ADVERTISEMENT

Games of interest - Bad luck edition

BeKnighted

Heisman Winner
Jan 15, 2003
Friday the 13th, after all. Conference winners in bold once again.

Big Ten, other RU opponents and ranked teams

none

Also

Albany 84 Hartford 75 - Richards had 28 for the Great Danes*
Boise State 66 New Mexico 60 - Broncos upset #1 and #2 seeds to win the Mountain West tourney
Southern Mississippi 65 Middle Tennessee 53 - Blue Raiders probably don't get an at large
Green Bay 63 Youngstown State 54 - bubble teams rooting for the Phoenix
Western Kentucky 61 Old Dominion 59 - ditto for the Hilltoppers
Arkansas State 63 Louisiana Lafayette 61 - ditto for the Red Wolves, although they're not rooting quite as hard

*Looking forward to having them in the mascot bracket.

Today:

Other RU opponents 0-0

Year to date:

Big Ten 115-40
Other RU opponents 146-166

There have been no palindromic scores in 29 games completed so far today. That makes 41 palindromic scores in 5,413 games this year. It's been two days since the last palindromic score.

Have their been any major upsets in the mid-major and lower level conference tourneys that would cause a P5 "bubble" team to be denied a bid? I look at the scores each day on Yahoo but their website really doesn't say much each day about tournaments nor does it provide team records as part of the box scores, so it's difficult to tell if anything of significance to Rutgers has happened.

Thanks.

Seton Hall and Gonzaga, although both of them probably qualify as bubble teams themselves.

I don't know about Gonzaga's resume, but I had figured both SHU and DePaul as locks for the dance going into their tournament, and part of the 61 certainties I was counting last week, including RU, of course.

Gonzaga: RPI 42, SOS 96, 1 RPI top 25 win (v. Dayton), no RPI 26-50 wins, 7-7 v. RPI top 100, no RPI sub-100 losses. The argument for Gonzaga is the win against Dayton and no really bad losses. (The worst loss is to RPI 68.) The argument against Gonzaga is that they really only beat one good team, and lost to a bunch of teams that aren't going to be in the tournament.

Seton Hall: RPI 39, SOS 176, 0 RPI top 25 wins (or games), 2-1 v. RPI 26-50 (all DePaul), 10-4 v. RPI top 100, but 3 losses to RPI 76-100 teams, loss to RPI 244 Marquette. Seton Hall has no wins at all over teams that are serious at-large candidates. The basic argument for Seton Hall is that they have 28 wins (hence the RPI), but the SOS is brutal.

If I thought the committee were still going to treat the BEast like a major conference, I'd probably have the Pirates in, but I don't think that's the case, and I think they're borderline. I could see them as the first team out or one of the last teams in. Creme has them as a 9 seed, and safe, but we'll see.

Regarding the MWCT (Boise State won auto-bid), it was a surprise to us Lobo fans. We collectively just knew New Mexico would win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT