ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was anything about this study posted yet? Some T-Cell analysis comparing infected people vs healthy. Basically it says 83% of infected people had T Cells they think might be active against CV, but more interesting is that 35% of healthy people had the same T Cells. So theoretically a large percentage of the population may already have immunity, like we’ve discussed before.

Only thing is, we have no idea if T Cells even matter, but this could potentially be good news. This was also a smallish study.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2598-9

Reactions: Greg2020
Last edited:
Good luck . But here is a thought. People had fevers, coughed, got sore throats, itched ,had headaches, sneezed for hundreds of years before Covid. I know peeps when they come in from outside and feel warm they rush to the thermometer.

Good luck. I hope it's just the minor infection and not COVID, obviously. One thought for you (ask your doctor of course, before making any decisions): if you only have a mild fever, it's quite possible you don't have COVID (if no other symptoms) or that even if you do, your viral levels are low and you might still get a "false negative" test (which would give you a false sense of security), so it might not be worth getting the COVID test at this point with just a mild fever. Certainly if the fever worsens and/or some other symptoms develop, getting the test becomes more important (and more likely to be accurate).

One other thing that can be helpful for people is getting a pulse oximeter to measure oxygenation levels in the blood, since there are sometimes people with minimal symptoms who become anoxic and that can be seen by this device - and anyone with low O2 blood levels should be getting to a doctor or hospital ASAP.
Pulse oximeter coming Tuesday ... great suggestion.

Reactions: RU848789
Australia spiking big time...why?

and wasnt I laughed at when I brought this up a couple weeks ago

7 day average of new cases currently at 476.

Their #'s have increased, they do need to keep an eye on that so it doesn't get out of control, but 28 states in the US had more new cases then that yesterday.

7 day average of new cases currently at 476.

Their #'s have increased, they do need to keep an eye on that so it doesn't get out of control, but 28 states in the US had more new cases then that yesterday.

That would equate to roughly 6,200 compared to the US population. Australia’s population is roughly 1/13 of the US.

Great point about obesity. 6% obesity in China, 42% in US. Being obese you have 40% greater risk of dying and 90% if you are over 40.
Obesity is the biggest risk factor for serious corona complications. Look at Japan, SK, and Taiwan, all obesity rates in the low single digits.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-06-12/other-pandemic-worsening-coronavirus-obesity

There are a lot of possible explanations for why Japan has weathered the COVID-19 pandemic better than the United States. It’s possible that the Japanese are more used to wearing masks, that the government used contact tracing to more effectively to contain outbreaks, and that handshakes aren’t a widespread cultural practice. But according to Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and the dean of the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, one of the major reasons Japan is dealing with the coronavirus more successfully than the United States is because of another problem: obesity.

America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the developed world, and Japan has one of the lowest. And it’s obesity that’s making America’s response to COVID-19 much more difficult.

How difficult? According to a recent study of COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York City, it’s a major concern. Mozaffarian explains that, “if someone has moderate obesity … they’re about four-fold more likely to be hospitalized, if they have severe obesity … they have a six-fold higher risk of being hospitalized.” Obesity was more important in determining hospitalization than high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and kidney disease. In fact, after age, it was the biggest factor driving hospitalizations.

And that means America is uniquely vulnerable.

That would equate to roughly 6,200 compared to the US population. Australia’s population is roughly 1/13 of the US.

Florida's 7 day average of new cases is 9300. As noted Australia's is less then 500. About 3 million more people live in Australia.

The US as a whole has a 7dma of 63K.

@RU848789 and others:
Thoughts on this opinion from NJ.com?
One of the authors is a RU sociology professor.
Obviously holding out hope for a vaccine but when should federal and state governments also consider contingency/alternate planning?

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/08/what-if-covid-19-is-here-to-stay-opinion.html
I think very little of their opinion. I have high confidence in a vaccine (several vaccines actually) working, given the data we've seen on recovered COVID patients having at least 6 months of sustained neutralizing antibodies and early vaccine clinical trials showing good responses for those antibodies. Of course, we won't know for sure until the phase III trials have been completed, but there's every indication that one of more of these vaccines will likely work. Even if vaccine immunity only lasts a year, I don't think most would complain about having to get a vaccine booster every year. Now, if we have a working vaccine and only 50% of people get it, it's quite possible that the virus will become endemic and occasionally flare up among the non-vaccinated (and for those the vaccine is not 100% protective for, which is very possible, although in those cases there would likely be greatly reduced symptoms).

If you have no other symptoms, I would think your chances are pretty low. Fingers crossed though.
Thanks ArminRU : a bit disconcerting because I had a similar thing over a year ago related to a bacterial infection in Kidneys. It was severe but cleared up in 7 days took meds for 14... drink plenty of water. Doc almost put in into hospital for IV infusion. One thing I did learn even if the cultural comes back for the use of Cipro ... try to avoid it ... inflamed tendons in my feet and legs.

Obesity is the biggest risk factor for serious corona complications. Look at Japan, SK, and Taiwan, all obesity rates in the low single digits.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-06-12/other-pandemic-worsening-coronavirus-obesity

There are a lot of possible explanations for why Japan has weathered the COVID-19 pandemic better than the United States. It’s possible that the Japanese are more used to wearing masks, that the government used contact tracing to more effectively to contain outbreaks, and that handshakes aren’t a widespread cultural practice. But according to Dariush Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and the dean of the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, one of the major reasons Japan is dealing with the coronavirus more successfully than the United States is because of another problem: obesity.

America has one of the highest rates of obesity in the developed world, and Japan has one of the lowest. And it’s obesity that’s making America’s response to COVID-19 much more difficult.

How difficult? According to a recent study of COVID-19 hospitalizations in New York City, it’s a major concern. Mozaffarian explains that, “if someone has moderate obesity … they’re about four-fold more likely to be hospitalized, if they have severe obesity … they have a six-fold higher risk of being hospitalized.” Obesity was more important in determining hospitalization than high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and kidney disease. In fact, after age, it was the biggest factor driving hospitalizations.

And that means America is uniquely vulnerable.
You keep posting this and while obesity is certainly a significant risk factor for those who become infected, by far the biggest reason Japan, SK, Taiwan, etc., have far lower death rates is because they have far lower case rates - and that's because of their interventions: masking/distancing for prevention, coupled with testing, tracing and isolating of cases. We've chosen to barely even try those things, relatively speaking.

These three countries (and many more) all have <300 cases/1MM and <10 deaths/1MM, while the US has almost 15,000 cases/1MM (50X more) and has almost 500 deaths/1MM (50X more). It's that simple.

Can anybody explain how we were told that no effective vaccination has ever gone from creation to wide-spread distribution in less than four years, yet we are now hearing Fauci say he is "cautiously optimistic" that we will have one by the end of this year?

I have read (not sure of the veracity) that pharma companies will require users to sign waivers of liability.

Is anyone else concerned about this stuff?

Reactions: mdh2003 and Jm0513
You keep posting this and while obesity is certainly a significant risk factor for those who become infected, by far the biggest reason Japan, SK, Taiwan, etc., have far lower death rates is because they have far lower case rates - and that's because of their interventions: masking/distancing for prevention, coupled with testing, tracing and isolating of cases. We've chosen to barely even try those things, relatively speaking.

These three countries (and many more) all have <300 cases/1MM and <10 deaths/1MM, while the US has almost 15,000 cases/1MM (50X more) and has almost 500 deaths/1MM (50X more). It's that simple.

I didn't post this to weaponize the issue for political purposes. My intention is more to get all of us to spend our time at home getting as healthy as we can.

Can anybody explain how we were told that no effective vaccination has ever gone from creation to wide-spread distribution in less than four years, yet we are now hearing Fauci say he is "cautiously optimistic" that we will have one by the end of this year?

I have read (not sure of the veracity) that pharma companies will require users to sign waivers of liability.

Sure it’s a concern but even the vaccines we take for various diseases now are of some risk. We get it ...so maybe if you can hold off for several months . I don’t believe we will be injecting folks until next summer. Remember this is 2020 and not back in 1950 or even 1990’s. All we can pray for is meds to help lessen the bad effects.

I’m not, the usual 10 years to develop a vaccine is warping expectations. The usual process is unnecessarily long, and we’re currently in a perfect storm for developing this vaccine. This article is pretty good at explaining why we’ve been able to make so much progress.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/30...-much-progress-on-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-fast/

Last edited:
I didn't post this to weaponize the issue for political purposes. My intention is more to get all of us to spend our time at home getting as healthy as we can.
No issue with discussing the risks of obesity - my issue is blaming our huge differences with other countries based on obesity, which is maybe a 2X factor out of a 50X difference.

Came back from a drive down 206 in Hillsborough. Stopped at the light and looked to the car next to me and there was a man driving with gloves, a mask and a face shield closed at bottom and open at top. I did not see any hazardous material label on his car so I laughed and said WTF?

I’ve lived with a critically ill person in my home before; catching a common cold would have been serious cause for concern in the family, and so we took extra precautions.

You don’t know what’s going on this person’s life. To each their own. Instead of laughing at those who need to take extra precaution, be glad that you have the luxury to take some risks.

Reactions: RU-05 and Greg2020
I sincerely appreciate your response and thoughtfulness numbers. This morning I still feel pretty good and antibiotics started. It is a scary thing and not so much for me.You worry about those who you may have had contact with. With me it has only been my wife and 7 days ago with my son, his wife and my 4 year old granddaughter. But we social distanced from each other but who knows. Did go to two supermarkets. Anyway going tomorrow morning have the appointment. I did have a bacterial infection last spring caused by gravel still passing from a lithotripsy procedure on an 8mm kidney stone. That is always a possibility with stones in the kidney’s, bladder or urethra. Once again thanks.
Thanks - hopefully people realize that arguing and even the occasional insult or two doesn't mean not caring. Trying to provide some useful information is a big part of why I've spent so much time on social media during this pandemic. Good luck and great to hear you're getting the oximeter. It also sounds like a very low probability that you would've infected anyone, given your practices.

mRNA is faster and is, in theory anyway, safer than traditional vaccine development - efficacy is the big question mark tho.

+1
Obesity is one of the critical reasons why corona is impacting our residents more than Asian countries. It's important to get the word out and hopefully motivate people to live healthier lives. This nation has a health crisis and it is getting worse.

FL pop density is 375.9 people per square mile, Australia has 3.2 people/sq. mile.
But 60% of Australia's population live in the top ten most populous metro areas, which all have densities of about 400-800/square mile. Just because countries like Australia and the US have vast amounts of very low density area doesn't mean that most of the people don't live in fairly densely populated cities.

But 60% of Australia's population live in the top ten most populous metro areas, which all have densities of about 400-800/square mile. Just because countries like Australia and the US have vast amounts of very low density area doesn't mean that most of the people don't live in fairly densely populated cities.
Fair enough then let's breakdown the areas in Australia relevant to FL spikes.

Theoretically that could work, but it won't be done because there aren't any vaccine combination trials to measure success - and especially safety - of the combo and there's no doctor in the world who will (or should) combine vaccines on his/her own.
I'm curious as to what the safety issues would be. Kids have been getting MMR vaccines for years. I understand those are 3 different viruses but theoretically getting 3 different anti viral mechanisms against 1 virus should be as safe as the MMR vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT