ADVERTISEMENT

ND

So if the networks approved money for ND, did they also approve the payouts for Oregon and Washington? In other words, did we lose potential future earningd when we added Oregon and Washington?

One more good year and he's gone for the NFL IMO.

We play 3 teams who are Pre Season Top 10 .

How many does PSU play ?

How many does Michigan play ?
Riley to the NFL is wishful thinking on your part. Riley current has a better life than just about any coach, college or pro. He makes over $10 million a year, lives in a gorgeous $20 million ocean front mansion, and has massive advertising opportunities in LA. He also has one of the richest of booster groups in college football that are now re-engaged with the program, and they give him the resources to get any player he wants.

Lincoln was able to pretty easily handle ND last year when he was scrambling to turn over his roster. This year when he and Caleb Williams put 50+ points on your defensive minded coach, the ND media and fans will be screaming for Marcus Freeman’s head.

ND isn’t Bama. If they remain independent they’ll end up ****ed six ways from Sunday
It wasn't that long ago that people were saying Bama would never be Bama again. Love em or hate em there are basically a perennial top 15 team since Kelly.

We have won 53 games over the last 5 years which ranks us 6th among all D-1 football schools.

Are we Georgia or Bama ?

Absolutely not and likely never will be again but we aren't USC who has won 33.
ND doesn't play a real tough schedule as it's padded with cupcakes

I'd be willing to bet the strength of schedule for nd is far less than other teams in the top wins over the past 5yrs.

edit, just looked going back 5yrs

certainly not impressive to boast of top 6 finish

WVU , Delaware and UMass this season-----that's awful.
I'm not one to defend PSU often but WVU is a power 5 - when's the last time Mich had a P5 OOC? I'll answer it - Washington 2 years ago and before that you have to go back to you folks in 2019.

They have a hard time making an Oct/Nov schedule as a full independent.

In one of their last seasons before the ACC hybrid arrangement, two second half home games were Western Michigan and Tulsa.
that ACC game commitment hurts them and 2023 isn't different than last year with Tenn St and Central Michigan on the schedule, but Ohio State on it makes for interest along with USC and the ACC's Clemson .
Playing Navy in Ireland will get views as well

2024 sees TAM on schedule along with (ACC contracted) FSU , then add USC and the U to make for a pretty good schedule away from ACC committed with 2 cupcakes (NIU & Miami O) but now a days every program fits them in to makes surenot every game is going to be a tough one.
Navy at Met Life will get viewers and be full of subway alumni

So they agreed to a price that will increase everyone’s share ? There’s an added-value tipping point and we may have reached it.

I think all would agree that NDs popularity and relevance is on the decline, more so the former.

The only thing that forces ND to move is the ACC breaking up. And if that happens, I take either or both of Clemson/FSU first.

You are letting anti-ND feelings seep in. ND is a more watched program (even last year) than either Clemson and FSU. There is zero chance that the BIG TV partners would be fine with taking on Clemson and/or FSU before ND (if ND joining was a possibility).

I'd be willing to bet the strength of schedule for nd is far less than other teams in the top wins over the past 5yrs.

LOL.

You are letting anti-ND feelings seep in. ND is a more watched program (even last year) than either Clemson and FSU. There is zero chance that the BIG TV partners would be fine with taking on Clemson and/or FSU before ND (if ND joining was a possibility).
I don’t have anti-ND feelings relating to expansion. Would ND have such high ratings if they didn’t have their own network (nbc) and on national Tv for more than half their games ?

For the same reason RU was added (BTN added to a new cable market), FSU and SC would grow the pie (with smaller markets of course but they are very popular programs.

With the astronomical B1G deal and north of $70M payout per team as annually (except Ore and Wash), would ND be worth adding any more ?

I know, ND had been perceived to be the Holy Grail of expansion, but isn’t their deal / broadcasting worth about $40M?

Adding them at full share and a 20th team at a half share minimum
would require at least $100M in added broadcast revenue a year for payouts to stay flat or grow, right ?
I know Delaney really wanted ND. As a fan I'm ambivalent and honestly tired of hearing/talking about what ND is going to do. Sure they'd be a great addition, but honestly I don't think it matters anymore to the future of the B1G. I think the idea that they could move their non-Football sports to the Big East much more likely than joining the B1G in football.

I'm much more interested in what's going to happen with FSU/Clemson/UNC/VA.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I get it, reading is a bore

if you look at the link I provided, I'll give just one example in osu, you'll see what Im saying

of the schools that finished in top 6, since that is where nd was, each of them had a harder strength of schedule than nd and still finished higher. OSU only had 1 yr in the last 5 where they were not top 3 in strength of schedule and finished 3.

ND plays a weaker schedule vs the top best winning percentages over the past 5 and 10yrs vs that group of 10 cited, not even debatable.

I know Delaney really wanted ND. As a fan I'm ambivalent and honestly tired of hearing/talking about what ND is going to do. Sure they'd be a great addition, but honestly I don't think it matters anymore to the future of the B1G. I think the idea that they could move their non-Football sports to the Big East much more likely than joining the B1G in football.

I'm much more interested in what's going to happen with FSU/Clemson/UNC/VA.
agree, the BIG doesn't really need ND as much as some believe in fact, that dynamic has changed. Scheduling is going to become progressively harder for ND and the gap in monies will grow. As the conferences grow and mandate more conference games, that leaves the independents out.

writing is on the wall

When it becomes time for the ACC to fall apart, the BIG will offer ND, UVa, UNC and Duke. They will accept because both the $ and prestige will be a step up. If for some reason they don’t, there are 20 other ACC/B12 schools who will.
ND alum here. This is the scenario in which ND will join the BigTen. Bring some good academic schools from talent-rich southern states and ND will follow (same perhaps can be said for Stanford, but I don't see that happening). I like ND's independence just for the scheduling flexibility. I enjoy traveling to see games at new venues every year, including in the next few years at aTm, Bama, Arkansas, etc. Hell, this year, I'm going to Dublin for the Navy game and to the Clemson game, and possibly a game in NC. But, if ND is forced to join a conference at some point (and, I suspect that time will come), the BigTen is the best fit.

Last edited:
agree, the BIG doesn't really need ND as much as some believe in fact, that dynamic has changed. Scheduling is going to become progressively harder for ND and the gap in monies will grow. As the conferences grow and mandate more conference games, that leaves the independents out.

writing is on the wall
Need and want are two separate things. The B10 doesn't need ND but it wants ND and for good reason. It would juice everything more.

Really, IMO it would take both the B10/SEC to badly wreck the ACC and I'm not sure that will happen. The B12 isn't a threat unless the other 2 act in that manner first. I don't know that tv will pay for more than a few names to move to either the B10 or SEC. If that's the case, the ACC should be fine and will survive. That's probably a good enough home for ND's other sports.

Conference scheduling is the other pressure point. 10 conference games could make things difficult but I don't know if that's happening any time soon. I mean the SEC didn't even go to 9 yet, let alone 10. Everyone wants more money from TV to do it and tv said no, at least for now. If they continue to say no, will conferences still go to 10? I don't know.

Michigan ooc scheduling philosophy is continually embarrassing. PSU's is def better - they did go to Auburn last year.
Agreed for the past few years, but they do have either Texas or Oklahoma each year from 2024-2027.

I get it, reading is a bore

if you look at the link I provided, I'll give just one example in osu, you'll see what Im saying

of the schools that finished in top 6, since that is where nd was, each of them had a harder strength of schedule than nd and still finished higher. OSU only had 1 yr in the last 5 where they were not top 3 in strength of schedule and finished 3.

ND plays a weaker schedule vs the top best winning percentages over the past 5 and 10yrs vs that group of 10 cited, not even debatable.

I was laughingt because you first said they play basically cupcakes and then actually did the research and found out, whoops, maybe you were wrong. Their schedules aren't that bad.

I don’t have anti-ND feelings relating to expansion. Would ND have such high ratings if they didn’t have their own network (nbc) and on national Tv for more than half their games ?

For the same reason RU was added (BTN added to a new cable market), FSU and SC would grow the pie (with smaller markets of course but they are very popular programs.

Uh, they are on national TV a lot because they typically get higher ratings than most. Not the other way around.

writing is on the wall

I bet we can find posts from you a decade ago saying the same thing. The writing has been on the wall for ND for 10+ years according to many BIG fans.

And maybe someday they will be right. But right now, most seem to acknowledge ND doesn't have to do anything especially if they get a new deal from NBC, which seems imminent.

With the astronomical B1G deal and north of $70M payout per team as annually (except Ore and Wash), would ND be worth adding any more ?

I know, ND had been perceived to be the Holy Grail of expansion, but isn’t their deal / broadcasting worth about $40M?

Adding them at full share and a 20th team at a half share minimum
would require at least $100M in added broadcast revenue a year for payouts to stay flat or grow, right ?

As far as I'm concerned, ND can pound sand.

Reactions: RUfinally2008

writing is on the wall
Lets see TDIrish LOL at that.

With so many of these out of conference games scheduled several years out, how can they be honored when there won't be room anymore?

Lets see TDIrish LOL at that.

ND will continue to play who they want when they want. If a deal can't be worked out with a school they'll find another one. There's never a shortage of teams who want to play them. We have future home and home games set up with Bama , Penn St and Texas A&M----open with the Aggies next year in College Station.

They aren't going to chase a conference for a few more million dollars. It just isn't the way their Admin thinks.

Whether that's right or wrong time will tell.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Am saying they’d be on natl tv less in the big10, ergo less eyeballs.

Maybe a couple of time less, if that? Pretty much any ND-BIG game now is on national TV. In 2018, ND played Northwestern on the road and it was a nationally televised ESPN game. Two years ago, ND-Wiscy was the noon National TV game on Fox.

I posted this in the Cal Stanford thread but I’ll put it too here.

They may be looking to buttress the ACC for down the line when others may leave.

Maybe it opens the chance to bring in the 4 corners schools down the line. I’ve always thought about WVU UCF UConn to the ACC possibly. Thinking about it if they add a western outpost now it could lay the groundwork for renuniting the corner schools with them. That would make the ACC a national conference in the future and most likely enough for ND to stay indy.

They may be looking to buttress the ACC for down the line when others may leave.

Maybe it opens the chance to bring in the 4 corners schools down the line. I’ve always thought about WVU UCF UConn to the ACC possibly. Thinking about it if they add a western outpost now it could lay the groundwork for renuniting the corner schools with them. That would make the ACC a national conference in the future and most likely enough for ND to stay indy.

If this is true it's clear ND will do/influence as much as they possibly can to stay independent. And I don't blame them. But if I were the BIG I'd operate as if ND was never going to join a conference.

I have no idea why the ACC would listen to us.

Well ND can always join the B10 and bring them along if they're so concerned lol.

If this is true it's clear ND will do/influence as much as they possibly can to stay independent. And I don't blame them. But if I were the BIG I'd operate as if ND was never going to join a conference.
I'd of already given them the ultimatum and then moved scheduling to force them out.

NO WAY ND wants to be left out of the largest markets with the national brands. That is the feather in the cap of the BIG

Reactions: RUHEADHUNTER
But it's really about $$$ er... broadcast partner. The B1G would be the far better home for ND hockey than the ACC.
If NBC would want to have more B10 games on their schedule (now they will have some games), look for them to pressure the Irish to schedule more B10 games or enter into a scheduling agreement with the B10. USC now is a B10 game when played in LA. ND would have Navy, 6 ACC games, USC and maybe 1 or 2 other B10 (Purdue, Michigan perhaps) and a couple of G5 games? Do they keep Stanford now that Stanford will most likely be independent?

As long as the ACC stays together and ND has the scheduling agreement for football, they'll most likely stay independent. I am assuming that dropping Navy is non-negotiable.

If NBC would want to have more B10 games on their schedule (now they will have some games), look for them to pressure the Irish to schedule more B10 games or enter into a scheduling agreement with the B10. USC now is a B10 game when played in LA. ND would have Navy, 6 ACC games, USC and maybe 1 or 2 other B10 (Purdue, Michigan perhaps) and a couple of G5 games? Do they keep Stanford now that Stanford will most likely be independent?

As long as the ACC stays together and ND has the scheduling agreement for football, they'll most likely stay independent. I am assuming that dropping Navy is non-negotiable.

You are seeing more and more people start talking that maybe being independent in football is the way to go. Chip Kelly made this point as has some prominent sports writers.

For almost two decades, people have kept claiming ND is going to have to give up their independence in football but as it stands now, maybe the question now to ask is when do all these football schools break away from conferences, leaving that structure to basketball and the Olympic sports?

Correct

We will never drop Navy.

It goes back to WW 2.

With such a large number of the ND students off to war the school would have folded if the V 12 Program hadn't been put there with the Govt paying for the facilities.

It's a debt of honor----non negotiable.

Only Navy can break it off and I cannot see that happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT