ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The school situation is tricky. Will people be able to sue if someone gets sick and dies/suffer long term effects?
My kids are grown so I have no dog in this fight but I think about about parents who can't work from home and have elementary school age kids. If the kids don't go back in the fall what will these folks do? Pay for an all day sitter/tutor? Some child care businesses are open but you can't expect child care to help kids with on-line learning. And then there is the additional cost of any option which a lot of folks can't afford. Also, if people are putting their kids in child care, how is that much different than sending them to school?

Teacher Or student gets sick and dies from Corona they trace to the school. Can the family sue?

(Did I really need to explain that to you?)
Seems it would be very hard to prove that a child had no contact with anyone else out side of school.

When looking at the recent spike don’t forget we had the Holiday weekend which was reported too low. It is definitely a shift upward but we had a slightly smaller spike after the Memorial Day weekend. Deaths are in no way spiking like the cases are spiking.

We have one side who are rooting for more deaths, looting, rioting, destroying what was built and blaming the good guys who just want to live our lives and have a nice world to live in. Tale as old as time.
Terrorist you are.

Reactions: Kbee3
Seems it would be very hard to prove that a child had no contact with anyone else out side of school.
You wouldn't have to prove the child had no contact with anyone else, just that the chance is greater than 50 percent that the child caught it from school.

You wouldn't have to prove the child had no contact with anyone else, just that the chance is greater than 50 percent that the child caught it from school.
Where does that criteria come from?

Children generally don’t have much contact with people outside of their parents and classmates. If you can prove the parents don’t have it, and if there are classmates that do, you can make a case. Should be interesting how the court handles it. I’m sure lawsuits will fly as things open up.

The preponderance of evidence standard (aka more likely occurred than not) that is used in Torts cases.
So if someone got the flu at school and died they would sue? Anyone can sue anyone for anything but there is no chance they would win

Reactions: RU-05
So if someone got the flu at school and died they would sue? Anyone can sue anyone for anything but there is no chance they would win
Wrong. The flu is an accepted risk by society (and anyone can get a flu shot who wants to prevent the flu), coronavirus is not in that category. Also the chance of a FLU outbreak at school is minimal compared to a Coronavirus outbreak. Why do you think the Senate and the current administration have been desperately trying to get a liability waiver for all reopened businesses. If no one could win in court against them they wouldn't care.

Children generally don’t have much contact with people outside of their parents and classmates. If you can prove the parents don’t have it, and if there are classmates that do, you can make a case. Should be interesting how the court handles it. I’m sure lawsuits will fly as things open up.
Exactly if there is an outbreak at school, and school didn't take proper precautions it's an easy case.

So I haven't followed this thread because regardless of good intentions, there are just some people who consistently feel the need to drag it into the gutter of politics. So I have no idea what's been posted or if this is repetitive.

Anyway, in tracking the numbers, this is a huge, huge cause for concern in our country:

BtI3EOe.jpg

As can be seen, around the middle of June we start seeing a rise in the daily new cases. And we now, as of the end of the first week of July, are seeing a rise in the daily death rate. Given that the rise in new cases is ongoing, this paints a dire picture for that upturn in deaths.

I would seriously hope people would not be looking to sue if someone caught Covid at school.

So I haven't followed this thread because regardless of good intentions, there are just some people who consistently feel the need to drag it into the gutter of politics. So I have no idea what's been posted or if this is repetitive.

Anyway, in tracking the numbers, this is a huge, huge cause for concern in our country:

BtI3EOe.jpg

As can be seen, around the middle of June we start seeing a rise in the daily new cases. And we now, as of the end of the first week of July, are seeing a rise in the daily death rate. Given that the rise in new cases is ongoing, this paints a dire picture for that upturn in deaths.

You really have not been following the thread :)

BtI3EOe.jpg

Ya this has definitely been noted, and if you look at certain states that had increasing cases a week or so ahead of the general curve, and you look at where their death trends are now, it's getting pretty clear that even with better treatments and younger populations being infected that the death rate for the country is going to spike.

I think the situations in hospitals is getting scary too. If there are area's of this country already at or near capacity, and the cases continue to come in at current or higher levels, then those areas are in real trouble.

I would seriously hope people would not be looking to sue if someone caught Covid at school.
Of course they would. Although if there is an online option and they choose to send the kid, then they assumed the risk and likely cannot.

Yep. Sadly the politics from both sides just makes this thread distasteful.

Only good part about your post is the deaths we see in the next few weeks probably will not be as bad as we had it since hospitals are prepared and know how to fight it.

Only good part about your post is the deaths we see in the next few weeks probably will not be as bad as we had it since hospitals are prepared and know how to fight it.
I hope so. Also, the treatment appears to have evolved since the spike several months ago. What concerns me just from the statistical point of view is that there's been a trend to count every death with COVID implications as attributable to COVID, even it if wasn't involved. I would like to see that practice stopped as it skews the actual numbers.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
My kids are grown so I have no dog in this fight but I think about about parents who can't work from home and have elementary school age kids. If the kids don't go back in the fall what will these folks do? Pay for an all day sitter/tutor? Some child care businesses are open but you can't expect child care to help kids with on-line learning. And then there is the additional cost of any option which a lot of folks can't afford. Also, if people are putting their kids in child care, how is that much different than sending them to school?
Everything here is right on and is a big question mark.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
I hope so. Also, the treatment appears to have evolved since the spike several months ago. What concerns me just from the statistical point of view is that there's been a trend to count every death with COVID implications as attributable to COVID, even it if wasn't involved. I would like to see that practice stopped as it skews the actual numbers.

I think the over inflated death argument is overdone. For as many situations where it’s a questionable call, there are just as many on the flip side.

Reactions: Greg2020
We have undercounted deaths. Even excluding Corona deaths counted deaths are far higher than usual throughout many parts of the country despite fewer work place accidents and car accidents.

Reactions: thegock
https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/richard-rose-covid-19-coronavirus/

37 year old anti-mask veteran of the armed forces who went to outdoor party caught corona and died.

Stories like these will become more common because people think they are invincible. If you go to a crowded spot and people arent wearing masks, you are susceptible to contracting this virus. Corona does not care how old you are or how infallible you may think to be.

Will any of you attempt to make a citizens arrest on someone not wearing a mask?

Nope, they might cough on you and give you corona.

BtI3EOe.jpg

I saw those graphs earlier today and that is not good. There are three solid weeks of positive cases that are greater than our highest time around April 25th. As you said, deaths are starting to tick upwards pretty much right on cue.

Reactions: Greg2020
Stories like these will become more common because people think they are invincible. If you go to a crowded spot and people arent wearing masks, you are susceptible to contracting this virus. Corona does not care how old you are or how infallible you may think to be.

Nope, they might cough on you and give you corona.

I saw those graphs earlier today and that is not good. There are three solid weeks of positive cases that are greater than our highest time around April 25th. As you said, deaths are starting to tick upwards pretty much right on cue.
Very low risk doesn't mean no risk (like with practically every medical condition). Citing an individual case instead of the aggregate data is misleading and pointless.

Gotta love this part:

the actual number of nursing home deaths in New York is difficult to know, since New York changed its reporting so that nursing home residents who die of COVID-19 are not counted as a nursing home death if they die at a hospital.
Seeing the press conferences.. it seemed to me that NJ Gov Murphy was following Cuomo's lead on everything. Anyone agree with that? But if that was the case.. perhaps Massachusetts did the same thing.. in any case, the nursing home deaths seem to be the main factor.. and clearly, New York's change in the way they count the deaths seems to be related to criticism of Cuomo for nursing home deaths..

... change the way you count the deaths.. make New York's number look better compared to New Jersey.. and Cuomo dodges some heat. But really.. he probably killed a lot of old people... in New York and New Jersey if Murphy followed his lead... and Murphy shares in that.

Good thing we had great national leadership from tRUMP on this crisis, huh?

Reactions: Kbee3 and Greg2020
Very low risk doesn't mean no risk (like with practically every medical condition). Citing an individual case instead of the aggregate data is misleading and pointless.

Citing an individual case isn't pointless. People are going to make bad decisions and this illustrates what can happen even if you are young. Imagine how many more people he and the rest of the rebels at the pool party infected because of their careless pursuit of pleasure. He was singled out due to his brazen approach coupled with his poorly chosen words on social media.

Citing an individual case isn't pointless. People are going to make bad decisions and this illustrates what can happen even if you are young. Imagine how many more people he and the rest of the rebels at the pool party infected because of their careless pursuit of pleasure. He was singled out due to his brazen approach coupled with his poorly chosen words on social media.

Anecdotal2020 likes to look for outliers, even when he was FKR

There are cases too when a person wore a mask religiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT