ADVERTISEMENT

MIDLANDS - DAY 2

After beating highly ranked Mecate in the last bout, if Ash beats 2nd rank Kevin Jack in consy finals , I think his ranking might actually improve, definitely not drop after losing to Kolozdnik and then beating him today.
Of course, If he beats Jack his ranking will improve or stay the same...Small chance he can go into #1 spot depending on how Heil and Mckenna does at Scuffle.. My prediction is if Mckenna wins scuffle he will be new #1, Ash #2 or 3 if he beats Jack and depending on how Heil finishes.
Ash vs Jack starts 9pm est

Six Scarlet Knights to wrestle in #Midlands53 Session IV. For 3rd: Giraldo, Ashnault, Lewis For 5th: Bakuckas, Hrymack, Smith

Man this program has come a long way in a relatively short time. Fellas the future is certainly bright. The guys are wrestling a great tourney. Very impressed with the results thus far.

So most of our guys outperformed their tournament seed:

#6 McCabe finished 9-12
#7 Giraldo will finish 3/4
#11 DelVecchio finished 17-24
#3 Ash will finish 3/4
#14 Dippery finished 9-12
#8 Theobald finished 7th

#10 Van Brill finished 21-36
#8 Lewis will finish 3/4
#1 Perrotti finished 9-12
#9 Backuckas will finish 5/6
#8 Gravina finished 8th
#10 Hrymack will finish 5/6
#5 Smith will finish 5/6

#NR Pagano finished 17-24
#NR Pafumi finished lower than 36th

Despite this disappointment of Perrotti and Ash getting knocked out of the championship bracket early, a lot of guys really performed well. As a team, I think we made some more noise this week. Its not that many years ago we would have had only 2 or 3 guys to watch in these late rounds today.

Last edited:
Somebody on another site said that Perrotti's injury was his finger, anyone else hear anything? Somebody on this site said it might be a knee. Hope he's back in 2 weeks, probably don't need him for Mich St.

Does anyone have 2014 Midlands results for comparison?
I know someone said the competition was weaker this year, but we have no control over that.

PS: Why is David Taylor Wrestling here? No competition, UNless he wanted to stick it to Iowa :)

So most of our guys outperformed their tournament seed:

#6 McCabe finished 9-12
#7 Giraldo will finish 3/4
#11 DelVecchio finished 17-24
#3 Ash will finish 3/4
#14 Dippery finished 9-12
#8 Theobald finished 7th

#10 Van Brill finished 21-36
#8 Lewis will finish 3/4
#1 Perrotti finished 9-12
#9 Backuckas will finish 4/5
#8 Gravina finished 8th
#10 Hrymack will finish 4/5
#5 Smith will finish 4/5

#NR Pagano finished 17-24
#NR Pafumi finished lower than 36th

Despite this disappointment of Perrotti and Ash getting knocked out of the championship bracket early, a lot of guys really performed well. As a team, I think we made some more noise this week. Its not that many years ago we would have had only 2 or 3 guys to watch in these late rounds today.

So the wagon is better today. Glad to see it. These kids wrestled their butts off out here these last two days. The days where your matched up against an RU wrestle as a gimme match are over. Talking to a lot of other fans here and nothing but praise for RU (and most of that is from Iowas fans).

Agree that the team has done well both days. These formats really provide a good prep for the end of year festivities. You wonder if we should be scheduling one more of these each year although perhaps just too much of a grind. Hopefully Gravina's shoulder does not become chronic.

Championship round :

125- Thomas Gilman , Iowa vs Ronnie Rios, Oregon St.
133- Emilio Saavedra, Old Dominion vs Josh Alba, N. Iowa
141- Andrew Long , Grand View vs Steve Bleise , N. Ill.
149- Brandon Sorensen, Iowa vs Jason Tsirtsas, Northwestern
157- Cody Pack, S. Dakota St vs Thomas Gantt, UNC
165- Tanner Weatherman , Iowa St vs Chad Welch, Purdue
174- Cody Walters, Ohio U vs John Schleifer , Princeton , via E.Brunswick HS
184- David Taylor, Nit Lion club vs Tim Dudley , Nebraska
197- Nathan Burak , Iowa vs Derek White, Nebraska
285- Nick Gwiazdowski, NC St v Tanner Hall, Arizona St

As of now, we are in 3rd:

1. Iowa 133
2. Nebraska 129
3. Rutgers 108
4. NCST 85.5
I could be wrong, but I think we have 3rd place clinched. I did a worst case analysis for our 6 guys versus a best case for NC State's 4 guys. I think the most they can make up is about 16 points dues to our guaranteed placing in all 6 matches left.

Reactions: Leonard23
High stakes for 3rd. Let's check @InterMat: No. 2 Ashnault vs. No. 5 Jack No. 20 Giraldo vs. No. 14 Montoya No. 17 Lewis vs. No. 20 Walsh

One thing that jumps out at me is that our non-scoring wrestlers (Theo, etc) scored 19.50 points. Only Iowa and Nebraska scored more than us from the backups/redshirts. The next team after us had around 6 or 7 pts from their bench. To me that suggests we have greater depth than ever, and it is exciting.

Hey Abro... what happened to Ash's "lofty ranking" going kerplunk? [cheers][cheers][cheers]

LOL, you remembered that awesome 'Kerplunk' sound ! lol. Well, it changed to a Rocket take off ear splitting roar after a 1 point victory over Kolozdiek (sp?). Big match though against K Jack will really be the tell tale sign of how AA is really wrestling at this point. If he wins ....Kvonderful ! Can't wait !

Reactions: jerzey devil
LOL, you remembered that awesome 'Kerplunk' sound ! lol. Well, it changed to a Rocket take off ear splitting roar after a 1 point victory over Kolozdiek (sp?). Big match though against K Jack will really be the tell tale sign of how AA is really wrestling at this point. If he wins ....Kvonderful ! Can't wait !

It's a big match, but this is his 9th match in two days, and Jack's 7th. For those who have wrestled, 9 matches takes its toll.

It's a big match, but this is his 9th match in two days, and Jack's 7th. For those who have wrestled, 9 matches takes its toll.

And 7 doesn't ? lol. I do realize AA wrestled more today being in the wrestlebacks, but if he loses, and I do not think he will, that shouldn't be an excuse. These guys are all in top shape, Ash more than most.

Agree that the team has done well both days. These formats really provide a good prep for the end of year festivities. You wonder if we should be scheduling one more of these each year although perhaps just too much of a grind. Hopefully Gravina's shoulder does not become chronic.
The 2 toughest tourneys have been Midlands & Southern Scuffle but they're the same week. It's a huge grind as guys like Ashnault are wrestling 9 matches in 2 days. Can't do it more than once a season. Wrestling 63 minutes of matches in 36 or so hours is grueling.
Agreed. It's brutal. Hope Ashnault has something left in the tank to pull out the W.

The 2 toughest tourneys have been Midlands & Southern Scuffle but they're the same week. It's a huge grind as guys like Ashnault are wrestling 9 matches in 2 days. Can't do it more than once a season. Wrestling 63 minutes of matches in 36 or so hours is grueling.
Agreed. It's brutal. Hope Ashnault has something left in the tank to pull out the W.

Ashnault is a gamer. His gas tank is endless. Dissapointed Ash won't get a chance to wrestle Hiel or Mckenna in regular season as I wanted Ash to get 1 seed in NCAA. Ash will win.

He did some real damage knocking off these guys in wb. Talk about heart. Unreal how he bounced back. As I said last night.

Shane Sparks is pretty good as a mat side interviewer and commentator, lot of passion.

Giraldo needs to finish.

Jack is controlling this match. Ashnault needs to get out & get a TD.

Jack is tough on top but stalls his ass off. Never once did he come out to the side or try to turn Ashnault. Should've been hit with stalling much earlier & a 2nd time. Ashnault lost 5-2. Was rode out most of the match but Jack stalled most of that time never trying to turn him.

Reactions: jerzey devil
fk man I'm the official jinx. Ashnault has to get better at getting off bottom. all Jack did was try to keep Ash on the mat.

Jack is tough on top but stalls his ass off. Never once did he come out to the side or try to turn Ashnault. Should've been hit with stalling much earlier & a 2nd time. Ashnault lost 5-2. Was rode out most of the match but Jack stalled most of that time never trying to turn him.
This.. All Jack did was try to hold him down... Credit to Jack. Ash has to work on bottom. Ash needs to learn from this in case they see each other again.

Reactions: Leonard23
And 7 doesn't ? lol. I do realize AA wrestled more today being in the wrestlebacks, but if he loses, and I do not think he will, that shouldn't be an excuse. These guys are all in top shape, Ash more than most.

Not an excuse, just a reality.

That was a bad decision to take bottom in the 3rd. Ash needed 2 takedowns to win the match and proved earlier he couldn't get out.

Jack's stalling, sorry "riding," on top is exactly what's wrong with college wrestling & why it'll never go mainstream or grow dramatically in viewership. These new stalling rules did nothing to address top stalling. Are these refs morons? You can't ride parallel & never try to turn without stalling. Call it the right way.

Richie Lewis loses 10-2 to Riders Chad Walsh. Lewis finishes 4th. Bad start tonight for RU. No 3rd place finishes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT