even if interventions are done today - but they're not generally speaking, although significant numbers of people in these states are wearing masks and staying at home, so my hope is their peaks won't be as exponential as they were in the NE US and especially in NY/NJ. I put NY/NJ on the graph also, just to show what our trajectory was and the growth rates in these 5 states show a lot of similarity, although the rate of rise is not quite as high. Yet.

We're also now seeing hospitalizations rising rapidly in those 5 states, which happens about a week or so after cases start jumping. And deaths are likely to start growing very soon in these states, if they follow the same trajectory as NY/NJ (NY is shown below and it's almost identical to NJ). In NY, cases started really climbing around 3/12, when testing started really being widely available; however cases were actually peaking much earlier but that wasn't being measured, but one can see the shape of the curve would've shown the peak starting maybe 3/4 to 3/8, if there had been testing, peaking about 3 weeks later around early April. However, deaths didn't really start to rise rapidly until about 3/24 about 2-3 weeks after cases started rising rapidly (depending on when the start in case rise was).

If we then look at the shape of the case curves in the 5 states on the first graph, we see cases starting to rise more rapidly in the 6/13-6/17 timeframe, which would mean that we might start to see deaths rise 2-3 weeks after that, i.e., somewhere around 6/27 to 7/1 (if 2 weeks after) or even 7/4 to 7/8 if 3 weeks after. The early NY data is so sparse it makes an exact analysis difficult to do. For me, I'd be very surprised if we don't see death rates in these 5 states starting to rise at least moderately to even rapidly sometime during the first ten days in July, i.e., it's not a surprise to me that we've only seen, at most, minor rises in deaths in these states so far.

And, as I've said previously, I'd expect the death rate rises to be muted a bit vs. NY/NJ, since we are doing better with medical procedures and now have some at least moderately effective treatments (dexamethasone, tocilizumab, remdesivir and convalescent plasma). We'll see how it plays out, but if anyone is curious, I predicted we would follow Italy's trajectory on cases/deaths as cases were rising and ~2 weeks before deaths did.

Edit: I added a 3rd graphic which just came out on worldometers, showing that the US smashed its record number of cases from just yesterday (40K), reaching 47,000 cases on Friday, way higher than the 39,000 cases we saw during the initial peak in April. This is not good folks, despite what people may have heard from Pence today.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...rventions-and-more.191275/page-6#post-4440582

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.191275/page-11#post-4447909

https://covidbystate.org/?fbclid=Iw...ipEBSVFTKMw2GFInbaPF_ms#/NJ-NY-TX-FL-AZ-CA-GA

GLdpzcb.png

https://covidly.com/graph?country=United States&state=New York#new

REfw3Fo.png

eSKKu2I.png

Last edited:
So I read an interesting thought by Fauci and his gang about pooling tests. Instead of testing individuals you take the samplings and mix them together 25 at time. If that sampling is negative than you can eliminate 25 people at a time. If it test positive than you do individual testing on that group. However it also points out that testing is severely lacking in the US
That’s how we do drug testing at work.

Numbers do you have an email chain where you're discussing this like you do with the weather? Would love to get on it. This thread was one of the first places I'd look for new info on the virus but over the last few weeks I can't even keep up. It's out of control.
Thanks. I post almost identical info on 2 other boards and on my Facebook page, which is public. One of the other boards is 33andrain, a weather board I post weather stuff on that has a general COVID "science" thread and they moderate it pretty heavily to prevent what's happening here, so my only posts there are the informational posts for the most part (I'm also RU848789 over there). Same thing on FB, where there's very little bickering. If this thread ever gets shut down, I'll likely share my FB page; might even anyway, since I can at least weed out troll comments there (although I might get 1 a week and I have conservative/Trump-supporting friends - people are just friendlier when a place isn't anonymous, in my experience).

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/194...cases-400k-deaths-confirmed/page/15/#comments

Dammit. You are right #'s. This was an incredibly useful thread for me to hear intelligent people discuss a crisis that most of us have not seen before nor even contemplated. I don't consider it gospel, however, it provides links and (originally) intelligent reasoning that gave
me ideas and inspired me to research other ideas I might not have thought of on my own. Shit, isn't this the reason we decided to go to college and our beloved RU in the first place?
(Although it is a completely different subject, I wish we could identify who actually went to Rutgers that are posting on this board. I would like to identify in my own mind the one's I am embarrassed attended my school). I fully expect to be crucified for this post. Why can't supposedly intelligent people (RU graduates?) have the self control to keep the political shit off this valuable thread? I only recently joined Twitter so that I could get certain real time information for myself, rather than any media interpretation. I learned that, for example, you can click on Trump's thread and there will be many thousands of responses to every comment made by him, both positive and negative. Vent there. I was never a participant in the "CE thread". If that is what is happening now, please go away before another potentially valuable thread for the Rutgers community gets shut down because of a few emotionally challenged who cannot control themselves. And for godsakes, if you are an admitted troll, please **** off and seek professional treatment for your psychological problems.
I do not know you "Numbers", but thank you for your efforts and please keep hanging in there with this thread until we get through this crisis. I am no attention seeker, and rarely post. However, this bullshit is screwing up a good thread and pissing me off.

Moderators, I hope this doesn't get me banned, but where are you?
Thanks. I believe you represent the large silent majority, but unfortunately it only takes a few to drive a thread downhill.

@RU848789 I'm committed to starting with a clean slate here but you really need to call out the first offenders like "Greg".
Thanks. He was on the list. Not everybody on that list was "derailing" things at similar levels (and any attempt to allocate level of derailing will only be derailing, lol), but I saw posts from all of them (including you and me) that really weren't productive and everyone on that list was a CE board regular - and while Greg and I are more "aligned" on politics, he's almost certainly "formerly" who was a regular too.

Actually, I generally had zero issue with your posts we debated several days ago - we disagreed, but I thought we both at least tried to use logic and sources to convince the other. If not for the fear of having this thread shut down, I would welcome the opportunity to debate more on the topics we were discussing and we could have done that on a CE board or another thread, but I knew they would detract from this thread - it's why I hesitate every time I bring up Trump and only do it once in awhile, but it's kind of hard not to occasionally, since he is the POTUS and he has an impact on how we're doing on COVID (not well).

how do you know..its not like they are allowed to ask...special privileges

anyhow the northeast didnt see the spike from protestors because maybe coronavirus has been beaten back down here while it was still active in other places. Just throwing that out there, not all riots and protests were the same.

the fact was we were always going to have spikes to deal with, the whole idea originally was to flatten the curve, now apparently its to make sure there are no cases anymore

we are going to have to deal with this Wuhan Flu, it isnt going away, the last few weeks tells us that. We have only been shut down for 3 months, imagine another 9 months....the dam will break in many facets of life

Please take a look at the paper I posted yesterday showing the protests were actually shown to be correlated to decreases in cases due to their effect on non-protesters actually increasing their social distancing (staying at home), plus the fact that at least 50% were generally wearing masks (and definitely more in NYC/NE US).

Just to elaborate on the protest part...I was very concerned that the protests would lead to spikes in COVID cases, but once I saw generally at least half (or more in many cases) of protesters were wearing masks (although I wished everyone wore masks), I predicted minor, at most, spikes in cases. It looks like this has turned out to be correct, but the outcome is likely more due to the impact of the protests on non-protesters (although certainly mask-wearing played a role). The paper actually shows that net distancing increased (more protesters in urban areas, but less non-protesters than usual for a variety of reasons, including concerns over violence and/or COVID) and no apparent COVID spikes have been observed in these urban counties/cities over the 3+ weeks following the start of the protests (and one would expect case spikes within 7 days). It's not clear whether there were any spikes within the protester population itself, however, as that would likely be too fine of a population to profile accurately. Abstract is below and tons more in the paper.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

ABSTRACT: Sparked by the killing of George Floyd in police custody, the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests have brought a new wave of attention to the issue of inequality within criminal justice. However, many public health officials have warned that mass protests could lead to a reduction in social distancing behavior, spurring a resurgence of COVID-19. This study uses newly collected data on protests in 315 of the largest U.S. cities to estimate the impacts of mass protests on social distancing and COVID-19 case growth. Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that nonprotesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset. We conclude that predictions of broad negative public health consequences of Black Lives Matter protests were far too narrowly conceived.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU23
Is this all some sort of protest to get the CE board back open?

I'm in favor.
It's a combination of that, plus the right wing guys don't like me, because I lean a little left (some call me a commie, but it's tough to be a commie when one is in the top 1-2%, lol) and have argued hard with them on the CE board. I'd rather have a CE board too, but we don't and we're not going to (I've talked to Richie about it and it's done, over), so I'm just hoping to try to convince folks to ease up a bit. That's also why I was self-critical, too, since I've made some unnecessary posts. Maybe it'll get better, maybe not.

Reactions: bossnj1
Back to the original purpose of this thread, here are the vaccines that are in or about to go into Phase III human testing (i.e. testing in humans where the virus is circulating to prevent infection):

A vaccine in development by t
he British-Swedish company AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford is based on a chimpanzee adenovirus called ChAdOx1. The vaccine is in a Phase II/III trial in England and Phase III trials in Brazil and South Africa. Supported by Operation Warp Speed, the project may deliver emergency vaccines by October. In June, AstraZeneca said their total manufacturing capacity stands at two billion doses.

After promising early testing, the state-owned Chinese company Sinopharm announced in June that it would be moving into Phase III trials. They reached an agreement with the United Arab Emirates to start testing the efficacy of an inactivated virus vaccine in the Gulf state.

The private Chinese company Sinovac Biotech is testing an inactivated vaccine called CoronaVac. On June 13 the company announced that Phase I/II trials on 743 volunteers found no severe adverse effects and produced an immune response. Sinovac is preparing Phase III trials in China and Brazil and is building a facility to manufacture up to 100 million doses annually.

The Bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine was developed in the early 1900s as a protection against tuberculosis. The Murdoch Children’s Research Institute in Australia is conducting a Phase III trial, and several other trials are underway to see if the vaccine partly protects against the coronavirus.

I am personally also rooting for the PittCoVac which is based on previously approved vaccines using attenuated viruses or virus components and is administered via skin patch, similar to the old Smallpox vaccine which used a skin based application. This vaccine is not yet in clinical trials but should be soon. Should be easy to scale up and administer.

I would highly recommend putting posters on ignore who are filling this thread with fake news, trolling, and political nonsense. That would really help to clean it up and refocus on scientific updates.

Nice update thanks. I think the Oxford/AZ adenovirus-based vaccine will be first or maybe one of the Chinese weakened/deactivated (old school, should work) virus vaccines.

I also thought this article from Derek Lowe's blog in Science Translational Medicine was an interesting read - he does regular vaccine updates, which I usually share, but this has a different slant. He called it "Vaccine Derangement" (VDS, lol) and it explores all the nutty reasons why so many people don't trust vaccines from the debunked autism fears (still rampant) to those who fear "Big Science," Bill Gates and probably masks to those who fear RNA/DNA-based vaccines and what they might do to us and more. The excerpt below summarizes the big picture well, IMO.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/25/vaccine-derangement

Before concluding this depressing tour, I need to note that this area has long been a playground for propaganda of all sorts. There are a lot of people – who range, in my view, from misinformed through stupid all the way to deranged – who honestly believe the views mentioned above and promote them vigorously. And there are other groups, both inside and outside the countries involved, who don’t give a damn about vaccines one way or another but see this as an excellent (and inexpensive) way to sow fear and confusion for their own benefit. There is evidence of weaponized anti-vaccine propaganda in the last few years, so there are reasonable chances that some of the social media rantings you see about these subjects have been started or exacerbated by such actions.

Reactions: Greg2020
If we go day by day I don't think Johns Hopkins is accurate in terms of actual tests per day.

Over the last 5 days these are the #'s reported.

3000 cases 18,200 tests
3300 cases 23,300 tests
5500 cases 27,600 tests
5000 cases 58,300 tests
8900 cases 48,200 tests

The unevenness of those results suggest that the test #'s are not precisely being allocated to a specific day. I don't think that is on Johns Hopkins, I think it has more to do with how FL is getting the data out(not a criticism most states have shown very uneven reporting), but this is what makes the rolling average so important. If you looked at just 3 days ago you would think FL is over 25%, if you looked at just 2 days ago you would think they are under 10%.

As of this morning FL's 7 day rolling average positivity rate is 14%.

Also note, I think I heard a FL health care pro say they tested 89K yesterday. Which would make some sense given that new case #. And I think that would be positive news on 2 fronts, 1)that most recent jump in new cases would not be as indicative of rapidly increasing spread, and maybe more importantly 2)FL is ramping up testing. Another sign that they are taking this more seriously.

Last edited:
25% of cases in CA in last two weeks
25% of cases in FL in last 6 days.
25% of cases in TX in last 8 days
25% of cases in AZ in last 6 days
25% of cases in OR in last 10 days
25% of cases in GA in last 2 weeks
25% of cases in NC in last 12 days
25% of cases in TN in last 12 days
25% of case in OK in last 9 days

Sorry, but while CA is bad, it is unfortunately far from the worst.
He needs to keep harping on the few blue states on that list to make himself feel better.

When are the Leronlimab studies due? Feels like we’ve been waiting forever.
The mild / moderate trial just finished either the 25th or the 26th. The severe / critical interim results are supposed to conclude June 28. Company has said that the first 51 patients enrolled in that trial , which was done on June 1,, would have interim results in 28 days and full results by July 12. Based on what I have read, data will be collected , organized and delivered to the FDA within a week or 10 days thereafter.

So I read an interesting thought by Fauci and his gang about pooling tests. Instead of testing individuals you take the samplings and mix them together 25 at time. If that sampling is negative than you can eliminate 25 people at a time. If it test positive than you do individual testing on that group. However it also points out that testing is severely lacking in the US

NBA was considering this - not sure if they are doing it.
I heard about the concept a couple weeks ago.

Wilmington,NC where I live is one of the sites picked for clinical trials for a vaccine. They are calling for volunteers for phase 3 trials. My daughter in law is eligible to participate as she is in the service industry. Any opinions on whether or not she should participate would be appreciated. Thanks

Wilmington,NC where I live is one of the sites picked for clinical trials for a vaccine. They are calling for volunteers for phase 3 trials. My daughter in law is eligible to participate as she is in the service industry. Any opinions on whether or not she should participate would be appreciated. Thanks
Im far from an expert but it sounds like one of those things where I'd encourage a stranger to do it, but I wouldn't do it lol.

Great new study and article in Nature , that concludes that blocking of the CCr1 and CCR5 pathways will likely calm the Covid cytokines storm, which corroborates Dr. Bruce Patterson’s paper that states Leronlimab does just that and reduces Rantes levels which were found 100 x elevated in severe/ critical patients.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-020-0602-4.epdf?sharing_token=mBMqIDcJJOb4LHG5RBjF59RgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0PHPtPWd9_Nie3YPQMhmTB_PTt_Fgqf1jmxPi0uslEb9cuQtTdASL1oT32coMF5e8HrVgzkdMi_oNEDP5q4lgGb92dTgbF7hNwaXUX2_T2Bzn_79aFNnN5MPMvPmAFoPXE=

Excellent article, clearly showing the potential for targeting CCR1/CCR5. Thanks. Let's hope leronlimab's ongoing trials bear fruit.

CCR1, CCR2 and CCR5 might represent promising anti-inflammatory targets in COVID-19. Targeting the CCR2/CCL2 axis has been introduced in HIV and other viral infections53. However, we did not observe CCR2 expression in the respiratory tract of patients with COVID-19 (presumably because of its rapid downregulation in monocytes as they exit the bloodstream and enter tissues; Extended Data Fig. 7), leaving CCR1 and/or CCR5 as potential therapeutic targets.

Another non expert here but among the things I'd consider is who the manufacturer is. I'd be fearful of a Chinese vaccine but would trust Johnson and Johnson's or other US / European large pharmaceutical companies.

I have the same concerns, given their track record with vaccine safety/efficacy, as per the post below, which is why I'd want full data transparency for any vaccine from China.

China intends to share any successful vaccine with the world - they're clearly trying to usurp the US's long-time position as world leader on efforts like this and, frankly, are doing better at it than we are, as the US has withdrawn from the world stage with regard to vaccines, cooperation on virus research in China and funding the WHO. We're starting to look like a petulant child internationally, instead of the confident, altruistic leader we've been for generations.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/07/c_139121625.htm

On the flip side, China has a very checkered history with pharmaceutical products, including vaccines, although the vaccine problems have mostly been internal to China, since much of the rest of the world only trusts them to do earlier chemistries/processing and not as much on final drug products and especially vaccines. Below is an excerpt on the quality/business issues a couple of the Chinese vaccine manufacturers had. So, yeah, I'd want to any vaccine they produce that might be marketed here to have completely transparent safety/efficacy data.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/business/coronavirus-china-vaccine.html

The Wuhan institute was involved in a 2018 scandal in which defective vaccines for diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and other conditions were injected into hundreds of thousands of babies. China imposed a $1.3 billion fine on another virus maker involved, Changchun Changsheng. The scandal led to the firing of dozens of officials and pledges of a swift industry cleanup.

Sinovac Biotech had also been involved in a bribery scandal, according to court documents. From 2002 to 2014, a court in Beijing said, the general manager of Sinovac Biotech gave China’s deputy director in charge of drug evaluations nearly $50,000 to help the firm with drug approvals. Sinovac was not charged.

Record rises in Texas, Florida, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Wyoming. It’s unfortunate that many of these states will have to implement restrictions after mostly opening back up. Fortunately we have a better idea of treatments. Masks make a difference too. We didn’t acknowledge that at beginning.
Have you ever been to Wyoming? The population is around 580 k ... there have been 1368 cases in the state with 20 deaths... 500 of those cases have been in Casper ( the capital city) and the Riverton area which is practically right next door ... that type of stat is very misleading...suggest you google a few of the others. BTW Casper is an area known for financial banking ... oh and it is about 20 times the size of NJ.

Last edited:
Excellent article in the Times (which includes links to the primary research articles discussed) on the complexity of the coronavirus's impacts on the immune system, particularly on virus-fighting T-cells, which could be why effects in children are lessened, since the thymus gland, which produces new T-cells, is much more robust, typically, in children than in older adults.

Now researchers have discovered yet another unpleasant surprise. In many patients hospitalized with the coronavirus, the immune system is threatened by a depletion of certain essential cells, suggesting eerie parallels with H.I.V.

The findings suggest that a popular treatment to tamp down the immune system in severely ill patients may help a few, but could harm many others. The research offers clues about why very few children get sick when they are infected, and hints that a cocktail of drugs may be needed to bring the coronavirus under control, as is the case with H.I.V.

In May, Dr. Wherry and his colleagues posted online a paper showing a range of immune system defects in severely ill patients, including a loss of virus-fighting T cells in parts of the body.

In a separate study, the investigators identified three patterns of immune defects, and concluded that T cells and B cells, which help orchestrate the immune response, were inactive in roughly 30 percent of the 71 Covid-19 patients they examined. None of the papers have yet been published or peer reviewed.

Researchers in China have reported a similar depletion of T cells in critically ill patients, Dr. Wherry noted. But the emerging data could be difficult to interpret, he said — “like a Rorschach test.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/health/coronavirus-immune-system.html

Find out which vaccine it is.

This is some good news for our area....hopefully it’s maintained to some degree.

From CNN:

Less than 1% of Covid-19 tests conducted in New York state on Friday were positive

New York state has reported that less than 1% of the people tested for Covid-19 were positive, according to data released by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Of the roughly 73,000 tests conducted Friday, .96% were positive, the governor’s office said in a release.

New York City’s positivity rate is at 1% for Friday – down from 1.4% reported the day prior.

The state added 703 Covid-19 cases, bringing the statewide total to 391,923.

“Today's numbers show a continued, steady decline in our hospitalization and death rates, and proves that a response based on science, not politics, is only way to defeat this virus,” Cuomo said. “While this is good news, New Yorkers cannot become complacent — we must continue to remain vigilant and smart in the fight against Covid-19. Wear a mask, socially distance — be New York tough"

This is some good news for our area....hopefully it’s maintained to some degree.

From CNN:

Less than 1% of Covid-19 tests conducted in New York state on Friday were positive

New York state has reported that less than 1% of the people tested for Covid-19 were positive, according to data released by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

Of the roughly 73,000 tests conducted Friday, .96% were positive, the governor’s office said in a release.

New York City’s positivity rate is at 1% for Friday – down from 1.4% reported the day prior.

“Today's numbers show a continued, steady decline in our hospitalization and death rates, and proves that a response based on science, not politics, is only way to defeat this virus,” Cuomo said. “While this is good news, New Yorkers cannot become complacent — we must continue to remain vigilant and smart in the fight against Covid-19. Wear a mask, socially distance — be New York tough"

Test results are released in less than 24 hours?

Gyms reopen in my state today.
Excellent article in the Times (which includes links to the primary research articles discussed) on the complexity of the coronavirus's impacts on the immune system, particularly on virus-fighting T-cells, which could be why effects in children are lessened, since the thymus gland, which produces new T-cells, is much more robust, typically, in children than in older adults.

Now researchers have discovered yet another unpleasant surprise. In many patients hospitalized with the coronavirus, the immune system is threatened by a depletion of certain essential cells, suggesting eerie parallels with H.I.V.

The findings suggest that a popular treatment to tamp down the immune system in severely ill patients may help a few, but could harm many others. The research offers clues about why very few children get sick when they are infected, and hints that a cocktail of drugs may be needed to bring the coronavirus under control, as is the case with H.I.V.

In May, Dr. Wherry and his colleagues posted online a paper showing a range of immune system defects in severely ill patients, including a loss of virus-fighting T cells in parts of the body.

In a separate study, the investigators identified three patterns of immune defects, and concluded that T cells and B cells, which help orchestrate the immune response, were inactive in roughly 30 percent of the 71 Covid-19 patients they examined. None of the papers have yet been published or peer reviewed.

Researchers in China have reported a similar depletion of T cells in critically ill patients, Dr. Wherry noted. But the emerging data could be difficult to interpret, he said — “like a Rorschach test.”

So a disproportionate immune response might kill a critically ill patient, but they fell critically ill because their immune system was turned off by the virus — is that the right way to think about this?

Or is it: you may die from a disproportionate immune response, or you may die from immune system being turned off?

Last interpretation: parts of your immune system will respond disproportionately, possibly killing a patient, but key-virus fighting components of the immune system have already been shut off by the virus.

From CNN:

Hey Cuomo we are not defeating the virus without meds or a vaccine... It just isn’t going to happen but maybe steroidal treatments ? ...Lord knows your bro Chris knows about steroids... it’s not about being tough ; it’s about using common sense... protect the most vulnerable of the populous... continue to develope plans to keep the economy open which can be done if leaders are willing to adjust as things change... not everyone is going to die ... that was pretty much what we were being told not by the science community but the people in the media.

Modern’s type of vaccine (mRNA) is new and these types of vaccines have just started to be tested in humans the past few years. None exist yet, although I think several are in trial for other viruses. I think mRNA has started to be used against cancers though.

I don’t know much. I’d prob want a doctor to chime in and explain why this type of vaccine is harmless, even if it doesn’t work, and why it won’t give me cancer in 10 years.

Last edited:
Thanks. He was on the list. Not everybody on that list was "derailing" things at similar levels (and any attempt to allocate level of derailing will only be derailing, lol), but I saw posts from all of them (including you and me) that really weren't productive and everyone on that list was a CE board regular - and while Greg and I are more "aligned" on politics, he's almost certainly "formerly" who was a regular too.

Actually, I generally had zero issue with your posts we debated several days ago - we disagreed, but I thought we both at least tried to use logic and sources to convince the other. If not for the fear of having this thread shut down, I would welcome the opportunity to debate more on the topics we were discussing and we could have done that on a CE board or another thread, but I knew they would detract from this thread - it's why I hesitate every time I bring up Trump and only do it once in awhile, but it's kind of hard not to occasionally, since he is the POTUS and he has an impact on how we're doing on COVID (not well).
While I agree it's hard to not bring up POTUS during this COVID crisis, we'll probably never agree about his handling of the situation. It's very easy with 20/20 hindsight to find fault with our preparation and initial response, but the killer was the testing kit failure at the CDC lab, almost certainly exacerbated by what still seems to be a lack of consensus among career US health officials on understanding the new virus. Fauci and Birx both acknowledged the latter.

However the Admin's response since, say mid-March, deserves a lot of credit whether you want to give it to the task force with or without Trump. The only country "stats" to consider grading against are the major western and more multi-cultural democracies--let's start with G-7s plus Mex, Brazil, etc. Considering that not even these somewhat comparable countries had the massive international travel numbers right at the worst possible time--the Nov/Dec holidays--the US death and fatality rates are very respectable, again comparably. Factor in that more than 40% of US deaths are in the LTC system managed at the state level, it really does look like politics are driving the withering criticism of Trump.

They call it an "unpleasant surprise", I think that's looking at it with a mind frame that the glass is half empty, but wouldn't this be good news finding out why children are more protected (glass half full)?

Reactions: bac2therac
Modern’s type of vaccine (mRNA) is new and these types of vaccines have just started to be tested in humans the past few years. None exist yet, although I think several are in trial for other viruses. I think mRNA has started to ben used against cancers though.

I don’t know much though. I’d prob want a doctor to chime in and explain why this type of vaccine is harmless, even if it doesn’t work, and why it won’t give me cancer in 10 years.

Thanks for the response, appreciate the info, thinking she should at the very least check with her MD, I’m sure she has, she is an RU grad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT