ADVERTISEMENT

https://www.gofundme.com/FireFlood

Putting the following statement on the Gofundme site was in bad taste, in my opinion:

"Rutgers has spoken and the small donors don't matter."

If anything, they said the opposite. If it didn't matter, they would have ignored.

The administrator should edit. As many understood this, the point of this was not to trash the administration, it was to help them gain support for making a move, thereby strengthening their hand.

IMO there are several reasons why the school had to distance itself from the campaign. If they showed support they would be setting a precedent where anyone that was disgruntled with any employee of the university then they can simply start a crowd source and they will be heard whether their complaints are valid or not.

More importantly, if they supported a movement to fire a coach that is under contract, then rest assured that Fludd would sue and demand every cent he is owed and then some. Fludd will claim that the administration undermined him and the fact that they supported the campaign would be proof of that.

To those narrow minded people that say that this campaign was embarrassing, a waste, stupid, etc. are flat out wrong. The goal was to have our voices heard and that was accomplished. The idea that fans are engaged and are willing to give money to a quality product is one that they may not have taken seriously in the past, this campaign may cause them to change their thinking.

When you think about the position the school was put in, it was a no brainer for them to distance themselves but that definitely doesn't mean the campaign failed. In fact it probably accomplished alot more than some people think. The fact that the school distanced itself so quickly tells me that their is a strong possibility that Fluud will be fired and the school wanted to avoid possible legal troubles for openly supporting a fire Fluud campaign while he is still under contract.

Completely agree. There is no way that the RU administration could appear to sanction this. HOWEVER, you better believe that this exercise accomplished it's goal and then some.

As an aside, the public primary school that my kid goes to has a PTO that is an independent 501c3. They raise over 300k a year to fund additional teachers, fund a science room and pay for other operating and facility extras. They partner with the school, but they also have to be listened too. No reason one of these cannot exist for the Rutgers AD. Does not have to be a relationship based on animosity, but understanding that the parents (in the case of the school) or fans/alumni (in the case of RU) have a seat at the table.

Reactions: rutgers4life11
So much BS, so little time. Two quick points....

1. T shirts and banners don't mean squat. A petition means even less. This isn't Middle School where you're petitioning to eat lunch outside.

2. Anyone who thinks posters are disagreeing with you folks because we're supporting Flood has their head so far up their ass, they could read this by opening their mouths. Most object because you're just bringing more embarrassment and ridicule to the school and program at a time when we all should be doing whatever we can to support them. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fate of Flood or his staff.

What do you think is the best way to use the small monies of the masses on these boards for the betterment of the Rutgers program? You seem to be very decisive on what not to do. Any ideas on what we need to do?

S
So much BS, so little time. Two quick points....

1. T shirts and banners don't mean squat. A petition means even less. This isn't Middle School where you're petitioning to eat lunch outside.

2. Anyone who thinks posters are disagreeing with you folks because we're supporting Flood has their head so far up their ass, they could read this by opening their mouths. Most object because you're just bringing more embarrassment and ridicule to the school and program at a time when we all should be doing whatever we can to support them. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fate of Flood or his staff.
support them how? I already sit there watching them get out coached and run off the field.

Righttttt. Maybe if you added 3 0's to the number. You really think raising a whole $7,000 has any effect?

You folks are pissed off and want your pound of flesh. That's fine. What isn't is you've intentionally or unintentionally embarrassed RU and forced them into action. It isn't the action you wanted and maybe it's time to stop the nonsense. You'd probably have just as much luck if you called Barchi and told him you're going to hold you breath till he fires Flood. If you do, please do it lying down. I may not agree but I'd miss a couple of you lol.

Rutgers was embarrassed the moment they decided to directly respond to a crowd-funding campaign, one that had raised a relatively paltry $5k at the time, after only 36 hours by calling it an "unauthorized action" (even though the RU Foundation is a registered charity on GoFundMe) and preemptively saying that they would not accept any of the donations. In doing so, they actually legitimized a campaign that may otherwise have been picked up only by nosy local media and likely have faded into obscurity, almost doubled the pledged donations in a period of 7 hours or so, and angered alumni and potential donors at the sheer incompetence of their press relations and critical thinking. The fact that they allowed the head coach to respond to press questions about it is head-scratching (or perhaps he decided to do so anyway, with a mere response indicating an incredible level of buffoonery). A simple "no comment" by all parties would have sufficed IMO.

The original premise of the #FireFlood campaign, as I thought of it, was to get the attention of the highest levels of decision-makers at Rutgers and convey that a notable portion of the fan base has completely withdrawn their support for the current football coaching regime. It effecitvely accomplished two things: made it impossible for Rutgers to ignore and/or remain disinterested in those calling for the ouster of our head coach by or after the end of this season, and show that those who are of that position are willing to collectively put up money in order to get their point across (as evidenced by multiple offers of 4-figures with no actual strings attached). The notion of Aathletic Department management thinking that the status quo can remain for another season without serious financial and fanbase implications, as well as having individual larger donors/boosters having a monopoly over the ultimate head coaching decision, have both hopefully been disproven.

I don't really support additional attention seeking measures, such as flying a plane with a banner over the stadium or massive chants of "Flood must go." But I feel that this particular initiative has been successful at placing the AD in the correct amount of limelight and showing the growing power of crowd-sourcing and social media. I truly hope that Julie and those in a position to make moves are doing what needs to be done behind the scenes. In the meantime, I'll enjoy what is left of this season.

If someone wants to set up a go fund me campaign for another initiative, send me a link and i can update the account with it.

I think the best idea would be if theRU contacted the Athletic Department and tried to find a compromising solution. Maybe RU could set up a coaches fund. Where the fund would be designed to aid in funding coaches salaries and coaching hires when needed. Nothing specifying what efforts monies would be used for, but a general fund. RU fans could donate as they see fit and have their voices heard, but not in a way that would be so negative. A general fund that could help RU fund coaches salaries across the athletic department without stipulations on how to spend the money. This would be an improvement over the RU Foundation where the money wouldnt be used to help athletics, which is the real problem to begin with.

Reactions: ATIOH
After further reflection, I have changed my position on this.

Once this became publicized and they were asked about this, they really couldn't say nothing, as that would be tacit endorsement of the site, and the cause. And obviously Rutgers can't endorse a grassroots movement to fire Flood until they actually fire him.

So they really had to make a statement that they were not endorsing the GoFundMe drive; that they don't approve; that it is unauthorized, etc. And once they put distance between themselves and the drive, they can't turn around and say we don't approve, but we'll take the money. They have to say that they'll refuse the money, since otherwise their still giving tacit approval with a wink and a nod.

Beyond that, they really don't want to set a precedent that people can use donations to Rutgers as a means to further any political cause.

So Rutgers, even if they are looking for funding to fire Flood, can't approve of this campaign or say that they'll accept the money.

But that really isn't a bad thing.

At the most optimistic level, this campaign was never going to raise more than $50,000, which is less than 4% of Flood's buyout. With a $70MM athletic budget, this campaign is a drop in the bucket.

The whole point of the campaign is symbolic and to catch the attention of Rutgers. That has been achieved. Even if GoFundMe shuts it down today, it has already been successful.
I disagree with your mind changing. What they should have said was something along these lines:

While we understand and appreciate the sentiment of some of our most ardent football fans and respect their wish to voice those concerns in regards to their disappointment in in our recent losses. Kyle Flood is our head football coach and will continue to lead our Knights. We also appreceite the much needed funds they have raised donated. We thank them for entrusting the RU fund with their hard earned dollars. This money will be put to good use.

We encourage respectful discourse amongst our supporters even if the university does not agree with it.

Rutgers was embarrassed the moment they decided to directly respond to a crowd-funding campaign, one that had raised a relatively paltry $5k at the time, after only 36 hours by calling it an "unauthorized action" (even though the RU Foundation is a registered charity on GoFundMe) and preemptively saying that they would not accept any of the donations. In doing so, they actually legitimized a campaign that may otherwise have been picked up only by nosy local media and likely have faded into obscurity, almost doubled the pledged donations in a period of 7 hours or so, and angered alumni and potential donors at the sheer incompetence of their press relations and critical thinking. The fact that they allowed the head coach to respond to press questions about it is head-scratching (or perhaps he decided to do so anyway, with a mere response indicating an incredible level of buffoonery). A simple "no comment" by all parties would have sufficed IMO.

The original premise of the #FireFlood campaign, as I thought of it, was to get the attention of the highest levels of decision-makers at Rutgers and convey that a notable portion of the fan base has completely withdrawn their support for the current football coaching regime. It effecitvely accomplished two things: made it impossible for Rutgers to ignore and/or remain disinterested in those calling for the ouster of our head coach by or after the end of this season, and show that those who are of that position are willing to collectively put up money in order to get their point across (as evidenced by multiple offers of 4-figures with no actual strings attached). The notion of Aathletic Department management thinking that the status quo can remain for another season without serious financial and fanbase implications, as well as having individual larger donors/boosters having a monopoly over the ultimate head coaching decision, have both hopefully been disproven.

I don't really support additional attention seeking measures, such as flying a plane with a banner over the stadium or massive chants of "Flood must go." But I feel that this particular initiative has been successful at placing the AD in the correct amount of limelight and showing the growing power of crowd-sourcing and social media. I truly hope that Julie and those in a position to make moves are doing what needs to be done behind the scenes. In the meantime, I'll enjoy what is left of this season.
So a gofundme/goISIS under RU foundation is ok with you?

So logical follow-up, what are you doing then?

What I've done for the last 40 years....buying tickets, making donations at a level higher than probably 90% of the people who actually attended the damn school, and most important supporting the kids who put on the uniform.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme but in my life I've marched, protested, and supported causes that actually mattered. This is all nonsense as far as I'm concerned and pretty damned damaging to the entity you profess to support. Rutgers has had a tough enough time without you folks making it worse.

I think the best idea would be if theRU contacted the Athletic Department and tried to find a compromising solution. Maybe RU could set up a coaches fund. Where the fund would be designed to aid in funding coaches salaries and coaching hires when needed. Nothing specifying what efforts monies would be used for, but a general fund. RU fans could donate as they see fit and have their voices heard, but not in a way that would be so negative. A general fund that could help RU fund coaches salaries across the athletic department without stipulations on how to spend the money. This would be an improvement over the RU Foundation where the money wouldnt be used to help athletics, which is the real problem to begin with.
But what if the future coaching decision is to extend Flood again?

You really don't get it, do you?

Actually, YOU don't get it.

This wasn't AT ALL a good example of crowd funding. It was raising a pittance with the express purpose of putting the funds toward firing Flood. And they were raising money on behalf of Rutgers. Had it been worded differently, then I would be wrong. But it was worded in a way that was silly and unsophisticated.

Last edited:
The problem here is that small money has to add up to big money if you want to be heard.

Any can do that now without all that.

Plus you'd get the priority points.

Reactions: mikemarc1
Because some guy found the information and set it up like he was representing them...which required Rutgers to issue statement saying they have no connection with it.
Except in order to be certified by the cite you have to provide a Letter of Determination from the IRS. So doubt some schmo has that laying around his mothers basement. This was set up by the university.

What I've done for the last 40 years....buying tickets, making donations at a level higher than probably 90% of the people who actually attended the damn school, and most important supporting the kids who put on the uniform.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme but in my life I've marched, protested, and supported causes that actually mattered. This is all nonsense as far as I'm concerned and pretty damned damaging to the entity you profess to support. Rutgers has had a tough enough time without you folks making it worse.

Then you, of all people, should get behind this. You know this is a time/money investment for all of us, and unless we fight - we very well will have him as our coach next year.

I was there with you in the stands in the 90s man. It was brutal. This fanbase has worked too damn hard to get us to respectability, and you agree that Flood is tarnishing the wee bit of progress we've made.

Sure, there's worthy causes for everyone. But this is something that gives us joy every season... until recently. Do you want to spend the next year or two dealing with an idiot, who's also stubborn? Do you want to spend next decade trying to rebuild from the damage he's doing to the program?

Look, I respect where you're coming from. The point is, if you disagree with what's going on here... don't just attack, suggest another manner in which we can address the greater issue of our stumbling program. Right?

The barrier for change is supposedly lack of money. If people donate to a coaches fund, then that helps towards that goal and sends a message that, "hey, the coaches fund grew by 245% in the last 2 weeks, hmmm." Yes the money could essentially be used for any venture, but so could the money that was going to the RU Foundation....and in that case the money wasn't even going to athletics.

Can we put a ;) at the end of this newly written "general" description?

So a gofundme/goISIS under RU foundation is ok with you?

Where the hell does a sub-human ISIS come into play? If you are attempting to bring them in as a straw man to compare the further ideas being discussed, then you're not even remotely worth debating with.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with a large group of Rutgers alumni and fans soliciting donations for a cause that they firmly believe in (terminating Flood), because they feel that not doing so will hurt Rutgers University in the long-term, rather than just short-term as is already occurring now. Not only that, but the funds donated would have gone to the Rutgers foundation if they had not insisted on declining them, iregardless of whether Flood is retained as coach or not and free of all miscallaneous strings such as tickets, priority points, etc.

Any can do that now without all that.

Plus you'd get the priority points.

Where do you see a fund that supports salaries for coaches? I will donate to that right now. I see a ton of other funding options. My idea was for funding to go directly from donor to RU via the Foundation....so, yes....people get priority points etc. There is a way for the University to make this into a positive and a way for the little guys to be heard as well if it is done this way.

The only reason Flood is our coach is money..

If we have the money for a big name or up and an up and comer yet they decide to extend Flood with it, we have the worst AD in the country.

They could have done whatever they wanted with this money, too.

The barrier for change is supposedly lack of money. If people donate to a coaches fund, then that helps towards that goal and sends a message that, "hey, the coaches fund grew by 245% in the last 2 weeks, hmmm." Yes the money could essentially be used for any venture, but so could the money that was going to the RU Foundation....and in that case the money wasn't even going to athletics.

Guys, I know it's perpetuated so much here that everyone believes it... but it's not money. Yes, we can't afford a superstar coach, because of money problems. But, there are 10 AAC programs that pay more for their coach than we do. And no, that wasn't a typo of ACC... American Conference coaches. UConn pays more than we do! Their TV deal is worth $1-$2M a year per team. Our current TV deal is at least $9M/year, and we also have the longtail of a BIG TIME pay out that they do not have.

Even on crappy Big East/AAC deals, we somehow managed $2.25M/yr for Schiano. We've gone 4 years now with a super cheap coach, and thus saved a lot of dough. We have merchandise agreements, and naming rights that bring in good money. Likewise, we actually do pretty well in the ticket department - especially compared to the AAC empty stadiums that somehow pay more for a coach...?

It doesn't add up.

The problem is administrative gridlock, which is to be expected in NJ. We have scared little sheep that only make a move if they are forced. CYA. That's why this campaign was do damn important.

Now maybe we can't bring in a big coach, but we damn well can bring in a BETTER coach. Joe Moglia, Scottie Montgomery, Pete Lembo, PJ Fleck, Matt Rhule, [insert anyone else with coordinator experience], etc...

Last edited:
But the website and url had "FireFlood" in it.

People were donating for that purpose, otherwise they would just donate directly and get the priority points.
What is your point. If i had a crowd funding campaign with the purpose of going to the moon, they could choose to support it.

How about a positive theory on why they shut it down.

JH knows Flood is gone and that they are going to hire big. JH wants us to save the money so we can specifically donate to athletics when she burns the phones lines in a few months. Maybe?

Armin your a sharp one nothing gets by you. The stupidity of the whole concept is mind boggling. How do any of you think this paints yourselves or Rutgers in a positive light. Your only making this job less desirable than it is now just too stupid to realize it

What is your point. If i had a crowd funding campaign with the purpose of going to the mo
on, they could choose to support it.

The point is they were never gonna accept anything promoting firing one of their contracted employees whom they support.

Had it been for "a coach's fund" instead...I'd think it may have been accepted. But who knows with this school.......

This was a good first step, a statement, and it worked very well.

In my opinion, being that the main problem (for now) seems to be money, I suggest creating a GoFundMe campaign to endow the Rutgers Head Football Coach position. This is a recent trend that is a great help to schools (my alma mater Colgate has even done it for multiple sports):

http://espn.go.com/college-football...owments-exchange-namesakes-new-trend-coaching

Apparently, crew is the only coaching position at Rutgers that is endowed (for $2.5M):
http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/6/14/8726759/rutgers-athletics-bring-back-crew

I say, if we want to make a statement about the coaching and help the team, yes, it is a very long-term project, but this would be a worthwhile effort. A NYT article I found says that Rutgers is seeking to endow the position, so we would be contributing to an already ongoing effort that can do some good now and in the future.

Thoughts?

What do you think is the best way to use the small monies of the masses on these boards for the betterment of the Rutgers program? You seem to be very decisive on what not to do. Any ideas on what we need to do?

First Blitz, even though I disagree with what was done I want to commend you for stepping up and putting your money where your mouth is. That's the definition of a "stand up guy".

I wish I had the answers. I read many of the posts and realize all too well I can't hold a candle to most of you really bright guys. I'm hoping the situation will resolve itself without the stuff people are talking about here. Short of not buying tickets, parking, and donating in mass numbers, I don't know what you can really do to effect change. Of course even then you are assuming the RU Admin won't say fine and reduce funding for all sports to cover the losses. The net result? It'd put them even further behind our peers.

I didn't donate to this fund obviously so I have no room to talk but since you asked, I'd direct it to the fund that provides scholarships to the Olympic sports. If football is hurting I can only imagine how bad things are for them.

What is lost in all of this is the U could have easily contacted me and said HEY. Thank you for trying to raise money but we feel it would be more effective if you could do so under a different headline.

Agreed completely. This is what should happen. I'm suggesting, if you are willing, to reach out to them. Mostly because I have little faith in the RU administration to do this.

Armin your a sharp one nothing gets by you. The stupidity of the whole concept is mind boggling. How do any of you think this paints yourselves or Rutgers in a positive light. Your only making this job less desirable than it is now just too stupid to realize it
Really? To me it shows a new coach that RU has a fan base that wants to compete in the B1G. Willing to raise money to get a better coach, and fill a stadium.

I don't get why people think it's embarrassing or negative. I think the campaign was pretty positive.....it showed everyone that Rutgers cares and people are willing to pony up. After an embarrassing season, this has been one of the more positives of the entire season.

What is lost in all of this is the U could have easily contacted me and said HEY. Thank you for trying to raise money but we feel it would be more effective if you could do so under a different headline.

Do you really want them to contact you? Right now you're just an anonymous concerned alumnus. It isn't like they can talk to you and agree to come up with a plan to fire Flood. All that would come out of contacting you is to put a name to the crowdfunding site.

You achieved your goal. Be happy with that.

But the website and url had "FireFlood" in it.

People were donating for that purpose, otherwise they would just donate directly and get the priority points.

Perhaps you should peruse the previous 20 pages of posts--the second longest in board history behind my Mets of course.

The OP, and several others, made several things perfectly clear.

1. Any donation was going to the Foundation and there were no strings attached.

2. The entire campaign was symbolic--there was never any intention of raising the whole nut.

3. See 1 and 2 as many times as it takes...

You structured it in a way that this outcome was inevitable. You should just "own it".

It was good for a laugh. Reasonable as a protest. But as a way to raise money it was a "fail".

People who continue to suggest the money should have been earmarked for Olympic Sports of the B10 Champions fund clearly have no idea what the purpose of the exercise was about.

But I like breaking big rocks into little rocks...it's a character flaw of mine. So, let's play this out.

Dear Julie,

Enclosed is my check for $1,000 for the B10 Champions fund. As a dedicated fan and alum, I feel it is important to give our student athletes every advantage they need to succeed against our new B10 peers.

Go RU!

Sincerely,

Huddy

PS: If there is anything you can do to get rid of that asshat that coaches the football team, I'd really appreciate it.

PPS: Have you ever heard of crowd funding? I think it's pretty cool and maybe you could check it out.

PPPS: Do you prefer the tuna or roast beef sandwiches in the Audi Lounge?

PPPPS: Bac really isn't as grumpy as he comes across on scarlet nation...

PPPPPS: You ever eat LoBro?

I can hear the moving van coming to the Hale Center to pack up Elmer Fludd's crap as I type this....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT