ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Day 2 - Big Ten Tournament Updates

Rivera was walking past section 109 after he won and received his medal. Someone called out "Seabass, come to Rutgers." And Rivera said, almost winsomely, "I heard that" . I don't know if Rivera will transfer to RU for his final year of eligibility, but if he does, he will be beloved. The kind of fiery, charismatic wrestler that belongs here and will have the RAC faithful eating from the palm of his hand.

He was

Why would I make that up? I want him here bad. I think it is somewhere in here. https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6666492-sebastian-rivera-on-his-first-three-years-at-northwestern
I think what he meant is he's not going to divulge his plans in some random flo interview while the season is on going. That would be a slap in the face to his coaches and teammates. If it happens, nobody outside his circle and coaches are going to hear anything about it till it's well in the works and pretty much a done deal.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think what he meant is he's not going to divulge his plans in some random flo interview while the season is on going. That would be a slap in the face to his coaches and teammates. If it happens, nobodies going to hear anything about it from him till it's well in the works and pretty much a done deal.

I understand and agree but if I heard it correctly, he literally said he was looking forward to graduating this year and wrestling his final year at NU. I could be wrong.

Anyone else notice Joseph not allowing the 2nd place metal to be placed around his neck. Didn’t seem like good sportsmanship to me.

Also, how are those allocations going for the Olympic trials? I am hearing ZERO tickets are available to the Olympic wrestler hopefuls and their families. Who got those tickets??

Go RU!
Diane
If you're insinuating that PSU is in charge of those tickets, you're barking up the wrong tree. That's a USA Wrestling event, not a PSU event. The fact that tickets weren't reserved for wrestlers and families is on USA Wrestling, and this apparently isn't the first time that's happened.

I understand and agree but if I heard it correctly, he literally said he was looking forward to graduating this year and wrestling his final year at NU. I could be wrong.
Not saying it's going to happen, but in the spring Jonah Jackson was named Captain and quoted saying he loved his teammates/coaches, that this is the place he always wanted to be at. By summer he was in Ohio State as a grad transfer.

Reactions: bigmatt718
If you're insinuating that PSU is in charge of those tickets, you're barking up the wrong tree. That's a USA Wrestling event, not a PSU event. The fact that tickets weren't reserved for wrestlers and families is on USA Wrestling, and this apparently isn't the first time that's happened.

Let’s just say I’ll be watching the crowd. Since, you know, everybody does a lot of insinuating on these boards.

Go RU!
Diane

Biggest disappointment of the weekend for me wasn't even wrestling related. We were hanging out at the Brick House Tavern between sessions on Saturday and saw some dude sporting a white hat with "JoePa" across the brow.

[sick]

I saw that guy also. He was two tables from us.

This here is pure bullsh*t and not how it worked. Are you now subscribing to the Matter school of thought? I have 8 season tickets on one account, 1st go around I could only get 4 tickets. Even told my season tickets group, 4 of you might be fvcked. Once allocations went out to each school and unused came back to Rutgers, then and only then was I offered the availability to purchase extra tickets.

How many tickets did you end up with?

"PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers Athletics has announced ticket prices and purchasing information for the 2020 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, held March 7-8 at the RAC. Wrestling season ticket holders will have an exclusive window to purchase tickets for the conference championship event from Sept. 12 thru Oct. 3, with season ticket holders able to purchase up to four all-session passes during this timeframe.

Seat locations will be allocated in priority point order following the deadline, and seat locations will not be provided at the time of purchase. Once the allocation is complete, season ticket holders will have an additional opportunity to add on up to eight additional all-session passes prior to the general public. These locations will be based upon availability. Season ticket holders with any additional questions can call the Rutgers Ticket office at 732-445-GORU"

Favorite T Shirt at tournament: two Iowa fans with shirts on, which were COMPLETELY covered in a montage pattern with the same photo of Coach Brands' face. Asked the fans as they got to their seats if they had underwear to match the T shirts.

Reactions: Cradle99
Rivera was walking past section 109 after he won and received his medal. Someone called out "Seabass, come to Rutgers." And Rivera said, almost winsomely, "I heard that" . I don't know if Rivera will transfer to RU for his final year of eligibility, but if he does, he will be beloved. The kind of fiery, charismatic wrestler that belongs here and will have the RAC faithful eating from the palm of his hand.

exactly right

and on top of that, it’s a great life learning opportunity being the elder statesmen leading up a room full of top young talent. If he and nick are both here, that room would be electric. If you couldnt get better in that room, then maybe the sport isn’t for you

with poz coming in too. That’s the type of culture you want your studs stepping in to.

Not saying you were making up the interview, but rather I highly doubt he would say anything about his future plans, which would involve him transferring in such an interview.
Rivera is playing his hand correctly. He sure as hell isn't gonna tip off that he's leaving NW from someone from Flo interviewing him on the fly.

Reactions: MS-RU
Not saying it's going to happen, but in the spring Jonah Jackson was named Captain and quoted saying he loved his teammates/coaches, that this is the place he always wanted to be at. By summer he was in Ohio State as a grad transfer.
Yep. Get his undergrad at an elite school in NW, then come home and get a Master's and wrestle in his last season in his home state in front of the best college wrestling fans outside of PSU and Iowa.

Reactions: KidDagger
Rutgers did a fantastic job hosting B1Gs. Had a great time at the tourney. Would love for it to come back here again.
Everything was so professionally done. I definitely see RU hosting it again hopefully sometime in the next 5 years. Had an absolute blast and spent a ton of time with Iowa, OSU, Wisconsin, and Nebraska fans who are all just as knowledgeable about the sport as we are here. I only hope the next time we host it, we aren't in a rebuild year.

Reactions: Leonard23
Paw, how does PSU allocate their BIG champ tickets? I am told the SAME way. It’s a benefit of being the host (our first time) and EVERY University who hosted prior did it exactly that way. PSU hosts it next year...guess we will see what premium seats are available for everyone else.

Go RU!
Diane

PS. It says Up to 8. We were limited to an additional 4. So, there’s that.

Maryland wrestling went 0-25 in the B1G Tourney. That's a level of complete ineptitude beyond my comprehension.

1-24, as Spadafora won a match in the 9th place bracket, but that's still a staggering level of incompetence. No team points earned in the 9th place matches, so that's why they ended with 0.

Paw, how does PSU allocate their BIG champ tickets? I am told the SAME way. It’s a benefit of being the host (our first time) and EVERY University who hosted prior did it exactly that way. PSU hosts it next year...guess we will see what premium seats are available for everyone else.

Go RU!
Diane

PS. It says Up to 8. We were limited to an additional 4. So, there’s that.
The last time PSU hosted was 2009, so I don't know who you talked to, but if it was a Rutgers fan, I'm not sure how they would know, as I'll bet they didn't attend the B1G tournament in 2009.

In 2009, we put it in our 16000 seat arena, and I'm assuming we'll do the same in 2021. And, now you change the argument to premium seats. Can you define premium seats, and whether my 304 seats in the RAC were premium? If that's the case, we can put you anywhere in the upper deck, and you can sit in our cushioned, individual, seat-backed chairs and call them super-premium.

One other thing, for the other people saying, "Oh, we should host again in the next five years..." The schedule is primarily rotational, not by invitation, so the likelihood of Rutgers having it again within the next ten years is pretty low, let alone the next five.

Now, what happened to the insinuation thing? What were you insinuating, again? That somehow PSU is at fault for USA Wrestling athletes' parents not having seats reserved? Perhaps you know Tony Ramos, who indicated that Olympic Trials tickets have never been reserved for families...

And Greg Martin, Myles' Dad, started the thread by saying he contacted USA Wrestling, who was working with PSU on acquiring tickets. He didn't contact PSU, he contacted USA Wrestling, the governing body of the trials. And, Ramos didn't blame PSU, either.

Finally, a person in the know has indicated that virtually all family ticket requests have now been accommodated by PSU.

Everything was so professionally done. I definitely see RU hosting it again hopefully sometime in the next 5 years. Had an absolute blast and spent a ton of time with Iowa, OSU, Wisconsin, and Nebraska fans who are all just as knowledgeable about the sport as we are here. I only hope the next time we host it, we aren't in a rebuild year.
We'll get it again in 13yrs. It goes on a rotational basis.

Anyone else notice Joseph not allowing the 2nd place metal to be placed around his neck. Didn’t seem like good sportsmanship to me.

Also, how are those allocations going for the Olympic trials? I am hearing ZERO tickets are available to the Olympic wrestler hopefuls and their families. Who got those tickets??

Go RU!
Diane
Joseph was total jerk for not accepting the 2nd place medal. Just take it when offered and throw it away afterwards. Disrespectful to the other wrestlers. I have nothing against Joseph but that was totally class less and now I hope he loses at nationals.

Reactions: KidDagger and rondi
Finally, a person in the know has indicated that virtually all family ticket requests have now been accommodated by PSU.

Confusing...how is PSU accommodating all families IF PSU ISN'T IN CHARGE? On a side note, I am happy the families are now getting to see their sons. I’m too lazy to show the tweets of all the wrestlers bitching that they weren’t getting any tickets. #FACTS.

RU followed the exact way other BIG Universities host events, end of story. I don’t care how YOU try to spin it or how you keep trying to make RU look like they did something nefarious when they did exactly what every other BIG University does. Horses mouth, that’s where I get my information. I don’t spread rumors.

PSU boards slow today?

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: koleszar
Favorite T Shirt at tournament: two Iowa fans with shirts on, which were COMPLETELY covered in a montage pattern with the same photo of Coach Brands' face. Asked the fans as they got to their seats if they had underwear to match the T shirts.
I was sitting right next to those guys!

Confusing...how is PSU accommodating all families IF PSU ISN'T IN CHARGE? On a side note, I am happy the families are now getting to see their sons. I’m too lazy to show the tweets of all the wrestlers bitching that they weren’t getting any tickets. #FACTS.

RU followed the exact way other BIG Universities host events, end of story. I don’t care how YOU try to spin it or how you keep trying to make RU look like they did something nefarious when they did exactly what every other BIG University does. Horses mouth, that’s where I get my information. I don’t spread rumors.

PSU boards slow today?

Go RU!
Diane
This is a USA Wrestling event and these are USAW wrestlers. Therefore, had USAW told PSU, "Hey, we need to reserve X tickets for each of X wrestlers," I'm sure PSU would have been happy to oblige. Now, after the fact, according to Greg Martin, USAW has reached out to PSU, who is attempting to make accommodations. I have no knowledge of that process, so I won't speculate on that. Greg Martin and Tony Ramos aren't laying this at PSU's feet.

So, your source told you that every other B1G school initially offers their season ticket holders up to 12 tickets. Okay, I'll take their word for that.

Joseph was total jerk for not accepting the 2nd place medal. Just take it when offered and throw it away afterwards. Disrespectful to the other wrestlers. I have nothing against Joseph but that was totally class less and now I hope he loses at nationals.

Just about every wrestler on the podium, except for #1, is unhappy and disappointed, just look at their faces. But, they are all gracious and respectful about it. Rarely see anyone act disrespectfully...NO ONE earns that right, IMHO. I don’t care your ranking or your University. It’s not about that for me.

Paw, this was a BIG event, too, not RU’s (RU was a host). I’m not here to keep educating you, over and over again, and for you to twist words. My last post to you so go get your last word in. You’re pissed you sat in 300s. Boohoo, cry me a river. Some people are just grateful to be able to go. I had plenty of non-RU fans around me. Iowa came in droves. I understand why as they are clearly top dog this year. PSU got their allocation just like EVERY BIG school gets. Maybe your issue should be with P$U and where you sat since PSU has control over PSU’s allotment. If PSU used up their allotment, well, that happens. Pony up then. Maybe MD didn’t use all their allotment...hmmm, the host school may have access to them, first, like every host. NO ONE AT RU got 12 tickets. What part of the words “up to” are you not getting? Hope you enjoyed it despite your whining. Have a nice day.

RU did a GREAT job hosting, bravo!! Great location being a short distance to an international airport, easy access. Heard great reports back from various top people whose opinions matter. Just like Final X!

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT