ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but this type of info gives a lot of false hope. Mostly these types of "announcements" by the company is to increase their stock price or get extra billions from the Goverment to pay for acceleration of production.

Pfizer doesn't need to hype anything, this is not a small company begging for attention or a start-up. When one of the biggies publicly express confidence, that's a damn good thing.

This was just one financial talking head, but his thoughts were that Pfizer, unlike say Moderna, is typically pretty tight to the vest, they don't go out and make claims unless they really have something.

Just one guys opinion, but Pfizer's actions do seem to support the idea that they actually do have something.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sorry, this reply makes no sense. Please reread. They are spending $1B to manufacture the vaccine now because they are confident it will be successful. If it is not successful/FDA approved, that investment will be 100% wasted. This financial risk proves their confidence is legit.
What makes no sense is that you don't think they want free money from the government. Gullible.

I’m not sold either way on how we are counting. I know many in hospitals who say people were being tested after death and counted. We’re talking hospice patients. Hospitals get higher insurance payouts if they call it covid related vs other cause of death. Then we have all of the other countries with low numbers who are likely not going back and testing dead people and likely suppressing their data to keep people from freaking out. Mental heath has to be a huge issue right now globally. Suicide can also be considered covid related because people who were on the edge are being pushed over thanks to the media and numbers we just mentioned. Hoping after the election people stop playing games and we get past this awful pandemic. Would love to know the truth some day but the waters have been too muddied and there are very few people left who don’t have agendas.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I’m not sold either way on how we are counting. I know many in hospitals who say people were being tested after death and counted. We’re talking hospice patients. Hospitals get higher insurance payouts if they call it covid related vs other cause of death. Then we have all of the other countries with low numbers who are likely not going back and testing dead people and likely suppressing their data to keep people from freaking out. Mental heath has to be a huge issue right now globally. Suicide can also be considered covid related because people who were on the edge are being pushed over thanks to the media and numbers we just mentioned. Hoping after the election people stop playing games and we get past this awful pandemic. Would love to know the truth some day but the waters have been too muddied and there are very few people left who don’t have agendas.
We know for sure that NJ and NY overcounted. That's just a fact.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
To me, I don't see it as an interesting topic because how much could states be skewing the stats? 10%? If that is true it doesn't change the optics. If I'm looking at the statistics if 1000 people die in a day vs 1100, I'm not swayed by that increase, or a decrease the other way.

And I just can't see it being a significantly large # otherwise the difference from the average would make the false reporting obvious.

So did NJ pump up their #'s while FL is now under reporting theirs? It's certainly possible, but that is bean counter stuff and the overall #'s show this is not a bean counter problem.

Last edited:
The same was done in NY and NJ.
NJ deaths per 100 thousand is 174. Texas 10!
Again, timeline's. Texas is very early in their timeline, with #'s increasing rapidly, while NJ's worst is behind us.

It's like the argument from just a week ago by people pointing to the overall declining trends in deaths in the face of the increase in cases(never mind the increasing death totals in certain states). We didn't and still don't know how much the increase in deaths will be, but it didn't require too much foresight to know that with all the new cases the deaths in time would be increasing.

Again, timeline's. Texas is very early in their timeline, with #'s increasing rapidly, while NJ's worst is behind us.

It's like the argument from just a week ago by people pointing to the overall declining trends in deaths in the face of the increase in cases(never mind the increasing death totals in certain states). We didn't and still don't know how much the increase in deaths will be, but it didn't require too much foresight to know that with all the new cases the deaths in time would be increasing.
Timeline or not. The tone of some people mocking other states for their failures is ironic considering how bad NJ did. The 174 per for NJ is the worst in the country.

Timeline or not. The tone of some people mocking other states for their failures is ironic considering how bad NJ did. The 174 per for NJ is the worst in the country.
I think it's also a little disingenuous to compare, given NJ was hit so hard early while as a country we, not just the state, were totally unprepared, where as now states are much more ready to deal with this.

No one really saw what was coming in our area until it was already upon us. Where as these other states that are getting hit now, we saw it coming months out. People wanted to deny it was coming, and used the slow rate of growth early as evidence that it was not coming, but there was plenty of evidence to show it was indeed coming.

But as I've said people need to see it for themselves. We needed to see it here, despite what was already happening in China and Italy, and people in these other states needed to see it in their states. So I do not try to take a mocking tone, but I think those mocking NJ while pointing to FL are either being dishonest or don't understand how the virus is progressing.

Last edited:
Go Pharma!

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla Raises Expectations That the Pharmaceutical Giant Can Deliver a COVID-19 Vaccine by Fall

https://time.com/5864690/pfizer-vaccine-coronavirus/

Pfizer is increasingly confident that its efforts to develop a coronavirus vaccine will be successful. In a July 7 interview with TIME, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said he believes that Food and Drug Administration approval could come as soon as October. On the basis of promising results in an early-stage trial released on July 1, Pfizer has dramatically increased the projections for the number of doses it will produce this year, from tens of millions to 100 million. Bourla also disclosed that the company has begun commercial talks with governments around the world about how many doses they will receive.

Bourla is so convinced his $52 billion global pharmaceutical giant is on the right track that he has decided Pfizer will start producing the vaccine before receiving approval from the FDA. It’s a move as risky as it is unorthodox. Pfizer’s vaccine, being developed with its German biotech partner BioNTech, uses a novel genetics-based approach called messenger RNA; Bourla acknowledges that no messenger-RNA vaccine has ever been approved to prevent infectious disease to date.

Some of the Q&A:

What did the data that Pfizer and BioNTech released on July 1 show?
That the vaccine in humans created the very robust immune responses in all individuals that received the vaccine. And those responses were also able to kill the virus. What we learned is that this vaccine can neutralize the virus.

So it was a big moment?
For me, it was the moment when I saw the data, plus many other data that we haven’t published yet, [that] made me say that until now I was thinking if we have a vaccine. Now I’m discussing when we’re going to have a vaccine.

Let’s talk timing. You said your reaction was not if but when. So when?
Well, let me be accurate and factual here. One, we will only know if the vaccine works when we have the final study. We have a lot of indications that make me feel that really it should make it … We should be able in the September time frame to have enough data to say if the vaccine works or not. And to submit that to the FDA. So for a potential approval in October, if we are lucky. It’s feasible.

And when will it be ready to be distributed?
The most interesting and important thing is that if the vaccine is successful, which means that if we are convinced about it, effective and safe, and the FDA is convinced about it, effective and safe, we will have already manufactured doses that will be readily available.

So have you ever done that before, started manufacturing pre–FDA approval to get it ready to ship?
No, never.

Are you currently manufacturing the possible vaccine itself or just the bottles and the containers it will go in?
Pretty soon we will start manufacturing actual vaccine. We may not bottle it yet because we are waiting, but there are a lot of stages.

You’ve invested more than $1 billion in this. What if the FDA rejects the vaccine?
We will just have to write it off and call it a day. We will throw it away. It’s only money we’re going to lose.

In terms of scale, if you got FDA approval in October, what kind of shipments do you anticipate?
We are planning to have up to a hundred million doses for this year. We’ll be fewer in October, a bit more in November, a bit more in December. And then we will have approximately 1.1-1.3 billion doses in 2021.
Start football 10/15 and play bowl games Presidents weekend!

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sorry, this reply makes no sense. Please reread. They are spending $1B to manufacture the vaccine now because they are confident it will be successful. If it is not successful/FDA approved, that investment will be 100% wasted. This financial risk proves their confidence is legit.
Generally agree. While Pfizer would clearly like to make some profit off the vaccine, they're the only company that turned down Federal funding as part of the US's Warp Speed vaccine development program.

https://pharmaintelligence.informa....ceo-bourla-wants-profit-from-covid-19-vaccine

Pfizer is among those short-listed for Operation Warp Speed, the US government’s program to accelerate coronavirus vaccine development, but the company is not participating in government clinical trial coordination or taking federal dollars.

Bourla said that the decision to forego federal assistance was difficult, but ultimately he decided that federal involvement would have slowed development. He also reiterated that Pfizer did not need the money or government expertise to run the trials.

“When you take money, the people that are giving the money want to know how you spent them and what exactly you are doing,” he said. “Speed was of essence right now. I wanted to make sure that we give to our people autonomy to move fast and run and be able to produce a vaccine.”

It was 64 deaths yesterday. The original number I quoted was what was reported then it was changed. O and 64 still makes us 3rd in deaths. So our patients here in NJ linger longer than other states. Do we have special ventilators compared to everyone else?

Trying to catch up on this thread, but I have a friend in his late 50’s that passed away on July 6, who got Covid around April 1 and was on a ventilator for well over two months. His lungs and his body in general were in extremely bad shape.

So it’s not crazy to have a very long period of time between being Covid positive and date of death.

Reactions: Greg2020
Just when I was hoping maybe FL had reached a plateau in new cases they come out with a 15K+ number today.

Trying to catch up on this thread, but I have a friend in his late 50’s that passed away on July 6, who got Covid around April 1 and was on a ventilator for well over two months. His lungs and his body in general were in extremely bad shape.

So it’s not crazy to have a very long period of time between being Covid positive and date of death.
Ya, heard stories like this from a nurse friend. The ventilator's keeping people alive for awhile but not actually saving a lot of lives.

Edit: And she actually mentioned guys in their 50's.

FL does continue to ramp up testing.

3 weeks ago they tested about 230K for the week.

The last 2 weeks they tested around 400K.

This week they are at 510K.

Pfizer doesn't need to hype anything, this is not a small company begging for attention or a start-up. When one of the biggies publicly express confidence, that's a damn good thing.

We already discussed the Pfizer vaccine when trial results were released last week. It got a good immune response, but the medium and high doses caused fevers in everyone. Low dose caused fevers in 9% of the people, so if the low does doesn’t work, this vaccine ain’t gonna work. To Whitebus’ point, the CEO didn’t say that did he?

Wow, that beats NY record by a couple of thousands.

That's about 30% higher than the highest daily case number (per capita) that NJ ever saw - and we were already shut down by then. Not good, even if they're younger on average than we were seeing.

https://www.devdiscourse.com/articl...ver-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record

It's a big number for sure but as I note above we shouldn't compare cases now to early on in the timeline. Florida tested 500K people this week. NY and NJ were testing maybe 50K in a week at the peak?

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight177lb
It's a big number for sure but as I note above we shouldn't compare cases now to early on in the timeline. Florida tested 500K people this week. NY and NJ were testing maybe 50K in a week at the peak?
Whatever, the dead bodies are going be rolling in August and September right before the election. Will this have any affect on the election?

Comparing positive test results with us is sort of a waste of time. I’m sure if we had the testing capacity in March/April, we would have put up 20k+ a day.
It's a factor, but maybe not as big as you think. NY was running 25-30K tests per day by its peak in April with a positivity rate near 40%, while FL is getting close to 30% now.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.gov/views/NYS-COVID19-Tracker/NYSDOHCOVID-19Tracker-DailyTracker?:embed=yes&:toolbar=no&:tabs=n

https://covidly.com/graph?country=United States&state=Florida#new

Question...Wife is a teacher. We have plans last week of Aug to go to NC. NC is on the list of 14 days quarantine when return to NJ. School would start here in NJ a few days after we return to NJ (who knows what school will look like. Would you cancel trip to be “honorable” so don’t violate 14 day quarantine rule? I say screw it. Private house with pool, social distance on beach, etc.

Great job by Florida testing so many people

Unfortunately that didn't happen in NJ.
Obviously as a country we did not have anywhere near the capability to test at the levels we are seeing now.

I mean, a crystal clear, should not need to be explained, level of obvious.

Question...Wife is a teacher. We have plans last week of Aug to go to NC. NC is on the list of 14 days quarantine when return to NJ. School would start here in NJ a few days after we return to NJ (who knows what school will look like. Would you cancel trip to be “honorable” so don’t violate 14 day quarantine rule? I say screw it. Private house with pool, social distance on beach, etc.
I'd probably go that route. As long as you adhere to the bold. And that would include no indoor restaurants(if that is even possible down there).

Who's the person that said like 6 weeks ago that Florida opened up and there was no spike 15,300 positives today. There is no turning back we have 100% lost control of this virus.

Every state needs to close its borders to every other state and the narrow the areas and control within their own states whether you shut down counties to other counties then towns to towns. The US people are our own worst enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT