ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Day 2 - Big Ten Tournament Updates

@Lex Knapp Thanks for the through (and intense!) coverage this weekend. I've been watching on TV and have a question about the equipment, especially the mats and the risers, that I assume were brought in for this tourny. Were these provided by the conference for us hosting the event, assuming that we didn't already have the mats, which looked brand new? If so, do we get to keep them?
Thanks for the support @RutgersRaRa ! That question is unfortunately above my pay grade lol. I wish I could give you a better answer. @Richard Schnyderite may be able to help out with that

Rivera’s gonna be here next year. My question is, can sammy bump to 41?

Imagine in fairy tale land that Suriano comes back and holds weight at 125, SeaBass at 133, and Sammy at 141. The only team that can match that bottom 3 would be Iowa
Suriano wont be back, however its been known for over a year that sebastian is coming to RU. My guess is sammy bumps to 141?

Who's to say Rivera wouldn't go 141? he bulked up once and really doesn't seem to care who he wrestles

Don't write off Suriano just yet
OGC.075dc0af5b7be2113ca13b2b26a8e466

Ive heard from multiple very good sources, yes.
I noticed him promoting New Jersey A LOT when he was interviewed after his match, and also that he didn't mention his love for NW. Maybe there's something to it.

Who's to say Rivera wouldn't go 141? he bulked up once and really doesn't seem to care who he wrestles
Pretty sure he’s wrestling 125 at the Olympics. I don’t see him jumping up 16 pounds for his senior season.

Last year Suriano lost to DeSanto, Micic, and Fix and then proceeded to get revenge on all of them en route to his national title. Only guy left on his list is Spencer Lee and it would be so cool if he denied Lee his chance at 4 national titles.

he's got to qualify the wt 4 PR be4 he gets a bid to oly's. better chance he goes down to 25 than up to 41 if he's coming to RU
Yeah, you know what I mean. Point being he’s going to be cutting down to 125 starting in April and I can’t picture him packing on 16 pounds of good weight between August and November if he is to qualify.

Even without transfers, Aguilar and Alvarez will be solid at their weights.
Of course, RU fans always want the best team possible.
Could you imagine a MMA fight between Suriano and Rivera?
Wow

Well that does it folks. Rutgers University did a tremendous job with this tournament, and it was a blast to cover. Sounds like many coaches want it back here again.

Be on the look out for more wrestling news, as there will be a lot going on in the coming weeks with wildcard bids, seeding, and more NCAA tournament news!

Ive heard from multiple very good sources, yes.

Suriano was there this weekend and his father was sitting in front of me during Saturday. Had a few nice words with him. I knew about the incident the week it happened but was hoping it would stay inside house. The Surianos are definitely an emotional group and Nick is his own guy, but time heals wounds.

I could see a RS for Sammy next year.

Even without transfers, Aguilar and Alvarez will be solid at their weights.
Of course, RU fans always want the best team possible.
Could you imagine a MMA fight between Suriano and Rivera?
Wow
Alvarez still has a RS to use so this would slot in Suriano/Seabass 133/141 perfectly.. also Jojo then can compete with Angelo for 149 or RS also... the puzzle pieces do fit..

Saw Goodale was following and liked a tweet from the Junior College Heavyweight NATL Champ Boone McDermott. Not sure if it means anything but got it believe we are recruiting him

Alvarez still has a RS to use so this would slot in Suriano/Seabass 133/141 perfectly.. also Jojo then can compete with Angelo for 149 or RS also... the puzzle pieces do fit..
They only fit if the wrestlers are willing to redshirt. Hard to convince Alvarez that a redshirt is beneficial especially if he AA’s this year. Aragona probably had more of a humbling season so maybe he sees the bigger picture. Goodale has made it pretty clear that its the wrestlers call.

They only fit if the wrestlers are willing to redshirt. Hard to convince Alvarez that a redshirt is beneficial especially if he AA’s this year. Aragona probably had more of a humbling season so maybe he sees the bigger picture. Goodale has made it pretty clear that its the wrestlers call.

Alvarez with a RS could make him a legit NC contender for 3 years. Would not be a bad option for him at all.

Saw Goodale was following and liked a tweet from the Junior College Heavyweight NATL Champ Boone McDermott. Not sure if it means anything but got it believe we are recruiting him
I think we are recruiting him. In fact, a poster said that the top juco 285 was here for the Illini dual

@SCNJ
In retrospect, considering that Rutgers offered 12 tickets to each of 3000 season ticket holders, and gave schools a few tickets each, which wrestlers' parents ended up with.
This here is pure bullsh*t and not how it worked. Are you now subscribing to the Matter school of thought? I have 8 season tickets on one account, 1st go around I could only get 4 tickets. Even told my season tickets group, 4 of you might be fvcked. Once allocations went out to each school and unused came back to Rutgers, then and only then was I offered the availability to purchase extra tickets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
He's an Iowa state champ but was a late bloomer, and under recruited. I really hope we land him. The slot is here for him. Take the opportunity and run with it, Boone. You will love it here.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Anyone else notice Joseph not allowing the 2nd place metal to be placed around his neck. Didn’t seem like good sportsmanship to me.

Also, how are those allocations going for the Olympic trials? I am hearing ZERO tickets are available to the Olympic wrestler hopefuls and their families. Who got those tickets??

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Its been 50 years since I wrestled in college. And apparently strategy has changed a bit, as I fail to understand choosing top in the final period when down 2-1, since its easier to score points from bottom or neutral than top. Could you be so kind as to please educate this wrestling fossil?

As someone stated before Scott is "insanely good" on top. I wouldn't go that far, but he has an very uncanny knack at putting people on his back when he you think he has no shot. It's his best position by far and the only reason he took top.

Alvarez gets to a late shot, but cannot capitalize. Gross wins 9-6, and the crowd lets the official know what they think of him

That was a POS job by the ref. Can someone explain please? When the brick is thrown shouldn't they have stopped the match to review? Instead, the ref let wrestling continue (and the second ref knew the brick was out there). Gross gets then gets a reversal and two backs much after the brick was thrown. Also, when Gross stalled his ass off the entire third period, it was a disgrace the refs failed to call more stalls. I'm not saying Sammy would have won, but he had no chance thanks to the ref. Sammy wrestled his ass off against a Division 1 champ and could have won this match if not for the ref.

Last year Suriano lost to DeSanto, Micic, and Fix and then proceeded to get revenge on all of them en route to his national title. Only guy left on his list is Spencer Lee and it would be so cool if he denied Lee his chance at 4 national titles.

This exactly. Lee is the only guy left. I met some really nice Iowa fans right behind me and we had a conversation about this. Lee is the only one he would want revenge on. Suriano might get that chance in the Olympic Trials, but NCAA championship wrestling just has a different feel to it in my opinion. Nick has the opportunity to get a second championship and shouldn't be discarded because of some bad feelings. The fact he was in the building yesterday is a positive one and him training back in NJ is even better.

Completely agree. Extremely well run and the atmosphere was tremendous. Between Final X and the Big Ten championships we come off as looking real good here. Nice job all around.

For the most part, yes. The bathroom situation was a little annoyance with the long lines, but they went quick. It would have been nice to be able to exit the building between Session 3 and 4 and return. Instead, we had to fight crowds inside and struggle to find food as everyone was running out of supplies BEFORE Session 4. I am a pretty healthy eater overall, but I didn't come to the B1Gs to be relegated to a veggie sub from Jersey Mike's or watching sorority servers scrape a 1/4 tsp of sour cream and/or a few drips of salsa on my soft tacos.

Can’t stop the match if there’s action. Whether or not there was back points didn’t effect what transpired after so ref was fine to let it continue. I have more of an issue with the counting for Alvarez’s backs than for Gross. Felt like Alvarez has Gross exposed for longer than Gross had him exposed but only Gross ended up with 2.

Anyone else notice Joseph not allowing the 2nd place metal to be placed around his neck. Didn’t seem like good sportsmanship to me.

Also, how are those allocations going for the Olympic trials? I am hearing ZERO tickets are available to the Olympic wrestler hopefuls and their families. Who go those tickets??

Go RU!
Diane

Any sign of behavior that isn’t perfectly what we want it to be should be looked down upon.

Reactions: rondi
As someone stated before Scott is "insanely good" on top. I wouldn't go that far, but he has an very uncanny knack at putting people on his back when he you think he has no shot. It's his best position by far and the only reason he took top.

That was a POS job by the ref. Can someone explain please? When the brick is thrown shouldn't they have stopped the match to review? Instead, the ref let wrestling continue (and the second ref knew the brick was out there). Gross gets then gets a reversal and two backs much after the brick was thrown. Also, when Gross stalled his ass off the entire third period, it was a disgrace the refs failed to call more stalls. I'm not saying Sammy would have won, but he had no chance thanks to the ref. Sammy wrestled his ass off against a Division 1 champ and could have won this match if not for the ref.
The rule is the referee is supposed to stop the match as soon as no significant action happens (ie - similar to a locking hands). If my memory serves me correctly, there was definitely some down time prior to Gross’ sequence, but I watched a lot of wrestling this weekend so I could be wrong on that. Everything’s blending together at the moment.

Favorite moment of the tournament was when Coach Brands got in the face of a security guard. Not sure what this RAC security guard was telling him, but he got upset and started to wag his finger in his face and kept wagging his finger and mouthing off at the guard as he walked by us in section 109. The RACguard

Biggest disappointment of the weekend for me wasn't even wrestling related. We were hanging out at the Brick House Tavern between sessions on Saturday and saw some dude sporting a white hat with "JoePa" across the brow.

[sick]

Favorite moment of the tournament was when Coach Brands got in the face of a security guard. Not sure what this RAC security guard was telling him, but he got upset and started to wag his finger in his face and kept wagging his finger and mouthing off at the guard as he walked by us in section 109. The RACguard

The RAC guard gave him the strangest look, like "What the hell is wrong with you?" A lot of the fans saw it. And we all were laughing. Brands is a such a jackass.

I don’t have an issue with Joseph not wanting to wear a 2nd place medal. I like that kind of attitude. Someone of his caliber shouldn’t be happy with 2nd place.

Reactions: ruready07
ADVERTISEMENT