ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I posted this a few days ago, but apparently not. Slow enrollment in randomized, controlled clinical trials (RCTs) has been delaying results for many potential new treatments. The enrollment issue is partly due to the shifting locations of where outbreaks are greatest (hard to enroll in NYC now with very few patients) and partly due to patients not wanting to possibly get "placebo" or "standard of care" as a comparator. It's why Regeneron, Lilly and others have pushed their expected results back by at least a month for their engineered antibody drugs - originally, we were expecting an early phase III read from Regeneron by the end of August and now that's the end of September and it could slip more. This may also impact vaccine timelines, although hopefully not as much, since those volunteers aren't infected yet, so they're not "missing" getting treatment.

Details from Phase 1/2 of the Pfizer vaccine was released today. Pfizer had 2 candidates they were testing. They previously released data of the one they didn’t pick, this time it’s the detail of the one they are moving forward with. This candidate is more safe and should be more effective, so I guess that’s why they picked this.

@RU848789 Your boy Derek Lowe just wrote a piece on it too

Yes, I was just reading it and about to post about it when I saw your post. Below are links to Lowe's In The Pipeline blog on this and to the preprint of the Pfizer/BioNTech paper. The candidate they chose clearly has a better side effect/safety profile, but I wouldn't say it has a better profile for raising antibodies (responses in the two candidates were very similar) and they provided no data on T-cell responses (although they said they will soon), plus we truly know nothing about actual "efficacy" for any of these vaccines yet, which will only come from phase III large scale trial results - all we have our efficacy "guesses" based on immune responses from each vaccine. An excerpt from Lowe's blog is below: I liked his use of "immunological Woodstock" in describing the incredibly huge, varied, and unpredictable landscape of trials and results we're going to be hit with.

But what I look forward to the most is seeing how all of these Phase I profiles translate to the real world of protection from the damned coronavirus. We’re going to learn more about immunological correlates more quickly than we have ever learned for any pathogen before. There are so many different platforms in trials now, each with their differences, and we will be getting piles of data in rapid succession from trials of tens of thousands of people all over the world. No one would have ever set up such a gigantic experimental landscape under non-emergency conditions; from the clinical perspective it’s an unprecedented immunological Woodstock.

And we’re going to have to get prepared for it. There are several believable outcomes (good, bad, and just plain mixed) that I don’t think that the general public has anticipated, and those will be the subject of a coming post!

Proud of where I live!

We have indoor dining. Stores open. As normal as can be here in the times we live. Hogan has done a very solid job in maryland. Bringing Dr. Scott Gottlieb to be his "go to guy" on Covid was a very shrewd move.

To counter the one sided biased narrative posted here every day

What are the sides here?

There’s a virus, it is dangerous for a lot of Americans. It originated in China, and began infecting Americans in late-January 2020 (though the extent of its presence didn’t come fully into view until mid-March).

Seeing policy adaptations between March and now, this much is clear: the most effective precaution to save lives is shutting down society to avoid social contact, but this is economically disruptive (businesses were floated a large stimulus package to carry costs through the spring shutdowns); less effective means, such as masks, facilitate more commerce and confidence, but sacrifice some degree of efficacy. Taking no precautions has also proven economically disruptive, and increases loss of life.

Studies have shown that certain drugs and treatment methods meaningfully reduce the mortality rate in severe cases. However, there are examples of these treatment methods (rolling patients on stomach) and drugs (remdesivir) falling out of use in areas over-burdened with patients due to resource / supply constraints.

There is hope for a vaccine in late-2020, early-2021. Polls have said as few as 50% of Americans will take the virus...mostly due to political distrust from both sides of the aisle.

It is expected by this time next year, America will have a vaccine, herd immunity, or increased risk tolerance. Permanent consequences to our prior way of life are still anyone’s guess.

So...what other narratives are being pushed by either side?

Proud of where I live!

We have indoor dining. Stores open. As normal as can be here in the times we live. Hogan has done a very solid job in maryland. Bringing Dr. Scott Gottlieb to be his "go to guy" on Covid was a very shrewd move.

Perks of being wealthy and liberal, and having a large number of government workers who can work from home. I live in Arlington, VA. Same goes for here.

There is a dive bar in Sayreville I drive by everyday (its the dive bar of dive bars) and they have resorted to putting a couple tables outside in the parking lot so their regulars can sit and drink, while I chuckle at their attempt I feel sorry for the owners who are just trying to get by in life with the rotten cards we've all been dealt. Places that serve food can at least do takeout, but places like this really have no other revenue flow to speak of.
Deerfield Inn??

What are the sides here?

There’s a virus, it is dangerous for a lot of Americans. It originated in China, and began infecting Americans in late-January 2020 (though the extent of its presence didn’t come fully into view until mid-March).

Seeing policy adaptations between March and now, this much is clear: the most effective precaution to save lives is shutting down society to avoid social contact, but this is economically disruptive (businesses were floated a large stimulus package to carry costs through the spring shutdowns); less effective means, such as masks, facilitate more commerce and confidence, but sacrifice some degree of efficacy. Taking no precautions has also proven economically disruptive, and increases loss of life.

Studies have shown that certain drugs and treatment methods meaningfully reduce the mortality rate in severe cases. However, there are examples of these treatment methods (rolling patients on stomach) and drugs (remdesivir) falling out of use in areas over-burdened with patients due to resource / supply constraints.

There is hope for a vaccine in late-2020, early-2021. Polls have said as few as 50% of Americans will take the virus...mostly due to political distrust from both sides of the aisle.

It is expected by this time next year, America will have a vaccine, herd immunity, or increased risk tolerance. Permanent consequences to our prior way of life are still anyone’s guess.

So...what other narratives are being pushed by either side?

Just the political ones

More on the Pfizer vaccine. They’ve dosed 11k people already in their Phase 3 and are hoping for FDA emergency use approval in October. That’s the CEO talking though, October would be a miracle, but either way they plan on having 100million doses by the end of the year.

I got a question - once a vaccine is approved, it's clear the anti-vaxxers won't want nothing to do with it, but if we get just 50-60% of the public to take it, would that be enough to put us in herd immunity territory? Considering 15-25% might have the anti-bodies in their system.

More on the Pfizer vaccine. They’ve dosed 11k people already in their Phase 3 and are hoping for FDA emergency use approval in October. That’s the CEO talking though, October would be a miracle, but either way they plan on having 100million doses by the end of the year.

Give it to the college hoops players in October so we can get the season rolling.

Reactions: biker7766
I got a question - once a vaccine is approved, it's clear the anti-vaxxers won't want nothing to do with it, but if we get just 50-60% of the public to take it, would that be enough to put us in herd immunity territory? Considering 15-25% might have the anti-bodies in their system.
Yes

Reactions: biker7766 and RU23

A bit concerned that a mass produced vaccine based off a rushed FDA approval could lead to dangerous down stream effects such as ADE in future infections. How can they rush the approval without enough lead time to test for this?

Reactions: biker7766
North Carolina's Department of Health and Human Services reported 2,008 new lab-confirmed coronavirus cases Friday, up slightly from Thursday. The last time the state reported more than 2,000 new cases was on July 30, when it had 2,344.

Reactions: Greg2020
Damned if you do or damned if you don’t ... you have a choice ...
ADE is an overused term and not proven at all... hypothesized only so explain how post WWII and those born in the 60 -70’s ( millions ) were vaccinated for numerous diseases and never claimed this affliction? This started late 80’s 90’s and was used as a political weapon just like many other contrived theories by the MSM.

Reactions: King of S
Can someone actually explain to me how they calculate the rate of transmission that Murphy is always saying; How is it calculated since many people still are not getting tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT