ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Day 2 - Big Ten Tournament Updates

Does Vanbrill have a shot of getting an at large bid?
As I understand it. Part of one of the criteria for an at large bid is finishing one place below the allocation for your league. BIG had 6 at 157...mvb took a 7th. It definitely helps. I don’t know exactly sure where MVB was in RPI and coaches poll.

Aguilar takes a shot, but Barnett counters into a score of his own. Aguilar quickly reverses Barnett. Barnett escapes before the period expires.

5-3 Barnett going into the second period. Aguilar selects defense to start the second

As I understand it. Part of one of the criteria for an at large bid is finishing one place below the allocation for your league. BIG had 6 at 157...mvb took a 7th. It definitely helps. I don’t know exactly sure where MVB was in RPI and coaches poll.
37th in RPI, not in the top 33 of the coaches poll

Aguilar reverse Barnett to take the 6-5 lead. He rides out the period on top.

Barnett chooses bottom to start the third

Billy Janzer in the hole on mat 2. He will be wrestling Zach Braunagel on Illinois

Janzer makes several shot attempts, but is unable to capitalize. The first period ends scoreless.

Braunagel chooses defense to start the second period

With 5 at large bids available as of right now Vanbrill definitely has a chance to grab a spot. Young from Iowa is a definite so that doesnt help but I think he can sneak in.
Depends on upsets/wrestlers in other leagues not wrestling to their allocation. Hopefully mVB catches a break.

Braunagel finishes a shot after Janzer spent a good 20 seconds fighting it off in a crack down.

Janzer trails 3-0 going into the third period, and chooses defense

Braunagel gets a take on the edge of the circle to go up 5-1 with 20 seconds remaining

Janzer escapes, but Braunagel gets another takedown before time expires.

Janzer loses 7-2, and finishes 10th place at 184-lbs

Just gotta hope he had some quality wins. Hopefully everything went as predicted in other leagues. Kind of a stretch.

Unfortunately for MVB... All he really has is several tight losses to quality wrestlers... But who knows... He had a solid tournament and 7th in this league is nothing to sneeze at...

Depends on upsets/wrestlers in other leagues not wrestling to their allocation. Hopefully mVB catches a break.
Thats why I think he has a shot...As of right now 157lbs only has 1 wrestler who was allocated and needs an at large (Young from Iowa)..Every other weights have around 4- 8

Last edited:
Reactions: rugrapfan1
Session IV is officially underway!

Sammy Alvarez will be wrestling Travis Piotrowski for 5th place on mat 1. He is on deck.

The thing about MVB....If he gets in...can definitely go on a run to AA. Kids is a gamer. Let’s hope he gets in.
I’m pulling for all these guys but MVB on the podium this year would be an all time college sports underdog run

Reactions: koleszar
Sammy Alvarez is now up against Travis Piotrowski of Illinois. Piotrowski caught Alvarez in a cradle for a first period pin when they wrestled each other in the dual meet earlier this season.

Alvarez and Piotrowski have a scoreless first period.

Alvarez chooses defense to start the second

Alvarez out in twelve seconds for the first point of the match, but Piotrowski answers with a takedown. Alvarez trails 2-1

Alvarez reverse Piotrowski to his back in the final seconds of the second period. The ref awarded a takedown, but gave no back points. Rutgers challenges the no call.

No back points are awarded, so the score is 3-2 heading into the third period, in favor of Alvarez.

Piotrowski chooses to start the third period on bottom

Alvarez had a good ride, but Piotrowski escapes with 30 seconds on the clock to tie it at 3

Piotrowski and Alvarez have a back and forth scramble that results in Piotrowski pinning Alvarez off of an Alvarez throw attempt.

Sammy Alvarez finishes 6th place at 133-lbs as a true freshman, and will be heading to the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: biker7766
So at the end of the day RU had a 6th, a 7th, a 9th, a 10th, 2 injuries and 4 with a nice learning experience. Tough tourney. Besides Sammy and Billy, any others going to nationals?

Last edited:
So at the end of the day RU had a 6th, a 7th, a 9th, a 10th, 2 injuries and 4 with a nice learning experience. Tough tourney. Besides Sammy and Billy, any others going to nationals?
As of now, no.

Pagano I'd say is an easy wildcard, but he may not be good to go by then. Aguilar I think has a decent chance. MVB I'd say isn't out of the picture, but he definitely has the slimmest chances of the three

@Lex Knapp Thanks for the thorough (and intense!) coverage this weekend. I've been watching on TV and have a question about the equipment, especially the mats and the risers, that I assume were brought in for this tourny. Were these provided by the conference for us hosting the event, assuming that we didn't already have the mats, which looked brand new? If so, do we get to keep them?

Last edited:
As of now, no.

Pagano I'd say is an easy wildcard, but he may not be good to go by then. Aguilar I think has a decent chance. MVB I'd say isn't out of the picture, but he definitely has the slimmest chances of the three
I think Angelo has a shot as well.. he had some nice wins this season and could be a bracket buster at nationals..

I think Angelo has a shot as well.. he had some nice wins this season and could be a bracket buster at nationals..
You're right. His odds are probably a bit similar to MVB's, if not a little less, but he certainly has a shot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT