ADVERTISEMENT

https://www.gofundme.com/FireFlood

Would contribute significantly to a coach's endowment fund on the spot, but only if it were an all-or-nothing proposition, complete with a deadline so there would be some urgency. Not some nebulous campaign with vague goals, but laser focused on funding the head coach and immediate staff.

You structured it in a way that this outcome was inevitable. You should just "own it".

It was good for a laugh. Reasonable as a protest. But as a way to raise money it was a "fail".

Ya think?

Maybe you can point us to how many 36 hour periods the University--with a professional development staff--raised 10k from over 100 unique contributors.

I'm willing to bet sometime around the dawn of never...

Why we ever stopped playing Colgate and Lehigh I will never comprehend. :joy:

Because when I played at Colgate, during the Shea era, we would have beaten Rutgers. We tried to schedule games against Rutgers, in fact, but Shea wanted no part of us. Go 'Gate!

Good idea and purpose....piss poor planning and understanding by the originators. Net result...great message sent to Barchi et al which is worth more than the money in hand thast should be refunded.

And any potential coach will say..... " I'll pass on that Rutgers job. I may have a year when I need to start 3 freshmen in the secondary, lose my best DT for the year, best WR for multiple games and I don't want the fans turning on me and starting campaigns to get me fired "..... :boxing:
Nonsense. We can just offer even more money and that will convince the potential coaches to come.

What's that you say? We don't have any money because instead of quietly funneling money to Julie to hire a new, improved coaching staff, our fanbase spent all it's money funding useless public denunciations of the coach? Because being mean beats being smart any day of the week and twice on Saturdays?

Damn. Oh well, maybe in a few years.

I want my money to go to the buy out or a new coach.
So earmark it as such. Or send Julie a letter of intent. The idea is to let her know how many people are dissatisfied and want action. The small money isn't affecting anything anyway. It's not like a couple hundred thousand is going to get the job done anyway. But a few thousand emails will get her attention, particularly if they are polite, respectful and forward-looking (and not threatening).

Or, you know, people can always try to threaten and/or blackmail a major type-A personality like Hermann. 'Cause that always works out well.

The only embarrassment to RU was and is Kyle Flood. An academic fraudster with more arrests than wins over winning teams

Bob Barchi has shown quite clearly, he only knows how to react to athletic department events when there is a huge media, preferably internationally viral, scandal.

I hope him and JH had to spend all day with legal or compliance, because this is the only way they will learn.

We the fans are not expendable.

We are in control. Want to play penny pincher? We will keep the media firestorm on a nice broil..

This is how millennials roll, and we are dominant in this fanbase because our time is when RU got good.

Keep it up and we'll make the RU admin wish they were Mizzou. Your move, Bob and Julie....

Nonsense. We can just offer even more money and that will convince the potential coaches to come.

What's that you say? We don't have any money because instead of quietly funneling money to Julie to hire a new, improved coaching staff, our fanbase spent all it's money funding useless public denunciations of the coach? Because being mean beats being smart any day of the week and twice on Saturdays?

What are the chances Julie is actually doing that? Sure doesn't seem like it.

If you're referring to the #FireFlood GoFundMe campaign, that money has already been promptly refunded to all donors now that the fund has been shut down. As one of those participants, I would be more than happy to contribute my donation and then some to a new coaching staff fund and/or coaching endowment.

But by next month Rutgers has to "put up or shut up", as they say.

Really? To me it shows a new coach that RU has a fan base that wants to compete in the B1G. Willing to raise money to get a better coach, and fill a stadium.
Until your not happy with him. If you really think creating a CIRCUS atmosphere is beneficial your smarter than me and I'm wrong. Keep going with it let me know how it works out for you

Reactions: rutgers48
A head coach endowment could be anywhere from $5M-$10M, from what I'm reading. Usually the latter (examples: Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame). I would have no problem with a fundraiser with a goal of, say, $1M to contribute significantly to that effort.

On the other hand, this article from Feb 2014 says that MSU was looking to endow their head coaching position for $5M, while $500K would endow an assistant coach position:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...in-the-offing-for-michigan-head-coaching-job/

Perhaps we could do the same. A GoFundMe with a $500K goal to endow a D-Coordinator or O-Coordinator position? Or even get such an endowment significantly off the ground?

Reactions: ssstevem
I have to admit that a Jason Pierre Paul handful of people I have a lot of respect for are really surprising with their reaction to the last few day's events.

Oh well...can't predict them all.

Reactions: bac2therac
A head coach endowment could be anywhere from $5M-$10, from what I'm reading. Usually the latter (examples: Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame). I would have no problem with a fundraiser with a goal of, say, $1M to contribute significantly to that effort.

On the other hand, this article from Feb 2014 says that MSU was looking to endow their head coaching position for $5M, while $500K would endow an assistant coach position:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...in-the-offing-for-michigan-head-coaching-job/

Perhaps we could do the same. A GoFundMe with a $500K goal to endow a D-Coordinator or O-Coordinator position? Or even get such an endowment significantly off the ground?

The problem is, nobody is going to donate to an endowment if Flood is the salary we're paying for.

We were closing in on 10k fast and that was after 2 days. You better believe that fund was going to $100k+ if we kept loosing. In fact RU may have shut this down because they were scared how much we could actually raise and their hand would have been forced.

That's still more than a million short of the buyout - and god knows how much short of actually paying the salary of a new coach. I'm not sure where you're getting your projections from but I'll go ahead and assume finance is not your strong suit.

Reactions: rutgers48
I don't get why people think it's embarrassing or negative. I think the campaign was pretty positive.....it showed everyone that Rutgers cares and people are willing to pony up. After an embarrassing season, this has been one of the more positives of the entire season.
Keep believing that. The papers picked up on it because they LOVE a circus. Just creating more fodder for them to make Rutgers look like a horses ass school. Keep up the good work. Hey let's fly the Fire Flood Banner as well. Let's see if we can make us look stupider than we look now

That's still more than a million short of the buyout - and god knows how much short of actually paying the salary of a new coach. I'm not sure where you're getting your projections from but I'll go ahead and assume finance is not your strong suit.

And getting the point is not yours...

The problem is, nobody is going to donate to an endowment if Flood is the salary we're paying for.
A coaching endowment is exactly the positive kind of thing to donate towards as opposed to publicly trying to fire someone. To link it to Flood is not looking beyond the tip of your nose. A coaching endowment is a long term thing and would be beneficial for any coach that ever gets hired here, forget about Flood. That's just short term thinking. I don't foresee him being here long term under any circumstances.

I said this in the other thread with regards to donations. Not every dollar you donate will be used the most efficiently or be maximized. Mistakes will be made whether it's BM/TP/JH or any other future AD we have. It's the nature of the beast. No AD is going to hit on every hire they make. Tom Jurich hire Kragthorpe, it happens. The donations through thick and thin and endowments like these help schools wipe away the mistakes that will inevitably happen, start afresh and recover more quickly from them. How do the "big schools" overcome mistakes they make in hiring or go out and continuously pay good salaries even after making said mistakes? It's because the donors keep on donating through the good and the bad.

I hear you, but I think that's shortsighted. Flood isn't going to be here forever (and maybe only for another month or two) and the endowment is to help the coaching position so that we can afford better in the future. The position is not endowed yet, so the money would probably not be going to support Flood, anyway. It would be to help get the endowment up and running at the minimum it needs. Then, over time, the larger the endowment, the better we can pay a coach.

But maybe the more feasible effort is to try to help with endowing an assistant position.

EDIT: Here is MSU's page regarding coaching endowments. $5M for a head coach, $500K for an assistant:

http://spartanfund.net/ways-to-give/endowments/coaching-endowments/

Last edited:
Keep believing that. The papers picked up on it because they LOVE a circus. Just creating more fodder for them to make Rutgers look like a horses ass school. Keep up the good work. Hey let's fly the Fire Flood Banner as well. Let's see if we can make us look stupider than we look now

Oh, you mean like every other big time football program has done?

Wanna know what looks embarrassing and stupid? Getting routinely blown out and doing nothing about it.

My work buddies have busted me over being blown out. Know what they said about the fund? "About time"

No- that's what we have Kyle Flood for. You whine about fans, but not about an HC that commits academic fraud?

Again, if Saban himself came out and openly campaigned for the Rutgers job, you guys claiming this is classless and embarrassing would be falling over yourselves on the way to the nearest ATM.

Guys, I know it's perpetuated so much here that everyone believes it... but it's not money. Yes, we can't afford a superstar coach, because of money problems. But, there are 10 AAC programs that pay more for their coach than we do. And no, that wasn't a typo of ACC... American Conference coaches. UConn pays more than we do! Their TV deal is worth $1-$2M a year per team. Our current TV deal is at least $9M/year, and we also have the longtail of a BIG TIME pay out that they do not have.

Even on crappy Big East/AAC deals, we somehow managed $2.25M/yr for Schiano. We've gone 4 years now with a super cheap coach, and thus saved a lot of dough. We have merchandise agreements, and naming rights that bring in good money. Likewise, we actually do pretty well in the ticket department - especially compared to the AAC empty stadiums that somehow pay more for a coach...?

It doesn't add up.

The problem is administrative gridlock, which is to be expected in NJ. We have scared little sheep that only make a move if they are forced. CYA. That's why this campaign was do damn important.

Now maybe we can't bring in a big coach, but we damn well can bring in a BETTER coach. Joe Moglia, Scottie Montgomery, Pete Lembo, PJ Fleck, Matt Rhule, [insert anyone else with coordinator experience], etc...

This campaign was stupid and accomplished little more than bringing about more negative publicity and provided a few folks with the opportunity to bring attention to themselves. Congrats - just when the negative off the field incidents went away, our "fans" go and create another distraction which undermines recruiting and performance on the field.

Schianos contract was funded by the school, donors and a marketing contract. It also left no room for coordinators to stay more than a year or two - not the kind of lifers you find occupying the coordinator positions at the big schools.

Flood was considered an up and comer as well. He may still be if we could stop with the stupid nonsense and just let him recruit without sabotaging him.

And no disrespect to the coaches there, with the exception of Montgomery, none of them are power 5. I'd rather wait a year or two and hire someone with power 5 experience. Once the new coach struggles, we'll be back here calling for his replacement and starting more ill-advised crowd funding efforts.

You lose all credibility when you suggest that Fludd was an up and comer. He was never considered that and he was never a top notch recruiter either and has shown no signs that he will ever become one. Nice try though.

This campaign was stupid and accomplished little more than bringing about more negative publicity and provided a few folks with the opportunity to bring attention to themselves. Congrats - just when the negative off the field incidents went away, our "fans" go and create another distraction which undermines recruiting and performance on the field.

Schianos contract was funded by the school, donors and a marketing contract. It also left no room for coordinators to stay more than a year or two - not the kind of lifers you find occupying the coordinator positions at the big schools.

Flood was considered an up and comer as well. He may still be if we could stop with the stupid nonsense and just let him recruit without sabotaging him.

And no disrespect to the coaches there, with the exception of Montgomery, none of them are power 5. I'd rather wait a year or two and hire someone with power 5 experience. Once the new coach struggles, we'll be back here calling for his replacement and starting more ill-advised crowd funding efforts.

You're hilarious. Flood as an up and comer? That's a great one!

Guy had 2 years as a Co-Offensive Coordinator in which he was demoted. There isn't one program in the country that would have hired him... as their Offensive Coordinator. Head Coach?! LOL

I'm really concerned that the Floodie crew doesn't do one second of research. They're like on auto-pay to RU athletics as if it's a bank bill each month.

Reactions: RedSpartan
You're hilarious. Flood as an up and comer? That's a great one!

Guy had 2 years as a Co-Offensive Coordinator in which he was demoted. There isn't one program in the country that would have hired him... as their Offensive Coordinator. Head Coach?! LOL

I'm really concerned that the Floodie crew doesn't do one second of research. They're like on auto-pay to RU athletics as if it's a bank bill each month.

Yeah... Apparently Jimmy Sexton thought so but what does he know.

Send a check for one dollar (made out to the replace Flood fund) to
Robert Barchi
C/O: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
83 Somerset Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1281
This would, indeed, be a more effective use of people's time and energy than a crowdfunding effort that is rejected out of hand by RU or flying a dozen planes with Fire Flood signs dragging behind them. It will allow voices to be heard in a way that the school doesn't have to reject out of hand.

I wonder what the big donors thought of this campaign. Anyone know?

I was waiting for one of them to plop $100k into it. I bet a few people were feeling uneasy thinking the same thing...
Don't you think "big donors" have better ways to express their feelings than futile gestures? If they're big enough, they already have the attention of RU athletics and can simply withhold donations if they want to make a statement.

You just hinged your entire argument on an AGENT. Yikes.

Yes, the most powerful agent in college football. Not sure he would waste much of his time in someone he didn't think would have a future. I certainly don't think the commission on last years extension was worth his time unless he was anticipating a bigger pay day down the road.

Don't you think "big donors" have better ways to express their feelings than futile gestures? If they're big enough, they already have the attention of RU athletics and can simply withhold donations if they want to make a statement.

Big donors and powerful folks take a long view. Theyre not reactionary.

The problem at this point is that Flood has tarnished himself such that any odds of him "making it" are essentially zero at this point. This wasn't sabotage. This was done by Flood himself with the academic issue. Had that not happened, the calls to fire Flood would not be nearly as loud.

Even setting aside the broken rules and tarnished image, the fact that Flood purposely documented his rule breaking is so far beyond the pale.

Flood would have survived 6-6 this year, and probably even 5-7 if not for the academic issue that he created. Now, he can't be saved.

Do you really want them to contact you? Right now you're just an anonymous concerned alumnus. It isn't like they can talk to you and agree to come up with a plan to fire Flood. All that would come out of contacting you is to put a name to the crowdfunding site.

You achieved your goal. Be happy with that.
I could remain anonymous. They could have messaged the organizer of the campaign like everyone else did. I received requests for comment from 15 different groups and didnt hear once from RU. It is an indictment on whoever runs the PR department.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT