ADVERTISEMENT

End the OOC schedule discussion.....it doesn’t matter

NC State got a bye with the #307 non conference SOS
Net 5 points lower . 8-8 Q1 /2 vs. RU that should have been 11-9. Even 20-10 we played 4 more Quad 1/2 (tougher) teams.

Bullcrap with the number of teams don't matter.
They didn't want 9 B,1G teams and only 4 ACC.

Last edited:
Or BAC, You could acknowledge that bad officiating cost us OSU and SHU.

It didn’t even out.

Stronger argument than out of conference.

Reactions: biazza38
either schedule top teams neutral or away, or win big against Q3/4
Biggest lesson is not to lose to bad teams. Last year it cost us to first 4 (along with a few bid stealers like Richmond) and this altogether.

Schedule is one part..not the only part

The whole thing is you need to clean up multiple things

Stop taking bad losses

Stop sending a message that you are afraid to play anyone

Stop having 4-5 holes on a roster

Your discussing items not relevant to the point which is schedule....you don't know NCStates recruiting vs Nevada vs Providence vs RU. They're all flawed teams.

The topic is OOC slate.....

everyone looking for excuses....this is ridiculous

Katz reported that we only had 1 of the TEN Q1 wins without Mag...so minny wasn't the factor.

this reaks of wheeling and dealing...let's call this what it is

we got screwed. only Rutgers fans look for reasons to blame ourselves for getting @ss raped...

But a home win, obviously is different.....tell me what playing Temple in Mohegan Sun or St Bona in Toronto did....or UMass in Amherst......none of these games are relevant to resumes.....
Doesn’t matter…

You have to win the games you’re supposed to. We should beat Temole..we lost! We should beat SHU..we lost! We should beat Minny..we lost!

Doesn’t matter if we played Gonzaga and lost…a better loss? Sure! Still a loss

No? I am not a bracketologist for one thing. For another thing, I said I thought “we were still in Dayton and sweating” though I will admit I was pretty confident we were in by today. But we were in on the vast majority of brackets in the bracket matrix too, so, *shrug*
Well then I humbly apologize to you. I must have you confused with somebody else.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Don't leave the RAC and play bogus games in Mohegan Sun, Toronto or anywhere else.

Run up the score and play Q3/Q4 like Iowa NC State and others do. You schedule too many potential losses like Michigan, Oklahoma State and others and you get no rewards.
I usually agree with you, but Pike needs to do better. From Carino's story, linked in another thread: "A non-conference stretch of schedule ranked 342s out of 363 teams surely didn’t help, either."

That's some real weak sauce scheduling.

Reactions: cRURah
Doesn’t matter…

You have to win the games you’re supposed to. We should beat Temole..we lost! We should beat SHU..we lost! We should beat Minny..we lost!

Doesn’t matter if we played Gonzaga and lost…a better loss? Sure! Still a loss

You don't get rewarded for any of those games.....none of it matters.

You're better off playing Q3 and Q4 teams at the RAC, developing your bench and piling up wins. Trying to listen to people telling RU to schedule up, is ridiculous at this point.

And don't tell me that playing Gonzaga at MSG is fixing things. It's not....there's a reason why Gonzaga hasn't played a true OOC road game in 4 years.

We were favored against Minnesota, Northwestern and Nebraska late in the year

Win the games you should
Agreed.

The performance post-Mag injury was everything. Go 4-4 in that stretch instead of 2-6, and we're singing a different tune today. And yeah, the fact that two of those losses were to Minny and Nebraska at home added even more doubt in the selection committee's minds that we were a tourney team without Mawot. The committee member they interviewed on CBS said that "player availability" issues were a factor for several teams, including RU.

Reactions: tm_nj
I usually agree with you, but Pike needs to do better. From Carino's story, linked in another thread: "A non-conference stretch of schedule ranked 342s out of 363 teams surely didn’t help, either."

That's some real weak sauce scheduling.

Your 1st and 2nd mistake is listening to Jerry Carino.....that's a separate discussion.

If someone wants to highlight Providence, Nevada, NCStates OOC slate, I'll listen or look at it....

Reactions: mugrat86
It’s a different committee every year with seemingly different criteria every year. Who the f knows what they will value next year
That’s the biggest problem. our NET sucked last year with a similar profile and we got in, our NET was great especially next to PItt and some others and get screwed this year. Looks like lots of politics with the bubble teams.

Your 1st and 2nd mistake is listening to Jerry Carino.....that's a separate discussion.

If someone wants to highlight Providence, Nevada, NCStates OOC slate, I'll listen or look at it....
That's a weird take, I'm not "listening" to Carino- just recounting the fact that our OOC schedule is weak sauce. You can also thank 4 quad 3/4 losses (just like Clemson, who is crying foul over NC State), and the committee mentioned RU and injuries. Add the three together, and we are out. Take one away, and maybe we are in. That's me listening to myself. Too many negatives--three strikes and we were out.

But to answer your question, we (84) were below NC State (66) and Nevada (61) in Non-Conference SOS rankings. In this one, and several others:

THE GUY FROM THE NCAA JUST SAID ON ESPN THAT RUTGERS INJURY ISSUE AND SEEING THEM NOT ABLE TO OVERCOME THAT IN THE GAMES THEY SAW PLUS THAT THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO PICK UP QUALITY NON CONFERENCE GAMES WAS WHY THEY FELL SHORT

Reactions: RUfromNJ and mtm183
Committee chair on ESPN right now saying that the OOC does matter.

Looking to next year, when is that scheduling done? Is it too late right now to schedule better OOC?

Lol how much softer should our OOC schedule be?

It's not about who you play, it's ending the dumb neutral site games like Toronto, at UMass and Mohegan Sun vs no-man's land Temple.

All 3 losses were absurd and not necessary and RU lost all 3. In each case a win at the RAC probably pushes RU up one seed line in each bracket.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
That's a weird take, I'm not "listening" to Carino- just recounting the fact that our OOC schedule is weak sauce. You can also thank 4 quad 3/4 losses (just like Clemson, who is crying foul over NC State), and the committee mentioned RU and injuries. Add the three together, and we are out. Take one away, and maybe we are in. That's me listening to myself. Too many negatives--three strikes and we were out.

But to answer your question, we (84) were below NC State (66) and Nevada (61) in Non-Conference SOS rankings. In this one, and several others:

THAT SIGHT IS TOTALLY INACCURATE AND I KEEP SEEING IT POSTED HERE

It does because your chasing the bogus neutral site win instead of just picking up the W at home...no one is looking at the

Exactly, fans arent paying attention, they just want to say RU played cool Holiday Tournament games. It doesn't appear to matter based on results today.

The key is getting to 20 wins and being .500 in your conference. Stop with this neutral game crap.....if someone tells me the ACC has a better league or schedule than the B1G, good luck with that.
If we want to be considered at TOP type program, there is no reason not to play in those "cool" tourneys. I don't care about the ramifications dealing with the NCAA tournament. Who says we can't win those games if we think we are a good team and program.

Don't just say that the Big Ten schedule is strong enough, because the chairman is saying they look at road wins. Who had more better road wins than us and what good did it do us?

Best of Luck,
Groz

everyone looking for excuses....this is ridiculous

Katz reported that we only had 1 of the TEN Q1 wins without Mag...so minny wasn't the factor.

this reaks of wheeling and dealing...let's call this what it is

we got screwed. only Rutgers fans look for reasons to blame ourselves for getting @ss raped...
Rutgers loss six out of the last eight games which was the main reason for non selection.You are what your record says you are.In Rutgers case they were outstanding on defense and mediocre on offense.As such Rutgers was a bubble team just like last season.Rutgers over came obstacles and achieved 19 wins and yes the Ohio State loss will always be upsetting to fans.Bottom line living on the bubble isn't a way to sustain success.

THE GUY FROM THE NCAA JUST SAID ON ESPN THAT RUTGERS INJURY ISSUE AND SEEING THEM NOT ABLE TO OVERCOME THAT IN THE GAMES THEY SAW PLUS THAT THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO PICK UP QUALITY NON CONFERENCE GAMES WAS WHY THEY FELL SHORT

I don't listen to them.....they probably assumed we would lose to Michigan and had the brackets already set by Wednesday AM this past week. How can you make a vague statement about injuries.......that's speculative at best.

Let's look at PSU making the B1G final and not moving one bit in terms of seeding.........they had their minds made up days ago.

If that’s the case …then please go back to weighing your team performance in the last 10 games with more weight …and what you look like at the end of the year , and stop with the “entire resume BS”

• Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Yeah but Pike says the B1G is enough of a gauntlet. We should schedule SHU, pray for ND/Louisville in the challenge and 8 against the likes of the SCLSU Muddogs.

The committee does not have consistent principles, they are retroactively applying whatever they can use against Rutgers. That is all that's happening here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT