ADVERTISEMENT

Insiders what's up with Nick

I can understand why he would not support a waiver. This is not the first year there has been talk of starters transferring. He MAY feel that there is a pattern of unsanctioned communication occurring that is encouraging his athletes to leave.
On BW, the talk was it was VJ because the rumor began as a starter, and then the OP backtracked and said he wasn't a starter, but would be one. Either way, it was nothing but rumors with no substance.
So your saying you could understand why Cael wouldn't support a waiver based off of internet rumors? You based your entire argument off of hearsay on an internet website to explain why you could see Cael not granting a waiver. That has got to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard of in my life and somehow, someway you tried justifying it.

Ok for about the 10th time......Nick can transfer to wherever he wants. If PSU denies a release Nick must sit out next year. Not a problem since he has a redshirt(cannot accept any scholly money). If PSU releases Nick he is eligible next season.
BUT---the BigTen transfer rules are separate from the NCAA rules. If Nick does not receive a waiver he will lose a year of competition and only have two years of competition left and must sit out next year.

Here is the wording
From the RU website
Big Ten Intraconference Transfer Rule

Any student-athlete who has signed a financial aid agreement ("Big Ten Tender") with another Big Ten school may not represent a second Big Ten school in competition without first serving a full year-in-residence (i.e., sitting out a year). That student-athlete is also subject to the loss of one season of competition. Exceptions are granted if a student-athlete's National Letter of Intent has been declared null and void.

NOTE: The Big Ten intraconference transfer rule supersedes the NCAA transfer regulations. Therefore, student-athletes cannot utilize the NCAA transfer exceptions to avoid Big Ten transfer penalties.

This. Most of this release talk is misinformed.

There are two issues here.

NCAA - without a release Nick is required to sit out a year. Since he has a RS available, this only matters if Nick wants to wrestle four and out. Not really a big deal.

B1G - separate rule which penalizes one competition year for transfer in-conference. Circumstances regarding receiving a waiver from this are unclear, but they are obviously uncommon (despite plenty of people throwing examples that aren't relevant out there).

I guess you could argue that by PSU NOT giving a release it might negatively impact the B1Gs view of any appeal for a waiver. But the fact of the matter is that no one knows that this is fact. Not Scott Goodale, not Cael Sanderson. The bottom line is that the B1G is not going to look to Cael Sanderson for guidance on granting exceptions to their rule.

But everyone on the BWI, RU, Iowa, theMat and FLO can now proceed to carry on about the release that PSU is not giving Nick Suriano. #FREENICKEY

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotshoe
So your saying you could understand why Cael wouldn't support a waiver based off of internet rumors? You based your entire argument off of hearsay on an internet website to explain why you could see Cael not granting a waiver. That has got to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard of in my life and somehow, someway you tried justifying it.
Holy over-reaction! I said if there was evidence of communication going on I could see it! I also said they were rumors! It sounds like Cael did grant Nick permission (at least a poster said so on BW) and I hope Nick success.

I saw that. Thanks for posting!! How connected is that poster? Is he a solid source?
I don't know anything about him. He is not one of the names I immediately recognize but that doesn't mean much as I am just a fan and not a person "in the know" He did say say NS to RU was a done deal weeks ago...

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
Holy over-reaction! I said if there was evidence of communication going on I could see it! I also said they were rumors! It sounds like Cael did grant Nick permission (at least a poster said so on BW) and I hope Nick success.
What over-reaction? You said you could see how Cael could restrict the waiver do to internet rumors perceived to be schools poaching his wrestlers. You stated it not me. I just said that's a really stupid excuse. Which guess what, it is.

What over-reaction? You said you could see how Cael could restrict the waiver do to internet rumors perceived to be schools poaching his wrestlers. You stated it not me. I just said that's a really stupid excuse. Which guess what, it is.

Way to only use part of what I said- did you read the first half of the sentence!? I said "Now, IF Cael felt that Rutgers has been communicating with PSU players without the required written release, then I can understand why he would not support a waiver. "

The big IF was that Sanderson had reasons to believe communication was happening! But go ahead and continue with reading comprehension issues...

A few days ago, someone on BW posted that Cael had granted Nick his release. I never read that anywhere else. Was this an opinion, or has anyone else heard any type of verification of this?

A few days ago, someone on BW posted that Cael had granted Nick his release. I never read that anywhere else. Was this an opinion, or has anyone else heard any type of verification of this?

It was posted here as well. Taking that as a fact, it seems obvious (to me at least) that they are seeking a determination by the Big Ten on the loss of a competition year, which is the only other hurdle. Otherwise this would've been announced already.

No one knows the situation on that, and it would be best if everyone just waited until it plays out. There are too many people just spinning out of control with speculation on the process and/or on Nick's reasons.

Reactions: RickB113 and Gebmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT