ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Day 2 - Big Ten Tournament Updates

Sammy Alvarez wrestling Seth Gross now on mat 3. He gets an early takedown to go up 2-0

Aguilar and Pagano (if he is healthy) should get it. Outside of Angelo, anyone else is complete longshot and highly unlikely at this point

Gross escapes, making the score 2-1. Gross follows it up with a go-behind for a takedown of his own

Gross keeps Alvarez down for the rest of the period.

Gross going down to start the second, Alvarez trails 3-2

That was an absolutely insane sequence. I really hope you all are watching this because I cant' put that into words.

Prior to, though, Alvarez appeared to have a turn on Gross, but no back points were counted. Pritzlaff heaved the brick in. Officials are taking a second look now

Scott down 2-1 heading into the third period, and chooses top

Its been 50 years since I wrestled in college. And apparently strategy has changed a bit, as I fail to understand choosing top in the final period when down 2-1, since its easier to score points from bottom or neutral than top. Could you be so kind as to please educate this wrestling fossil?

No backs are awarded. But there was a a Gross reversal, two back points for Gross, then another reversal for Alvarez. 7-4 is the score, as they restart with Alvarez on top

Its been 50 years since I wrestled in college. And apparently strategy has changed a bit, as I fail to understand choosing top in the final period when down 2-1, since its easier to score points from bottom or neutral than top. Could you be so kind as to please educate this wrestling fossil?
Scott is insanely good on top. No other reason.

Gross gets an escape just before the second period ends. Gross is up 8-4 heading into the third, Sammy chooses neutral and scores right away! Now 8-6, Gross

Seth Gross hasn’t looked himself at all this year. I guess his injury last year really took a lot out of him.

Sammy is going to be so damn good in a very short amount of time.

Also, Gross not getting hit with a single stall was borderline criminal. He didn't even try to really wrestle in the 3rd.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
We may only have two going. I believe Alvarez and Janzer have shown they can compete with the best. I take Two AAs from them.

Aguilar needs to win this 9th place match to get a definite at large bid. He will still have a decent shot if he loses but that will depend on who else needs an at large bid throughout the country.

Wisconsin challenging a scramble that occurred, claiming Model scored a takedown in the sequence

Nic Aguilar wrestling Eric Barnett of Wisconsin on mat 2. Aguilar defeated Barnett 6-0 in the opening round of the tournament

Aguilar gives up a takedown on a Barnett cradle, but avoids giving up any back points. 2-0, Barnett

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT